Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2057946 - 04/01/13 05:36 PM What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright?
Andrej L Offline

Loc: Ontario
Hi, I have a Knight piano ca. 1955 with some loose tuning pins and I'm planning to replace them with oversize pins. When I removed one pin I noticed there seems to be about an inch of empty space behind the pin block. So my question is: how is the pin block supported from behind and is it safe to hammer the pins in without doing any damage? Maybe I'm just worrying too much because it appears as though all the pins have already been driven in deeper previously, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2057971 - 04/01/13 06:05 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Have you thought of trying the CA (Superglue) treatment? Re-pinning seems a major undertaking for a 1950s Knight upright.

#2058003 - 04/01/13 07:29 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
It could be shining armor or chain mail.

(Sorry, the date made me do it!)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2058048 - 04/01/13 09:33 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Andrej L
Hi, I have a Knight piano ca. 1955 with some loose tuning pins and I'm planning to replace them with oversize pins. When I removed one pin I noticed there seems to be about an inch of empty space behind the pin block. So my question is: how is the pin block supported from behind and is it safe to hammer the pins in without doing any damage? Maybe I'm just worrying too much because it appears as though all the pins have already been driven in deeper previously, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Well, what can you see from the back? There are no backposts on a Knight so there may not be anything.

Knights are nice pianos. Alfie designed one of the nicest 4'7" pianos I ever saw. (I have to say, regardless of my opinion that it an exercise in futility).

#2058838 - 04/03/13 05:25 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: kpembrook]
Andrej L Offline

There are 4 backposts but they're only about 1.5" deep and the area behind the pinblock is completely enclosed.
I'm not planning to repin the whole thing, just a half dozen or so, and maybe I'll just use shims.
I'm just thinking I probably shouldn't hammer the pins in on this type of upright.

#2058884 - 04/03/13 07:46 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Andrej_L, before resorting to shims, why not try the CA (superglue) technique. I've been using it a bit recently for the odd loose pin instead of hammering further into the block. You don't need to have the piano on its back, and it works very quickly, really within seconds.

#2058900 - 04/03/13 08:37 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: David Boyce]
Andrej L Offline

I'm just a beginner when it comes to pin tightening techniques. I might just try the CA method, I'm open to anything, but I also don't mind spending a little more time and effort to try the method that will be most effective in the long run.

#2058907 - 04/03/13 08:56 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm just a beginner when it comes to pin tightening techniques. I might just try the CA method, I'm open to anything, but I also don't mind spending a little more time and effort to try the method that will be most effective in the long run.

In my experience, the CA is likely to be a long-lasting repair.

Are the loose pins in a row (straight line?) If so, then oversize pins are definitely the wrong thing to do and CA may not be too helpful. That repair would likely involve plugging and redrilling.

#2058940 - 04/03/13 10:55 PM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: kpembrook]
Andrej L Offline

No, They are not in a row. I don't think there are serious cracks, just an overall looseness with the odd pin that goes out of tune after a short time when the piano is played loudly. The Piano has spent years in a humid church basement.

#2058970 - 04/04/13 12:08 AM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No, They are not in a row. I don't think there are serious cracks, just an overall looseness with the odd pin that goes out of tune after a short time when the piano is played loudly. The Piano has spent years in a humid church basement.

Then I'd do the CA

#2059103 - 04/04/13 08:19 AM Re: What's behind the pinblock of a Knight upright? [Re: Andrej L]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I cast a vote toward CA, also.

Considering, however, that you mentioned that the tuning pins have already been driven (tapped deeper by a previous technician to increase tuning pin friction), it might be better to go ahead and lay the piano back. The trick of drilling holes in the *bushings may be worthwhile as well - to have a better chance of getting the liquid down in the block, before it reacts and hardens. You will have less room to work in the reduced spaces between the coils and the plate. If the bushings are sloppy loose due to the humidity cycles it has seen, you won't even need to drill.

*If the Knight has bushings??
Rebuilding & Restoration

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (*windowlicker*, accordeur, ajames, 36251, 37 invisible), 1361 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157140 Topics
2307790 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
45 minutes 20 seconds ago
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
53 minutes 19 seconds ago
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
Today at 08:33 AM
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
Today at 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
Today at 04:18 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission