Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2057631 - 04/01/13 02:38 AM LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Has anybody tried the Beethoven Sonata 10/3? ...
largo e mesto (58 measures)

By chance I heard this gem in the early hours on our local ClassicFM radio ... and later traced, played and recorded it ... not quite Ashkenazy but passable off-the-cuff.

Any comments?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2057674 - 04/01/13 07:44 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
I'm not sure where you want to get with this thread, but yes, I've performed this sonata in the past. This movement is often heard performed rather too slowly in my opinion (yes, it is largo e mesto, but it's still in 6/8 - so, I'd say there are TWO slow beats in the bar rather than...six, heh). There are moments which almost anticipate Schubert - Andras Schiff pointed out how the F major section reminds a bit of the A major section in the D960 2nd movement. Fantastic music in any case.

#2057693 - 04/01/13 09:14 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for that Helsinki ... I'm presently luxuriating in not taking the movement too fast.

#2057750 - 04/01/13 11:40 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: btb
....Any comments?

Hey, you started a thread!! ha
I'm probably forgetting a thing or three but I don't remember your doing one before in all my 200 years here.

Originally Posted By: btb
....I'm presently luxuriating in not taking the movement too fast.

THAT would have been my comment. grin

People often seem afraid to play it as slow as it wants to be. One time at a master class someone played the sonata, and then everybody was commenting that the slow movement really dragged and it needed to move more. When it was my turn, I said I thought the opposite -- that it seemed to drag because it didn't have the power it would have had if she'd played it even slower. The teacher smiled, turned to her and said, sit back down and try it slower. Everyone was immediately converted. I remember it so well because I think it was the only time I ever said something smart about music. ha

#2057756 - 04/01/13 11:51 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
I remember it so well because I think it was the only time I ever said something smart about music. ha

Nonsense, and everyone who sees you contribute to this forum knows it! smile

That being said, it's hard to argue on tempo online in this way - when I say that I think it should go faster than most performances I hear (in masterclasses, recordings), I have obviously heard different performances than others here. Actually, I did have a very slow tempo playing this, and I liked feeling some kind of 'weight' or 'heaviness' on each 8th note in many places - yet, I still think it must come out as 6/8 somehow. Just look at the first bars - there's just a chord per measure in the beginning, the harmonies are moving very slowly. Pick a slow tempo, sure, but make sure it works not just for the top voice but also seems agreeable for the alto voice, the bass and the chords/doublings inbetween those.

#2057757 - 04/01/13 11:56 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: fnork
....That being said....

See what I mean? ha

But seriously folks.... grin ....thanks for the elaboration. We're probably not that far apart on it but I'd guess that I go for a slower tempo. In any event, I think this movement is one of the greatest instances for considering how slow something can or should be, and how playing it too fast can ironically make it seem like it drags!

#2057762 - 04/01/13 12:13 PM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
In any event, I think this movement is one of the greatest instances for considering how slow something can or should be, and how playing it too fast can ironically make it seem like it drags!

Indeed! And in a good performance, the effect can be spellbinding - the audience will be holding their breaths in those silences/pauses (like in the very end of the movement) if it is played convincingly. And then the third movement comes...quite a contrast. While the whole sonata sort of centers around the slow movement, all other movements are so radically different in mood and character.

#2058100 - 04/01/13 11:55 PM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I played the first two movements of this sonata last year, it's wonderful music. The slow movement is the reason I learned it. I absolutely loved learning it and learned LOADS about shaping my phrases and saving sound for the climax towards the end. It's glorious and somber music. When I played it, I think I was somewhere around 9minutes 20 seconds or so - pretty slowly - but like others have said with the right authority and power while shaping each phrase convincingly, slown is good. Listen to Arrau's recording if you doubt that. My teacher played it with a much more 6/8 feel, and does so convincingly, but I really felt strongly about playin this slow and well. The tricky part for me was being able to keep the slow tempo I started with - I constantly wanted to speed up. It took some work but I loved playing it. One of my favorite movements I've played actually. Such weighty and powerful music.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#2058101 - 04/01/13 11:57 PM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
The middle section of this movement-- one of my favorites of early Beethoven-- always reminded me of Schubert.

#2058139 - 04/02/13 03:08 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

FWIW - Czerny studied with LvB, which make his four editions especially interesting, I think. He gives metronome markings for this movement, per eighth note, of 66, 76, 72 76. Those are in chronological order of the editions, so you could say his final word was 76.

#2058150 - 04/02/13 04:32 AM Re: LB Opus 10/3 largo e mesto [Re: btb]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for that wr ... for my own part, I don’t give Czerny time of day ... his comments seem to be lumbered by the tick of a metronome ... wonder if, between his much publicized studies with the Master ... whether one of his chores was to fetch Beethoven’s grubby laundry. (Beethoven is said to have slept in his clothes ... like I do!)

Back at the ranch, I dug out my metronome (needed dusting) ... and found myself wanting to settle for a pace much slower than 76.

But then, perhaps Beethoven’s passion to get done with 10/3 and onto a fresh masterpiece Opus 13 (Pathetique) might have resulted in LB revving up the Largo e mesto to a breezy 76.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (Allard, barbaram, 23 invisible), 1050 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309240 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
Today at 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission