2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 4 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Teodor, thank you very much for that information! It all makes sense - including deciding which instruments to choose, when to double parts and such. I guess here you are using your inner ear and understanding of the music to make good choices, so it's not just a matter of plucking the notes out of a chord that match the range of an instrument. What you write places limitations which are a special challenge. Thank you for the info. on Sibelius. Does this have the same handicap as Finale, where the introductory version doesn't allow you to do much, but the complete version costs a huge gob of money? (I don't know if Finale does the same thing).

I was wondering about the ability to change keys, because I studied violin for a number of years, and sharps signatures are often easier. Now I have my answer. In fact, I played your opening measures.

Well, you will have to understand what is comfortable and possible for the violins. I didn't think of that. It could be tricky. But in this case it should be comfortable.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Whizbang and Maechre - Good work.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Teodor Beethoven is a blast. there`s so much you can do with orchestration, too much for me to attempt at my age. His Bi Polar aspects always need particular attention which means volume nearly silent, then deafening. You`ll have fun doing this; I look forward to seeing the finished product! Well done man!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Maechre Fantastic reading and playing! Well done; this does not look simple. Rattling through all that without pause or mistakes? The next time I do that will be the first! You`re well under way . . .

"[Linked Image]"
Elle Great music on your new piano . . loved te Burgmuller one (2nd) so well and fluent. If I might say, break it down into sections and don`t be afraid to slow things down in between. . . fingerwork`s super!

"[Linked Image]"
Whizbang -There sure is some talent here this month . .that rag was not tattered . . good exercise for the fingers! Have fun . . . .What ya gonna play for Men`s History Week?

"[Linked Image]"
stumbler A gentle touch my friend. Just what the Doctor ordered. Relaxed, I lay back and think of . . food!

"[Linked Image]"
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by peterws
What ya gonna play for Men`s History Week?

There's no shortage of rags written by men. For instance, right now, I'm working on Cottontail Rag by Joseph La...waitasec! What sort of man's man, especially one from New Jersey, writes a rag named after a cute, fluffy, pink bunny!?

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Whizbang Great job "The Thriller". It makes me think of the golden era of silent movies! Thanks for sharing.

Stumbler As you probably know, this piece is sometimes referred to as "The Hungarian Dancer". It sounded like your fingers danced very nicely and gently over the keys! Well played indeed!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Whizbang: The ragtime is very nice. The dynamic is very good.

Working on:\

J.S.Bach Prelude in C Min: No. 2 from Six Preludes fur Anfanger auf dem
Am Abend No. 2 from Stimmungsbilder, Op. 88
60s Swing No. 1 from Swinging Rhythms
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is my second submission for April 2013.

Romance
An Old French Song by P. Tchaikovsky

M
M
Originally Posted by peterws
Maechre Fantastic reading and playing! Well done; this does not look simple. Rattling through all that without pause or mistakes? The next time I do that will be the first! You`re well under way . . .

Thank you! I played this for my Uni recital last year (didn't do as well, but I passed!). I practised this many times before bringing out the camera, and then recorded it several times before I got a take I was almost happy with . . . and then I still had to edit out a mistake! wink

But I think I'm just starting to get somewhere with my reading. I'm working at it!

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
weiyan - Unmistakedly French, from a hymn tune I imagine. hundreds o` years old.

You and your ole Joanna . .
are sounding in a goodly manner!

"[Linked Image]"

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Weiyan, you say that's P. Tchaikovsky, and I believe you - but the music sounds much older than his time period. There is a real medieval tone to it. Very nice!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Weiyan, you say that's P. Tchaikovsky, and I believe you - but the music sounds much older than his time period. There is a real medieval tone to it. Very nice!

The song is a course material of Jaak Sikk's online classical piano course. Let me ask Jaak about the author and age of this nice piece.

S
S
peterws - Schubert Impromptu 3 - You play this well, but the mismatch between the sound and video drives me crazy. Reminds me of a concert of Alfred Brendel playing Beethoven, our seats were so high up that the sound and sight were out of sync. Wouldn't have been bad except there was a lot of fast notes. Looked like the sound was created by him lifting his hands rather than by lowering them.

Teodor - Sonata op 10 no 3 orchestration
Interesting work but I find the synthetic strings detract considerably.

Maechre - Kingdom Hearts: Simple and Clean (Hikari)
It is still a good duration for the piano bar. Well done.
Also you handle the page turns quite well.

ElleC - Minuet BWV 115 - Congrats on the new piano. I enjoyed the minuet. I noticed the ornaments in particular were nice and clean.
- Arabesque - Burgmuller - This one is new to me. Again well played. It sounds like you are having no problem adjusting to your new piano.

Whizbang - The Thriller - more rags please !

Weiyan - Romance - you are picking up pieces fast

casinitaly, swissMS, peterws - thank you for your compliments.
Thanks, Amaruk, BTW I didn't know this one had a name.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Weiyan

The song is a course material of Jaak Sikk's online classical piano course. Let me ask Jaak about the author and age of this nice piece.

It is the sixteenth piece (not "song") from Tchaikovsky's "Children's Album", Op. 39, composed in 1878. A score can be found here: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/1/15/IMSLP154641-WIMA.fd00-Tschaikowsky-rom.pdf

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Weiyan

I don't know how the course works but there are some things that are not the same as the score. Tchaykovski didn't write some of those rhythmic patterns that you play. It sound very different. Also this is music from the romantic period, it needs more pedalling.

Last edited by Teodor; 04/11/13 10:47 AM.

[Linked Image]
The Tchaikovski "Album for the Young" pieces (Weiyan's Romance is one of them) are supposedly for children, and so for students. I got involved in an event on another site that featured another piece from the Album and my teacher talked about them. They look simple because they're in easy keys and don't cover a large range on the piano, but to make them sound good you need a lot of skills that a student won't have yet. Either that, or they were written for the kind of student they had in the old days that had a teacher every day of the week and practised for hours under close supervision. (If you read Czerny's "letters to a student" you'll get the idea.) Nowadays these pieces get assigned as grade 2/3/4 pieces and get played in an elementary way. When I was looking for ideas for my piece, I found one professional pianist called "Cubus" who did justice to it. I.e. it took a seasoned professional. Some "student piece"!

Second thought is about (us) students who are developing. Different teachers have different ideas. One is to move from easier to harder pieces, and learn skills along the way. One other idea is to focus on separate skills one at a time, because of the idea that we can only hold on to one new thing at any time. The one I know is to get the right notes with relatively easy motion, then worry about relative note value (two quarter notes fit into a half note), then tempo with even beat, then if you have that much control, play with rubato, dynamics etc. Pedal is in there too. So even if a piece calls for all kinds of fine effects, the teacher may want the student to be working at one of those points or levels I mentioned. As students we might practice in layers, along those same lines, adding to the piece as each one gets mastered, up to what skills we've reached.

These are the thoughts floating around in my head while listening to Weiyan playing the Tchaikovsky Romance.

I followed with the score. The right notes are there, I think, and generally an even pulse and note values. There are some tricky spots, and it's not a super-easy piece. There are a couple of slips in note value which may be the rhythmic thing that Teodor has mentioned: especially the G in the bass coming in beat 2 of m. 2, 4 etc. - it's early. But this is also a tricky spot if you're learning, because the G is being held across the measure for 3 beats when the music is in 2/4 time and that is probably why W comes in early. If I were playing this piece and I had reached my level, my teacher would say "Good. Put it away now. Come back to it later in 6 months when you have mastered more things, and then develop it further." At that point I'd discover what used to be hard is now easy, and I can do more.

Originally Posted by Teodor
Also this is music from the romantic period, it needs more pedalling.

Undoubtedly - yes. But ... pedal is a skill, and I'm told it is a poorly taught skill. If I had learned it, then I'd go for it, maybe after getting a handle on the notes (which Weiyan has), maybe with a teacher's input on where to pedal. If I had not learned pedal, maybe I'd learn it in easier music, and then come back to it. I agree that it would sound better with pedal. In fact, part of this piece is the fact that from m. 17 - 20 you suddenly have a contrast with the staccato in the LH, contrasting with the legato RH, and suddenly in m. 21 we're back to pedal and the highlight of the piece.

An advanced pianist could do things like bring out phrasing in the RH, make the LH much softer than the RH, add rubato and subtle effects. But we are not advanced pianists, most of us.

Weiyan, all in all a good job. smile I'd love to hear what you do with it a year from now. (I have a number of pieces "on hold for the future" - the one I presented in this forum was on hold for two years!)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

An advanced pianist could do things like bring out phrasing in the RH, make the LH much softer than the RH, add rubato and subtle effects. But we are not advanced pianists, most of us.

Weiyan, all in all a good job. smile I'd love to hear what you do with it a year from now. (I have a number of pieces "on hold for the future" - the one I presented in this forum was on hold for two years!)

I guess so, to me this piece doesn't even contain notes to read it's simple. But I do love to play it as well. I also play the Sick Doll and the Doll's Burial from this album and they are both great pieces. When I get tired of sucking at debussy, I go back to those just to prove to myself that I can still actually play piano decently laugh

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission