Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2058342 - 04/02/13 02:42 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: MacMacMac]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
dmd: You've missed the point. Someone (the OP) has made the decision to use a piano library. The hassle of connection must have already been considered and accepted.

And to further narrow that target market, they have decided there is no wish to ever have the option to utilize their DP without the accompanying hardware. Seems like an unnecessarily restrictive decision for saving $200 .... but too each his/her own.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2058345 - 04/02/13 02:47 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: dmd]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: dmd
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
dmd: You've missed the point. Someone (the OP) has made the decision to use a piano library. The hassle of connection must have already been considered and accepted.

And to further narrow that target market, they have decided there is no wish to ever have the option to utilize their DP without the accompanying hardware. Seems like an unnecessarily restrictive decision for saving $200 .... but too each his/her own.

Especially considering that the marginal manufacturing cost to include the sound generator is negligible...

#2058355 - 04/02/13 03:08 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
ES7 - RHII action < VPC1 - RM3 Grand II

I'm not sure about the pedals on the ES7 (is the sustain more than just a on/off switch?) but the other big selling feature of the VPC1 are the "Grand Piano Pedals" where half-pedaling will work.

ES7 - "32 exceptional instrument sounds" - don't want these, I'm only interested in the best available piano sound. As of now the best is only available via piano software.

Touch curves? Well I'm not sure if I will be the kind that will tweak these endlessly. I'm sure the settings that come out of the box will work well. One point I think is that the controller is designed with this in mind. Other digitals output midi velocity levels with lesser range and probably designed specifically for their own sound generator (not 100% sure on that one).

#2058370 - 04/02/13 04:13 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Vid
ES7 - RHII action < VPC1 - RM3 Grand II

Well, I have owned both of them (CA-63 with RM3 Grand and ES7 with RHII) and I prefer the RHII. So, I would not give any particular edge to the RM3 Grand action.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the pedals on the ES7 (is the sustain more than just a on/off switch?) but the other big selling feature of the VPC1 are the "Grand Piano Pedals" where half-pedaling will work.

The ES7 has sustain pedal with "half-damper function". If that means half-pedaling then it has that feature.

Quote:
ES7 - "32 exceptional instrument sounds" - don't want these, I'm only interested in the best available piano sound.

That is my position also. But it can be a nice diversion periodically.

Quote:
As of now the best is only available via piano software.
You may be right. I just have a found it difficult to get that "best" sound out of my computer and into the air.

Quote:
Touch curves? Well I'm not sure if I will be the kind that will tweak these endlessly. I'm sure the settings that come out of the box will work well.

My position on this, as well.

Quote:
One point I think is that the controller is designed with this in mind. Other digitals output midi velocity levels with lesser range and probably designed specifically for their own sound generator (not 100% sure on that one).

I no nothing about this. Doesn't sound like you do either.

So, from my perspective ... I could swap my ES7 for the VPC1 and the only significant difference I would notice in my day is that I would be restricted to my software piano sounds exclusively.

Not necessarily a bad thing. I would get used to it.
I would probably begin the journey of searching for a better hardware system in order to realize the "potential" of the software piano sounds I am using. Maybe would begin purchasing additional software in search of that "best" sound.

Maybe it would turn out to be a good thing. Maybe I would find that nirvana of piano sound ... Maybe ...

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2058379 - 04/02/13 04:41 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: dmd]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
I would probably begin the journey of searching for a better hardware system in order to realize the "potential" of the software piano sounds I am using. Maybe would begin purchasing additional software in search of that "best" sound.

Maybe it would turn out to be a good thing. Maybe I would find that nirvana of piano sound ... Maybe ...
A lot of us has this jurney behind us, having had a full-fledged DP and ending at not using its internals at all or uttermost at 5% of all the time.

#2058382 - 04/02/13 04:59 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
I wouldn't trade in an ES7 for the VPC1 if I already had one and not my intention to diss it either.

I started my "journey" with hooking up my old Clavinova (CLP130) with Pianoteq and then added the Bluthner add on. I've added Galaxy D to the mix now which is my current favorite.

I also only use headphones because attempts to use computer speakers or routing the sound through the Clavinova speakers had terrible results. Of course there is a myriad of options for outside sound output but I fear that might be a costly rabbit hole.

My priority for now is to replace the Clavinova with something that has a superior action and better sustain pedal (its just a switch on the Clavinova). I feel the VPC1 was made specifically for someone in my situation. I don't seem to be alone in this respect.

Maybe someone can comment on the velocity levels/curves? Am I right to think that a controller like the VPC are designed to take full advantage of the 128 velocity levels available? I know my Clavinova only outputs something like levels 10 to 100. frown

#2058433 - 04/02/13 07:34 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
...too each his/her own.

Precisely.

You are very happy with your ES7 and therefore do not feel the need to purchase a VPC1.

However, other players may be approaching the VPC1 from a different background and/or with different needs, so for these individuals the VPC1 is a more attractive proposition.

Just because an instrument has black and white keys, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who plays the piano is obligated to immediately rush out and buy it.

I, for example, would never consider purchasing a Yamaha 'Tyros'-style board, however I appreciate that there is a market for such an instrument among certain types of players.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2061061 - 04/07/13 11:00 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: curt88]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: curt88
The VPC1 has an Ivory touch preset, but Ivory has a family of pianos (Steinway, Yamaha, Fazzioli, Bosie). I'm curious which of these piano's actions has been captured in the Ivory preset?

Just a quick bump to highlight that this question has been added to the Q&A section of the VPC website:

http://kawaivpc.com/questions

Cheers,
James
x

#2061125 - 04/08/13 03:20 AM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
eulerdisk Online   content

Loc: Italy

#2061292 - 04/08/13 02:00 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have an MP-10 which seems to be the same keys as the VPC1. I also exclusively use Ivory II American Concert D. Is there a way to get these touch curves for my use? Are they a lot better than a flat curve?

#2061385 - 04/08/13 05:09 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Allan W.]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Allan W.
I have an MP-10 which seems to be the same keys as the VPC1. I also exclusively use Ivory II American Concert D. Is there a way to get these touch curves for my use? Are they a lot better than a flat curve?

The MP10 and VPC1 keyboard actions are very similar, however the VPC1's 'RM3 Grand II' action features 3-sensor key detection. This can affect the touch characteristics.

Regardless, however, I'm afraid it is not possible to obtain, nor load the VPC1's 'approved touch curves' onto the MP10.

Cheers,
James
x

#2061398 - 04/08/13 05:26 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Allan W.]
eulerdisk Online   content

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Allan W.

Maybe having the velocity curve sketch (a screenshot for example) is possible to (*manually*) extrapolate the data and than (manually) copy that into the velocity editor of another software.

* for manually I mean writing a simple script (in python) that take the curve image and write out the midi-in/out mapping in a text file for example.
It's not difficult at all but it'a extremely boring...

#2061590 - 04/08/13 11:28 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Yes, I can try to reconstruct it from a picture of the curve. Would anyone have a copy?

Also, what kind of difference does it make versus the default neutral setting?

#2061598 - 04/08/13 11:47 PM Re: Speaking of the VPC1 [Re: Vid]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Allan W.,

If you have a Windows PC, you can download and run the VPC Editor (albeit in demo mode) and find the exact values.

However, once again, the 'approved touch curves' are prepared for the 'RM3 Grand II' action, not the 'RM3 Grand'.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (A Guy, 36251, accordeur, adultpianist, 47 invisible), 1655 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153586 Topics
2250881 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude in G
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:58 PM
A Piano Song With Notes In It
by Ritzycat
04/19/14 03:51 PM
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
04/19/14 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
04/19/14 03:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission