Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2059556 - 04/05/13 02:19 AM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Albatrossone]
Wess. Chr. K. Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted By: Albatrossone

Ps - also asked yamaha about the more limited midi range so ill report back if they say anything ( though I personally think its a limitation of using the acoustic action and/or of the sensors ability to register the speed).

Absolutely! That is the only logical explanation about velocity curve, but somewhere in this forum was report about the same issues with CLP?
Why then?
And also, one important fact – at "vel. 0" the MIDI sends "Aftertouch at 127" control which spoils pianos like East WestQL.
It took me a lot of effort to find it monitoring all my MIDI devices.
I had to disable "Aft.touch" on software MIDI filter to use AG as a MIDI controller when playing EWQL Pianos.

The piano (AG) is good, but not the best because it has a number of details that have not been decided to make the piano working also as an external MIDI keyboard controller.

For retail EU price ca. €6450 this instrument had to offer more versatile control over the signal input/output, adequate but not sounding cheep reverb, MIDI key. vel.-curves and so on, to support USB audio AIFF or WAV or MP3 (play/import/export) format and many other options, that are found on such instruments as Kawai and Rolland, even that they sound compressed and emitting unrealistically tang sound (pop or rock alike) at high velocity.

As many of us that picked up AG, I chose it mainly for the keyboard action and sound (for composing and teaching my 6 y.o. son).
In addition about its own (AG N1) sound system: when I compare the sound to the same signal going to studio monitors (in my case Genelec) – N1 sounds nice, piano like and of course "woody", in positive sense.
However, playing much louder than normal piano does, there are specific resonant zones between 350-800 Hz due to the body on AG N1, which over exaggerates "piano acoustic".

Talking from my short (only 2 months) experience, this AG N1 sounds better when internal speakers and external Genelec monitors are switched together in parallel (at "12 o'clock" or on 50% volume control knob AG N1 to more than 50%-60% Genelec).
It fils the studio very nice with added reverb form Altiverb ("Shubert hall").

For sake of that treat, as many other colleagues, I also would suggest you to take one external sound card and to control the output of your laptop.
Mac or PC – it does not really matter, because the sound is being reproduced by the external device.

Just as an budget example:

http://www.musicstore.de:80/de_DE/EUR/Focusrite-Saffire-PRO-24-Firewire-Audio-Interface/art-PCM0009017-000

In EU is about € 250 and one of the most important option on it is the build in MIDI interface.
Thus you will not need to struggle with pulse noise, high "Pegel", full of issues "MIDI to USB" interfaces such as "M-audio MIDI spot" or ~3 times more expensive (ca. €63) but working very well "Yamaha UX16 MIDI Interface".

Just a pare of (DIN) MIDI cables – they are much cheeper than both mentioned above.
IMHO, on the ground of more than 6000 (EUR/USD) man pay for AG N1 it is as a kind of "must have" accessory.

I wish you success finding the best solution for you.

Edited by Wess. Chr. K. (04/05/13 02:23 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2062331 - 04/10/13 08:55 AM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Wess. Chr. K.]
Albatrossone Offline

So Yamaha have done some testing and found that the signal gets attenuated going through the N1 too. So definitely a widespread issue. They are going to look into it further,

In the meantime would a headphone amp do the trick to boost the line level before it goes into the piano? Just trying to think of something more unobtrusive than a mixer...

#2062351 - 04/10/13 10:27 AM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Albatrossone]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Headphone amp is a good idea.

#2062361 - 04/10/13 11:58 AM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Albatrossone]
emenelton Offline

behringer makes some nice Xenyx model mixers that are small

#2062378 - 04/10/13 12:51 PM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Albatrossone]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts

#2062491 - 04/10/13 05:52 PM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Albatrossone]
Wess. Chr. K. Offline

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Do you play "Ivory II" via host (Cuabase, Logic, Pro tools) or as a standalone app.?

As we know, the host applications have many advantages, but two of of the most important for playing "live" are the "output level control" and "reverb".
Personally I prefer – "Altiverb".
Before start playing on AG N1 (talking about "Ivory II") is necessary to adjust the velocity curve to your manner of playing.
More than 4 days after I picked up the AG N1 I experimented and find the most relevant set up for me.

With those changes (look at the screenshots) my colleagues and I feel the keyboard very comfortable and enjoy Ivory II American concert D.
Thus "ppp-fff" are absolutely possible.

In the "yellow" boxes are highlighted all values.
The lowest dynamic I get (after SONNOX "inflator") was -45.7 db (left pedal noise). When played A1-440 Hz with left pedal: ca. -39db.
After the insert on master output the highest value was -0.3db.

You can try it and I would be happy to discus this subject here.
I stay opened and would be thankful for any suggestions and positive ideas of yours.

Best regards,
Wess

Cubase 7 set up view:

Edited by Wess. Chr. K. (04/10/13 06:07 PM)

#2062512 - 04/10/13 06:34 PM Re: Ivory II through Avantgrand (N1) Speakers [Re: Albatrossone]
electone2007 Offline

Loc: Philippines
Originally Posted By: Albatrossone
Hello

Has anyone had any success doing this? I have tried however I simply can't get the volume. This is outputing from a laptop headphone jack. I can get plenty of volume hooking the laptop to a cheap low power 2.1 system.

I have also hooked up a PC with a decent audio interface to the Avantgrand line ins and I can get a reasonable volume if I use pro level signals (+4dBU) but still not great and that's at full volume.

It may be an issue with the Avantgrand line inputs - on paper at least it seems like there is a reasonable amount of amplifier power in there!

Is there something else I can do to up the power? If not I am either stuck with getting an external interface for the laptop and hoping it gives me enough volume, or getting a decent 2.1 setup. I know that both together would probably be the best of both worlds but I'm trying to keep everything uncluttered, hence the reason for using the internal speakers in the first place.

Any suggestions very welcome! - including 2.1 options if you think that's the way to go (budget is probably £100 - £200).

Cheers
Nick

PS - despite listening very closely to the decay, I am unable to perceive the noise gate issue mentioned elsewhere.

Feed your laptop signal through a mixer and send mixer output to line in of AG. That way you can adjust gain to your heart's content. A cheap 2 to 4 channel mixer will do.

I had a Clavinova CLP and it had the same issue. I was so happy after I bought a small Behringer Xenyx mixer.

Edited by electone2007 (04/10/13 06:38 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
10/01/14 05:43 PM
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
10/01/14 05:10 PM
Paul Newman Baby Grand Bass Strings replacement
by Sam4
10/01/14 04:11 PM
Mystery Steinway Grand
by Kirk Corlett
10/01/14 03:58 PM
Magnesium Protects Against Hearing Loss
by DavidWB
10/01/14 03:34 PM
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, 36251, acortot, 39 invisible), 1601 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157929 Topics
2319360 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission