2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Hmm, I'm actually going through the opposite situation, where my son's piano teacher wanted him to skip several levels for his Guild audition in June and I resisted. After reading this thread, I'm now starting to wonder if I, the "anti-tiger mom", am perhaps just as annoying/frustrating as the tiger mom on the other end of the spectrum since in both cases we are not following our respective teachers' guidance...

In my case, I adore my son's teacher and do respect her professional opinion. I also understand the kiddo has progressed rather quickly since he began lessons this past fall. But he's 5, it's his first time at Guild, and I didn't want to push him by having him skip multiple levels. I'm now second-guessing myself, however, especially since the pieces my son would like to play for Guild don't seem to be appropriate for the level at which he has enrolled. Would someone kindly tell me what type of repertoire the 6 elementary levels roughly correspond to, e.g. does EA = primer?, EB = level 1?, etc.

Furthermore, what happens if a student enrolls at one level but then plays pieces at a more advanced level? Is this ok?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Why in the world would any teacher let the parent dictate what level the student is entered in?

I had a parent who transferred her child into my studio this year. The student had completed level 4 of CM. The parent was very interested in having her continue in the CM program.

As I worked with the student, it became quite clear that there was no way she would be ready for level 5. I wrote a detailed letter to the parent, highlighting what the student was doing well, but outlining the deficiencies the student had and what had to be addressed before considering entering a new level of CM. I made clear that I would not enter the student this year and that we would be working hard to bring her skills up to par. I also asked them to increase the lesson time to one hour.

I told the student I would be writing the letter and what I would say. She was afraid her parents would be very upset. As it turned out, the parent wrote back agreeing with me and sent the tuition difference to increase the lesson time.

Why would you continue to teach a student whose parent tried to dictate things to you?

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Minniemay: That's great! I also agree that most parents do go well with what I tell them. Upon meeting them and the child I always make VERY CLEAR the fact that I can't simply open up the students head and insert the 'piano knowledge' inside. That it takes A LOT of effort from the student for this whole deal to work out!

At the same time, I do see parents eager for their kids to achieve, but they soon become aware of what's going on, after a students recital, or some face to face talk with them.

Still I do think that the curriculum (all over the world) are made for the 'average Joe' student and there are students who can skip levels. It's just that those who can usually are aware of their problems and don't go for it, while those who are completely oblivious of any problems they may have are very eager to jump a level or two!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by miniemay
Why would you continue to teach a student whose parent tried to dictate things to you?

The answer is no, don't let parents dictate teacher, but don't close the door completely either. As I said, set a goal that students has to complete to proof that they can skip the level would be a better, more reasonable approach.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Still I do think that the curriculum (all over the world) are made for the 'average Joe' student and there are students who can skip levels.

Rather than skipping levels, why not accelerate the student through the level. The level doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are important skills, concepts and knowledge to be gained. If you take the approach with the parent, somewhat like MM is suggesting, of recognizing that the student is capable of much more than the average student, but we don't want to leave out crucial material, you'll be doing the student a great favor and most likely win the cooperation of the parent at the same time.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Probably should phrase it: "Skip the exams", and not the level or the fundamentals of any level...

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Students are evaluated where they are at, not by school grade level. That said, the breakdown for the elementary levels matches fairly closely where the more "average" student would be, if they began in grade one and continue in the elementary level at grade six.

CM levels are not stuck with schools grades. CM students are supposed to be evaluated by where they are in their music studies.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I think it's time that I put my foot down and say no to skipping. It's also funny that the people who ask to skip levels are the parents of the most untalented, unmusical, and lazy students.

Don't skip material. Make it clear to the parents that you won't skip things that the student needs to learn, but that you will enroll the students at whatever level they are ready for at an appropriate deadline. I know one teacher who has some of their busier or less motivated students do one level every other year.

It sounds to me like there is intimidation or something from the parents, and that is the real issue, not CM levels.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Probably should phrase it: "Skip the exams", and not the level or the fundamentals of any level...

Exactly.

To use an example, one of my students just passed his CM exams with flying colors and his mom asked if they could skip a level in next year's exam. I explained that I won't skip the materials he needs to learn, but if he is ready for the higher level next year, great.

So what that means is he will complete the full level in Theory, Technique elements, Aural training, and repertoire. I'll even give him a "test" (probably a CM practice test) for theory, and evaluate the repertoire pieces. Then I'll move him on to the next level.

If he is ready by next CM exam, great. He's a gifted student so I think it's likely he will be.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by musicpassion

Exactly.

To use an example, one of my students just passed his CM exams with flying colors and his mom asked if they could skip a level in next year's exam. I explained that I won't skip the materials he needs to learn, but if he is ready for the higher level next year, great.

YES.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Then I'll move him on to the next level.

So you are letting him skip a level?

I've been doing what you're describing, assigning the CM level to the readiness of the student come sign-up time in November. However, a recent phenomenon is that parents want to get CM done as soon as possible, as if there were peer pressure among parents!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cardinal201
Furthermore, what happens if a student enrolls at one level but then plays pieces at a more advanced level? Is this ok?

In my experience, you do that at your own peril. Most CM evaluators were trained to look for "level-appropriate" repertoire. Of course, I've seen "level 4" kids' blazing through "level 10" pieces beautifully.

More recently, though, what I'm observing is that--especially at the upper levels--kids just play the bare minimum to get by. That being said, most teachers do take the concept of "level-appropriateness" to heart when they assign the repertoire.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Then I'll move him on to the next level.

So you are letting him skip a level?

I've been doing what you're describing, assigning the CM level to the readiness of the student come sign-up time in November. However, a recent phenomenon is that parents want to get CM done as soon as possible, as if there were peer pressure among parents!

There is peer pressure among parents, at least where I live. The earlier the kid finishes CM, the better, and it's most impressive of course...

Piano Teacher
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
But you are the teacher and the student cannot be entered by anyone else. Make your case and stand by it!

M.M., Piano
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MM
Make your case and stand by it!

Hopefully Barb is not ending up standing alone.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I know this would be individual and vary from person to person, but do you think there is a general pattern between a child's age and their ability to understand the music? Technical readiness is one thing, and I guess the understanding and able to appreciate the music is another.

One can understand the music but not having the technical skills required to play it. One can be technically ready but not yet understand it thus not able to play it musically.

In general, take out the 5% exceptions, at what age range, would a child be able to fully understand CM level 6 works and at what age range, to understand CM Advanced Level works?

Is there a pattern at all?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Monkey
to fully understand CM level 6 works

From my experience, I would say at least Grade 6 and up to fully understand CM Level 6 works.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Originally Posted by MM
Make your case and stand by it!

Hopefully Barb is not ending up standing alone.

Not sure what you mean...?

Piano Teacher
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think she means she hopes students don't leave if you choose to stand by your case.

M.M., Piano
C
C
I started another thread, but just wanted to add here--despite my hesitance, my son's teacher did indeed end up enrolling him at the Guild level she deemed appropriate. I was not aware of this when I posted yesterday, hahaha, but I'm glad I read this thread before finding out so I feel fine about it now. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission