Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2058491 - 04/03/13 12:17 AM Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?!
Piano Person16 Offline

I've posted my recent recording from the Hilton Head International Piano Competition in the recording section but here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKh5VYLHKNs

The link to the first movement appears in the description of the 2nd and 3rd movements-- I made it unlisted because it's particularly bad.

I love this piece so much, but I have such issues with it, both in regards to the technique and also with respect to creating a rich yet soft sound (and then being able to vary sounds between sections)!

If anyone's played this and has suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated, even if I don't play 81a again for a while! This next two months, I have the impossible task of preparing Rach 3 (although I haven't yet taken a lesson on it)...
Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2058492 - 04/03/13 12:25 AM Re: Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?! [Re: Piano Person16]
mermilylumpkin Offline

This comment is going to sound as random as can be, but I think I recognized you from that YouTube video and I just wanted to say that a few months ago I found your recording of the Bach G major prelude and I bookmarked it to my Pinterest board beside Angela Hewitt so I could go back and listen to it a lot:-) It is a real place of honor.

You're really good! I don't know anything about Beethoven's 81a but I bet you will do a good job!

#2058497 - 04/03/13 12:48 AM Re: Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?! [Re: Piano Person16]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Just did a comment on the other thread....

#2058517 - 04/03/13 01:50 AM Re: Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?! [Re: Piano Person16]
Michael Glenn Williams Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi PP16!

Since you asked for suggestions on tone and on technique... on tone I'd offer that you have a wide range/variety of "louds" but only one "soft". This is a slight exaggeration but in listening to the shape of the melodies, they seem to go from the soft level to a loud level, then stay in louds, but only to return to the one soft. If you could achieve more gradations in your soft and mezzo piano ranges, the line would sing even more.

Regarding technique, I'd suggest focusing on the pedal and on the legato. The use of more pedal and careful attention to the release of the pedal, especially the timing of it, could help add some depth to the sound. The legato sometimes came across as non legato. Careful attention to each note especially subphrase final notes or end of phrase notes could help give more singing quality.

Hope you like the suggestions!

#2058666 - 04/03/13 11:29 AM Re: Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?! [Re: Michael Glenn Williams]
Piano Person16 Offline

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I haven't really thought about the gradients of sound in piano before, but you can be sure I'm going to be doing a lot of experimentation in the practice room these coming months.
I definitely have an issue with phrase endings-- perhaps my aversion to singing stifles the natural impulse to taper my phrase-endings, but I need to work on this. Thanks for noting that; the more I am reminded it's a problem, the more actively I'll be seeking a solution!
AHA! You are the first person EVER to comment on my non-legato legato sound, which I myself have scrutinized many times. I shy away from Chopin as a result, even though his filigree is well-suited to my technical strengths. I'm guessing this arose from my childhood-- having learned without a teacher until I was ten, I just imitated recordings. Of Glenn Gould. I'm "specializing" in Bach where this seems to serve me better, but I'd like to acquire the flexibility to do my other repertoire justice as well. Thanks smile
Working on: Rachmaninov concerto 3, Mozart K488, Beethoven Waldstein, Bach Goldberg Variations, Stravinsky Petrushka, Bach Art of the Fugue, Brahms 118, Rachmaninov op. 39 no. 6 (Red Riding Hood), Chopin etude op. 10 no. 1, Chopin nocturne op. 55 no. 2, Bach Prelude and Fugue in g# minor (Book 2)

#2058687 - 04/03/13 12:26 PM Re: Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?! [Re: Piano Person16]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Four random comments, which may be worth exactly what you're paying for them. ($0.00) smile

1) Your voicing is excellent, but narrow. The melody is very prominent, the accompaniment is well in the background. There are shades of grey in between you could explore.

2) You tend to carry intensity between phrases. (i.e. when it's not necessary) Phrases should have beginnings, middles, and ends. You have great beginnings and middles. Ends could be handled with more care, then take a breath before the next beginning.

3) Don't put too much stock in the competition recording. Listening to it is fine, but I noticed they put the mid very close to the piano and aimed it right at the hammers. This is going to make it sound ultra-clear. The sound for the audience and judges will be quite a bit different.

4) You're awesome. You're playing Hilton Head. That's a big deal. Keep it up. 81a is one of those pieces that takes a while to cook. That you're struggling a bit is probably a good thing. Means you're an artist and not a robot. smile
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2058878 - 04/03/13 07:13 PM Re: Why can I not play Beethoven's 81a?! [Re: Kreisler]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
[...] 81a is one of those pieces that takes a while to cook. That you're struggling a bit is probably a good thing. Means you're an artist and not a robot. smile

+1

It's not that you can't play it. It just needs to "season" a bit. I think what you're hearing, Rachel, is that it is a little bit "green," even to your own ears. You need to give yourself a chance to catch up with this piece. You said you won't be performing this again for a while? That's good, because you'll be amazed at what you hear from yourself when you get it back out to work on it later after giving it a rest. Even bread dough benefits from a rest before you go back to kneading it! It's the principle of the thing...

Being both a Beethoven fan and a Rachel Breen fan, I listened to your performance this morning when I spotted your post in Member Recordings (the first movement, too, because I was curious). Very well done. I enjoyed listening from start to finish and marveled at the accomplishment!

--Andy

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
4 minutes 20 seconds ago
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Who's Online
79 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, Adypiano, 36251, 22 invisible), 1084 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327432 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission