Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2058413 - 04/02/13 06:22 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: shaolin95
I always say I saw it on History Channel. laugh

Long Live Liberace!

Now, even the museum has died.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2058466 - 04/02/13 10:31 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
I would move the piano so the long straight side of the piano is parallel to the railing (banister) ... and the player is seated with their back to the wall.

I wouldn't want to face the wall, I'd rather face the open room and\or the window.

So the tail is facing the wall ..another interesting idea. I need to create a 3D view of this probably. smile

I like that idea. Creating a 3D view is nice too--it will save wear and tear on everyone.

#2058468 - 04/02/13 10:34 PM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
supersport Online   content

Loc: Arkansas
Hi,
and congratulations on your new piano.

I used a tool similar to this to try out placement in my living room.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu

Resizable grand piano under living room, then generic---I used the 2 d version

Good Luck

#2058489 - 04/03/13 12:11 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: supersport]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: supersport
Hi,
and congratulations on your new piano.

I used a tool similar to this to try out placement in my living room.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Design-Center/Room-Planner/?WT.ac=designhelp_3d@sidemenu

Resizable grand piano under living room, then generic---I used the 2 d version

Good Luck

I just finished doing some lame renderings with another program but I will give that one a try tomorrow too! smile
Its funny but with the program, I made sure to get accurate measurements but somehow everything seems to fit better LOL
Even a 6-1' fits...if a bit tight laugh
Here are my not so awesome renderings...the "carpet" floor is there to show when the carpet ends and the kitchen/dinning room tiles begin.

First with the Y150 I have:

Then with the Y185 (in reality my goal was always a 6 footer but I am not sure if I want to change any time soon or maybe will max out at the 5-9...we shall see). In any case, I wanted to see how it will look.

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2058538 - 04/03/13 03:51 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2058546 - 04/03/13 04:14 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
maestro57 Offline

Loc: Canada
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in terms of decor on/around the piano, but, IMO, everyone should have at least one composer bust/sculpture in their music room ha ha. Get one of your favourite composer smile

#2058585 - 04/03/13 08:09 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: maestro57]
shaolin95 Offline

How 'bout having the long straight edge of the piano parallel to the railing so the player has their back against the wall looking into the room.

I actually did a rendering and it was not bad on the 3d image but I just prefer the front of the piano to be facing the room instead. smile

Originally Posted By: maestro57
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in terms of decor on/around the piano, but, IMO, everyone should have at least one composer bust/sculpture in their music room ha ha. Get one of your favourite composer smile

Excellent idea. Not sure how to pick just one! smile Maybe Beethoven as my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement (well all movements).

#2058592 - 04/03/13 08:43 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Utilizing the corner by setting the piano in an angle seems to work and look the best. This way you are fully using every corner of the small room. You are also able to get to the keys better from different directions.

To store books, I would recommend bins that go on the floor rather than a bulky book case next to the piano. This will save space and use the floor under the piano to store books.

Pictures should go on the wall since there is no space on the floor. Some of my pictures are on the floor as well as on the wall, as I have a bigger room to work with.

Hope ths helps.

#2058593 - 04/03/13 08:44 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Good morning all,

Dude, give us the room measurements! That way we can all play around with placements and piano sizes in 3D programs or floor plan programs.

What are you looking at if you are standing in that entry space? Dining room? ???? It would help in considering the total area.

We all need to tap our inner Martha Stewart!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2058599 - 04/03/13 08:56 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: Minnesota Marty]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Schubertslieder
Utilizing the corner by setting the piano in an angle seems to work and look the best. This way you are fully using every corner of the small room. You are also able to get to the keys better from different directions.

To store books, I would recommend bins that go on the floor rather than a bulky book case next to the piano. This will save space and use the floor under the piano to store books.

Pictures should go on the wall since there is no space on the floor. Some of my pictures are on the floor as well as on the wall, as I have a bigger room to work with.

Hope ths helps.

Thanks for the recommendation and comment. Yeah looking at that rendering it kind of gives me the same idea of liking that corner placement at this time. smile

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Good morning all,

Dude, give us the room measurements! That way we can all play around with placements and piano sizes in 3D programs or floor plan programs.

What are you looking at if you are standing in that entry space? Dining room? ???? It would help in considering the total area.

We all need to tap our inner Martha Stewart!

hahahahah awesome.
Width is 10'-8", length is 12'-8". The railing is 9-6" long.

The window is 48" x 48" and the door standard 36" wide.

Like almost centered with that living room area you will have the Kitchen countertop with the dinning table to the left of it if you were facing towards the piano.
I can add pics later to show it all. smile

Thanks a lot!

#2058616 - 04/03/13 09:36 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: Dave Horne]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Love your renderings!

I still want to see this one.

#2058623 - 04/03/13 09:59 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: malkin]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin
Love your renderings!

I still want to see this one.

I wish they looked better but they do help give an idea of things..easier than moving stuff around.
Ok I will post that other rendering later for sure. smile

#2058624 - 04/03/13 10:00 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
BobInAZ Offline

I like the ones with the piano jammed in the corner with the keys at an angle.

Bob

#2058626 - 04/03/13 10:04 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Love decorating!

Right now, the look is all legs. And nothing compliments. Too stiff. So I like your rendering pic 3. It breaks the legs and squareness look! And is still welcoming you at the keyboard.

One table near the piano. One table near the couch.

Cover them with a nice antique throw/taspestry.

Put the picture going down the stairs.

Put a taspetry/ fabric artpiece on the wall behind the piano. That will physically lengthen the height and be good for the acoustics.

Can the couch also be angled? similar and opposite the new piano location? Right now it looks square to the door but also looks like it blocks off the feng shui entrance to the home.

Yes on a bookcase or something to put music in.

Yes on a floor lamp by the piano.

Have fun with it. Break out of the box. If you don't like it, you can always move it again!

#2058630 - 04/03/13 10:13 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you don't have many visitors then the piano, like Bob in AZ recommends is best..
but if on the other hand you will have an audience its best to run parallel..
I noticed there isn't that much distance between the door and the piano, or is this due
to the program your using? don't forget the chairs... smile

#2058633 - 04/03/13 10:18 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: lilylady]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: BobInAZ
I like the ones with the piano jammed in the corner with the keys at an angle.

Bob

I am almost decided to go with it..really growing on me. smile
Originally Posted By: lilylady
Love decorating!

Right now, the look is all legs. And nothing compliments. Too stiff. So I like your rendering pic 3. It breaks the legs and squareness look! And is still welcoming you at the keyboard.

One table near the piano. One table near the couch.

Cover them with a nice antique throw/taspestry.

Put the picture going down the stairs.

Put a taspetry/ fabric artpiece on the wall behind the piano. That will physically lengthen the height and be good for the acoustics.

Can the couch also be angled? similar and opposite the new piano location? Right now it looks square to the door but also looks like it blocks off the feng shui entrance to the home.

Yes on a bookcase or something to put music in.

Yes on a floor lamp by the piano.

Have fun with it. Break out of the box. If you don't like it, you can always move it again!

Very nice suggestions and I am surely taking notes of all this. I am not going with the SOFA though. I am going with smaller chairs which I think will make it look more spacious and can be angled as recommended by Marty before. smile

#2058640 - 04/03/13 10:40 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: shaolin95]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I like the last option, with the piano angled and open toward the stairway rail. (But I think your render has the topstick in the wrong hole. Other pianists have made the same mistake.)

Edited by Thrill Science (04/03/13 10:41 AM)

#2058645 - 04/03/13 10:47 AM Re: Need some Piano room decor recommendations please... [Re: Thrill Science]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Newbie
If you don't have many visitors then the piano, like Bob in AZ recommends is best..
but if on the other hand you will have an audience its best to run parallel..
I noticed there isn't that much distance between the door and the piano, or is this due
to the program your using? don't forget the chairs... smile

Not really expecting any audiences so that part is not a problem. smile

MMM that door is rarely used and just partially opened but it does not get near the piano..guess my rendering is a bit off on that side. smile
Originally Posted By: Thrill Science
I like the last option, with the piano angled and open toward the stairway rail. (But I think your render has the topstick in the wrong hole. Other pianists have made the same mistake.)

Seems to me that the angled view is really becoming the favorite. I had my doubts until I did the rendering. Oh the model was taken from the internet..I have no skills for that laugh

PS:I just made a big mistake! I tested the Y185! laugh Oh that bass... smile

Edited by shaolin95 (04/03/13 01:55 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, Adam Coleman, 36251, A Guy, 46 invisible), 1695 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153578 Topics
2250824 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
the government and tuning.
by kc_lee
04/19/14 12:33 PM
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission