Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2057560 - 03/31/13 09:54 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
Just thought of another one...Tom Hanks and his boss in "Big" jumping Chopsticks on that maxi-keyboard.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2057745 - 04/01/13 11:29 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
The Seventh Veil with Ann Todd and James Mason is a very good movie. Good story, great music by Benjamin Frankel. Lots of really good acting.

#2057769 - 04/01/13 12:28 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
A movie I always associate with 2 of my favorite things, pianos and vacations in Mexico, is "10". A very funny movie with Dudley Moore, who was an accomplished pianist.

#2057770 - 04/01/13 12:35 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
LarryShone Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
I quite like the scene in Shine where after a long period without a piano he stumbles upon an old upright in an apartment and his passion is re-ignited.

Edited by LarryShone (04/01/13 12:35 PM)

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2057781 - 04/01/13 01:13 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I like the scene from "Harvey" when Pooka plays Prokofiev.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2057798 - 04/01/13 01:35 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
My favorite silly piano movie is the Peter Sellers, "The World of Henry Orient".
Great spoof and stupidly hilarious.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech

#2057822 - 04/01/13 02:39 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
shaolin95 Offline

It has to be Edward playing piano on Breaking Dawn part 2...ok ok its April...sue me! laugh

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2057888 - 04/01/13 04:16 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Sauter Offline

Loc: Mexico City
Composer Silvestre Revueltas in a film about the mexican revolution (lets go with Pancho Villa).
He play the piano when a cantina fight begins. So he pus on this
"Please dont shoot to the piano player"

#2057947 - 04/01/13 05:40 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like this thead has been
resurrected! Here's my pick:

#2058171 - 04/02/13 07:04 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
drazh Offline

hi
beethoven documentary by BBC
when angry beethoven plays 3rd movement of moonlight sonata in front of a lady i think his love

#2058193 - 04/02/13 08:32 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
It's been said here in this thread before but...

I love the scene in The Fabulous Baker Boys where Jack is in the smoky afterhours bar playing jazz. The thing he really loves and not the popular songs that are his "job" to play. smokin

Definitly a good story/movie and for the most part good piano and singing. The rehearsals for the new singer are hilarious.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2058289 - 04/02/13 12:28 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
There are lots of cartoons and animated movies with pianos in them.

Tom & Jerry's "Cat Concerto" was already mentioned (great short), but "Johann Mouse" also deserves a mention, where Tom learns to play a waltz, one note at a time, and then, he plays like a great virtuoso.

There's a Pink Panther cartoon where the Pink Panther is chased by an agressive piano. I don't know the title; I believe it plays mostly at a winter sports resort.

And of more recent time: Shrek 2 and 3, and Tangled. Both have pianists with a hook for a hand, but both manage to play well.

#2058291 - 04/02/13 12:30 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Chris Goslow Offline

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: Plinky88
Looks like this thead has been
resurrected! Here's my pick:

+1

#2058294 - 04/02/13 12:32 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Annitenth]
Chris Goslow Offline

Originally Posted By: Annitenth
Just thought of another one...Tom Hanks and his boss in "Big" jumping Chopsticks on that maxi-keyboard.

That scene definitely occurred to me as well.

#2058548 - 04/03/13 04:19 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
miscrms Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Not a piano movie per se, but one that comes to mind is Topsy Turvy. A very under-appreciated film IMHO, though my opinion is probably tainted by the fact that I played in the orchestra for my first production of the Mikado at the age of 12 and have loved Gilbert and Sullivan's works ever since wink

One of the things that I think really comes through in the film is the way in which the piano permeated Victorian life. They keep showing up everywhere, and really enhance the emotion of a number of great scenes. Part of what makes this film so special (again IMHO) is the unique way in which it was created. As with a number of Mike Leigh films, there was no script going in. Once hired, the actors spent months studying their characters and the period, and then began the process of creating each scene through collaborative improvisation. A method that I thought created one of the most "real" seeming period/biographical films I've ever seen.

Equally important, the director insisted that all of the actors be able to sing and/or play all of the music in the film. As a result, the performances are a bit unpolished perhaps, but charmingly authentic and believable. Nothing drives me more crazy than a film about music in which the actors obviously know nothing about music. Allan Corduner cast as Sullivan for example, had worked toward a career as a concert pianist before becoming an actor and had to prepare a variety of pieces in different styles as part of his audition for the role. The scenes with Sullivan and his mistress playing and/or singing together for real are intimate and charming, which seems to me so much more impactful than overdubbing some perfect studio recording.

While I'm far from an expert on the subject, it also seemed to me that they did a great job of capturing the sound of a variety of Victorian era pianos. From the wonderfully awful out of tune brothel piano, to Sullivan's home upright, to the practice grand and the salon concert, it never felt like the piano was out of place for its time or the feel of the occasion which again could have easily happened by overdubbing a recording of a big powerful 20th century concert grand.

If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend. One of my favorite films of all time.

Rob

#2058549 - 04/03/13 04:25 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
miscrms Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
On a completely different plane, "The Commitments" is another all time favorite music film smile Lots a great piano/keyboard moments, singing "lighter shade of pale" to Bach on the church organ, "borrowing" the gran's upright so they can practice, the pianist practicing his parts on the back of the truck on the to the hall, great stuff and great music smile

Thankfully another music film with actors who can actually sing/play wink

Rob

#2058589 - 04/03/13 08:29 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I almost forgot! The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

#2058720 - 04/03/13 01:24 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: BeowulfX]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: BeowulfX
Well others have already mentioned/posted about the 1996 movie "Shine" (David Helfgott) but I like the scene wherein he entered a bar which had an upright piano...some of the people thought he was a so-so piano player or some kind of a lunatic who knew nothing at all about pianos and then he started playing "Flight of the Bumblebee" and every "doubting Thomases" were silenced thumb

Amadeus gets an honorable mention in my book, but this scene is, to me, the greatest piano scene in any movie.
"Sock it to us, Liber-arch-ay." thumb

#2058930 - 04/03/13 10:34 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Tavner]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Tavner
I know it's very depressing, but the scene in "The Pianist" where Spilzmann sits down in the freezing cold to play the Chopin G minor ballade for the German officer after not having played for years. I know it's a stretch to believe he could have done that, but still it really moved me.

+1

#2058983 - 04/04/13 12:45 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: miscrms]
David, Las Vegas Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Originally Posted By: miscrms
Not a piano movie per se, but one that comes to mind is Topsy Turvy. A very under-appreciated film IMHO, though my opinion is probably tainted by the fact that I played in the orchestra for my first production of the Mikado at the age of 12 and have loved Gilbert and Sullivan's works ever since wink

One of the things that I think really comes through in the film is the way in which the piano permeated Victorian life. They keep showing up everywhere, and really enhance the emotion of a number of great scenes. Part of what makes this film so special (again IMHO) is the unique way in which it was created. As with a number of Mike Leigh films, there was no script going in. Once hired, the actors spent months studying their characters and the period, and then began the process of creating each scene through collaborative improvisation. A method that I thought created one of the most "real" seeming period/biographical films I've ever seen.

Equally important, the director insisted that all of the actors be able to sing and/or play all of the music in the film. As a result, the performances are a bit unpolished perhaps, but charmingly authentic and believable. Nothing drives me more crazy than a film about music in which the actors obviously know nothing about music. Allan Corduner cast as Sullivan for example, had worked toward a career as a concert pianist before becoming an actor and had to prepare a variety of pieces in different styles as part of his audition for the role. The scenes with Sullivan and his mistress playing and/or singing together for real are intimate and charming, which seems to me so much more impactful than overdubbing some perfect studio recording.

While I'm far from an expert on the subject, it also seemed to me that they did a great job of capturing the sound of a variety of Victorian era pianos. From the wonderfully awful out of tune brothel piano, to Sullivan's home upright, to the practice grand and the salon concert, it never felt like the piano was out of place for its time or the feel of the occasion which again could have easily happened by overdubbing a recording of a big powerful 20th century concert grand.

If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend. One of my favorite films of all time.

Rob

Ditto Rob. One of my favorite movies as well. Those old bird cage pianos were, at one time, a sturdy English instrument. Still a beauty on the outside but impossible to work on today. Great post. Thanks!
1931 Mason Hamlin AA

#2059643 - 04/05/13 07:41 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
fizikisto Online   content

Loc: Hernando, MS
One that it seems few people have ever seen is Caveman's Valentine staring Sam Jackson as a homeless ("I'm NOT homeless, I live in a cave") fomer piano prodigy suffering from schizophrenia and paranoid delusions. The character gets involved in a murder mystery and has to pass himself off in high society. Great scene where he's playing at a party while trying to keep a lid on his personal inner demons. Not the only musician he's played, he also played a guitarist in the role he had in Black Snake Moan. In any case, I really enjoyed caveman's valentine, a strange but very entertaining film.

#2063046 - 04/11/13 05:47 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: fizikisto]
Chris Goslow Offline

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
One that it seems few people have ever seen is Caveman's Valentine staring Sam Jackson as a homeless ("I'm NOT homeless, I live in a cave") fomer piano prodigy suffering from schizophrenia and paranoid delusions. The character gets involved in a murder mystery and has to pass himself off in high society. Great scene where he's playing at a party while trying to keep a lid on his personal inner demons. Not the only musician he's played, he also played a guitarist in the role he had in Black Snake Moan. In any case, I really enjoyed caveman's valentine, a strange but very entertaining film.

That sounds interesting.

#2063417 - 04/12/13 10:56 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Steve Cohen]
Frankni Online   content

Loc: UK
Absolutely not! I can never condone people walking over a grand piano. It sets a bad example.

#2063430 - 04/12/13 11:13 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Frankni Online   content

As far as I can see, nobody has mentioned yet the celebrated scene in Green Card where Gerard Depardieu pretends he is a pianist and composer. The result is shattering -- quite funny:

Edited by Frankni (04/12/13 11:31 AM)

#2063435 - 04/12/13 11:20 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: pianistical]
Frankni Online   content

Originally Posted By: pianistical
Another one.

Autumn Sonata by Ingmar Bergman. Totally depressing of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuGGamaGX4&feature=related

This example I would support very strongly. In this scene the whole history of the ragged relationship between the mother (the concert pianist) and her daughter (the wife of a country pastor, who has given up her ambitions to care for her mentally disturbed sister) is played out not only on the piano through the Chopin Prelude, but also on the face of Liv Ulmann. An absolute masterpiece.

However, what is not shown on this clip is that the daughter played the Prelude first to impress her mother, after which the concert pianist shows how really to play the piece correctly, thereby utterly destroying all her daughter's feelings. Without the "prelude" to this clip, the scene does not quite make sense.

Edited by Frankni (04/12/13 11:30 AM)

#2063636 - 04/12/13 05:33 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Any scene with Ingrid Bergman in it could qualify as the greatest movie scene of all time, piano or no.

#2063725 - 04/12/13 09:39 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Swarth Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area Ca.
I'll go with a subsection, best electric piano scene. Chevy Chase, Cindy Morgan, Caddyshack.

#2063753 - 04/12/13 10:27 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
"Impromptu", a film about Sand and Chopin is quite enjoyable. "The Pianist" is another great film, although not all about the piano, but a pianist in WW II hiding from the Nazis. The most recent "Sense and Sensibility" involves the piano in a nice manner, as does "Pride and Prejudice", although neither is a "piano" movie. Years ago there was a Hollywood story about Eddie Duchin which featured nice piano work from Carmen Cavallero, too. "Ray" has a lot of fine piano scenes, too. How about that movie about the guy who lived all his life on a ship? I can't remember the name right now, but he is a mythical prodigy. Does anyone remember this one? Well, I can think of many more, but probably most have been mentioned. How about "Dangerous Moonlight" with the wonderful Warsaw Concerto?

#2063761 - 04/12/13 10:50 PM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Alex Hernandez]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Sorry! I whimped out and wrote the above before reading all six pages of posts. Most of my ideas were already cited. The Legend of 1900 was mentioned and is the movie I couldn't name above. I think any movie with a piano-dominant musical soundtrack should qualify and there are so many good ones.

#2063974 - 04/13/13 11:17 AM Re: Greatest piano movie or piano scene of all time [Re: Plowboy]
Frankni Online   content

Originally Posted By: Plowboy
Any scene with Ingrid Bergman in it could qualify as the greatest movie scene of all time, piano or no.

This scene had Ingrid Bergman, Liv Ullmann, and a piano in it. What more do you want? It was also made by Ingmar Bergman to complete the list of delicacies. For a scene populated with so many "man" (and I count the Steinway & Sohne played also as "men") it was quite female dominated.

Furthermore the only actual man in the scene (the pastor) is at-the-side implicitly put down by Ingrid as not really manly (in comparison with Chopin, another man present through his music) -- he seems to pick up the snipe in his stride. This scene has so many psychological levels, it is almost polyphonic in tune with the piano, I vote for this one as indeed the greatest piano scene ever. It is really not the piano that is being played but the minds of the characters present and absent including the public.

Edited by Frankni (04/13/13 11:30 AM)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (adanepst, 36251, Almaviva, 38 invisible), 1430 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153496 Topics
2249269 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
Temperature and tuning
by Beemer
04/16/14 04:46 AM
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
04/16/14 01:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission