Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2057690 - 04/01/13 08:59 AM Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
heart

I better practice the 1st sonata today...

(Wow, just remembered that I had a dream I had to perform it TOMORROW...........)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2057699 - 04/01/13 09:38 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
And on April Fool's Day, no less :-P hope you're back in Mother Russia in the afterlife, Sergei!

#2057878 - 04/01/13 03:57 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: AldenH]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Happy Birthday, Sergei! Thank you for everything you gave this world.

#2057892 - 04/01/13 04:21 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Happy birthday to a composer that has grown immensely on me the past couple years!! One of the greatest!

#2057921 - 04/01/13 05:11 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Happy Birthday, Sergei!

Music is my best friend.

#2057940 - 04/01/13 05:32 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pogo, I'll really be interested in hearing your recording of the Rachmaninoff 1st Sonata, because I'll be damned if I can figure out what all the shouting's about -- WAY too much work for the esthetic payoff. I first heard the work in performance by Yakov Kasman, and, as wonderful a pianist and interpreter as he is, my initial reaction then was -- much ado about not very much. At the last Chicago Amateur Competition, one contestant presented the first movement in the 2nd round, and (IMO) deservedly made it into the final round to play the entire piece. An enormous technical accomplishment -- but I confess I remained unmoved by the music. As expressive a pianist as you are, I'll be truly interested in hearing how you make music out of that.

#2057944 - 04/01/13 05:35 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Happy Birthday sir, may you continue to inspire!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2057952 - 04/01/13 05:47 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

A favourite of mine and of my partner. Almost brings me to tears.

#2057980 - 04/01/13 06:25 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What do you mean music out of "that"? Haha! The first and second movements are full of poetry! But you have to live the piece, you have to know how to make it sound simpler... Even the third movement has poetic moments - fragments that occur from the previous movements, and the coda is phenomenal! Completely Faustian, even if Rachmaninoff "discarded" the idea throughout composing it.

It's easy to make it sound like virtuosity with no substance, but that's not what it is...

Much deeper than the 2nd sonata I think.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2057983 - 04/01/13 06:29 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
HAPPY BIRTHDAYYY RACHMANINOFF!!!!

And Pogorelich., omg yes I must hear you play Rach when I visit!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2057987 - 04/01/13 06:36 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

HA no way... I just picked it up today a bit after no touching it for weeks.... too much accompanying crap!

#2058058 - 04/01/13 10:00 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
Pogo, I'll really be interested in hearing your recording of the Rachmaninoff 1st Sonata, because I'll be damned if I can figure out what all the shouting's about -- WAY too much work for the esthetic payoff. I first heard the work in performance by Yakov Kasman, and, as wonderful a pianist and interpreter as he is, my initial reaction then was -- much ado about not very much. At the last Chicago Amateur Competition, one contestant presented the first movement in the 2nd round, and (IMO) deservedly made it into the final round to play the entire piece. An enormous technical accomplishment -- but I confess I remained unmoved by the music. As expressive a pianist as you are, I'll be truly interested in hearing how you make music out of that.

Have you ever heard Ogdon play it?
Even better, have you explored it yourself? I learned(ish) the first movement last summer and it is unbelievable. Honestly, I think the technical challenges aren't as demanding as those of the second sonata, (at least the original version), haha.

#2058076 - 04/01/13 10:43 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Have you ever heard Ogdon play it?
Even better, have you explored it yourself? I learned(ish) the first movement last summer and it is unbelievable. Honestly, I think the technical challenges aren't as demanding as those of the second sonata, (at least the original version), haha.

Um... Have you ever tried to perform the entire thing, or even just the first movement? Put together it makes the second sonata (at least the revised) a child's play..... That and, I used to literally use the first mvt of the 2nd sonata as a warm up before practicing the first haha

#2058081 - 04/01/13 10:54 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Happy birthday!!!

Always adored this piece:

#2058082 - 04/01/13 10:55 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I seriously think the length itself makes it more difficult...

#2058217 - 04/02/13 09:38 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Orange Soda King]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OSW, if the Ogdon performance is on YouTube, I may very well have a complete listen -- he has a combination of immense power and poetic vision that just might turn my head around regarding the First Sonata. In the interests of full disclosure, I was never much a fan of the Second Sonata, either -- but, again, at the Chicago Amateur Competition, another contestant provided a meltingly beautiful performance that changed be opinion considerably. So, it IS possible to win me over!

Incidentally, the Madison Symphony Orchestra and Chorus is providing a performance of "The Bells" this weekend -- that's one I've never heard, and I'm looking forward to it, because I think Rachmaninoff is especially good at choral music.

#2058393 - 04/02/13 05:32 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tim Adrianson]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Happy Birthday, Sergiuszu Wasiljewiczu Rachmaninowie! (Polish writing wink

There's film about him on YT - Harves of sorrow - not directed very interestingly, but you can hear a lot of things about him and see him smile

Non plus ultra for everybody:

#2058419 - 04/02/13 06:57 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: didyougethathing]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: didyougethathing
Happy birthday!!!

Ah I have that piece on a BBC Music CD alongside a Stravinsky piece. Superb.

#2058437 - 04/02/13 07:45 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: kapelli]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kapelli
Happy Birthday, Sergiuszu Wasiljewiczu Rachmaninowie! (Polish writing wink

There's film about him on YT - Harves of sorrow - not directed very interestingly, but you can hear a lot of things about him and see him smile

Non plus ultra for everybody:

That cadenza never fails to send shivers down my spine whenever I hear it played with all guns blazing, as here. grin

#2058439 - 04/02/13 07:58 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

OSW, if the Ogdon performance is on YouTube, I may very well have a complete listen -- he has a combination of immense power and poetic vision that just might turn my head around regarding the First Sonata...

...So, it IS possible to win me over!

Let's see... smile

Pogo, it's been a while and I honestly haven't touched the 2nd sonata (either version). So I guess I don't know for myself, but I've also heard a couple pianists say the first isn't as hard for them as the second. But difficulty is subjective often times, I guess?

#2058443 - 04/02/13 08:29 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I think that the first sonata is more driven - it certainly "digresses" less than the second sonata, and all three movements are almost "perpetual movement" type of pieces with lots of textures everywhere.

I like the first sonata a bit more...but how can one not love the middle movement of the second? Such gorgeous melodies and harmonies..
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2058476 - 04/02/13 11:11 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Pogo, it's been a while and I honestly haven't touched the 2nd sonata (either version). So I guess I don't know for myself, but I've also heard a couple pianists say the first isn't as hard for them as the second. But difficulty is subjective often times, I guess?

Totally... or it's also possible I got worse since 4 years ago when I first played the 2nd, haha! (entirely plausible)

#2058561 - 04/03/13 06:09 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: didyougethathing]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: didyougethathing
Happy birthday!!!

Probably my favourite Rachmaninoff piece, along with the third concerto.

#2058563 - 04/03/13 06:27 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: pianojosh23]
aidans Offline

I performed the Trio Elegiaque in G minor last Thursday (3/28) with a cellist and vionlist, and we intended it to be in honor of Rachmaninoff's birthday (a few days early). As we did some last minute research for some program notes, we realized that March 28 was actually the day he died, rendering our choice of repertoire altogether more appropriate, if a little macabre. It was a startling discovery, in any case.

#2058757 - 04/03/13 02:21 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Orange Soda King]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

OSW, if the Ogdon performance is on YouTube, I may very well have a complete listen -- he has a combination of immense power and poetic vision that just might turn my head around regarding the First Sonata...

...So, it IS possible to win me over!

Let's see... smile

Amazing piece!!

#2058898 - 04/03/13 08:35 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
Hello.
I would like to know if the quote at the end of your post is your own, or who said it. Thank you,
Barbara

#2058966 - 04/03/13 11:54 PM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Music Me]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Music Me
Hello.
I would like to know if the quote at the end of your post is your own, or who said it. Thank you,
Barbara

whose?

#2059020 - 04/04/13 03:41 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
aidans Offline

I suspect she was referring to the quote in your signature, Pogorelich. Or possibly LarryStone's.

#2059048 - 04/04/13 04:58 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Pogorelich.]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Just finished a late night practice of this masterpiece by the man himself. Gorgeous beyond belief, and makes me far to emotional at 2 in the morning, whew!

http://youtu.be/s4VfctSrZv8

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#2059060 - 04/04/13 06:11 AM Re: Happy Birthday, Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: aidans]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aidans
I suspect she was referring to the quote in your signature, Pogorelich. Or possibly LarryStone's.

I'm confused!
Oh and its Shone not Stone wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (A Guy, Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 45 invisible), 1744 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156157 Topics
2293221 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
3 minutes 59 seconds ago
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
12 minutes 17 seconds ago
Best Keyboard/Piano 600 light up keys
by barabusm
23 minutes 53 seconds ago
July Concert Program - Performance Thread
by hreichgott
25 minutes 4 seconds ago
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
25 minutes 59 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission