Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2058877 - 04/03/13 07:11 PM Schubert: Impromptu op. 142/2
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Almost done with my little Schubert phase! smile
As always, I'd be grateful for any constructive feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsQDJuSpZk

#2059205 - 04/04/13 10:39 AM Re: Schubert: Impromptu op. 142/2 [Re: pianovirus]
Louis Podesta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Note perfect, and the tone was excellent. Very good sound mix on the recording.

First, I play this piece in four measure phrases. I feel that it sets the melody in the listener's ear better that way. Otherwise, the piece can get boring.

Second, in that I am a devotee of 19th century piano performance, I arpeggiate (gently and softly) the chords in both hands of the "A" section. I do the same in the "B" section only louder.

Which brings up what I call the Paul Badura-Skoda point. As you know, he re-recorded all of his Schubert after having played on Schubert's piano.

My point, is that I am very conservative when it comes to Schubert volume levels. My urtext has the "A" section marked pianissimo, and the "B" section marked forte.

Also, I asynchronize the bass note in the "C" section, which enhances the melody line.

Finally, I do not play any of the repeats. Brendel only plays the repeats in the "C" section, and he comes in around six minutes. Although he plays the "A" section slower than you do, I agree with your tempo.

Clara Schumann taught her students to only play the repeats if the piece was unknown to the listener. This is a very common work, and I think all of the repeats make it a little long.

You have the makings of a true concert pianist, although if you ever want to attain the level of an Arrau, Horowitz, or Rubinstein, you are going to have to learn to sit still. All of the upper body movement distracts from the music - in this case, beautiful music.

#2059373 - 04/04/13 03:29 PM Re: Schubert: Impromptu op. 142/2 [Re: pianovirus]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

pianovirus, briefly put, I thought this was the best of the lot to date. For me, you made a special point of emphasizing the songful character of both the "A" and "B" sections, without a significant shift in tempo between them. I think that's absolutely correct -- I often hear a "sturm-and-drang" virtuoso approach in the middle section which to me unbalances the sense of the Impromptu. Also, you had the presence of mind to build in some subtle changes in voicings and gestures in the repeats, which for me is absolutely necessary. I thought your singing line, pace, and voicings were just especially satisfying and natural in this one. Thanks for sharing!

#2059377 - 04/04/13 03:40 PM Re: Schubert: Impromptu op. 142/2 [Re: pianovirus]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
My only suggestion would be that in terms of shaping the melody the opening note and most of the other similar places in this piece was a little too soft so I felt it's connection to the next note in the phrase was lost. I listened to several YouTube recordings of the piece, and most(but not all) of the time the pianists did play those notes a little louder than you did.

Bravo!

Edited by pianoloverus (04/04/13 04:57 PM)

#2060366 - 04/06/13 01:11 PM Re: Schubert: Impromptu op. 142/2 [Re: Louis Podesta]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Thanks Louis, Tim, and plus for the encouraging feedback and the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
My only suggestion would be that in terms of shaping the melody the opening note and most of the other similar places in this piece was a little too soft so I felt it's connection to the next note in the phrase was lost.

I fully agree with this comment. It really compromises the connection to the phrase in the current way.

Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta
First, I play this piece in four measure phrases. I feel that it sets the melody in the listener's ear better that way. Otherwise, the piece can get boring.

If I understand correctly, you perceived that I phrased mainly shorter units, right? In that case, I agree with you, the phrasing should not only be on shorter units; the main phrases should be on four measures.

Originally Posted By: Louis Podesta
Finally, I do not play any of the repeats. Brendel only plays the repeats in the "C" section, and he comes in around six minutes.

I was not aware he skipped the repeats (thanks for that comment, I just listened to his recording again). But (it's just a matter of taste of course), I personally much prefer it with the repeats. Heavenly lengths! smile

P.S. Btw, just a thought that crossed my mind: the beautiful melody emerging out of the triplets in measures 55-58 -- it's notated in a peculiar way without emphasizing the melody notes. I don't know if it was Schubert's way of saying "not too pronounced", just play it casually, or if it's just idiosyncratic notation. In any case, if one wants to play this melody more pronounced a fingering that allows for more finger legato on the melody notes might be better. Right now, I just always use the thumb on melody notes. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
6 minutes 44 seconds ago
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Teachers: Do you use John Thomson method books?
by Morodiene
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Funny but true...
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 08:56 PM
Who's Online
128 registered (AmateurBob, aesop, albumblatter, Alux, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1194 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157523 Topics
2313847 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission