Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2058857 - 04/03/13 06:18 PM Are piano humidifiers worth it?
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I just purchased a brand new yamaha u1 and I want to do everything I can to take care of it properly. This is my first time owning an acoustic piano so I would like your opinion on humidifiers. I was reading up on dampp chaser? What's your opinion on this? And is it even worth getting a humidifier if I only have an upright?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2058865 - 04/03/13 06:25 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
shaolin95 Offline

I had a humidifier with my previous '77 Hamilton upright and with my current piano too. If you have a humidity under 40 all I have read is that you can help your piano life and tuning by having one..plus your own health will be improved so is a win win situation.
I have evaporative humidifiers made by Essick and like them very much.

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2058870 - 04/03/13 06:35 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
While there is some debate on using a whole room humidifier/dehumidifier vs. damp chaser(with probable positives and negatives for each set up), I don't think there is much debate that controlling the humidity is good for the piano health and for the piano's tuning stability.

#2058883 - 04/03/13 07:28 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ElleC
I just purchased a brand new yamaha u1 and I want to do everything I can to take care of it properly. This is my first time owning an acoustic piano so I would like your opinion on humidifiers. I was reading up on dampp chaser? What's your opinion on this? And is it even worth getting a humidifier if I only have an upright?

The U1 is a nice and rather expensive piano, so it's good that you want to take care of it! I've heard even some dealerships bash Dampp-Chaser; they say "But it only humidifies the underside of the soundboard". It's silly. I wholeheartedly endorse Dampp-Chaser products. They are silent, low maintenance, and significantly increase tuning longevity. While they are expensive up front, you will save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in tuning expenses over the life of the piano by installing one.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2058895 - 04/03/13 08:21 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I am also a proponent of the D-C systems and have them in all of my pianos. However, the best situation is regulation of the RH throughout the home environment, and not just rely on the D-C. People, furnishings, and pianos, all do best in a RH controled environment. The HVAC takes care of the gross environment and the D-C assists with the mini-climate affecting the piano.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2058897 - 04/03/13 08:31 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
JohnSprung Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Start by spending about $ 20 - 30 for a digital hygrometer, and watch for a while to see how the humidity varies where you are. They usually have a minimum and maximum memory. 40 - 45% is ideal. The wider your variation, the more you need to control humidity. If, for instance, you find that your range is 40 - 90, you only need the de-humidification part of it, which will save you a lot. Also, watch how well your piano stays in tune. My tuner talked me out of getting one, since my Knabe seems to handle the variation without going sour.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2058904 - 04/03/13 08:50 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I agree with much of what has been said - monitor your humidity indoors; if it fluctuates more than (roughly) 30% annually, it's going make a noticeable difference in tuning stability. Extremely low (<30%), extremely high (>70%), and higher annual fluctuations can damage and prematurely age the piano. At that point, you should consider the cost, convenience, benefits, and maintenance required of in-house vs. in-piano humidity control.

In my current home, an in-wall a/c in summer and a console humidifier in winter can maintain an annual RH of 35-65% here in the brutal upper Midwest. (Without this, it would be in the range of 20-70%). In order to even things out for the piano even more than the 30% annual swing, I have a Dampp Chaser on my piano and keep it completely closed when not in use. It seems to help, as the technician who works on my piano spends most of his time doing fine-tuning instead of pitch raises.

Almost any humidity control solution requires some maintenance on the part of the home/piano owner. I have friends who don't bother to refill their DC tanks when it calls for water, never change the pads when they're crusty and ineffective, and unplug the units and forget to plug 'em back in. For users like this, their $300-500 would have been better spent hiring a technician to tune more frequently...
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2058905 - 04/03/13 08:53 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Good responses already.

I have had the opportunity to observe their use/non-use for decades. They definitely work.

When I was a Baldwin dealer back in the '70s-'80s, I wouldn't sell a new piano without one. I knew it was good for the customer and it was also good for me -- because I was going to be the one servicing the instrument. If a customer wanted to save money and get the piano without the system, I wouldn't do it -- even if it meant I lost the sale. (I must have been doing something right, though, because I received a national sales award for being top-producing dealership in my size category).

Of course, I didn't make a sale every time. People would buy from the "big city" an hour away. What this presented me with was a direct A/B comparison of the same models of the same age in the same climate in generally the same kinds of houses because whatever the source, I was the one that wound up servicing the instrument. There was a clear difference between those with and without the systems.

Since then, the systems have been improved and in my experience the results are even better.

#2059175 - 04/04/13 09:52 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
I've had a couple of U1s (one in my Church and one in the school where I worked), and despite it being in a city with quite great variations in humidity (more often very high), they just kept on going with no problems caused by either extreme. They were both 1980s purchases, and made in Japan.

#2059367 - 04/04/13 03:17 PM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
thanks for all the responses. looks like we have a mixed bag of opinions. i guess I'll try to use a digital hygrometer first to see how much the humidity fluctuates in the room i'm placing my piano in. and maybe invest on a dampp-chaser later.

backtostudy....good to know that the U1 holds up well! supposedly, this particular U1 i'm getting is also manufactured in japan.

#2059536 - 04/05/13 12:52 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
pianokeys135 Offline

Loc: Greater NYC Area
I can tell you one thing - adding water to a room humidifier every day is a real pain! (not to mention the weekly cleaning of the unit) I'm trying to find a way to link it to my water line...still no luck! (I have radiator heat, not a forced air system) Trying to control the room humidity and temp. is perhaps not the most practical solution, but that's what I'm hoping to be able to do when I get my next piano...

#2059539 - 04/05/13 12:55 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
shaolin95 Offline

get a bigger unit that is evaporative and use water additives and you minimize the work wink

If you get a warm mist one then those need to be cleaned a lot but that is why I prefer the evaporative type like Essick MA1201

Edited by shaolin95 (04/05/13 09:14 AM)

#2059691 - 04/05/13 09:07 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: pianokeys135]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: pianokeys135
I can tell you one thing - adding water to a room humidifier every day is a real pain! (not to mention the weekly cleaning of the unit) I'm trying to find a way to link it to my water line...still no luck! (I have radiator heat, not a forced air system) Trying to control the room humidity and temp. is perhaps not the most practical solution, but that's what I'm hoping to be able to do when I get my next piano...
It takes about a minute to add water, and I only have to clean my unit once a year.

#2059693 - 04/05/13 09:09 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
pianokeys135 Offline

Loc: Greater NYC Area
pianoloverus - what kind of humidifier unit do you have?

I've heard that it can actually be bad for your health to not clean a humidifier enough because of mold or bacteria or fungus or something.

#2059698 - 04/05/13 09:19 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
General information about room humidifiers:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/humidifiers/HQ00076

The second page has detailed information about cleaning.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2059704 - 04/05/13 09:23 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: pianokeys135]
pianoloverus Offline

I've heard that it can actually be bad for your health to not clean a humidifier enough because of mold or bacteria or fungus or something.
I have one of these:
http://www.bizrate.com/humidifiers/4110724030.html

MY guess is that very few people really clean their humidifiers frequently. I don't know about negative health consequences but personally I have not experienced any.

#2059707 - 04/05/13 09:29 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: pianoloverus]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I have one of these:
http://www.bizrate.com/humidifiers/4110724030.html

MY guess is that very few people really clean their humidifiers frequently. I don't know about negative health consequences but personally I have not experienced any.

Awesome, we have the very same one! smile
I have the smaller 0800 model for my bedroom.
That one is great because it is not warm mist so it does not create all that carp build up like the other units. Also, I add two additives to keep it even cleaner. Cleaning that one is fast too if you feel like but its a great unit IMHO.

#2059775 - 04/05/13 11:24 AM Re: Are piano humidifiers worth it? [Re: ElleC]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
In my experience they make a major difference in tuning stability in an environment that is not piano friendly. On the other hand, I don't have one on my home piano and it seems to hold its tuning pretty well. My home isn't as extreme as far as temp and humidity changes as the churches where I play pianos. Churches typically don't have consistent temperature control when the sanctuary isn't full of people. Very bad for pianos.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (casinitaly, bennevis, Andy001, ChoPraTs, 19 invisible), 1036 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157229 Topics
2309263 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
Today at 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
Today at 04:11 AM
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
Today at 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission