Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (AndrewJCW, AmandaH, accordeur, achi, ando, 36251, 35 invisible), 1276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2053050 - 03/23/13 05:23 PM Korg Kronos X , the best? thread..
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I own a Roland 700nx. Its just the most fabulous keyboard I have ever owned. It's really playable and has some great sounds, esp the grand and electric pianos. The organ is good but only four faders, the 'swell pedal' (middle) is a little odd too.
It does have its limitations though, it's got a tiny screen, a lot of the power is hidden away behind obscure button presses and some of the synth sounds are a bit dated (IMO).

Enter the Kronus X1. Now I dont know too much about this keyboard but I was very impressed. The electric paino seems even better that then Roland RX. The grand seems a little weaker, but only a shade and very playable. The VDU screen seems so intuitive and helps you get into the jewels inside. Its also got nine synth engines and a lot of SSD space, plus the ability to import samples. There's a lot more than that too..

Check out the 'manual' videos to get the full picture (via the 'video camera' icon.

http://www.korg.com/KronosX

Now I also have a Nord C2 and am wondering if its time to sell this on and get a Kronus X . It's got a case legs and Leslie switch too.

The Kronus X .. . whats your thoughts?

Maybe the best digital keyboard ever made?

Zero

Edited by ZeroZero (03/23/13 05:30 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2053093 - 03/23/13 06:39 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Dwscamel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Have you tried the Kronos X yourself? I haven't, but I assume the action is worse than the Roland's. I haven't heard of any phenomenal Korg actions, but I haven't played any myself so I can't say for sure. Still, I agree that the other features are excellent. If I liked the action I would definitely get one.

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor

#2053177 - 03/23/13 09:33 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: Dwscamel]
karlosserio Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I played a Kronos X side to side to a Roland 700nx and a Yamaha CP5, and the results were obvious. The sound was there but the action and the overall feel of the Kronos is a no go to me... I felt like playing a toy piano

#2053184 - 03/23/13 09:46 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
The NX is a far nicer board then the cheaply built overhyped Kronos

#2053209 - 03/23/13 11:11 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: Dr Popper]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I like my SP280 a lot- but I prefer the Krome to the Kronos- I just think the Kronos is two pricey.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2053262 - 03/24/13 01:54 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
verbo Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
What about the Yamaha MOX6? I have read great reviews on the web when compared to korg krome.

Current equipment: Roland XP30 | Korg PA800 | Roland RD700NX | KRK RP6-G2
Future upgrade: KRK 10s subwoofer | Behringer Xenyx 1222 FX (?)

#2053290 - 03/24/13 06:02 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

When I bought the Roland I played the Korg Kronus (not X) back to back. I found that the action on the Roland was superior as was the sound engine. In fact I would say the action on the Roland is superb.
The Kronus (not Kronus X) had a more plasticky feel, I did not like the joy stick much (but hey I could live with it)
The Roland is a heavy beast.
Under the hood there is less going on on the Roland and its harder to get at, but what you have got is passable. I have never been a huge fan of the piano sound on the Roland, dont get me wrong, its perfpectly passable and useable, but it does not grab me. I dont ever bother with the studio and brilliant, they seem like tweaks. In all, though everything about the Roland is pro, for me its the action that sold it.

I think the above threads are right about the overall feel of the Kronus trhough being lighter is a bonus. Here, I dont need the sequencer as I run Cubase. Its about the sounds. Marginally I prefer the sound of the Kronus piano, though it has less body (IMO), the electric pianos are much better that the 700 IMO. The VDU is great, lots of potential.

I read it takes 2 minutes ot boot?

Action wise, anyone playing it? It would be good if a Kronus X owner posted about any flaws, misgivings they had

Will check out the Krome

Edited by ZeroZero (03/24/13 06:04 AM)

#2053307 - 03/24/13 07:34 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
> 2 minutes boot time..., don't ever unplug it in the middle of a gig ;-) Or ALWAYS use a UPS on stage. Keys are not in the league of the Roland NX for sure. I think there has been a lot said about the RH3 keys of the Kronos, but most of it has not been to the praise of it. One advantage for the synth player ; it does have aftertouch. Something that misses from most stage piano's. I wouldn't buy the Korg on specs alone , but compare the 88 side by side to a good Roland or Yamaha and then decide. If pianolike key touch is not such an important thing for you, the RH3 might be OK for your playing style, but if your after a good 'piano' experience, I think you'll be disappointed both in touch / sound and especially the interaction between the touch &sound of the Kronos.

Edit: I think I made a mistake and recalled from memory checking out the boot-time in a shop to be over 3 minutes. Although it may have felt like 4 minutes, it was probably closer to well over 2 minutes. My mistake. Have a flue- my heads not clear...

Edited by JFP (03/24/13 08:01 AM)

#2053313 - 03/24/13 07:44 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: JFP]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: JFP
4 full minutes boot time...

Wow, that's terrible, particularly from an SSD. The processor must be really asthmatic (the Atom is a dog in every netbook I've encountered).
!IMO!

#2053324 - 03/24/13 08:03 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: dewster]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
Originally Posted By: JFP
4 full minutes boot time...

Wow, that's terrible, particularly from an SSD. The processor must be really asthmatic (the Atom is a dog in every netbook I've encountered).

Sorry - I think I made a mistake - see my edit..

#2053819 - 03/25/13 06:21 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Ojustaboo Offline

Loc: Deleted
Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:17 PM)

#2053822 - 03/25/13 06:31 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Ojustaboo,
Thanks for that thorough review, very interesting!

Warm Regards

#2053833 - 03/25/13 07:12 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Kawai James Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
+1!

Very thorough review, nice job Ojustaboo!

James
x

ps. Is it still snowing in Naridge?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2053836 - 03/25/13 07:25 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
ZeroZero Offline

Ok its seems we have a flawed beauty but a beauty nonetheless.

The thing is there is really no replacement.
If interested I have the follwoing keyboards for sale

1] Nord C2

2} Novation 61SL

The nord has a Nord case and Nord legs and a Leslie switch all to be sold seperately.

All Keyboards and kit are in top condition - flawless.

North of London UK

#2053885 - 03/25/13 09:23 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Ojustaboo Offline

Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:17 PM)

#2054053 - 03/25/13 02:36 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: Ojustaboo]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: Ojustaboo
(It's booting it's custom Linux operating system as its really a PC inside)

It's an Atom running Linux? Surely someone must have mirrored the SSD, and took a look at it outside of the keyboard?!

#2054476 - 03/26/13 10:03 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
RonL Offline

I almost took the plunge on a Kronos 73x last week, I just couldn't get past the RH3 action. I didn't like it at all. I love the AP and EP sounds in the Kronos and I am sure it would be great fun to spin out evolving pads over drum loops and synth lead sounds over a glass or two of chianti. If I were still doing the wedding band cover band thing I would jump on it, it seems perfect for those gigs. I thought the B3 sounds were very good, back in the day I used to gig with a CX3 (the newer one).

So it depends on what you need. I just need a good piano, ep sound and be able to split bass and layer a pad and I want to have good finger to sound connection. So why pay a lot of money (close to twice the price of what I went for) for features I will never use? I have a Motif xs7 that I still gig with and I never got proficient at using song or pattern mode, so odds are I wouldn't on a Kronos either. As ojustaboo wisely consueled If you are just going to play piano there are other cheaper alternatives.

Bottom line is if you connect with the instrument, it meets your needs and you have the cash take the plunge.

#2054585 - 03/26/13 02:55 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: RonL]
ZeroZero Offline

I wrote to Korg and received the reply below. Frankly I dont buyt the idea that 'because its suppoosed to be like a paino you have to store it horizontally only@ its not true of other keyboards, my RD700NX is very durable.

Also no news on 64 bit software - simply shocking for such a top class product. IMO

Quote:
In answer to your questions:

a) We recommend taking care while transporting the KRONOS with weighted keybeds. The reason for that is the fact that the KRONOS's RH3 keybed was designed to behave as closely to a typical acoustic piano's keybed as possible so it is recommended that the keybed is stored the same as an acoustic piano (horizontally) in order to prevent any issues. The pieces of cardboard which the instrument comes with simply ensure that any movement of the keys is restricted during transport, minimizing any risks.

b) The fan has very minimal noise. I personally have to put my ear next to my KRONOS in order to be able to hear it and that is in my acoustically treated music room. If I switch other devices in my studio ON, the fan is completely unaudible.

c) The KRONOS software editor designed by MIDI Quest is 32-bit only and it does not work well with 64-bit DAWs. Unfortunately I cannot confirm at this stage whether there will be a 64-bit version of the software in the future.

d) The KRONOS has a very large amount of data to load upon start up so it normally takes a couple of minutes to boot up. For most people, this is a non-issue especially considering that many other devices need some time before they can be used (for example, valve amplifiers).

e) Could you please confirm what exactly you mean by back up? If you mean technical support, we are always available for help through email or phone. In terms of warranty, we offer an extended three-year warranty for the KRONOS in the UK.

Based on what I have also read, it sounds as though you have come across these reports on online forums. While they can be useful resources at times, it is always a good idea to take opinions or reports with a pinch of salt. What often happens is that a very few users experience issues and then post about it on every possible platform and this doesn't reflect the reality that the very vast majority of other users are enjoying the product without experiencing any problems at all. There wouldn't be hundred of top class professionals using the KRONOS if it wasn't a) playable b) gigable and c) connectable to studios.

#2054637 - 03/26/13 04:38 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If your not sure about the RH3 keyed, but in love with the features set of the Kronos, why not consider a Kronos 61 and good 88 keyboard controller (A-88 / Casio PX..50 series if it has to be lightweight) and enjoy the benefits of both boards. Synth action keys are also great for synths sounds and things like organ etc, in comparison to weighted 88 keys. The 88 is then handy for the piano-style stuff. For the money it makes hardly any difference...

#2054694 - 03/26/13 05:54 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

As a former Kronos owner... Craptastic is my term for it. I haven't missed it for one second. Others really love it, but personally I think it is a big investment for something built to such poor physical standards.
Roland Jupiter 80

#2054821 - 03/26/13 09:22 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Ojustaboo Offline

Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:18 PM)

#2054958 - 03/27/13 05:26 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Ojustaboo,

with all due respect, but your story and that of a few others (like your friends - who's final replacement X version locked up during first performance) have been posted, quoted and repeated all over the internet in many threads and places. However it are still your case and a few other cases whilst there are ten-thousands of Kronos boards shipped ; if you have to believe the serial numbers (pretty impressive right?).

Yes, they messed up big time with the RH3 in the beginning, but later on - with boards shipping wit the "made-in-Japan" RH3 keybeds the keys seem to be fine ; for as far as you may or may not like the RH3 itself. In other words ; it can't possibly be that all these thousands of Kronos machines have all been send back, repaired, exchanged etc and although there are misses, most of them are fine to begin with. I'm not jumping into the defense of Korg in particular here, but I simply recognize the mechanism at work here as far as negative posting about a product is concerned ; it are the same repeated stories I encounter over and over again and that give's the impression ALL Korg keybeds are bad - which can't be the case. They would have been bankrupt by now.

So if someone really likes the Kronos - be cautious to get a recent model (!), but other than that don't let all the bad posts about the RH3 in the past influence your purchase for the future. If you're really scared - consider the 61 key Kronos with an 88 controller as I said before.

#2055033 - 03/27/13 09:55 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
mabraman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Valencia, Spain
ummmhhhh...
It's not the first time I read such a reasoning (only ten public complaints don't mean a thing/there must be millions of happy silent owners).
In fact, this is exactly what the conservative politicians say, here in Spain, as soon as a thousand people join in a demonstration.
As a consumer, I am very thankful to those who write merciless reviews, specially if they sound to be true, as in this case.
We (consumers) have the right to do so, and enough common sense to determine wether a post is reliable or not.

#2055039 - 03/27/13 10:18 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@mabraman

Of course the post is reliable and I fully agree with the fact that Korg initially messed up big time with their RH3 key beds. My only point is that now - with the current batches of Korg machines - potential customers must not be totally scared away from the Kronos, because of these faulty units in the past. And there are a lot of horror stories out there that are repeated over the many user fora and give the impression that any Korg is a bad Korg. That's simply impossible in the light of the amount of units that have been sold and Kronos Instruments that are currently in use by people. So yes - not everything is/ has been well and perfect in Kronos land - but don't forget the bigger picture; total units sold / cases of dirty RH3's - old batches with bad keys / new batches with revised keys. Then decided if you want to give it a try or not...

#2055043 - 03/27/13 10:33 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
mabraman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Valencia, Spain
That's true JFP, but, hey, let someone else (a Korg employee) play that HAL9000 character.

#2055051 - 03/27/13 11:24 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
Ojustaboo Offline

Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:19 PM)

#2055159 - 03/27/13 03:12 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
RonL Offline

wow this all sounds so much like the problems Kurzweil had with the first run of K2000's. Deja vu.

#2057403 - 03/31/13 02:55 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: Ojustaboo]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ojustaboo
To buy the same size SSD as is in the original Kronos is £35. The RAM can be bought for about £10 making £45.

Korg charges over £200 for this (haven't got the figures to hand, I THINK it's £239).

This is normal. The market for commodity computer parts being what it is, Korg probably can't buy that SSD and RAM much more cheaply than you can. Then they, their distributor, and the dealer all mark it up to make profit on it (it's why they're in business), and then they also have to pay for the tech's time to install it (and make profit on that as well). So It's easy to see how 45 in parts turns into over 200 at retail.

#2058890 - 04/03/13 08:11 PM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: Ojustaboo]
Ojustaboo Offline

Deleted

Edited by Ojustaboo (07/29/13 06:19 PM)

#2058990 - 04/04/13 01:25 AM Re: Korg Kronos X , the best? thread.. [Re: ZeroZero]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Would be good to know which serials these (new?) faulty machines we're ! Perhaps these examples are new old stock and have all old serials from the first batches despite being sold as new now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fixing Ivory Keys (more like chiseling them down)
by AmandaH
10 minutes 19 seconds ago
Suggestions for book of classic film music?
by shamuball
Today at 06:52 PM
I wish we could buy straight wire
by Dan Casdorph
Today at 05:09 PM
Monster (piano cover)
by Aly Baracat
Today at 04:38 PM
Intro to the new Casio CGP-700
by PianoManChuck
Today at 04:36 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,540 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,460 Topics
2,439,686 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission