2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by enzo.sandrolini
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I've always been surprised at how many boards put their headphone jacks in the back, it's obviously the "wrong" place. It's more difficult to plug it in, you have to take more care to route the wire out of your way while playing. It's not like you're ever listening from that side of the board. I guess it's just sometimes cheaper to make it that way.

The headphone Jack is on the front, but the USB plug is on the back...

Annoying, but you can certainly buy a USB port extender cable, so it's not the end of the world.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Oups
I have just find another little issue (bug ??)
the Key Touch setting is not saved in memory and after having switched off-on the piano, you always get the default value frown
Again, it is not a big deal, but here, I think Roland will probably release a Patch Update
But I am not sure Patch can be applied to the Rolands DP.. anyone knows ?

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Oups
the Key Touch setting is not saved in memory and after having switched off-on the piano, you always get the default value frown
Again, it is not a big deal, but here, I think Roland will probably release a Patch Update

Firmware can always be updated - if that is what you mean.... Question is "if" and for how long a company wants to support it's product by FW updates with bug fixes and new features. Some brands are better at this (e.g. Kurzweil updates it's firmware for years) than others (Studiologic , Roland (?))

E
E
Originally Posted by JFP
Oups

Firmware can always be updated - if that is what you mean.... Question is "if" and for how long a company wants to support it's product by FW updates with bug fixes and new features. Some brands are better at this (e.g. Kurzweil updates it's firmware for years) than others (Studiologic , Roland (?))

Are you sure that Firmware can always be update by simple users ??
Companies my "block" this function and require a technician
I am saying that as I have not found any Firmware update for the FP-7F for example, on the Roland site...

Last edited by enzo.sandrolini; 05/08/13 12:30 PM.

Music is a lifestyle
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Why is the USB port in the back? On my FP-7 it's in the front which makes much more sense (or does the FP-80 have front & back ports?).

There are two ports on the back. One is for a USB stick and the other to a computer. On the stick you can save songs in WAV or SMF. To the computer it (only) sends MIDI.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oups

You can save the touch in the registrations (for some strange reason).
Look in the manual on page 57 'Saved Settings' shows what is saved where.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
E
E
Originally Posted by Cmin
Oups

You can save the touch in the registrations (for some strange reason).
Look in the manual on page 57 'Saved Settings' shows what is saved where.

Yep, you are right...
really strange behavior
They might have thought that Touch is related the type of instrument you play, while "Piano design" is for all... sick (I am not convinced by my arguments..)

Music is a lifestyle
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

No, not all keyboards are designed to be able to be updated by end users (or, possibly, at all). And of course, even if the capability is there, that doesn't mean it will ever be used. As has been mentioned, Roland is worse than average in providing updates to existing instruments. Regardless, I wouldn't suggest buying any keyboard that doesn't work in a way you find acceptable out of the box. There's never a guarantee it will ever be better.

E
E

Regardless, I wouldn't suggest buying any keyboard that doesn't work in a way you find acceptable out of the box. There's never a guarantee it will ever be better.

You are right, but I am talking here about little issue (if they can be called like that, as this behavior might be "strange", but is described in the manual...)
Don't misunderstand me, I really enjoy this DP grin

Music is a lifestyle
As on my FP4 I believe the Key Touch is only saved in a Registration.
This if from the FP-80 manual below in regard to the parms. that are saved in a Registration:

Settings Saved in Registrations
Setting Explanation Page
– Selected tone p. 14
– Dual play on/off p. 14
– Tone 1/Tone 2 (Dual play) p. 14
– Split play on/off p. 15
– Right-hand tone/Left-hand tone (Split
play) p. 15
– Split point p. 15
– Transpose’s on or off, its value, and
Transpose mode p. 19
– Ambience on/off and depth p. 17
–
The Volume balance between the
keyboard performance and the
accompaniment
p. 8
– Rotary effect’s pulse speed p. 14
Modulation Speed Speed of sound modulation p. 14
Key Touch Key touch p. 18
Rhythm Rhythm settings p. 20
Edit Tone Wheel Settings for each tone wheel organ p. 32
Dual Balance Dual balance p. 45
Split Balance Split balance p. 45
Audio Transpose Audio transpose p. 25
Transpose Mode Transpose mode p. 44
Octave Shift Octave shift p. 45
Damper Pedal Part Setting for the damper pedal part p. 45
Center Pedal Part Setting for the center pedal part p. 46
Center Pedal Func Function of the center pedal p. 46
Left Pedal Part Setting for the left pedal p. 46
Left Pedal Func Function of the left pedal p. 46
MIDI Transmit Ch. MIDI transmi
Regist. Tx Ch.
Program change data p. 47
Regist. PC
Regist. Bank MSB
Regist. Bank LSB
Split On Chord
Recognize Split on chord recognize p. 45
Chord Prog. Root Chord progression root p. 45
Mic Ambience Mic ambience p. 35
– Harmony on/off setting p. 34
Harmony Type Harmony type p. 35
Harmony Level Harmony volume p. 34

Last edited by legatoboy; 05/08/13 01:09 PM.

Yamaha YUX Upright, Yamaha CP50, Roland FP-80, Pianoteq Stage, Yamaha P-105,
Hammond XK-2, Korg CX-3 (ver.2), Leslie 145 w/Speakeasy PreAmp , 1964 Hammond B3/122RV Leslie
M
M

Why is the USB port in the back? On my FP-7 it's in the front which makes much more sense (or does the FP-80 have front & back ports?).

There are two ports on the back. One is for a USB stick and the other to a computer. On the stick you can save songs in WAV or SMF. To the computer it (only) sends MIDI.

Right, my complaint is that if you are using one for a usb stick, then you constantly have to reach around the back to take it in and out, whereas one on the front makes much more sense. My Fp-7 has the USB port in front, so I wonder why the FP-80 does not.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
H

Right, my complaint is that if you are using one for a usb stick, then you constantly have to reach around the back to take it in and out, whereas one on the front makes much more sense. My Fp-7 has the USB port in front, so I wonder why the FP-80 does not.

Because in the place where FP7F had USB port the FP 80 has speakers? Can't think of any other reason.

H
H
Just to inform you:

It is not possible to save the Piano Designer edits in the Registers. frown
That means once you edit and save your designed piano into memory, that's it. It is not possible to compare or play the different pianos you've edited. I was hoping on making different character style sounding pianos to be switched in the registry.

Also, the Piano Designer has always influence on all three first Pianos : Concert, Ballade and Bright. Meaning: any changes made will affect all of these.

Just wanted to share my discoveries...

Accroding to the manual, Piano Designer settings cannot be stored in Registration but can be saved by Memory Backup - meaning that when you turn on the piano, your settings will be set, not the default values.

M
M
I like all external connectors on the back, so if I have something connected (a computer or external input) the cables aren't dangling out the front, getting in the way of playing and looking unsightly.

Just an alternate point of view.

M
M
Originally Posted by MarkF786
I like all external connectors on the back, so if I have something connected (a computer or external input) the cables aren't dangling out the front, getting in the way of playing and looking unsightly.

Just an alternate point of view.

Oh, I agree, except for the USB port where you are putting a stick in there to record and then taking that stick to your computer a lot (since the USB cable will only do MIDI, and not audio to). So this is all in response to that.

It makes sense that the addition of those other 2 speakers prevented them from continuing this design in the FP-80.

From what I can tell with the FP-80, it's not enough of an improvement to upgrade from the FP-7. Are there any posters here who did that and were happy with the changes?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Another tip:

To change the Leslie/Rotary effect from slow to fast and vice versa while playing an organ, press the organ button.

What's sad, it can not be assigned to a pedal.

Last edited by Cmin; 05/10/13 06:39 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J

What's sad, it can not be assigned to a pedal.

That would be toooo much 2013 ;-)

Afterthought:
Strange that starting from my early 90's instruments complex routings and control assignments we're always standard (Kurzweil , Korg) and then things started to fall apart with later products that became often less flexible and had less control features. I know it's a bit apple&pears, but hey....they could have done a better job living in the 21st century. Apart from the sound and touch , which are great.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JFP
Afterthought:
Strange that starting from my early 90's instruments complex routings and control assignments we're always standard (Kurzweil , Korg) and then things started to fall apart with later products that became often less flexible and had less control features.

On a related note, with many products, I've noticed there seems to be a cycle where, first they come out with the technology, then they spend some product cycles improving the technology, and after that they only seem concerned with finding ways to cheapen it. VCRs, for example. First they were okay and expensive, then they kept getting better and cheaper, and then finally they started getting worse and cheaper.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
On a related note, with many products, I've noticed there seems to be a cycle where, first they come out with the technology, then they spend some product cycles improving the technology, and after that they only seem concerned with finding ways to cheapen it. VCRs, for example. First they were okay and expensive, then they kept getting better and cheaper, and then finally they started getting worse and cheaper.

With DPs, I believe much of the degradation in the feature set is due to a fundamental shift in programming techniques. The earlier ones were probably hand coded in assembly by engineers, and they likely needed many of the features for testing. But bean counters are now watching SW development like a hawk, making a lot of free software actually better than the professionally dashed out variety.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
FP80 and Air Recorder video demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxil3oSWCtU

Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission