Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 14 of 17 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#2136618 - 08/21/13 01:21 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Phlox Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
After reading all 13 pages in this thread .... I'm getting a little curious for this 'metallic overtone'.

So is there an example of 'the roland metallic overtone' on youtube ??

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2138869 - 08/25/13 04:25 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Phlox]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts

#2141535 - 08/30/13 08:15 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]
KeyboardAficionado Offline

Originally Posted By: voxpops

...Actually, given the relative demand for the old FP-4 over the FP-7, I would say the reverse is true. The lightweight FP-4, with its compromised "alpha" action still commands a good price, whereas you can hardly give the FP-7 (with PHAII) away.

I love the FP-7's action and sound, so I couldn't just let you throw out this comment without responding. PHAII is somewhat similar to grands I've played, if not better! The speakers are quite good too, surprising in their bass response. And as far as I know, its resale value is holding up well, thank you.

#2141541 - 08/30/13 08:26 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: KeyboardAficionado]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: KeyboardAficionado

...Actually, given the relative demand for the old FP-4 over the FP-7, I would say the reverse is true. The lightweight FP-4, with its compromised "alpha" action still commands a good price, whereas you can hardly give the FP-7 (with PHAII) away.

I love the FP-7's action and sound, so I couldn't just let you throw out this comment without responding. PHAII is somewhat similar to grands I've played, if not better! The speakers are quite good too, surprising in their bass response. And as far as I know, its resale value is holding up well, thank you.

Darn, I thought I'd got away with it!

I, too, very much like the sounds of the FP-7/FP-4, and found the PHAIII action (pretty much the same as PHAII except for the extra sensor) to be a fine action. I was basing my comments on what I'd seen in terms of resale on Craigslist and eBay - however, I haven't been keeping a close watch, and it's perfectly possible that what I've seen is not a representative sample.

Edited by voxpops (08/30/13 08:29 PM)

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2141558 - 08/30/13 09:08 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

My take: FP7 feels a lot better than the FP4 (which still feels better than the FP4F)... but FP7 is way to heavy to gig with.

#2141807 - 08/31/13 12:28 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: anotherscott]

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
My take: FP7 feels a lot better than the FP4 (which still feels better than the FP4F)... but FP7 is way to heavy to gig with.

lol. I take it to a gig every now and then, and it's definitely a workout at over 50 lbs! That's one big reason I'm interested in the FP-50.

#2141809 - 08/31/13 12:32 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]

Darn, I thought I'd got away with it!

I, too, very much like the sounds of the FP-7/FP-4, and found the PHAIII action (pretty much the same as PHAII except for the extra sensor) to be a fine action. I was basing my comments on what I'd seen in terms of resale on Craigslist and eBay - however, I haven't been keeping a close watch, and it's perfectly possible that what I've seen is not a representative sample.

I won't hold it against you. wink

#2141812 - 08/31/13 12:37 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: KeyboardAficionado]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott

lol. I take it to a gig every now and then, and it's definitely a workout at over 50 lbs! That's one big reason I'm interested in the FP-50.

That, plus the wide range of useful functions/features, is why I think there is still a demand for the FP-4 - it's just so easy to tote.

The FP-50 is good, if not earth shattering. I haven't gigged mine yet, and that will be the acid test. I was expecting very little difference between the RD-64 and FP-50 in terms of basic sounds, and sold my original RD-64 to get the FP-50 (wanted a few more keys!). However, there is definitely more punch and sparkle to the RD, and so I ended up with both.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2141835 - 08/31/13 01:43 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]

That, plus the wide range of useful functions/features, is why I think there is still a demand for the FP-4 - it's just so easy to tote.

The FP-50 is good, if not earth shattering. I haven't gigged mine yet, and that will be the acid test. I was expecting very little difference between the RD-64 and FP-50 in terms of basic sounds, and sold my original RD-64 to get the FP-50 (wanted a few more keys!). However, there is definitely more punch and sparkle to the RD, and so I ended up with both.

You list the Nord Piano. What are your thoughts on it compared to the Rolands? I like the idea of downloading new piano sounds, but the cost is prohibitive, isn't it?

#2141846 - 08/31/13 02:25 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: KeyboardAficionado]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You list the Nord Piano. What are your thoughts on it compared to the Rolands? I like the idea of downloading new piano sounds, but the cost is prohibitive, isn't it?

The Nord and the Rolands are just so totally different, it's actually quite difficult to draw comparisons - however, I'll try!

I just love the three newest Nord grand pianos (Yamaha Bright Grand, Fazioli and Bosendorfer). They do actually sound like real pianos. They all seem to have quite long attack samples, but the decay loop can be obvious, and a little unappealing, once it kicks in. When I first started using the Nord V5 pianos on an Electro 3, I was put off by the rather odd-sounding release samples. Later models of Nord instruments had the option to use "Long Release," which smoothed out the release, rather like worn dampers. However, on these latest samples, and using the Nord Piano (Mk1), I find the original release samples more authentic.

As many have attested, the Nord pianos sound quite raw (unprocessed), and if you're used to highly processed samples (such as Roland's APs) these sound almost stark. They have a little bit of a problem when you hit the top octave or so, in that they seem to thin out markedly. This is very noticeable when playing them live. They also require excellent amplification, and I've had to tweak quite a bit to get the right stage sound. At home, running them through Yamaha HS80Ms, they sound great, and they record beautifully.

The Nord's EPs are getting long in the tooth, and I think Korg and Yamaha (with their SCM EPs) have surpassed Nord. However, I still like the original Nord MkI and MkV EPs, and think the Wurlitzer is remarkable for such a small sample. The interface helps here, too, in that you can add effects and EQ immediately. I also like the "LIVE" function, which stores tweaks as you go.

The Fatar action on the NP is underwhelming. For a $3k board it stinks, to be quite honest. But you can get the job done with it. As for the free downloads, yes, that's a major feature of the Nord range, and with the NP2 you gain access to a vast library of sounds in addition to the pianos (as long as you're OK with a single layer and very limited filter control).

On the other hand, the Roland AP sound is rich, thick, dark and quite processed. It can also be a problem amplifying the Roland pianos in a band setting. The sound can be woolly/bassy and get lost among other instruments, but the smoothness of response make them delightful to play. The SN pianos seem to use the same base samples that have been around for some years, but they've been fattened up, and the SN unlooped decay sounds way more authentic than most of the competition's pianos. There is a slightly dull quality to the sound, that then becomes metallic at high velocities, but velocity layer switching is inaudible. Both of Roland's current actions are better, IMO, than the Nord's Fatar, although the Ivory-feel G can feel a little "ponderous" - not bad though for the size and weight of the G boards.

Roland's EPs have been questionable for some time, and although the FP-50/80 EPs are much better than before, they don't rank with the best. Panel controls are now pretty limited on the FP range, but you can menu-dive and do some fairly extensive tweaking of the APs. EPs, however, are WYSIWYG except for being able to alter the rate of modulation. They tout these EPs as being "SuperNATURAL based," but they don't have any SN-type control, and they seem to be watered down generally - at least in the FP-50.

The older FP4/7 have thinner and, arguably, easier to amplify sounds. They sound very similar to the later SN models, but have noticeable layer transitions and looping. They don't respond quite as smoothly. Some of the older EPs have a distinctive and rather attractive sound. For band work, these instruments still have a lot going for them.

Edited by voxpops (08/31/13 07:00 PM)

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2142057 - 09/01/13 12:31 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]

Thank you for a thoughtful, detailed response. I will refer back to it when I'm comparing the brands.

I had a general feeling that Nord doesn't place a priority on the action like Roland does, as you mentioned.

What really stinks in general about keyboards in a live band setting: they easily get drowned out by electric guitars and drums that go full-out an entire set. I just read a quote from a player the other day (forgot the name) who sadly mentioned even the pro's tend to go constant full volume and there are no dynamics anymore. Bad news, especially for keys.

#2142672 - 09/02/13 05:23 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
I was wondering if anybody here has been using the FP-80 (or other modern Roland DPs) with a DAW. It seems that when I play the internal sounds through my computer sequencer I do not get the pedal noise and other Super Natural effects to sound. Also the ambience is different than when I play the sound on the keyboard itself. The effect is then always on for the corresponding sound I choose from the sequencer by default. I would like to choose the effects myself or use the settings I have chosen in the keyboard.

I also find it strange that according to the Midi implementation there are about 80 different effects in the keyboard already, but one can not reach these from the front panel of the FP-80.

Has anyone been using their DP with a DAW and been able to get the pedal noise and etc. to work?
thanx

edit: To make things worse: The Tone List is not correct. Some sounds do not correspond to the parameters given frown

Edited by Cmin (09/02/13 05:30 AM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2142674 - 09/02/13 05:49 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I recall dewster investigated something similar (playing back MIDI but still hearing the SuperNatural resonances etc.) on his wife's RD-700NX a little while ago - it might be worth dropping him a PM, assuming he doesn't reply here first.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2142855 - 09/02/13 03:09 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
@Cmin - I had the same discoveries with my 700NX also as you, but I did not dig much deeper to investigate. A brief poster came through with the same findings, and he couldn't get any info out of Roland directly either. I was surprised that there are more reverbs than button accessible, yes, what a waste.

#2142993 - 09/02/13 06:13 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Thanx guys. I'll try to get it working and post it here as soon as I find out how it works. I'm not a rookie with MIDI, but this is beyond me.
Sure is strange that Roland distance themselves from the users. It's almost impossible to find an email contact on their site. And the promised update is still not out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2143031 - 09/02/13 07:11 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Promised update?

#2143037 - 09/02/13 07:18 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In my experience, Roland rarely delivers updates. I've known a representative suggest that Roland, Japan, is aware of user requests and is working on an update, but that would not be regarded as a "promise," and is absolutely no guarantee that it will occur.

I would always suggest that no one buy a board - and particularly a Roland - unless they are happy with what it does out of the box.

Edited by voxpops (09/02/13 07:19 PM)

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2143040 - 09/02/13 07:22 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Don't bring me down. This machine is full of bugs. AND they promised it!

Yeah, they promised it me back on page 11. That's quite a while back.

#2143045 - 09/02/13 07:31 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I'm unable to find the post you're referring to Cmin.

Have you tried reporting the problems you are experiencing to Roland directly?

James
x

#2143046 - 09/02/13 07:32 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cmin
Don't bring me down. This machine is full of bugs. AND they promised it!

Yeah, they promised it me back on page 11. That's quite a while back.

Good luck!

Everyone who bought a VR-09 (great little board, but equally full of bugs and questionable programming) has been clamoring for an OS fix, and, IIRC, Roland at one time said that they were "99%" there - a figure that has since evaporated from the web. As the months go by, it is increasingly doubtful whether the engineers have any intention of fixing anything. Basically, once the board is out there, unless people stop buying it because of a known issue, you're on your own.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2143227 - 09/03/13 02:52 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Is that equal for all manufacturers , or mostly a problem with Roland gear. Pure from my own experience and 'feeling' I would rate the response to bug reports and user requests from good to worse:

1) Kurzweil (churning out updates regularly even for old boards)
2) Casio (very responsive , but verdict is still out a bit; PX5 has some details to be worked out still, so I hope they indeed come up with another update)
3) Kawai
4) Korg
5) Roland and Yamaha ; they seem the most arrogant of the flock. Perhaps to big to care at all (Yamaha) , or living on another planet (Roland).

Edit: forgot Clavia , but got no experience with them. Anyone would care to give them a rating ? Brands like Studiologic dangle at the bottom of every list; they seem to be unaware there is a world out there at all and customers who you could communicate with.

Edited by JFP (09/03/13 02:54 AM)

#2143270 - 09/03/13 05:35 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Cmin Offline

Having had the FP-80 now for some months, practicing quite often and playing a few gigs, here are my negative observations:

Bug list:

1. EQ and ambience on by default when turning on. Can not be saved in memory.
2. EQ stays on in Registration when changing from Preset with EQ, even though Registration was saved without.
3. Mic Harmony stays on level 8 (default) when switching from Preset to Registration, even though it was saved at a different level and shows a different level in Registration.
4. Pedal noise is audible when Local is set to off when last sound was set to a piano tone.
5. Mic Harmony effect affects the Line In as well.
6. Rotary effect on organ tones is not switchable with pedal.
7. Piano Designer parameters can not be saved in Registry.
8. When returning to Presets from Registration, Key Touch and Mic Harmony Level keep settings from the Registry.
9. EQ affects internal sound engine, microphone input and line in.
10. Key Touch can not be saved in memory.

These things might still work but I'd have to dig deeper into the realms of the world of Midi. They are not simple adjustments that are reachable via simple program changes:
No pedal noise and sound designer effect when receiving Midi from DAW.
Ambience is on by default when receiving Midi from DAW. Must then be switched off on front panel.
Ambience is the only effect on all sounds when receiving Midi from DAW.

Hardware:
No Audio over USB.
Mic In is not symmetrical.

The positive:
Great keyboard feeling. Texture and weighting.
Good piano, e-piano, and organ sounds.
Good (enough) speaker system.
Good screen size.
Not too heavy for transport.
Good chassis.
Simple recording possibilities directly to USB stick.

Personally, I could live without all the instrument backing and the rest of the 300+ sounds. It makes it somewhat not serious.

If you have noticed any other bugs or faults please post them and I will be glad to add them to the list. The same with positive input.
I strongly hope that Roland will read these posts and maybe bring out some changes. After all, when googling the FP-80, Piano World is in the top ten wink

#2143359 - 09/03/13 10:19 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

With regard to EQ, unfortunately the inability to save to a registration is a "feature" rather than a bug, as, according to the manual, EQ is only savable globally. That's a shame, as its most obvious advantage (to me) is to allow certain sounds/registrations (such as EPs) to have an individual EQ that makes them "zing" a little more, for example.

Roland is extremely careful, and more so as time goes on, not to affect sales of their dedicated stage products by putting pro features into their slabs. Since the FP-4/7, such features have been whittled away to the point that, unless you just want a straight piano on stage, the FP's are much more for home use (with a bunch of additional, but less than professional, toys).

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2143489 - 09/03/13 02:51 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: voxpops]
Cmin Offline

Wonder why the FP's are in their stage piano section then.

Edited by Cmin (09/03/13 02:51 PM)

#2143497 - 09/03/13 03:25 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA

That's where marketing told engineering to stick it.

#2143532 - 09/03/13 04:51 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Petro Offline

Loc: North Land
Why not? And where else if not in stage piano'? I use it as the stage piano actually. It is more convenient to use with another keys atop (I use Kronos) than RD since it is flat, no those knobs all around the desk.

BTW, what FP stands for? RD probably derived from RoaD?, HP - Home Piano, FP - Functional Piano? Funny? Feeling? Friendly? Foot? F....?

#2143535 - 09/03/13 04:57 PM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fake ?

#2143832 - 09/04/13 03:24 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
The limited possibilities to save instrument settings with a particular sound in a combined way is a big drawback all Rolands suffer: same on my newest generation HP instrument. This drawback really is THE big limit the Rolands have, besides the randomly stumbling volume and timbre distribution along the keys hampering an even sound experience. While the latter is only a subtle to hear bug, the former is dominantly annoying. I can find for any sound pleasing settings, but they become lost each time you change to a different sound. It's pathetic, because you can only change to a different sound but never become instantly happy with it, unless you don´t bother about a full minute of pressing function key sequences according to your paper written notes upon changing a sound.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#2143836 - 09/04/13 03:36 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Marco, is there no 'Registration' or 'User Memory' feature you can use to store your favourite settings?

Cheers,
James
x

#2143846 - 09/04/13 04:21 AM Re: All about Roland FP-80 & FP-50!!! [Re: Cmin]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Unfortunatley not for individual sounds, but only 1 general store for the allover instrument.
Imagine this: Grand piano setting having key dynamics set to heavy, and therefore brilliance to high, additionally having reverb set to a little value. Church organ setting having no key dynamics (only on/off) with neutral brilliance and reverb to maximum. Not to mention all the other possibilities the function settings provide, like the resonance settings which can impact the organ sound.
I can save exactly one set of settings in the general store called "BACKUP", which is then applied upon powering up the instrument. That´s it.
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

Page 14 of 17 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (36251, ajames, AndresD, aDino, 40 invisible), 1775 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156282 Topics
2295194 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
07/30/14 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
07/30/14 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
07/30/14 11:51 AM
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
07/30/14 11:21 AM
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission