2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
R B,

I understand what you are you are saying about the frame and strings, but the soundboard always remains a major factor when assessing tuning stability. The strings don't just 'float' above the sound board (grand), transmitting the vibration to the soundboard through the air. They are directly coupled to the SB by means of the bridge. The atmospheric fluctuations of the RH greatly affect the wood of the SB, and that directly affects the tension of the strings. Thus, the piano goes out of tune due to the expansion/contraction of the wood. If the surrounding environment is kept at an narrow RH range, there is less direct on the SB. Hope this helps.

Larry, the generalization about 'dry winters' is a reference to a four season climate, rather than to the specifics of your area. Your friends in Austria might have a very different experience. Being a player of acoustic guitar, don't you find that you are checking tuning, and making small (fine) adjustments, on a daily basis? It would be unusual to not. Like with a violin or other similar string instrument, it is a constant process, rather than trying to attain long term tuning stability.

Well not really. But part of the reason is that my guitars are laminate,not solid like the top end acoustics. Laminates are less susceptible to humidity than solid wood tops.
But who are my friends in Austria?? And my question is are upright pianos as susceptible to humidity changes as grands?

Last edited by LarryShone; 04/04/13 09:16 AM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
LOL- Larry,

Your 'hypothetical, yet unmet, and soon to be,' friends.

All of the same principles apply to a vertical, acoustic piano.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
This all brings up another interesting point that I would very much like to know the answer to. Have there been studies that conclusively show that the Steingraber Phoenix system, with carbon fiber soundboard, or the Luis and Clark carbon fiber string instruments, are inherently more stable than their wood counterparts, and, if so, by how much. In other words, if I place a string at a certain frequency on each type of instrument, how much longer will it maintain that frequency as compared to a wood version of that same instrument? Also, when it does drift away from the desired frequency, what is causing it to do so in a carbon fiber instrument?

Piano Technician/Tuner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CC2 and Chopin lover
Also, when it does drift away from the desired frequency, what is causing it to do so in a carbon fiber instrument?

Playing it. No joke.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Thanks all,
I also have a couple of WOODEN guitars, those are just about all wood and do "drift" out of tune, but the strings tend to stay in tune with each other. If/when one drifts more than the others it is USUALLY a sign that it will need to be replaced fairly soon.
{There are other factors on nylon string guitars though, frets tend to "waist" strings, leading to local thinning and stretching.}

Yes, I "get it" that the sound board and all the other bits of wood have coupling effects, but for unisons in particular I would have thought that it is the same bit of wood, those at least should "stay together".

As far as the pin block goes and its grip on the pin - not sure I agree.
As a "machine" it is WAY less than 50% efficient, i.e. no amount of string pounding should be able to rotate a pin (in my uninformed opinion, etc.)

If all it comes down to is that wood is subject to environmental factors and is variable in its consistency my current conclusions are;
1) Wood can/could be carefully selected and matched, probably IS in top tier grands.
2) It could at least be SEALED on all exposed sides (& inside holes) and may be in some places.
3) It may be the WRONG material in many places - tradition aside.

I really am NOT trying to argue wood out of pianos - like there would be half a chance of doing THAT (-:

Ahhh, whatever happened to that "self tuning piano" ?
The invention that sent current through the strings (as wires) to get them up to some previously set tuning temperature (of 96 F as I recall).

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Playing it. No joke.

Ahh, so that only goes further to prove my earlier point about the ability to "stabilize" a tuning,to any great degree , using some sort of "technique", such as "flagpoling", "tilting" or heavy strikes on the keys. If the simple act of playing sends even the "humidity proof" instruments, such as the Luis and Clark violins, violas and cellos, or the "humidity resistance" piano, such as the Steingraber Phoenix, out of tune, then no "technique" could overcome those mechanical forces for very long.

Piano Technician/Tuner
R_B #2059187 04/04/13 10:11 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R_B

I hear you... "Nerf" would be a great
material to make into cars.... but
that darn tradition thing....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CC2 and Chopin lover
Playing it. No joke.

Ahh, so that only goes further to prove my earlier point about the ability to "stabilize" a tuning,to any great degree , using some sort of "technique", such as "flagpoling", "tilting" or heavy strikes on the keys. If the simple act of playing sends even the "humidity proof" instruments, such as the Luis and Clark violins, violas and cellos, or the "humidity resistance" piano, such as the Steingraber Phoenix, out of tune, then no "technique" could overcome those mechanical forces for very long.

Correct - esp. if it's a well-used piano.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Plinky88
Originally Posted by R_B

I hear you... "Nerf" would be a great
material to make into cars.... but
that darn tradition thing....

Pneumatic fenders with same/similar construction to tires ?
Yes, but those would put body shops out of business and probably ENCOURAGE fairground bumper car behavior.
Much as helmets and shoulder pads have made (American) football a MUCH more dangerous game.

MOVING existing problems is not the same as SOLVING them, or by design AVOIDING them (-:

We are getting farther from the topic here...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Any istrument that employs strings under tension is gonna be subject to detuning, whether played or not.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by LarryShone
Any istrument that employs strings under tension is gonna be subject to detuning, whether played or not.

One could IMAGINE a string instrument that (by design) does NOT.

Lets see, the effect of increasing temperature on (most) materials that could be used for strings is to expand them, i.e. to reduce their tension and therefore the pitch.

OK, but that ASSUMES that the length remains constant.
I see no good reason to not design some way of changing the length to directly compensate - not that I have a solution, just the notion that it COULD be done.
("length" should probably be "speaking length" ?)

I know, I know, this may be impractical for "pianos" (as currently defined).

...and yes, the double negative probably COULD have been avoided.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission