2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Almost done with my little Schubert phase! smile
As always, I'd be grateful for any constructive feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAsQDJuSpZk

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Note perfect, and the tone was excellent. Very good sound mix on the recording.

First, I play this piece in four measure phrases. I feel that it sets the melody in the listener's ear better that way. Otherwise, the piece can get boring.

Second, in that I am a devotee of 19th century piano performance, I arpeggiate (gently and softly) the chords in both hands of the "A" section. I do the same in the "B" section only louder.

Which brings up what I call the Paul Badura-Skoda point. As you know, he re-recorded all of his Schubert after having played on Schubert's piano.

My point, is that I am very conservative when it comes to Schubert volume levels. My urtext has the "A" section marked pianissimo, and the "B" section marked forte.

Also, I asynchronize the bass note in the "C" section, which enhances the melody line.

Finally, I do not play any of the repeats. Brendel only plays the repeats in the "C" section, and he comes in around six minutes. Although he plays the "A" section slower than you do, I agree with your tempo.

Clara Schumann taught her students to only play the repeats if the piece was unknown to the listener. This is a very common work, and I think all of the repeats make it a little long.

You have the makings of a true concert pianist, although if you ever want to attain the level of an Arrau, Horowitz, or Rubinstein, you are going to have to learn to sit still. All of the upper body movement distracts from the music - in this case, beautiful music.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
pianovirus, briefly put, I thought this was the best of the lot to date. For me, you made a special point of emphasizing the songful character of both the "A" and "B" sections, without a significant shift in tempo between them. I think that's absolutely correct -- I often hear a "sturm-and-drang" virtuoso approach in the middle section which to me unbalances the sense of the Impromptu. Also, you had the presence of mind to build in some subtle changes in voicings and gestures in the repeats, which for me is absolutely necessary. I thought your singing line, pace, and voicings were just especially satisfying and natural in this one. Thanks for sharing!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My only suggestion would be that in terms of shaping the melody the opening note and most of the other similar places in this piece was a little too soft so I felt it's connection to the next note in the phrase was lost. I listened to several YouTube recordings of the piece, and most(but not all) of the time the pianists did play those notes a little louder than you did.

Bravo!

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/04/13 04:57 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Louis, Tim, and plus for the encouraging feedback and the suggestions.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My only suggestion would be that in terms of shaping the melody the opening note and most of the other similar places in this piece was a little too soft so I felt it's connection to the next note in the phrase was lost.

I fully agree with this comment. It really compromises the connection to the phrase in the current way.

Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
First, I play this piece in four measure phrases. I feel that it sets the melody in the listener's ear better that way. Otherwise, the piece can get boring.

If I understand correctly, you perceived that I phrased mainly shorter units, right? In that case, I agree with you, the phrasing should not only be on shorter units; the main phrases should be on four measures.

Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
Finally, I do not play any of the repeats. Brendel only plays the repeats in the "C" section, and he comes in around six minutes.

I was not aware he skipped the repeats (thanks for that comment, I just listened to his recording again). But (it's just a matter of taste of course), I personally much prefer it with the repeats. Heavenly lengths! smile

P.S. Btw, just a thought that crossed my mind: the beautiful melody emerging out of the triplets in measures 55-58 -- it's notated in a peculiar way without emphasizing the melody notes. I don't know if it was Schubert's way of saying "not too pronounced", just play it casually, or if it's just idiosyncratic notation. In any case, if one wants to play this melody more pronounced a fingering that allows for more finger legato on the melody notes might be better. Right now, I just always use the thumb on melody notes. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested to hear.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission