2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted by pianoslacker
Surely it's got to be Handel? Whether people like him or not, he's widely accepted as one of the greats, the way many of the others mentioned on here aren't. But there's such a prejudice against him, one that even I can't help sharing to some extent.

[...]

Now I'm not saying that Handel is the same thing as Bach, but still. And I wonder sometimes what the grounds of this prejudice might be?

Schoenberg was very anti-Händel / pro-Bach on the same, purely musical grounds that the Nazis were when they adopted Händel as an approved state composer over Bach: simplicity! Some Händel can be great, but almost all of the Bach that I have heard has been infinitely richer than Händel. Just my (and Schoenberg's) two cents.

Originally Posted by Plowboy
William Grant Still? He's definitely neglected, and undeservedly so.

I enjoyed this, to a point! His idiom feels a bit dated, and that it might not hold up to repeated listenings, but I haven't heard anything quite like it, so it's a very nice a palette cleanser!

Originally Posted by Dwscamel
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Rzwvzckqlrtpszewsky

Of course, hit up Rzwvzckqlrtpszewsky laugh.

Rzweverklpylytcbzewski is a wonderful composer! grin

Okay, contribution time: Roger Redgate's Eidos. About a minute long, and I feel like it would make a great encore. I just bought the (two page) score for this today on the basis of Nicholas Hodges' powerful and affecting performance:

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Rzwvzckqaergliuajreljgfaweiojfiwulajaijfwetpszewsky is pretty under-appreciated, I agree.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Rzwvzckqaergliuajreljgfaweiojfiwulajaijfwetpszewsky is pretty under-appreciated, I agree.

I agree, Rzwzezqszzzjjjisjzjfsky's so under-appreciated I never spell his name the same twice.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Karol Szymanowski,
I'm little surprised that nobody has mentioned him yet...

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by kapelli
Karol Szymanowski,

Perhaps because he hasn't been entirely neglected here? At least I personally have tried to keep the discussion up about his music in various threads, haha wink

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I haven't followed the entire thread, but it seems some of the russian avant-garde guys aren't mentioned much. Roslavets, Feinberg, Mosolov, people? Some very valuable stuff there, just discovering Roslavets piano sonatas.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fnork
Originally Posted by kapelli
Karol Szymanowski,

Perhaps because he hasn't been entirely neglected here? At least I personally have tried to keep the discussion up about his music in various threads, haha wink

Not to mention that you have posted some very fine performances of his work!

For Polish composers who are really neglected here, how about Artur Malawski? His Symphonic Etudes for piano and orchestra should be better known, I think. As should the Toccata and Fugue in the Form of Variations, also for piano and orchestra - I can't even find a recording of this, although there is a rumor that there once was one. I wish somebody would upload it to YouTube, if it exists. Considering how rare it is, I am surprised that once, decades ago, I heard/saw it on a television broadcast, and still can remember how taken I was with it. The Symphonic Etudes are there already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGbt0FE3jA

Back to Szymanowski, there's a new recording of the Symphonie Concertante on Chandos with Louis Lortie that's really good.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoslacker
Surely it's got to be Handel? Whether people like him or not, he's widely accepted as one of the greats, the way many of the others mentioned on here aren't...

Now I'm not saying that Handel is the same thing as Bach, but still. And I wonder sometimes what the grounds of this prejudice might be?
I think Handel's greatness has nothing to do with his keyboard music which I don't find very great. I think there are good reasons why it's almost never performed with the exception of a handful of works.

I think many of the composers on this thread may fall in the neglected category but hardly in the great category.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/06/13 09:23 AM.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think many of the composers on this thread may fall in the neglected category but hardly in the great category.

Well, I for one am fairly tired of the approach to music history where we have one Genius Composer carrying the torch of Western Classical Music until the next Genius Composer comes along and takes it over. Once you start looking under the surface, there was so much more going on. Early 20th century french music is so much more than just Ravel and Debussy...to give but one example. Also, it's only fair to point out that composers under the Great category often found inspiration from others around them, however less great they might have been. Just to give a example, a highly talented pianist I know, currently a visiting fellow at Harvard where he's been working with Robert Levin, once came across a little-known C minor piece (sonata perhaps, dont remember) by a mostly forgotten viennes classical composer that started with a motif close to identical to Mozart's C minor fantasy. After the closure on the dominant in the 2nd bar, the theme is re-stated one whole-tone down...As far as I remember, it was written in Vienna and pre-dates the Mozart piece by a year or two. Coincidence? Like Stravinsky said about great composers...they don't borrow, they steal.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Szymanowski, Ligeti, Dussek!!!!

Albeniz, De Falla, Granados, Villa Lobos, Ginastera, Lecuona, any other Latin American/Spanish composer

Griffes!

Also, this Stanchinsky work in particular is an underrated gem:

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....I for one am fairly tired of the approach to music history where we have one Genius Composer carrying the torch of Western Classical Music until the next Genius Composer comes along and takes it over....A highly talented pianist I know....came across a little-known C minor piece (sonata perhaps, dont remember) by a mostly forgotten viennes classical composer that started with a motif close to identical to Mozart's C minor fantasy. After the closure on the dominant in the 2nd bar, the theme is re-stated one whole-tone down...As far as I remember, it was written in Vienna and pre-dates the Mozart piece by a year or two....

C'mon, don't hold out on us! ha
Who's the composer?

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
C'mon, don't hold out on us! ha
Who's the composer?

The ever-celebrated and over-performed...Leopold Kozeluch!!! Actually, saying that the motif is "close to identical" was an exaggeration, now that I looked back at the score. The similarity is still rather striking to my mind. Did Mozart hear this piece before he wrote the fantasy? Check the score for yourself:

Kozeluch sonata

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....Did Mozart hear this piece before he wrote the fantasy? Check the score for yourself....

My goodness gracious. ha

I think Kozeluch was hanging out by Mozart's window, heard it, and wrote this real fast before Mozart could get his out. grin

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Listen the spectacular Finale (from 4:12), however all iss marvellous.
And Blechacz is playing smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I would start with the three M's: Mendelssohn, MacDowell, and Medtner. Surprised nobody has mentioned MacDowell yet, as his piano contributions are very accessible and modern-sounding in their simplicity.

Then there are the three H's: Handel, Hummel, and Hindemith.

Finally anybody who's surname begins with Ch. No, I'm not thinking of Chopin. I'm thinking of Cecile Chaminade and Emmanuel Chabrier.

Fazioli 228.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
How about the American composer Charles Griffes?

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

Not that I've heard an awful lot so far but he seems to have been very uneven, and perhaps not very innovative either.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

Not that I've heard an awful lot so far but he seems to have been very uneven, and perhaps not very innovative either.

Perhaps, but I don't hear his piano sonata as being particularly inferior to the Barber, if the latter has more opportunities for the virtuoso.

Elliott Carter's early sonata (from 1945) seems to me a better work than either.

Jason
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Numerian
I would start with the three M's: Mendelssohn, MacDowell, and Medtner...
Then there are the three H's: Handel, Hummel, and Hindemith.
Finally anybody who's surname begins with Ch. No, I'm not thinking of Chopin. I'm thinking of Cecile Chaminade and Emmanuel Chabrier.

What about the 3 I's: Ives, and Ippolitov-Ivanov (counts as 2! if only he'd written more for piano). ha

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission