2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I have the sheet music (bought in Japan) for a pretty Schubert piece marked only "Schubert Serenade". I've been wondering what the Opus or "D" numbers were, because I'd like to hear a recording of it in the The Naxos Music Library .

I came across it in The Piano Bench of Classical Music: Piano Solo (Hal Leonard) on Amazon, using the Look Inside function. It's on p.186, as Op.90 No.11. However, Op.90 is "4 Impromptus", D.899.

Here's a screen shot of the first 4 lines:
[Linked Image]

Kawai RX-2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A quick google gave the answer (I think). smile

A composer named Gustav Lange did arrangements of Schubert Lieder, and it seems the numbering that you saw is for LANGE'S stuff.

i.e. It's not Schubert's Op. 90. it's Lange's Op. 90.

(Imagine -- poor guy, he did at least 90 works.....heck, it might have been at least 900, since this opus has at least 11 in it ha ....and we never heard of him....)

OP Offline
Thanks very much, Mark C.

Unfortunately there's no recording in NML.

Kawai RX-2
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The original Schubert song Ständchen (Serenade) is the 4th song in the cycle Schwanengesang which is D957. (Just in case that was what you were asking. You should certainly be able to find a recording of it)

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by currawong
....You should certainly be able to find a recording of it)

Thousands! grin

Pianozuki: What Currawong said.
This is one of Schubert's very most famous songs.....oops, "lieder." smile
But maybe you already knew that. I assumed you did, because of how famous this is.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The Liszt transcription of Schubert's "Ständchen" is well-known and often played.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
(Imagine -- poor guy, he did at least 90 works.....heck, it might have been at least 900, since this opus has at least 11 in it ha ....and we never heard of him....)

I've played Lange's "Flower Song" and a few other character pieces.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ah yes, I played "Flower Song" too (it was in a collection of popular piano music I found at a book sale).
As for Schubert, I have the original piece and Liszt's transcription.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD
The Liszt transcription of Schubert's "Ständchen" is well-known and often played.

Regards,

Yes! The Naxos Music Library has several recordings of the Liszt transription. Hearing them, I wanted to try my hand(s) at the score. The score I'm thinking of buying is published by Durand and sold by SheetMusicPlus. Would that be a good one?

Kawai RX-2
OP Offline
Originally Posted by currawong
The original Schubert song Ständchen (Serenade) is the 4th song in the cycle Schwanengesang which is D957. (Just in case that was what you were asking. You should certainly be able to find a recording of it)

No, I didn't know that the score I have is a transcription of a Schubert lieder. But I'm delighted to know that now, and have found that NML has many recordings.

Kawai RX-2
A
A
Originally Posted by pianozuki

Regards,

Yes! The Naxos Music Library has several recordings of the Liszt transription. Hearing them, I wanted to try my hand(s) at the score. The score I'm thinking of buying is published by Durand and sold by SheetMusicPlus. Would that be a good one?

This is the score that I studied. It's fine... it's printed with a hard and easy part, which is a little distracting, but the easy part goes away after a couple of pages. In some sections, the only difference between the two is how the accompanimental chords are split between the hands - the hard version asks you to do a fair amount of 3-against-2 in the same hand, which was not easy for me at first.

Good luck with it! smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
There is also a copy (photo of an old edition) available on IMSLP

Standchen

Scroll down to the "piano solo (Liszt)" versions if you want to give it a try before purchasing it.

I have it in a Peters Edition that includes other transcriptions by Liszt of songs by Schubert, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Beethoven, etc. (Peters : Liszt, Klavierwerke, Band IX, Lieder-Bearbeitungen, catalogue No 3602a)

and in Liszt's transcription of the complete Schubert Schwanengesang and some of the Winterreise Lieder in the Edita Musica Budapest (Z. B 13 358).

Both these editions are considerably more expensive (over $40.00US each several years ago), but they do provide fairly authentic editions of so many of the well-known Liszt transcriptions of Schubert (and other) songs. Good editions to have, if you are interested in Liszt transcriptions.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by aidans
but the easy part goes away after a couple of pages. In some sections, the only difference between the two is how the accompanimental chords are split between the hands - the hard version asks you to do a fair amount of 3-against-2 in the same hand, which was not easy for me at first.

I didn't see any reason to play the 3v2 in the same hand. The way Liszt dispersed the notes sometimes didn't ease the clumsiness.

OP Offline
There is also a copy (photo of an old edition) available on IMSLP

Standchen

Scroll down to the "piano solo (Liszt)" versions if you want to give it a try before purchasing it.

I have it in a Peters Edition that includes other transcriptions by Liszt of songs by Schubert, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Beethoven, etc. (Peters : Liszt, Klavierwerke, Band IX, Lieder-Bearbeitungen, catalogue No 3602a)

and in Liszt's transcription of the complete Schubert Schwanengesang and some of the Winterreise Lieder in the Edita Musica Budapest (Z. B 13 358).

Both these editions are considerably more expensive (over $40.00US each several years ago), but they do provide fairly authentic editions of so many of the well-known Liszt transcriptions of Schubert (and other) songs. Good editions to have, if you are interested in Liszt transcriptions.

Regards,

Great information! Thank you.

Here's the score you guided me to on IMSLP. Here.

At the Peters Edition site, your Peters Edition is now USD 71.50.

I was unable to find your Edita Musica Budapest edition.

So I'm thinking of either buying the Durand (approved by aidans), or "Liszt -- 21 Selected Piano Works (Alfred Masterwork Edition: CD Edition)" here. Can others approve the latter?

Last edited by pianozuki; 04/06/13 05:13 PM.

Kawai RX-2
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Try here, volume 21

Nearly 100 dollars, and a bit more for a cloth bound version.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
So I'm thinking of either buying the Durand (approved by aidans), or "Liszt -- 21 Selected Piano Works (Alfred Masterwork Edition: CD Edition)" here. Can others approve the latter?

For a couple of dollars more than the cost of the Durand edition, you get 20 more compositions in the Alfred Masterworks. Quite frequently, their introductory notes are somewhat cursory, but sometimes they are quite helpful. The musical text is usually quite reliable in the Alfred Masterworks; I would go with that over the Durand.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have the Alfred Masterworks Edition of his Impromptus and Moments Musicaux and think it is good. I think the Alfred Masterworks Editions are among the best not too expensive editions. They also stay open. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Damon

Try here, volume 21

Nearly 100 dollars, and a bit more for a cloth bound version.

I won't buy it now, at least, but I'm glad to know about Theodore Presser Company, music publisher & distributor. Thank you.

Kawai RX-2
A
A
but the easy part goes away after a couple of pages. In some sections, the only difference between the two is how the accompanimental chords are split between the hands - the hard version asks you to do a fair amount of 3-against-2 in the same hand, which was not easy for me at first.

I didn't see any reason to play the 3v2 in the same hand. The way Liszt dispersed the notes sometimes didn't ease the clumsiness.

I did this too, in a few cases. The way it's arranged for the hands sometimes made me think it was intended as an exercise. But it seems too beautiful for an exercise. smile

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I did this too, in a few cases. The way it's arranged for the hands sometimes made me think it was intended as an exercise.

I don't mind the idea of playing the polyrhythm with one hand but I'm not going to do it AND cross thumbs. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission