2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
Two part question:

a)
Anybody experience Casio infinite "Please wait" error message? If so, please share model, how it was finally resolved, and if it happened again after the warranty period. I'm trying to figure out if these terminal types of software / hardware errors are common. For me, the Casio AP-620 terminal "please wait" error really scares me from long term ownership of this piano in particular when it appears that other models from the same company have the same issue. I don't think this is a bug as it is QA issue, either a faulty bug or Flash / memory component. I've only performed a default reset about 2 to 3 times, and I don't know if by doing this, writing to the Flash in only a few times may contribute to the failure. It shouldn't if the components are of high quality.

b)
Anybody experience similar error message that won't go away which rendered your piano useless (regardless of brand)? Brand / Model / and was it out of warranty / How long you had it before such failure that would prevent you from playing the piano?

In your response, please tell me how the issue was resolved, specifically, if you had to drive the piano to a repair shop, miles driven, how many round trip did it take and did you have to leave the piano there over night, or did the company mail you the component, etc or did the company send a repair man to your house to fix the electronic issue?

Also tell me the approximate years of ownership before this happened and if it was in or out of warranty and the out of pocket $$ it cost for repair.

I ask these two questions to get a feel of reliability of a digital pianos in addition to what the ordeal was like. There is no need for you to write "I had so and so piano for x years, and never had a problem." What I want is a general feel of things in regards to DP vs. Accoustic. Please keep thread on topic and not go on tangent, but feel free to provide detail on experience. For example, issue and did the manufacturer send a tech to your house to fix it, or did you have drive hundreds of miles to drop it off??

I'm trying to figure out if I should sell my Digital Piano and get a used 1985 Upright Yamaha instead because I don't want to be stuck with a dead weight after the warranty where I can't afford to repair the DP. Yes, I currently have an issue now and have written about it on a separate thread. At least with an Acoustic, you won't find such catastrophic end of life, and in some cases, you can repair the acoustic piano yourself.

I'm curious, how much do you think an average Main board cost, and the power supply? Single DIY key action replacement? I mean, practically, my impression is that the company can charge you whatever they want when the customer have a dead weight, and that's why I write.

Last edited by pianoworldanon; 04/07/13 03:55 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good question. But there may be many like myself of longstanding who have never had problems with their Yamaha pianos . . .now and again, a "Digital Twitch" means I have to switch off, and on again very occasionally, always to do with DSP whatever that is.. I accompany this with a "Gallic Shrug".

But I would never go down the acoustic path. Why settle for a model"T" when you can have "Mustang" . . . not a very good analogy was it?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Forgot to mention, A kAWAI I had from new failed me within the guarantee period. It was still hard work getting it sorted; I needed it for work I was doing. Rumour has it things have improved. The best advice I can give would be to buy cheap, or unfashionable models such as the DGS 640 which you`ll get for around £550 . .. new.

But DPs are fixable. And insurable if you`re over worried. That last option sounds attractive if you spend a lot on it . . hope this is helpful

"[Linked Image]"
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by peterws
Forgot to mention, A kAWAI I had from new failed me within the guarantee period. It was still hard work getting it sorted; I needed it for work I was doing. Rumour has it things have improved. The best advice I can give would be to buy cheap, or unfashionable models such as the DGS 640 which you`ll get for around £550 . .. new.

But DPs are fixable. And insurable if you`re over worried. That last option sounds attractive if you spend a lot on it . . hope this is helpful

I've been thinking about selling my digital piano and get a used good acoustic piano so I started this thread -- I'm just very very scared of these poor quality assurance. I can't afford to pay out of pocket after the warranty period. If there's a section on pros and cons of a digital piano, feel free to link my threads cuz this is one of the hidden cons of a digital piano, not only the fear of it go into terminal breakage after the warranty period is over, but also the double round trips per issue. This is something that I did not anticipate when I got the digital piano. I am told by the seller of pianos that seldom does electronic piano have issues! This is BS! total BS or this reputable seller is just ignorant of the issues. I think it's helpful to bring these digital issues to light so that people are more aware before they go buy a digital. After having done some reading online, I'm inclined to get an inexpensive used reliable acoustic and then learn to tune the piano myself with the free tuning software and online tutorial. It's not hard to do at all.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...onic%201970%20vs.%20Yam.html#Post2059173

and

http://vimeo.com/28802239

thank you peter for sharing.

Last edited by pianoworldanon; 04/07/13 04:44 AM.
C
C
Well, in defense of the digital pianos, they should not really break down that often. Of course, they still are electric/electronic appliances and are therefore subject to random power spikes/surges that may damage the delicate electronic parts such as memory or processor(s). Things like that simply happen and there's little you can do except use electric outlets with spike protection.

If you think an acoustic piano is the way you want to go, then by all means go for it. Keep in mind, however, that acoustic pianos bring with themselves a different bunch of problems and each piece is unique and different.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

But I would never go down the acoustic path. Why settle for a model"T" when you can have "Mustang" . . . not a very good analogy was it?

Every time you say things like that, you make it impossible for me to take you seriously as a musician.

Ando, I don`t expect nor desire anybody to take me seriously as a musician or otherwise . . .have fun, lad!

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
It is really simple. If you can afford an acoustic, don't need the features of a digital, have the space for it, are willing to pay for keeping it in tune, buy an acoustic.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Ando, I don`t expect nor desire anybody to take me seriously as a musician or otherwise . . .have fun, lad!

Ok, I won't take you seriously in any respect from now on. But it does prompt the question: what exactly are you on here for? What is the point of the all the oddball threads you start and the posts you make championing the superiority of cheap electronic gear over substantial acoustic instruments? Heck, you don't even defend DPs from the quality end of the digital piano spectrum - you give the impression that you are totally amazed by any cheap keyboard that stays in tune. It's the very definition of a troll - although you are a relatively harmless troll. If your purpose is comic relief, then I think it needs to be a lot funnier because ultimately, this is a piano forum frequented by musicians and hobbyists who are interested in halfway intelligent discussion.

R
R
Originally Posted by pianoworldanon
and then learn to tune the piano myself with the free tuning software and online tutorial. It's not hard to do at all.

You are joking, right?
If you can afford a decent acoustic then get one (but the reliability or otherwise of a DP would be way down my list of reasons) but make sure you get it tuned by a professional.

Nord Piano 2, EV ZXA1 x2, Allen and Heath ZED 10FX, Roland VK7, Kawai KG-2C
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by R Jay
and then learn to tune the piano myself with the free tuning software and online tutorial. It's not hard to do at all.

You are joking, right?
If you can afford a decent acoustic then get one (but the reliability or otherwise of a DP would be way down my list of reasons) but make sure you get it tuned by a professional.

+1

M
M
You can learn to tune and regulate a piano, change parts, adjust felts etc. by yourself, with books, online tutorials or by posting questions on the piano tuner forum but. It's no magic but during that time be sure to have a second piano at hand, should you want to actually play ;-)

Originally Posted by JFP

You are joking, right?

+1

--1 !
Why not, with some initial practicing and really good Tuning SW you can do it, and it is a new experience and know-how, and later on You can experiment perhaps with other temperaments also !
I would begin in cooperation with a PT, borrow a tuning kit from him for a day (lever, dampening rubber) doing it at first myself (will cost probably the whole day at first!) and on the first occasion I would call the piano technician to revise your work and give some advise.
And after this You will see is your your cup of tea or not, but You will have learned a lot about pianos.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I have never had a spontaneous electronic failure, but I did botch a firmware update on my Kawai MP8 one time and the piano started making jibberish sounds when I played. Trying to reflash did not work. Had to replace the main board.

I suppose it doesn't count because it wasn't a reliability issue as much as a user error issue.

For the most part you don't see software or electronic problems in DP's before they are obsolete and get replaced voluntarily.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Clayman
Well, in defense of the digital pianos, they should not really break down that often. Of course, they still are electric/electronic appliances and are therefore subject to random power spikes/surges that may damage the delicate electronic parts such as memory or processor(s). Things like that simply happen and there's little you can do except use electric outlets with spike protection.

If you think an acoustic piano is the way you want to go, then by all means go for it. Keep in mind, however, that acoustic pianos bring with themselves a different bunch of problems and each piece is unique and different.

A device such as these should in theory take care of all power spikes:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE600-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA5Z/ref=pd_sim_e_1

And there's no need to replace batteries that UPS requires.. but there are some high end UPS that does have the AVR (automatic voltage regulator built in). THe above is for max of 600 watts which should be sufficient for all digital pianos, otherwise get the 1200 watt model.

Therefore, memory, cpu, sensitive electronic components would never be affected, adn then it comes down to the quality of the capacitors and internal components. Years back, many Dell PC are known to have faulty bulgy capacitors.

P
OP Offline
P

You are joking, right?

It is easy to tune a piano:
http://frugalberry.com/tune-your-own-piano/

And it's not that difficult to even replace other parts if necessary:
http://frugalberry.com/replacing-piano-tuning-pins/

I've thought about it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

C
C
It's curious but I never ever experienced an electronic failure on a digital piano. I still own a 1987 one and the electronics work as good as they were the first day. I also used many DP's on many places (at music schools, friend's houses and the like) many of them ranging form 10 to 25 years old and their electronics work fine. Another story are the mechanics, they are much more prone to fail (in 5-10 years, I think it's normal to find one or two, or three, sticky keys in a DP).

Anyway the regular maintenance of an acoustic piano is for sure more expensive than occasional repairs of an electronic piano. I think it's crazy doing tuning and adjustment of an AP by oneself with the help of a few tutorials and software found on the Internet.

Regarding the main topic, I think the OP's piano's failure is just a bad luck issue. IMHO is an isolated case that may not be used as an argument for the acoustic vs digital preference.

Plinky, I knew I could count on you for an honest appraisal . . . cheers man! grin

"[Linked Image]"
PWANON Just a thought on piano tuning. You can get digital devices to take the guesswork out of this to a good degree. I used 12 tuning forks in the old days . . . .

I also had a pal (musician lol) who learned to plaster by undertaking such work on his neighbour`s walls . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission