Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2058967 - 04/03/13 11:58 PM New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome!
Charles Peck Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
I just uploaded a terrific recording of a very difficult five-movement piece I composed for solo piano. The video follows along with the score, so you can see what the sheet music looks like. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for listening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_tDTEptKSM

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2058988 - 04/04/13 01:16 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Welcome

All movements are very engaging and exciting pieces.
It would be safe to assume the absence of tonality. Exploring of the chord clusters, chromaticism, and sudden shift in time signature all contribute to the originality of the composition.

Reminded me of Debussy as I am currently working on a couple of his works.

#2059257 - 04/04/13 11:50 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Charles Peck Offline

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed the piece.

True the piece is not tonal in the strict sense of the word, but I would consider it post tonal. There are tonal centers, though they change frequently and there can be multiple at the same time.

#2059306 - 04/04/13 01:20 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For my money, terrific composing, too (agree that it was terrific pianism)! A wonderful presentation of the various coloristic possibilities of the modern grand piano. Focused, and chock full of poetic implications throughout. I particularly liked the jazz-ish rhythmic feel in a couple of them, without ever being jazzy in the explicit sense. I would program this one, or perhaps a couple of the movements, in a heartbeat! Thanks for sharing this!

#2059334 - 04/04/13 02:04 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Schubertslieder Offline

Thanks Charles as your correction is much appreciated.

For the first movement, Luminous Canopy, Serialism with retrograde, inversion, and retrograde-inversion comes to mind.

Personally, Midnight City, the last movement, will make an interesting piece to play.

#2059338 - 04/04/13 02:09 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Charles Peck Offline

Thank you very much for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated.

If you or other pianists would like to get a hold of the music, please do not hesitate to ask. My contact info is on my website here - http://charlespeckmusic.com/contact/

#2059601 - 04/05/13 04:54 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Originally Posted By: Charles Peck
I just uploaded a terrific recording of a very difficult five-movement piece I composed for solo piano.

Rather superlative claims in your thread title and above comment,
though took a listen and enjoyed your compostion.
lots of good stuff going on there.

#2059770 - 04/05/13 11:15 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Schubertslieder]
Charles Peck Offline

Thanks Schubertslieder, I am glad you are taking interest in some of the theory.

The first movement makes use of the set 0,1,3,5 (as does most of the piece in a less obsessive manner) if you are familiar with set theory. It doesn't use serialism particularly, because all of my decisions were musically influenced as opposed to guided by a numerical process. But yes, this set does appear in a number of transpositions, retrograde, inversion, and retrograde inversion. I'm glad that is palpable to a new listener.

If you are interested in performing the last or any of the movements, I'd be happy to send you a score. Just let me know. Thanks again for listening!

#2059773 - 04/05/13 11:19 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Dara]
Charles Peck Offline

I only meant that the pianist performed some difficult music well in the line "terrific recording". But I am glad you enjoyed the composition as well!

#2059880 - 04/05/13 02:59 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Cagarras Offline

Just amazing!

Congratulations!

#2059908 - 04/05/13 03:52 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Charles,

and so I just had a chance to listen to the whole 5 movements in peace... Without any kids on my back or various noises. It's 22:51 right now in Greece and I just finished it!

Marvellous!

I think that it's great music. While it's not tonal, in the triadic form of chords, it holds its roots in a general aspect of tonality. Favourite movement, by far the 5th! smile

Congratulations.

And since this is a real performance, he DID do a terrific job! congratulate him for me, please! smile

#2060047 - 04/05/13 09:20 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Nikolas]
Charles Peck Offline

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Nikolas. Good to know the piece is getting heard overseas! I think the fifth movement may be my favorite also. Thank you for listening.

#2060048 - 04/05/13 09:20 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Cagarras]
Charles Peck Offline

Thanks Cagarras. This is such a supportive forum!

#2062090 - 04/09/13 06:31 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Fantasic work Charles! I used to be somewhat of a regular on these forums, but haven't been around in quite some time. However, I heard your work and had to sign back in to tell you how much I enjoyed it - good stuff!

#2062414 - 04/10/13 02:43 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: 8ude]
Charles Peck Offline

Thanks so much 8ude, your comments are much appreciated! I am glad that I could share the piece with you.

#2064294 - 04/14/13 01:00 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Schubertslieder Offline

Hi Charles.

If I am reading it correctly, I can have the score for the 5th?

#2064311 - 04/14/13 01:38 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Schubertslieder Offline

I noticed how each title given to each movement seem to perfectly suit each other.

#2064774 - 04/15/13 02:40 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Schubertslieder]
Charles Peck Offline

Originally Posted By: Schubertslieder
Hi Charles.

If I am reading it correctly, I can have the score for the 5th?

Sure thing, I will send you a PM.

#2065226 - 04/15/13 11:05 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Schubertslieder Offline

Got it.

Currently working on fingering of Luminous Canopy. I finished playing the 1st page of Midnight City.

I really like the fact that I can see all the writings, articulations and dynamics, since they seem to contribute tremendously to the pieces. There is always a reason why some writings are there, which is what I like.

#2065611 - 04/16/13 03:32 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Schubertslieder]
Charles Peck Offline

Sounds good, let me know how the process of learning the piece goes for you. Difficult? Fun? Frustrating?

#2066040 - 04/17/13 02:05 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Schubertslieder Offline

So far so good.

With exception of all the polyrhythm, hemiola, different tuplets, not to mention the shifts in time signature, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, 5/4, and so on,...life is good.

I thought anacrusis but not so, after looking at the score, it was the time change.
My Shigeru piano takes enough beating from me but I still want to spend more time with it.

#2066650 - 04/18/13 04:38 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Schubertslieder]
Charles Peck Offline

Yeah, I like to throw a lot of wrenches into the groove. It helps keep it spontaneous, at least to my ears.

#2073787 - 04/29/13 09:09 PM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Charles Peck]
Ahmediy Offline

Terrific indeed!
Bookmarked for further listening.

#2078701 - 05/07/13 08:03 AM Re: New virtuosic work for solo piano, feedback welcome! [Re: Ahmediy]
Charles Peck Offline

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking of trading up to a baby grand...
by Anne H
36 minutes 13 seconds ago
Piano Lock Key -> what is it used for ?
by angga888
Today at 12:02 AM
Yurmauer Piano
by PhilipInChina
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Books to Learn Notes for Teenagers?
by pianoheart
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Jim Laabs Music - my experience buying a grand sight-unseen
by ernani
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
Who's Online
72 registered (Anne H, AZNpiano, alberto, angga888, 0987654321, 17 invisible), 1532 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158629 Topics
2329771 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission