Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2060019 - 04/05/13 07:55 PM First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia
Joe K. Offline

Hello all,

So...for the past week I've been torn between which keyboard to buy.

I have the option to buy the Privia PX-150 keyboard(new, no pedals), for $440, or to buy the Korg SP-250(new, with its one pedal), for approximately the same price.

I have demo'ed both, and found myself slightly favoring the Korg SP-250 in playing, but liked the PX-150's sound, and definitely the advanced pedals over the Korg SP-250.

The PX-150 also had a slightly heavier feel to the keys, which may be better in replicating an acoustic's feel better than the Korg, although probably due to lack of discipline I favor easier playing keys.

My other concern is that the Korg is an older model, and nearly discontinued, whereas the Privia is 2012-2013.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these.

Any last minute insight, or maybe a different alternative altogether?

My budget is approximately $500-$600

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2060031 - 04/05/13 08:31 PM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: Joe K.]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I assume you already tried the Yamaha in that range. I guess that would be the P105. I played it and was pretty impressed. It's a lot better than its predecessor (that's what people say about the PX150 too). Both companies have really upped their game in that range.

#2060037 - 04/05/13 08:54 PM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: gvfarns]
Thomas Williams Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
It really comes down to preference, and weighing pros and cons. If it means anything, I actually chose the SP-250 precisely because of the touch - it feels a little more secure to me than the Casio models. I would have chosen a different model for the purpose of having all three pedals (the SP-250 doesn't even have the option of adding the other pedals), because I'm a classical pianist and very frequently use the soft and sostenuto pedals in performance. However, I chose the model I did with the reasoning that any gig for which I have to supply my own keyboard probably won't involve music that demands those pedals (or put another way, any time I am performing music that demands that, I'll probably be playing on a grand anyway). I can't tell you which one your should choose, but if you can figure out what your priorities are, make your decision based on them. And, of course, try the Yamaha P105 as well to see what you think. (My own order of preference was Korg SP-250 > Yamaha P-105 > Casio PX-150.)

#2060044 - 04/05/13 09:12 PM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: Joe K.]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Depending on your needs, either could be a better choice. Between those two, I would go with the casio (though nothing is wrong with the korg if you find it speaks to you more). As you say, the casio is newer, and it has a more modern sound engine. Also, The korg only has 60 notes of polyphony, where the casio has 128 notes of polyphony. Another serious difference is that the casio is almost half the weight of the korg. At 42 lb, the korg isn't THAT heavy, but it's certainly going to be harder to lug around if you desire any portability in your keyboard. Also, the Casio has the ability to split the keyboard, something I think that the korg lacks (so you could have, for example, a bass sound in your left hand and piano in your right). You will possibly need to buy a pedal for the casio (it ships with a foot switch instead of a real pedal, which kind of sucks).

The advantages of the korg are that it has more on board sounds and it has dedicated 1/4" line outs that you can connect to external speakers or a PA system.

One other major difference is the connectivity. The Korg Has the traditional MIDI in and out connections for interfacing with other gear, where the casio only has USB connections. So if you want to connect your keyboard to a computer, the casio is probably the better way to go. If you want to connect it to other midi gear (other keyboards, sound modules, etc..) then the korg might be a better choice.

Warm Regards

#2060051 - 04/05/13 09:28 PM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: Joe K.]
mitzysman Offline

both casio and korg are nice - i think i like the tone better on the korg -but the feel on the casio. Casio is not heavy as my yamaha piano and I think you would get used to the feel.

I like the yamaha p105 better - sounds awesome - it's not a very heavy weight feel. those are about your only 3 options i can think of.

#2060300 - 04/06/13 10:56 AM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: Joe K.]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I have the PX-150. $440 is a very good price for a new unit, even adding $20 for a pedal ($600 is the typical street price). So the price, and the newness of the unit, would make me vote for the Casio.

#2060831 - 04/07/13 03:45 PM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: Joe K.]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't my information correct that the PX150 will run on batteries?
That is a plus. Take it outside somewhere private and practice. Or you can take it outside easily and play for some of the biggest fans. In my case; Buffalo. smile

I do think the third sensor is a benefit. I notice the lack of it on my older Casio when using IvoryII.

#2060840 - 04/07/13 04:05 PM Re: First Digital Keyboard Purchase...Korg SP 250 Vs. Privia [Re: Joe K.]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
rnaple, I don't think the PX150 can run on batteries. You may be thinking about the new casio PX5S which will run on batteries.

Warm Regards.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
22 minutes 33 seconds ago
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
24 minutes 51 seconds ago
height of piano bench
by EBB
28 minutes 39 seconds ago
Tuning a 1977 Yamaha G2-Koval EQ/Koval Avg, Ipad 2 Verituner
by Grandpianoman
Today at 06:41 PM
Darrell Fandrich is Well
by chernobieff
Today at 06:04 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (accordeur, bennevis, Beth_Frances, anotherscott, 35 invisible), 1182 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157677 Topics
2315997 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission