2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2060544 04/06/13 10:05 PM
D
Damon Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D
..learned a classical piece, of intermediate or higher difficulty, entirely by ear? For the record, I haven't but I'm thinking about doing it for fun.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maple Leaf Rag (if it counts). This was before I could read music.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sorta kinda, but not completely and not well -- and it's not really a classical piece.

It was how I first 'learned' Horowitz's "Stars and Stripes." I was only able to do about the first half of it, and I wasn't really "doing" even that. But I had no other way to do it, because no score was available -- until it was. smile

....I'm thinking about doing it for fun.

I think it would be a neat exercise -- even with a piece below "intermediate." While I've never done it, I can imagine that I'd make mistakes even with many simple pieces, because with just about every great composer's piece I learn, there are places where I'm consciously like "hey, I never would have known those were the notes" (especially with inner voices and stuff like an added 6th).

D
Damon Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C

....I'm thinking about doing it for fun.

I think it would be a neat exercise -- even with a piece below "intermediate."

One of the Chopin preludes would make a good candidate, plenty of people here to point out the mistakes. smile

D
Damon Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JoelW

Not what I had in mind, but I suppose it counts. I think you posted a recording of it, didn't you? Have you since looked at the sheet music?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Damon
..learned a classical piece, of intermediate or higher difficulty, entirely by ear?

No. But plenty of pop songs and movie scores! Some years ago I totally fell in love with the opening flourish of Korngold's 'Kings Row', and simply had to work that out at the piano.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

Not what I had in mind, but I suppose it counts. I think you posted a recording of it, didn't you? Have you since looked at the sheet music?

No actually I haven't. I don't really play ragtime anymore, but I still acknowledge Scott Joplin's genius. I don't think enough classical listeners give him proper credit.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
..learned a classical piece, of intermediate or higher difficulty, entirely by ear? For the record, I haven't but I'm thinking about doing it for fun.

Not classical piano pieces, but I sometimes play classical orchestra pieces on the piano, by ear. Because there I can choose what notes to leave out, and it does not always sound like the original.

Examples: Smetana's "Moldau", Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony".

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I was really smitten with the Medtner Second Concerto the first time I heard it, and I spent some time working it out by ear while I was waiting for the score on order from Zimerman in Germany. The actual piano part turned out to be very different than the way I imagined it!

D
Damon Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan
..learned a classical piece, of intermediate or higher difficulty, entirely by ear?

No. But plenty of pop songs and movie scores! Some years ago I totally fell in love with the opening flourish of Korngold's 'Kings Row', and simply had to work that out at the piano.

I figured I might see a few answers like this. I play a lot of classic rock, professionally, and learning it by ear is usually the most accurate method. I've purchased a couple of those "note for note" books by Hal Leonard and they aren't note for note, and they don't usually have the work I'm after.
I'm a little surprised with myself that I haven't yet tried it with something classical. I imagine making some subtle omissions and wondering if I would be caught. I guess it mostly depends on the popularity of the piece.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I figured I might see a few answers like this.

Well perhaps not very surprising, Damon. Elderly classical works are available on IMSLP, and later, copyrighted classical works would probably be beyond my modest abilities to learn by ear.

You will love this: when I was about 12, my mother introduced me to Light My Fire, it certainly lit MY fire, and I worked it out at the piano in about 12 minutes.

The day before, I learned Petula Clark's Downtown. Helps to have a mum who lived through the era, albeit on the tail end. But the only thing I could figure out at the piano on After Bathing at Baxter's was 'rejoyce'. The rest of the album was too sophisticated, and to this day, I think it one of the greatest albums ever recorded, leagues ahead of what anyone else -including the Fab Four- were doing at the time.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've always thought that being able to play ragtime and the classics would cover all the bases....or should I have said basis?

rada

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Anyone with a good ear could likely pick out a simple Chopin nocturne with time, but I'd really like to see someone pick out his first scherzo, or the coda to the fourth ballade.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I am very good at playing by ear, but I've never done a note-for-note classical work.
I do think that good aural skills/playing by ear is a vital skill for a well-rounded musician, just like sight-reading well is.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I used to have fun with this before I started studying (and reading) music. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Mozart has. (He famously learned Gregorio Allegri's Miserere, the setting to music of the fiftieth psalm, just by listening to it in the Sistine Chapel, and he copied it down from memory when he returned home). But I don't think this is what you had in mind?

Last edited by Frankni; 04/08/13 11:47 PM.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185, Sauter Omega 220
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My party piece off-the-cuff is playing the first two measures of the Moonlight ... at which point I strategically break off with the audience baying for more ... but that’s all they get ... as I shut the lid of the piano ...and get myself a drink (brandy and soda) .

They’ll never discover that I don’t know the rest.

Sorry about that chaps ... but you asked for it.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Picking things up by ear is really great for the learning process, as long as you pick pieces that aren't beyond your capacities. About ten years ago or so I was so fond of Keith Jarrett's improvisations that I decided to transcribe some - I obviously picked a slower one, and figured that if you start by separating all of the different layers - bass line, chords, melody - and focus on just one at a time, you can get a lot of stuff done. Initially, if you try grasping everything at once, you easily become overloaded with information. Separating things in the beginning, until you become more fluent, is the way to go, I think.

But I haven't done much of this lately - tried a bit with some Chopin nocturnes that I've mostly just listened to...

D
Damon Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Frankni

Mozart has. (He famously learned Gregorio Allegri's Miserere, the setting to music of the fiftieth psalm, just by listening to it in the Sistine Chapel, and he copied it down from memory when he returned home). But I don't think this is what you had in mind?

Well no, because he is dead and not a member of this forum. smile

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Frankni

Well no, because he is dead and not a member of this forum. smile

Mozart....dead????? sick

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission