Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (AZNpiano, alfredo capurso, augustm, AZ_Astro, Azeyic, 16 invisible), 1010 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 39 of 39 < 1 2 37 38 39
Topic Options
#2379774 - 01/29/15 07:18 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
David51 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Appointed music director of my Church in January 2014 because I sang the loudest not because I knew much about music wink. My only talent must of come from my sons who both have BM and MM in piano performance. I started voice lessons in February 2014 and then piano lessons in August 2014. We purchased a Kawai CN34 DP in November 2014 (until then I was playing on a low end Casio unweighted keyboard which I bought new for $80). My younger son has been teaching me piano over the Internet since early December and he will start teaching me voice next week (the previous teacher was a rock and roll guy who wanted me to sing too high in pitch and too loud for my comfort -- and an ENT doctor told me I need to change teachers).

I am also taking online music theory classes from St. Petersburg college for credit (and for free because of my age and residence in Florida). I much enjoy learning about music, singing and playing piano and look forward to many more years of lessons.

Started piano lessons in August 2014 at age 63 and taught by my younger son.
Kawai CN34, Pianoteq 5 using mostly the D4 Vintage
Working on "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 1
Music Theory student at St. Petersburg College

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2380394 - 01/31/15 10:28 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Agfinguy Offline

Loc: Florida
here I go

been playing for 30 days! yes 30 days
married 30 years.. still madly in love
two kids, twins.. they moved out.. about time!
grand daughter due ANY day now.. can't wait
Love to Boat.. have a 22 foot grady white.. (The other Woman)
live in Florida near gainesville.. go gator and no I didn't go to UF (Fan by default)
and I find the Piano so nice .. I look forward my quality time with my out of tune upright kimble.

and I like wine!

Alfreds Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
Started 1 Jan 2015
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240

#2380846 - 02/01/15 10:48 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Wow, so many new members thumb

fluffy1 - Welcome to PianoWorld, fluffy! You're in good company here. Don't worry about "your" level, the important is to enjoy the journey.

Moonsh1ne - Welcome to PianoWorld! Looking forward to read more about your progress!

David51 - Wow, a family of musicianas? That's great, David. Welcome to PianoWorld!

Agfinguy - All the best for your grand daughter, and welcome to PianoWorld!

Youtube channel | Box MP3 records

Self-taught since Dec2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2381611 - 02/03/15 12:53 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Groove On Offline

Hi,

Returning adult, after 20 years. My mother finally got the 1901 restored Steinway Grand she always wanted so I "inherited" her old broke-down Hardman-Peck upright for practice.

Self-learning most everything from Music Theory to Sight-Reading with a wealth of books and iPad apps to get going. A piano teacher to help me with "playing" (dynamics, articulation, fingering, musicality etc.)

My goals are to perform solo concerts and "gig" in a band!

The only sad thing is I miss my old teacher from my teenage years. He is the one that instilled this love of the piano in me, despite me being a terrible rebellious teenage student. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago, but his legacy remains!

#2381621 - 02/03/15 01:23 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
welcome the forum Groove On, yes teachers can be very significant and unfortunate we don't always appreciate them at the time.

#2381679 - 02/03/15 06:39 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Groove On, welcome to PianoWorld. What kind of music do you like to play?
Oh, looking forward to read more about your progress. And band smile

#2381728 - 02/03/15 08:15 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Groove On Offline

Thank you for the welcomes!

I like playing traditional classical and american classics like Copland, Bernstein, Gershwin. For gigging though, I think it will be a lot of pop, ballads, rock and latin music.

And a I love playing an in-tune acoustic piano over anything else, especially the special ones that have that beautiful "singing" tone in every note.

#2395380 - 03/08/15 01:04 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
skyarmor Offline

Loc: Vietnam
Hi everyone,
My name is Hai, 18 years old.
I started 12 months ago and have been practicing on a Yamaha P105 since.
I've always had a busy schedule so ended up not practicing frequently enough.
Currently not far from a completely beginner after a whole year, how sad frown

It's finally time to give up excuses to learn the piano seriously!
My goal is to play my favorite songs (that should feel real good!) and maybe share those covers. I mostly listen to Classic Rock, a crazy Queen fan \m/
Also been working hard on game projects so it would be amazing if I could, one day, compose soundtracks for the games.

I want to be self-taught.
Yet I'm still confused about how to practice effectively right now.
There are so many online courses and books to choose from, I'm so lost.
So...Any tips?

P/S: This is such a nice and friendly community, rock on guys \m/

#2395556 - 03/08/15 09:26 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: skyarmor]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Originally Posted By skyarmor
Hi everyone,
My name is Hai, 18 years old.
I started 12 months ago and have been practicing on a Yamaha P105 since.
I've always had a busy schedule so ended up not practicing frequently enough.
Currently not far from a completely beginner after a whole year, how sad frown

It's finally time to give up excuses to learn the piano seriously!
My goal is to play my favorite songs (that should feel real good!) and maybe share those covers. I mostly listen to Classic Rock, a crazy Queen fan \m/
Also been working hard on game projects so it would be amazing if I could, one day, compose soundtracks for the games.

I want to be self-taught.
Yet I'm still confused about how to practice effectively right now.
There are so many online courses and books to choose from, I'm so lost.
So...Any tips?

P/S: This is such a nice and friendly community, rock on guys \m/

Hey Skyarmor, welcome aboard! Do you want to learn how to sight read or play by ear?

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2395567 - 03/08/15 10:00 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
_silvia_ Offline

Loc: Southeast PA, USA
Hello! My name is Silvia, I am 40 and new to the piano. I bought a digital piano and started lessons with a wonderful teacher in February. Every minute I can steal I use to practice and enjoy the music I can make. It is very, very simple now, but even so I love it.

I took violin lessons for about six months, but all the odds were against that endeavor. I have a 3-year old and a 2-month old and I work full time so I have little choice when I can practice. The violin was physically strenuous and frustrating for me too often. And my violin teacher was located too far.

I love classical music and I reasoned that if I started learning to play the piano at my age, I could look forward to both the journey and the skill I would have in 10-15 years. I don't watch television but I used to spend a good while on mothering forums. Cutting back on that gave me some free time to practice with headphones. Last but not least, the spirit of this community and the marvelous dedication of adult beginners here convinced me to take the plunge.

Thank you all for the inspiration!

#2395595 - 03/08/15 11:02 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: _silvia_]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By _silvia_

I love classical music and I reasoned that if I started learning to play the piano at my age, I could look forward to both the journey and the skill I would have in 10-15 years.

Hi Silvia and welcome! This attitude is going to take you far, too many adults want "instant" results and get frustrated when they're not as good as they "should be". Learning to play is a journey of inches but those inches do indeed add up and taking the long view will go a long way toward letting you be objective about your progress.

I'm also a classical music lover, as are many here and the wealth of literature available at all levels of ability is one of the great joys of taking up the piano as an adult. There are always new challenges but at the same time there are an enormous number of pieces that are accessible to beginners.

Welcome again and enjoy your time here.

#2395621 - 03/09/15 01:08 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome skyarmor and silvia.

skyarmor, I think it is easy to feel lost at the start as it does feel like an assault on the senses with all this new and sometimes conflicting or confusing information. A popular book to start with is the Alfred Adult All In One Course and there are threads on this forum for all three books. You may get a better response if you post a question directly to the forum.

My best advice to anyone is not to go to far to soon as the extra work can easily take a lot of the enjoyment away from the purpose of just having fun.

silvia it's a slippery slope, first step is cutting back time on other fourms, the next it's getting a nanny so you can practice laugh........but it's worth it.

#2395622 - 03/09/15 01:14 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Rerun]
skyarmor Offline

Loc: Vietnam
Originally Posted By Rerun
Hey Skyarmor, welcome aboard! Do you want to learn how to sight read or play by ear?

Thank you for the welcome smile
I'd like to try both approaches at the time being.
Playing by ear seems extremely fun.
But isn't sight reading more formal and helpful (I guess) to beginners?

Originally Posted By earlofmar
Welcome skyarmor and silvia.

skyarmor, I think it is easy to feel lost at the start as it does feel like an assault on the senses with all this new and sometimes conflicting or confusing information. A popular book to start with is the Alfred Adult All In One Course and there are threads on this forum for all three books. You may get a better response if you post a question directly to the forum.

My best advice to anyone is not to go to far to soon as the extra work can easily take a lot of the enjoyment away from the purpose of just having fun.

silvia it's a slippery slope, first step is cutting back time on other fourms, the next it's getting a nanny so you can practice laugh........but it's worth it.

Thank you for the warm welcome and advises. I'd definitely look for the book smile

Edited by skyarmor (03/09/15 01:16 AM)

#2395797 - 03/09/15 10:57 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: skyarmor]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

Quote:
Thank you for the welcome smile
I'd like to try both approaches at the time being.
Playing by ear seems extremely fun.
But isn't sight reading more formal and helpful (I guess) to beginners?

Yep, more formal for sure. I know some people who can play the heck out a piano in 10 years by sight reading, and I know some who can play the heck out of a piano in 10 months using their ears. You're a young guy so take your pick ... I'm an old guy, it was a no-brainer. grin

If you're gonna play by ear too, set aside the sheet music and use your ears and fingers only... start with the easiest tunes you can sing and listen for the chord changes. I'll PM you in a minute.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2395953 - 03/09/15 04:24 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
George Gk Offline

Loc: Greece
Better late than ever, already posted some ...

I am George, i live in Greece.
I am a computer freak......i made the mistake to make my hobby profession and now i can't get away from monitors (but keys did it).
I like 2 wheels in general (MTB,sport touring motorcycles).I like computer games also , used to play more that 3 hours/day (keys took most of it now).

I listen to music all my life (almost 44 now,don't watch TV unless there is a good movie), i can remember my self to listen to radio till late at night during childhood (and up to present) . I like too many kinds of music, u name it,from Italodisco to power metal . Don't like classical much , only play it if i have to (exercises) .
I 've thrown my self at the other side of music, almost my accident.

Long story sort,some two years before, my daughter wanted to learn guitar.Daughter quitted some one year later , i still struggle.

The moment we were looking guitars at the music instruments shop, i remembered that i always liked keys but never tried.
So i got a midi keyboard and started self learning (through books).
First three months were hard but i liked it much so i found a teacher (self learning was dead end for me) and got my first Yamaha MM6 as a replacement to my m-audio oxygen.I though i wanted a stand alone instrument that time.
After some 6 months i got my digital piano (Yamaha P105),mainly because i liked blues alot and teacher was very persuasive about the difference on expression hammer keys have at it.
I get better day by day, amazed how far i 've gone (can't believe i can do this).i enjoy everything, even the exercises.
i know that it is going to B a long way.As soon as i see progress it's fine.

I have a song i like alot.As soon as i can play the song correct i will know that i have reached my goal (or just entered the magical world of music)
It Was too fast for me, still is (even RH).
But from time to time i test my progress on it.
When i started with teacher, couldn't even find the cords.
Now time , i can do cover at many parts (at least RH) , i have issues with the solo Eddie plays .......

Edited by George Gk (03/09/15 05:12 PM)

#2396646 - 03/11/15 05:17 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

skyarmor - Welcome to PianoWorld!
A tip? Don't forget to enjoy you playing. As a self-taught player, I think this is one of the most important things I've learned so far. Don't forget you'll be "alone" most of the time struggling for hours/days just to understand and play a piece (or a session!) so it's important to have some moments of joy even with the easiest pieces you can play.

_silvia_ - Welcomoe to PianoWorld!
"Every minute I can steal I use to practice and enjoy the music I can make." - Way to go! You're in the right path Silvia. Looking forward to read more about your progress.

George Gk - Welcome to PianoWorld!
Your story it's quite similar to mine... IT as a hobby and latter as a job - I made the same mistake smile ). But, I start playing piano without a teacher and... so far so good. I hope you can develop your playing and I'll look forward to read more about your progress.

#2398239 - 03/15/15 02:24 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
TheKing Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hello all,

I've just recently joined Pianoworld and have had my detailed introduction here, but I just wanted to add a bit more about myself in this thread.

I'm in my mid thirties now and work in Telecom / IT. Having had the good fortune visiting parts of the world, I'm now living in living in Singapore with my family however I'm originally from India. I'm married and have a 6 year old boy who is also going to Piano classes with me! I like cycling and badminton, the only form of fitness activities I undertake regularly!

I just started going to piano classes from this month. I'm a right handed person so I'm finding it really challenging to coordinate the left and right hand at the same time, but it's interesting! I think this is the right time for me to take up piano lessons since I've "mellowed" down from my younger years when I swooped in and out of multiple hobbies. And I fully realise that this is a journey and the results will not be instant but I find that more engaging and meaningful so look forward to many years of practice and enjoyment!

Thanks to those who have extended such a warm welcome to a beginner!

Page 39 of 39 < 1 2 37 38 39

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
72 BPM is too fast for Bach's Goldberg Variations Aria
by pianoman9
Today at 02:30 AM
Royal conservatory certificates, are they worth the hassle?
by YadielOmar
Today at 12:43 AM
Vince Grantano
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
A Fun Voice - "Toy Piano"
by McBuster
Yesterday at 09:23 PM
Setting an aural stretch to an ETD
by Matias Palou
Yesterday at 09:00 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,662 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,736 Topics
2,388,851 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission