Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (AZ_Astro, Auntie Lynn, Anticlock, babybearyan, AllanH, 26 invisible), 1279 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 40 of 40 < 1 2 38 39 40
Topic Options
#2418437 - 05/08/15 06:22 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
welcome to the forum pianist007 wish I had started a 32 which I think is a great age to start. Much more likely to find the pinao fulfilling although frustrating also, but stick with it through the years.

Yes learning to read quickly is the key even although it may seem insurmountable at the moment However being able to copy either from your teacher or from youtube is also important and sounds like you have a good ear which will also come in handy.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2418438 - 05/08/15 06:39 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
BenS Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I am 63 years old and live in Minnesota. Like many, I took piano lessons for a few years as a kid, but then dropped it for a long time. About thirty-some years ago, I decided that I wanted to learn and bought an old upright refurbished piano and began to taught myself to play. I was making some progress, I believe, but then because of a variety of things I gradually stopped playing. A couple of other times during the intervening years, I made some brief attempts. I am retired now and have decided to take advantage of my free time to really see where I can go with it. I know O that many recommend a teacher, but I really just want to pace myself. I've been at it for about 6 weeks now and making slow progress (I guess), but still struggling a lot. I realize that there are many parts of it that are much harder for me than they were years ago. Basically, trying to do two different things with your two hands is harder for older adults. But I am having lots of fun and practicing at least a couple of hours every day.

Recently, I took a great course on Classical Music on Coursera, which has really got me into classical music, which is what I play almost exclusively now. In particular, I have developed a real passion for Beethoven and listen to him constantly. I am really glad that I found this forum because after just a couple of days here, I have already seen others talking about the very same issues that I am dealing with. Misery, indeed, loves company :-)

#2418446 - 05/08/15 07:16 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Welcome BenS, pacing yourself is sometimes learned over many years of experience and I think that can be beneficial. So many of the younger kids just want to blast their way through the levels straight to the most difficult stuff.

I had a similar experience with classical music in a sense. Before taking up piano I could not stand to listen to a solo piano work but now I understand the difficulty more I am much more receptive.

Good luck with your journey.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2418465 - 05/08/15 08:34 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: pianist007]
Whizbang Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By pianist007
Does this sound familiar? Do you agree?

Reading's worth it.

It's not the be all and end all. It's not an easy skill. But it's very handy.

#2418478 - 05/08/15 10:07 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Bagle Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi everyone,

My name is Jamie. I am 32 years old and just started my piano lessons 4 months ago. I've always wanted to learn piano since I was 5 years old. When we were in kindergarten(Taiwan), kids who took piano lessons would skip nap time to learn how to play piano. I was always the one who asked permission to go to the bathroom but actually stood behind the door and listened to these kids and teachers playing piano. Now with a stable income and time, I finally can afford to learn and spend time to develop my hobby laugh

I started with a digital piano and luckily my aunt sold me her 1992 Baldwin console with a low price few weeks ago. I enjoy every single minute of practicing.

I am a physical therapist assistant. After a few piano lessons, I started to realize how weak my fingers are and probably need to give myself some therapy for strengthening of the fingers.

It's very encouraging to find this forum and know there are many adult learners out there.

#2418503 - 05/09/15 12:24 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

welcome to the forum Bagle
your fingers will begin to feel stronger as you advance naturally. But you may decide to do some additional exercises for finger independence, in particular the fourth and fifth fingers.

There has been a lot written here on the forum about weak fingers so worth while to do some research by reading old posts.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2423394 - 05/22/15 02:17 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
grace_note Online   content

Loc: California, USA
I am just joining the forum. My story: I grew up with a piano, a violin, and a clarinet in the house. The only instrument that gave me instant gratification (in terms of a musical sound smile ) was the piano! My sister and I had the John Thompson books (if anyone remembers those) and we got through them. My mom was an accompanist for the church choir when she was a teenager, but she was self taught and really only knew chords in the left, some melody in the right. I can tell you, being the self taught daughter asking a self taught mother for piano advice is not the best recipe for success! I did learn to read music very well, and I think because that was a form of play to me as kid, I could instantly read music, when I picked it up 45 years later. Besides some really basic dynamics, that's about it. I just started playing again in earnest 4 months ago. I have a teacher...yeah! We've agreed that I'm kinda sorta a level 3 person trapped in a level 1 body. I need to catch up my technical skills (obviously). I'm almost through the Alfred's adult course #1. I'm crazy into learning and have used YouTube videos (Josh Wright is an awesome teacher, and the Piano Magazine series), Wikipedia (you know they have a great entry under "Tempo" that tells you the metronome count for every designation (moderato, allegro, presto, etc?). That was invaluable. Coursera. Whoa! Find! And this forum! Another find! Always happy to share what I've found. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. smile

#2423419 - 05/22/15 05:39 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

welcome grace_note (what a great name). You can make great progress in a single year with a good teacher and diligent practice so it won't be long before you are a level 6 trapped in a level 3 body smirk

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2423638 - 05/22/15 05:30 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: grace_note]
Albunea Offline

Loc: Spain
Originally Posted By grace_note
My sister and I had the John Thompson books (if anyone remembers those) and we got through them.

I've bought one today!

#2424452 - 05/24/15 09:25 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Venividivici Online   content

Loc: Sweden
Hello everyone. I just joined the site yesterday and already I've found it to be a truly nice forum. =)

I'm a 21 year old Swedish student of national economics. Although I'm starting to wish I had studied music, as it is slightly more interesting.
Aside from the playing the piano, which I normally do many hours per day, I'm a huge fan of classical music.
I think it all started when I was young and playing certain video games, in particular Medal Of Honor Allied Assault. That game had an amazing score by Michael Giacchino, if you haven't heard any of it, I suggest you look it up. =)

Currently, I mostly listen to Brahms, Beethoven, Vivaldi and Chopin. I do listen to a lot of other music too though, anything from Queen, Iron Maiden, Rammstein etc to Lady gagy and the likes. Can't help but to love Red Army Choir songs either. smile

I'm also a major fan of history, politics, economics and so forth.

I'm sure I'll have a great time here and I hope everyone else does too.

#2424456 - 05/24/15 09:38 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Venividivici]
grace_note Online   content

Loc: California, USA
Hello Venividivici! I am also new here, but I'm enjoying the forum, and have found a lot of useful information. I like Imagine Dragons myself, but classical music is so fun to listen to, and soon to play, I hope, even if it's just simple pieces. Music IS a lot more interesting than economics, but a lot harder to make a living from, I imagine. Welcome!

#2425184 - 05/26/15 07:20 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
UnderConstruction Online   content

Hi all, I have been browsing the forum for a month or so now, and what an interesting forum! Anyway, time to introduce myself. Rather long and expensive story! :-)

I am 35 years old, live in Australia, work with computers all day long. I took 2.5 years of lessons as a child about 25 years ago and got to about AMEB grade 6, but gave it up. Hadn't touched a piano until December last year, when visiting my parent's place, for some reason I decided to sit down in front of their piano (yamaha GH1 from the late 80's). To my own surprise, I learnt 1 page of a piece from an AMEB grade 3 book in about 30 minutes. Even more of a surprise was how much I was absorbed by the experience to playing the piano and making some sound from it again.

Being a bit of a pro-technology guy, I did some very quick online research and read at a few places about how Casio's were making good and cheap digital pianos. I thought going for a cheaper one would be best because really didn't know how long this new hobbby would stick. My criteria were simple, 88-keys, weighted keyboard. That weekend, I found a place locally here that had as Celviano AP-450 in stock, tried it out (along with a bunch of others at around the same price point or lower), and bought it.

For about a month, I started playing very simple scales and learnt I Giorni by Einauldi, Mozart's Turkish March, Comptine D' un Autre Ete Amelie. While these were relatively uncomplicated songs, it did help get my fingers working again. When I went to my parent's place again, I found that I could hardly play any of these pieces because the weight of the keys were so much heavier!

So back to the store that weekend, and tried out a few more digital pianos, with the goal of finding something that has a heavier touch. Came out of the store by trading up the Casio to a Yamaha CLP-535. The sound was ok, but the touch weight was much more similar to that of the average grand piano. The whole exercise costed me about $1000 extra compared to if I had just bought the CLP-535 first time around.

So happily I went about more playing, also discovered that I could enhance the sound of the piano with software pianos. Brilliant!

Fast forward another 4 months... yes, more money about to be spent! In the mean time, got a bit more ambitious and started learning stuff that I hear sometimes on the radio. Again happily surprised myself that I could actually play the notes and make it "somewhat resemble" the music for Liebestraum 3, Chopin Valse Op 64 no 2, Moonlight mv 1, 2, 3. It does seem though that every time I go sit down on my parent's GH1, it eats into my bank account. Even though the GH1 was very out of tune and does sound like a tin can, there was that unmistakeable "presence" and touch of a real grand. Tried many grands at different shops, and it just so happens that a used yamaha GC1 from 2007 came up for private sale. It was in great condition, sounded wonderful, touch was very precise, so out goes more money and in comes a wonderful Yamaha GC1!

Thats my long and very expensive story, but very happy "now" (less so on the bank account department)!

So currently working on Clair de lune, thinking about maybe trying the Revolutionary etude... Haven't quite decided whether I want to give my left hand that much pain yet.

Generally, not quite performance ready (heaps of fumbles and mistakes), but maybe one day I might be brave enough to join one of the Recitals. Anyway, having loads of fun doing it and browsing these forums.

Edited by UnderConstruction (05/26/15 08:42 PM)

#2425238 - 05/26/15 10:10 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nice story UnderConstuction and a cautionary tale not to go too cheap on the first piano.

XXXVIII-9-XXX

#2425331 - 05/27/15 05:27 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Wow, so many new members thumb

Welcome to PianoWorld pianostu, pianist007, BenS, Bagle, grace_note, Venividivici and UnderConstruction!!!!
Looking forward to read more from you!

Youtube channel | Box MP3 records

Self-taught since Dec2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2425341 - 05/27/15 06:04 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
UnderConstruction Online   content

Thanks earlofmar and CarlosCC. Its good to know of such a community online.

earlofmar: indeed, it is a cautionary tale, the lesson I learnt from it is to bring someone who already plays the piano to go piano shopping that very first time! Over the last few months, I seemed to have gotten a lot of subtle feel back in my fingers and developed my ear a little bit more, but certainly didn't have that when I went shopping the first time for the Casio.

Page 40 of 40 < 1 2 38 39 40

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can you identify this baby grand?
by pevo
33 minutes 35 seconds ago
Yamaha C7 with Player Piano system
by Cflux
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Is it "Live" or is it.......
by piano_primo_1
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
German Piano
by Kevan_man
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
Why the difference in sound-NY vs Hamburg Steinway
by DanS
Yesterday at 09:42 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,456 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,418 Topics
2,411,852 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission