Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (Andriuska, accordeur, 5pence, Anne Francis, Alexander Borro, 24 invisible), 1575 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 45 of 45 < 1 2 43 44 45
Topic Options
#2588374 - 11/18/16 06:58 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
krumpetina Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 11/18/16
Posts: 11
Loc: Texas / South Carolina
Hi All -

I'm janet, from Texas and South Carolina. Probably a bit more old school than most, rounding out at 59. I took piano as a small kid, age 7-10. I recently picked things up again about 2 years ago.

I often pick pieces beyond my capabilities - which totally frustrates me. I do not aspire to be anything more than a good intermediate player, able to look at something and sight read through it without sounding like an idiot. I can do the sight reading part...but i am still working on the not sounding like an idiot part.

Seriously though, I enjoy playing and am currently working on the following:

Once Upon a December
Saving Mr. Banks
Feed the Birds
Moonlight Sonata
Summer of 42
and just picked up a sheet of Mary Did you Know.

That's about it...
_________________________
There's always time to learn something new.

Top
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2588763 - 11/20/16 12:44 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 12/06/09
Posts: 2017
Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hello krumpetina and welcome to PianoWorld.
You're in good company here and I'd love to listen some of you works soon - even the Mary Did you Know... wink
_________________________

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Top
#2589834 - 11/24/16 10:05 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
metaresolve Offline
Full Member

Registered: 11/24/16
Posts: 67
Loc: Washington, DC
Hi. I just made a small thread introducing myself but I also wanted to get myself in here too.

I took lessons from age 6-21. Played a little bit after graduating college but fell out of it. Now I'm 39 and work in political data. Honestly, I'm looking for some release that I used to get when practicing for hours. While I was "good" growing up, I was very immature in my approach and expressions. I'm curious how ~20 years of experience might come through.

I am also curious if I can beat a couple of pieces that defeated me: Rachmaninoff Prelude in G minor, Chopin Scherzo Op 39, no 3 in C# minor. That Chopin, I want it. My piano teacher picked it for me when I was a senior in college for the closing piece of my recital and I didn't practice it enough. Which is a shame because she picked it so she knew I could do it. Again, immature.

I'm looking forward to listening to the recitals and learning about everyone.

meta
_________________________
meta
~~~
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-930
~~~
Currently working on:
- J.S. Bach: Invention #8 in F major
- J.S. Bach: WTCI Prelude #9 in E major
- Chopin: Waltz, Op 70 No 1 in G-flat major

Analyzing:
- Haydn: Sonata No. 44 in G minor

Top
#2589844 - 11/24/16 11:24 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 03/21/13
Posts: 2915
Loc: Australia
welcome to the forum metaresolve. It will indeed be interesting how your life experience effects your return to piano.
_________________________
Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

Top
#2593722 - 12/10/16 06:01 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
ICW Online   content
Full Member

Registered: 12/10/16
Posts: 46
Cheers. I'm 28. Music has been my whole (inner) life for 15 years. It is the language that my deepest heart speaks. Metaphorically-speaking, it's like the voice of God, to me. The things it does - images, colours, memories, hopes, dreams - are not possible to explain in words.

I have wanted to receive piano lessons for all my life, and especially for 10 years now, but came from a poor family and never had the time or money. I've studied harmony as best I could using Piston's counterpoint & other materials, as well as basic scales on a 61-key weightless keyboard that a friend gave me in 2006... but that was nothing. I've actually been tortured by the passing-away of my years, without becoming a musician.

Just this past Tuesday, having moved into a new flat, I was on a walk and realised that the local Royal Conservatory is 5 minutes down the road. Had no idea it was even there. I walked in, asked the administrator what was what, and he told me to look up teachers on their website. I immediately saw an affordable (30 min. lessons once a week) option in the Head Teacher of the piano department. She very kindly offered me a free trial lesson this coming Wednesday. Everything's come together very well, and I will do anything, now, to make music as much a part of my life as possible, and hopefully (some day) my entire life.

I hope Piano World will help me in this endeavour, and that I may contribute well to the community! smile

Top
#2593821 - 12/11/16 04:49 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 03/21/13
Posts: 2915
Loc: Australia
welcome to PW and congratulations on taking your very first steps. I sincerely hope that for you piano is as life changing as many of us have found.
_________________________
Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

Top
#2593914 - 12/11/16 01:11 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
xiaophaedrus Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 12/06/16
Posts: 2
Hey Ya'll! My name's Tom. I've been reading these forums for a while, gearing up to buy my first piano. Bought an old grand last night and I'm excited to join this vibrant group of adult beginners. I'm goin' for the first prelude in the WTC book 1 as my first piece. Wish me luck! Thanks for having me, and a special thanks to all of the incredibly generous contributors with way more experience and knowledge - you guys are the BEST!

Top
#2593915 - 12/11/16 01:13 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Registered: 04/20/15
Posts: 1124
Loc: Spain
I'm reading you, ICW, your fresh energy is very welcome! smile

I keep forgetting what is the WTC book but it sounds difficult, xiaophaedrus... laugh smile

Top
#2593952 - 12/11/16 04:31 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
jandz Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 12/09/16
Posts: 4
Loc: Texas
I'll jump in here too. My name's Jeff, and I've been reading here for a while as well. Mostly just lurking in this forum but I sometimes poke around in the one or two others as well. My wife got me a Boston earlier this year and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm a classical piano nerd but I've only been playing about a year and a half now so still very green. My goal, if I am bold enough to state it, is to play all 32 of the Beethoven sonatas at some point in my life. Not necessarily to perform them for anyone, playing them for me (and my poor wife) is probably enough. smile

I've just wrapped the second movement of Beethoven's op. 13 sonata and Chopin's nocturne, op 9, no 2. My teacher has me on the third movement of the Tempest now and the posth. c# minor nocturne so we'll see how those go. Anyway, nice to meet everyone and thanks for letting me join.

Cheers,
-j

Top
#2593958 - 12/11/16 05:02 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
ghosthand Offline
Full Member

Registered: 10/15/15
Posts: 124
Loc: Sweden
I just wrote a new post in the blog where I try to tell the whole and true story of my life as an amateur pianist ... from the very beginning ...

I am 50 years and I have heavy burden with family life and professional life (I am a freelance translator) right now, and after a very tough working period I am not just exhausted and have been forced to put piano playing aside for a while, I have also gained some kind of injury from too much computer work. Sigh. It could be carpal tunnel syndrome, but I optimistically believe I will recover if I just take it easy for a while.

So my piano playing is mostly "mental" right now.



Edited by ghosthand (12/11/16 05:02 PM)
_________________________
My piano practice blog: https://pianovning.wordpress.com/
Some recordings: https://soundcloud.com/christina-br-nnestam

Top
#2593960 - 12/11/16 05:14 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
J Soo Offline
Full Member

Registered: 02/02/16
Posts: 78
jandz, I share your name and your goal! The name I'll keep; the goal is probably just a dream, but one I'll work toward at least slowly. Welcome!
_________________________
I left the piano for a while, but it never left me

Top
#2593983 - 12/11/16 07:09 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 03/21/13
Posts: 2915
Loc: Australia
welcome xiaophaedrus. Bach Prelude in C is not usually the very first piece most would learn but is quite achievable. I personally played it here at my first ABF recital at 5.5 months of experience, before I had even started to use the sustain pedal, but that is the least of its problems smile

The beauty of this particular piece for me is it has never stopped losing its appeal. I love it more today than when I first heard it. I learnt is again several years later and managed to improve on my previous outing and no doubt will learn it again in the future. I hope you find this piece, or some other, does the same.
_________________________
Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

Top
#2594121 - 12/12/16 10:36 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
jandz Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 12/09/16
Posts: 4
Loc: Texas
Hey J Soo. Thanks for the welcome! As I'm on the wrong side of 40 for such a goal, I have to agree. It might all just be a dream. BUT. Playing the piano is enough fun and the music alone is enough motivation to try. Might as well, still got a bit of time to kill. smile

Top
#2594710 - 12/14/16 08:53 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
michael2522 Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 12/13/16
Posts: 1
Hello,
I live in Mexico, from Ireland originally, worked in the US as an Architect for many years...ended up marrying a Mexican Indian lady and having a couple of kids. Retired now, build wooded instruments-guitar, ukulele and jarana, raise goats, chickens and have 4 rescue dogs.

Played classical guitar for years, well...tried to but between work and family...very little practice. Tried to get my kids interested in the piano and signed myself up for classes along with the kids.....but I think I started too late on them and they lost interest quickly...

I'm a newbie but I am ready to move up to a new piano....need help in that department...for my first piano I bought a Yamaha NP-11...I know Yamaha is a good brand, the price was right and as a architect, I liked the way it looked....(sorry 'bout that, its a designer thing). I now need a full 88 keyboard as I am playing pieces that go beyond the 66 keys on the NP11. I also need a hammer weighted keyboard....as practicing on my little piano and playing the upright in class is like playing on a totally different type of instrument. I'll practice diligently all week (an hour a day) then go to class only to have the teacher ask me if I practiced this week...FRUSTRATED! She admits that the play in her studio is "heavy" and a bit difficult to play. With GHE, GHS, GH, etc. I am a bit lost in picking the right instrument...and on a budget...help!

Top
#2594827 - 12/14/16 03:42 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 03/21/13
Posts: 2915
Loc: Australia
welcome to the forum michael. As to your search for the right piano if you are considering staying with digital you should lodge this common question in the Digital Forum here at PW. Those guys really know everything there is to know about digitals and the latest upgrades.
_________________________
Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

Top
#2599537 - 12/31/16 05:39 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
attilam Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 11/06/16
Posts: 2
Hello, my name is Attila, I'm 38, and I'm from Hungary. I've been lurking on the forums since around October, when I tried to figure out which digital piano I should buy as my first one. I want to participate in MOYD 2017, and I thought about introducing myself here first. smile

My musical background is mostly that I love to noodle around with synths in my spare time (I love sound design, and I'm a programmer by day), but not knowing any music theory it's been bothering me that anything that sounded good melodically was by accident. Since I love the sound of pianos I thought I'd learn theory by learning to play on the piano.

After obsessively researching for weeks to find the right one that would fit my budget and feel good, I ended up getting a Roland FP-30, and I love it! Originally I thought about getting a graded action MIDI keyboard, but I'm glad I didn't, this way I have something separate from my usual setup around my computer, which is a dangerous source for distractions.

For about a month I've been learning and practicing every day, and it feels very addictive! I also realize more and more how much I don't know yet, so I'm preparing myself mentally to do it for years to come! This forum seems like an amazing resource to help with that, glad I've found it!
_________________________
Roland FP-30

Top
#2599586 - 12/31/16 09:52 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
xyzzyFL Online   content
Full Member

Registered: 12/16/16
Posts: 28
Loc: Ocala, FL
I've fiddled around on the piano all my life. Took lessons as a child and hated them. Teacher wanted me to play Lieberstraun and other awful (IMHO) songs and I wanted to play the songs I heard on the radio. (Yes, it was before TV)  Luckily, I was able to pretty much play the melody of any song as long as I knew what the song sounded like, but not 'play' the piano.
 
So my Mother, who did play the piano, taught me chords and finally I was able to play the melody and figure out what chords went with it. BUT, the songs never sounded good. Skip forward 70 years...
 
I've been working on the L & M Piano course to finally to learn to actually play the piano and also working through Alfred's Adult Piano course. Pretty much flew through Book 1 and am starting Book 2. I'm planning on finding a teacher if I can find one who is willing to work with a really old person.
 
No doubt, there will be questions, so I'll be posting periodically.


Edited by xyzzyFL (12/31/16 06:15 PM)
_________________________
Leap and the net will appear

Top
#2599711 - 12/31/16 04:12 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
earlofmar Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Registered: 03/21/13
Posts: 2915
Loc: Australia
welcome xyzzyFL & attilam, always wonderful to read the stories of what got people to this point in their lives.
_________________________
Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

XL, XXXVIII-9-XXX

Top
#2605392 - 01/17/17 03:25 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
5pence Online   blank
Junior Member

Registered: 01/13/17
Posts: 1
Loc: UK
Hi there, well after spending a couple of weeks reading through threads etc I decided it best to not be shy and actually join up. I have spent a while playing while synths and have a in-the-box studio and have always fancied learning how to play an instrument instead of programming a set. I got a Yamaha P-115 last week and I'm quite happy it, not exactly a Bösendorfer mind. Alfreds book 1 ought to be arriving soon so I'll have that to keep me busy. I know my music theory (mostly) but its the hard part of teaching the fingers to do what i want them to... Anyhow it's a hi from Ireland smile
_________________________
Playing all the right keys, just at the wrong time

Top
Page 45 of 45 < 1 2 43 44 45

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Piano Summit 2017!
Piano Summit 2017!
Check out the itineraries!
Click for Details
Piano Summit 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thomann DP-26 - worth a punt for a cheap gig piano?
by Honkytonkman
01/20/17 10:11 PM
Bluthner 238
by Miguel Rey
01/20/17 10:07 PM
Want to upgrade to a baby grand/grand piano
by hello my name is
01/20/17 09:10 PM
ROLI seaboard, any users out there ?
by Alexander Borro
01/20/17 08:07 PM
Dodeka keyboard
by phantomFive
01/20/17 06:41 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
86,320 Registered Members
44 Forums
177,901 Topics
2,590,503 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission