Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (benjamink, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 22 invisible), 1074 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 41 of 41 < 1 2 39 40 41
Topic Options
#2435681 - 06/26/15 04:58 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
DavidCox, welcome to PianoWorld!
You will be surprise about your progress if you manage to keep a consistent practicing but I don't have an answer to your question about practice time... In my case, it all depends on my will: I can do a shift of 3 hours, or I can play for only 20min. The point is not the "time" you dedicate to practice, the point is how you fell to do it. I don't use to force myself to play, but I try to play everyday just to keep my fingers warm wink

I've two (teenager) kids and a wife and I use to share some of my playing with them. However, I've some tips to not turn my practice sessions in a nightmare for them. smile
First, I use headphones 90% of the time - I own a digital piano - and, second, I only play a piece for them when it's finished. I avoid to share my practice sessions with them because it's boring and tiring - for them, of course! -. It works for me.
An exception when I'm trying to compose a tune and I ask my daughter about "what sounds better? This... or this?" smile

Youtube channel | Box MP3 records

Self-taught since Dec2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2435769 - 06/26/15 11:21 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
sor Offline

Hi all

Im new here in fact this is my first post, I also just discovered this forum, Im 41 and live in houston, I have been playing for about two years now and although I had lessons for about 6 months when I was 6 years old I stopped piano all together because like many others here it was forced on me and I rebelled and didnt want to practice or play so I never touched it again until two years ago, and that happened quite accidentally. Its a funny story I had no inclination to play the piano or even buy one.

I had just purchased a new home and I was in the process of buying furnishings for it. There was an area in my living room that really didnt lend itself to any kind of furniture I couldnt put a sofa, chairs or anything there. Then one day it just hit me. It would be a perfect for a piano.

I still had no inclination to play at all I just wanted a nice piece of "furniture" for the corner of my living room then I thought since Im buying a piano it will definitely have to be a player piano, since I wasn't planning on playing I figured it would be nice to have the piano play for me. Long story short I found a little baby grand yamaha with a disklavier system and purchased it. It finally arrived and it fit perfect in its little corner and it just sat there for a few months.

I didnt know much about it and I had not touched a piano in over 35 years.
It came with one cd it was a gershwin cd I turned it on one night and I was upstairs doing some stuff and I remember the first time I heard "the man I love" being played by the player my interest was peaked immediately, I ran to the piano and I sat down for the first time and I re-started the song over and over again so that I could see which notes are being played to see if I could actually play a little of the piece. To my astonishment after about an hr or so I was able to play the first 10 or 15 seconds of the piece, and then it was all over for me.

After a few more days I played more and more and after a couple of weeks I could actually play the whole thing. I was somewhat shocked and most motivated by my achievement and well now it has turned into where I am after two years. I still cant read a lick of music. I didnt even know what middle C was until I started watching Utube videos, but I love playing now. and to this day I play by watching my player piano and just playing it back. It has become my teacher. I guess I really am monkey see monkey do smile

I

#2435773 - 06/26/15 11:29 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: UnderConstruction]
grace_note Online   content

Loc: California, USA
Ahh. I almost made that mistake myself. I was going to get a cheaper, weighted keyboard, but decided to bite the bullet and get a Roland HP508. I am so happy I did. It was a risk I was willing to take because I was pretty confident in my drive to learn piano was stronger than my propensity for getting bored! smile

#2435782 - 06/26/15 11:39 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: fuji88]

fuji88, welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here myself. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and there is a lot of great information here, and useful links too.

#2435794 - 06/26/15 12:00 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: DavidCox]

Hello DavidCox. IMHO, just play whenever you can w/o leaving your wife holding the bag for chores and kids. Tell her how important it is to you. You have to do what you love. I've been married for 30 years, and sometimes I just have to stand my ground; rough at first, but in the end it works out. Above all, keep playing...

#2435805 - 06/26/15 12:41 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
nancyde Offline

I have been reading the forum posts for many months but have not posted before. I am an older (67) beginner. I took piano lessons as a child but didn't practice like I should have. I played clarinet in both marching and concert band in high school and have always loved music. Several years ago, I decided I wanted to take lessons again. I know I will never be a concert pianist, but I still want to learn as much as I can and I love every minute of it. I retired a few years ago and I lost my husband last year so my music fills many hours and gives me great pleasure.

#2435812 - 06/26/15 12:52 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: CarlosCC]
DavidCox Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for the welcome CarlosCC!

It's funny how lack of time for something makes it seam like I couldn't ever possibly get tired or burned out doing it. There is a little bit of force to get myself to go through daily sheet music reading practice, but even that makes me happy. Even Hanon and scale practice gets me excited these days. Learning songs again are on the back burner till the day that I feel comfortable playing easy songs by sight reading.

I look forward to my two young boys (One and Three year olds) get a little older to entice them to play piano. I'll be scouring these forums for advice on doing this in the years to come I'm sure.

Actually I practice with headphones on 99.9 percent of the time. If someday someone around me shows the slightest interest, I'll plug in my speakers. My kids have a fun toy grand piano that I play with them.

#2435865 - 06/26/15 04:01 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: nancyde]
debussychopin Offline

Originally Posted By nancyde
I have been reading the forum posts for many months but have not posted before. I am an older (67) beginner. I took piano lessons as a child but didn't practice like I should have. I played clarinet in both marching and concert band in high school and have always loved music. Several years ago, I decided I wanted to take lessons again. I know I will never be a concert pianist, but I still want to learn as much as I can and I love every minute of it. I retired a few years ago and I lost my husband last year so my music fills many hours and gives me great pleasure.

Sorry for your loss nancyde. I feel for you; my spouse is my coolest friend and partner I cannot imagine how it must be to lose her. Hope you have fun here and with your music ..piano just does the best job of filling many hours making them seem as only a few minutes.

#2435884 - 06/26/15 04:51 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: sor]
Albunea Offline

Loc: Spain
Originally Posted By sor
To my astonishment after about an hr or so I was able to play the first 10 or 15 seconds of the piece, and then it was all over for me.

How lucky!!! smile Your story is amazing. laugh

Hello, nancyde. smile Hope you read you around here. smile

Edited by Albunea (06/26/15 04:54 PM)

#2435889 - 06/26/15 05:06 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Welcome to the ABF David, Fugi, Nancy and Sor. You will find this a very friendly place. Any questions, just ask.

Sor - that's a funny story. If you spend just a little bit of time learning the notes of the grand staff, you will likely find learning your songs (even monkey see, monkey-do style) a little easier. Plus, when you think of a song not on your player machine that you really want to learn...and you will....you will be ready to do so. This book is aimed at kids, but will painlessly teach you the notes of the grand staff...my teacher wrote it, so I know she gets good results with it.

Wordspeller link

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2435905 - 06/26/15 06:09 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
nancyde Offline

Thanks for the kind welcome--I really appreciate it.

#2435962 - 06/26/15 10:49 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: JimF]
sor Offline

Originally Posted By JimF
Welcome to the ABF David, Fugi, Nancy and Sor. You will find this a very friendly place. Any questions, just ask.

Sor - that's a funny story. If you spend just a little bit of time learning the notes of the grand staff, you will likely find learning your songs (even monkey see, monkey-do style) a little easier. Plus, when you think of a song not on your player machine that you really want to learn...and you will....you will be ready to do so. This book is aimed at kids, but will painlessly teach you the notes of the grand staff...my teacher wrote it, so I know she gets good results with it.

Wordspeller link

Jim

thanks Jim I will look into it,

#2436619 - 06/29/15 11:45 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
DavidCox Offline

Loc: California
Grace_Note- Sorry that I missed your post last week. Thanks for the encouragement to make my piano needs heard. I'll be doing that.

#2437186 - 07/01/15 02:29 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
kayliz Offline

Hello everyone, i'm new here, just joined this forum to learn everything about the piano.

It has always been my wish to be able to play the piano, i took lessons when i was a child but my family was not able to afford so in the end i had to stop.

I hoped my daughter would love to to take piano lessons, however she was not keen so i decided to take lessons on my own. I had my 1st class last week and I enjoyed it.

I cannot remember what I learnt 20 years ago; I'm especially weak with recognizing the notes on the bass clef. I did lots of research whether it is too late for an adult like me to take classes, while most comments have been encouraging, I agree it is not easy as my fingers are not so flexible. I am taking classical piano with graded exams.

Since I'm still new, i have not invested in a piano so i will start practising on a normal keyboard. My hubby agreed to buy me a piano this Christmas should i still be learning, which i am 100% sure i will!

Hope to learn more from everyone of you!

#2437228 - 07/01/15 08:13 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: kayliz]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By kayliz
I hoped my daughter would love to to take piano lessons, however she was not keen so i decided to take lessons on my own. I had my 1st class last week and I enjoyed it.

That's the ticket! Good on you - I bet you *are* still learning by Christmas and you'll love it. The ABF is a great place to learn all sorts of things, so welcome!

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#2437232 - 07/01/15 08:21 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: kayliz]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

I think I'm already getting visions of the "big guy" getting the piano down the chimney. You're gonna do great!

Welcome aboard!!

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2440983 - 07/13/15 07:53 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Ruslan81 Offline

Loc: Kharkiv * Ukraine
Good Afternoon ladies and gentelmen! In october 2013 our family aquired used accustic piano *Ukraina* for our 2 little douthers, 2 and 4 years old.They are were happy,but not so long.After teaching couple of melodies for kids,they are lost any interest to it.But we didnt forse them-they are go in for Free Callisthanics,and have prizes there.So I begun domesticated mayself! 32 years old simple worker from cast iron factory,but with great desire to play fortepiano.In beginning it was all kind of* You Tube* lessons-all my favourite song and melodies(from russian folk to iron maiden and manowar)Then i started to learn notes,i took some lessons from piano teacher.She not only explain to me basics and some of notes litaracy,but she engraft to me love of CLASSIC-Chopin,Bach,Beethoven,Tchaykovskiy are take 80 percent of my plaing time.All the rest is scales,ecxercises(Hanon,Metner) and kind of popular songs.I training every day after work and on wekends.Beside of it I boxing in gym Just for health and self defence.I am Happiest man of the world! Sorry my English,its not my native.Your Forum is very intresting! Thank You! Ruslan.

Edited by Ruslan81 (07/13/15 07:56 AM)

#2440988 - 07/13/15 08:13 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Ruslan81]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Welcome Ruslan, reading and writing on the forum might also be a good way to improve your English :-)

Добро пожаловать. А детей я бы заставил, ну это уже сугубо личное мнение.

#2440995 - 07/13/15 08:57 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Moonsh1ne]
Ruslan81 Offline

Originally Posted By Moonsh1ne
Welcome Ruslan, reading and writing on the forum might also be a good way to improve your English :-)

Добро пожаловать. А детей я бы заставил, ну это уже сугубо личное мнение.
Thank You Moonsh1ne! But how did you know that russian my native not ukrainian??? I am ethnic russian,was born in Ukraine,I know ukrainian language but thinking in russian.Your russian is good,did you learned it? P.S: Классическая музыка-великолепна!

#2441078 - 07/13/15 02:08 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Ruslan81]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Says there on the left you're from Kharkiv and I know a thing or two about Ukraine.

There are plenty of Russian native speakers on the forum, the only thing is you're supposed to use English here as a rule because it's so international.

#2441093 - 07/13/15 02:41 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Moonsh1ne]
Ruslan81 Offline

Originally Posted By Moonsh1ne
Says there on the left you're from Kharkiv and I know a thing or two about Ukraine.

There are plenty of Russian native speakers on the forum, the only thing is you're supposed to use English here as a rule because it's so international.
I am understand you sir .Of course i will to use English here.But are you really knows russian aren't you?

#2441123 - 07/13/15 04:32 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
nancyde Offline

I am pretty new to posting on the forum, although I have been lurking for quite some time. I took piano lessons as a child for a few years and played clarinet in both marching and concert band in high school and have always loved music. I started taking lessons again about 2 1/2 years ago. I grew up in Kansas and came to St. Louis after I graduated from Kansas State--got married and stayed here. I am now 67 and retired, I was married 40 years and lost my husband in March 2014. I have 2 dogs, a black lab and a weim. I am a hard-core gardener and also volunteer at the Mo. Botanical Garden. My other main hobby is knitting, which I adore and have done my entire life. I have found such satisfaction and enjoyment from the piano and I love the Forum.

#2441232 - 07/13/15 10:45 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Muri19 Offline

Hi everybody!

I'm just starting on the forum and have already been sneaking on some posts, it's really great to see some of the same doubts I have and seeing different experiences smile

I'm 24 and re-started piano lessons about half a year ago, after a dull experience in my teenage years that really discouraged me. Fortunatly (or not?) I decided to get back into music, and keep struggling to overcome my lack of self discipline, so maybe it'd be good to join a community like this. Anyway, I'm still really new, and yet have tons of things to learn, hope I find help among you!

#2441240 - 07/13/15 11:22 PM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
AndrewJCW Online   content

Loc: Middle of nowhere, Australia
Welcome Muri and others!

What a story sor, and fantastic playing and contributions from what I've heard from your posts. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

As for myself, I'm Andrew, 27 and from Australia and am just making my way on piano. Having a great time learning and benefiting from everyone else's learning as well!

#2441279 - 07/14/15 03:45 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: AndrewJCW]
PaulHS Offline

Hello, my name is Paul and I have started playing the piano again. I was amazed to find out that there a lot of adult beginners here. When I was a 12 year old kid I had to take lessons. Now 36 years later I started playing again. I take lessons as well. Yesterday had my 3rd one.

I am playing on a 36 year old Lindbergh upright piano. It is to small for me so I have put on 10 cm high pieces of wood to make a bit higher. Using the pedals is a bit tricky now :-( The piano is still in a reasonable state, except for on string that sounds a bit strange. My teacher says 'it has a cold' ;-). A technician will come next month and I will ask him if something can be done about it. I also want to buy a keyboard so that I can play with headphones on and not disturb my little kids when they are in bed trying to sleep. Also I like the possibility of having different sounds.

When I first learned to play, I had a polish teacher and he brought a lot of classical music from eastern European composers that I had to learn. Back than I was not to thrilled about that. However I always did like the piano! Now I am going to learn some different stuff. I am now practicing some easy preludes from Bach and I am learning the blues. First the basics and then learn how to do some improvisations.

I hope learn a lot and have a lot of fun on the piano, keyboard and here on the forum.

#2441535 - 07/15/15 05:54 AM Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky]
Ruslan81 Offline

Wellkome Paul!
I am here newby too.This forum has lot of useful information about piano! You made right choice.Bach is cool! A short time ago I learned 1 part of his PRELUDE IN C MAJOR,some day I hope to down 2 part :)))

Page 41 of 41 < 1 2 39 40 41

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My visit to the Steinway Piano Gallery to assess pianos
by shirlkirsten
08/02/15 12:16 AM
Famous pianists who were not child prodigies?
by deckard
08/01/15 10:53 PM
Tips for removing leather key bushings?
by machineintel
08/01/15 10:17 PM
Help choosing a digital baby grand
by Or Moyal
08/01/15 10:12 PM
Piece identification request....
by TwoSnowflakes
08/01/15 08:47 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,922 Topics
2,432,042 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission