Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2061132 - 04/08/13 03:35 AM Ebony & Ivory
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
I was wondering what material is used nowadays on AP keys. I know that ebony and ivory is not used anymore. But they are surly not cheap plastic imitations such as on some DPs. Furthermore, on many DPs they try to copy the original ivory feeling (some better, some worse).
Why don't DPs use/have the same coating as on most APs, which is very pleasant to the touch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2061138 - 04/08/13 03:54 AM Re: Ebony & Ivory [Re: Cmin]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
The majority of acoustic pianos are using a smooth plastic for keys these days, as you go up in price, you will find different amounts of texturing built into that plastic and on some brand you will find an ivory simulation which is still plastic, but with a porous nature which allegedly provides better grip and feel and copes better with sweaty hands. There are similar attempts at texturing the black keys to feel like ebony wood.

DP manufacturers are currently obsessed with the "ivory feel" key experience. As part of their aim of reproducing various aspects of acoustic pianos, they have really zeroed in on the ivory key surface as something they can do well. There have been many variations in this endeavour - some more successful than others. (Some subject to serious wear and had to be replaced under warranty.) It's all part of trying to impart a certain "premium" experience in a product that falls short of an acoustic in many respects. Some people like it, some don't. Personally, I'm not that enthused by it. My Yamaha upright has smooth plastic keys and it's fine for me. I don't need a DP to be any different or more "authentic".

#2061272 - 04/08/13 12:52 PM Re: Ebony & Ivory [Re: Cmin]
Tom Fine Offline

Loc: Boston
From what I can tell APs generally use plastic. Steinway even brags that the switched to plastic from ivory a decade before it became a law.

Of course this is a layer of plastic over wood. And there are tons of different kinds of plastic, and I'd suspect that Steinway and other AP makers chose something really stiff and high-density. I don't know if Steinway or others add any texture to their plastic.

I suspect what it comes down to is weight and price. A DP could easily use the same wood and top quality plastic construction. Of course at that point you'd be lucky if your slab weighed less than 75 pounds. You could mold the entire key out of high quality plastic, but it's still likely to be heavier, and there are other engineering issues with plastic too--the nice hard plastic used as a key surface might tend to be much more brittle, and therefore not suitable for a key body. In this case you could also put the high quality plastic on top of the key body plastic, which might feel great, or might feel really funky because it isn't wood under there. And again, you're looking at greater cost and greater weight, and probably some service issues since the two pieces could separate (just like on an AP).

#2061364 - 04/08/13 04:47 PM Re: Ebony & Ivory [Re: Tom Fine]
Cmin Offline

Loc: Swabia
I see. That's reasonable. Thanks for the clarifications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, HP 3000s, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert A-200 active monitors

#2061384 - 04/08/13 05:09 PM Re: Ebony & Ivory [Re: Cmin]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Many acoustic pianos, even from expensive manufacturers, have acrylics on their white keys and phenol on their black keys. Pity; it makes an otherwise good piano less enjoyable to me. Bechstein comes to mind.

To me it feels like plastic; and in summer, when I sweat, it can feel like playing on a buttered bread.

Makers like August Förster or Sauter provide a special textured plastic only on their concert pianos.
Grotrian offers mammoth ivory on request; prices vary.
Kawai uses "Ivory Touch" on their digital pianos, and "Neotex" on their acoustic pianos. I like the feel of the "Ivory Touch" better.
Yamaha uses Ivorite, and in my opinion did one of the best jobs in that regard.
Fazioli uses "non-reflective, composite" material; and it feels like a caress.
Bösendorfer and Steinway also use special surfaces.

When buying a piano, the feel of the keys is a deciding factor for me. If a piano has a great action and great sound; but I don't like touching it, then it's not my piano.

Edited by patH (04/08/13 05:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Inserted line break

#2061574 - 04/08/13 10:53 PM Re: Ebony & Ivory [Re: Cmin]
anhjackson Offline

Loc: Banned
Thank you about "I suspect what it comes down to is weight and price. A DP could easily use the same wood and top quality plastic construction. Of course at that point you'd be lucky if your slab weighed less than 75 pounds. You could mold the entire key out of high quality plastic, but it's still likely to be heavier, and there are other engineering issues with plastic too--the nice hard plastic used as a key surface might tend to be much more brittle, and therefore not suitable for a key body"

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
5 minutes 58 seconds ago
Getting back into it
by Upside
37 minutes 44 seconds ago
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
Today at 03:05 PM
"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea
by Zach Evans
Today at 02:13 PM
Advice Digital Piano < 800 GPB
by Altair
Today at 02:09 PM
Who's Online
167 registered (accordeur, ajames, 255, AEMontoya, 44 invisible), 1482 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157566 Topics
2314385 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission