2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
dmd: You've missed the point. Someone (the OP) has made the decision to use a piano library. The hassle of connection must have already been considered and accepted.

And to further narrow that target market, they have decided there is no wish to ever have the option to utilize their DP without the accompanying hardware. Seems like an unnecessarily restrictive decision for saving $200 .... but too each his/her own.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
dmd: You've missed the point. Someone (the OP) has made the decision to use a piano library. The hassle of connection must have already been considered and accepted.

And to further narrow that target market, they have decided there is no wish to ever have the option to utilize their DP without the accompanying hardware. Seems like an unnecessarily restrictive decision for saving $200 .... but too each his/her own.

Especially considering that the marginal manufacturing cost to include the sound generator is negligible...

Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ES7 - RHII action < VPC1 - RM3 Grand II

I'm not sure about the pedals on the ES7 (is the sustain more than just a on/off switch?) but the other big selling feature of the VPC1 are the "Grand Piano Pedals" where half-pedaling will work.

ES7 - "32 exceptional instrument sounds" - don't want these, I'm only interested in the best available piano sound. As of now the best is only available via piano software.

Touch curves? Well I'm not sure if I will be the kind that will tweak these endlessly. I'm sure the settings that come out of the box will work well. One point I think is that the controller is designed with this in mind. Other digitals output midi velocity levels with lesser range and probably designed specifically for their own sound generator (not 100% sure on that one).

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Vid
ES7 - RHII action < VPC1 - RM3 Grand II

Well, I have owned both of them (CA-63 with RM3 Grand and ES7 with RHII) and I prefer the RHII. So, I would not give any particular edge to the RM3 Grand action.

I'm not sure about the pedals on the ES7 (is the sustain more than just a on/off switch?) but the other big selling feature of the VPC1 are the "Grand Piano Pedals" where half-pedaling will work.

The ES7 has sustain pedal with "half-damper function". If that means half-pedaling then it has that feature.

ES7 - "32 exceptional instrument sounds" - don't want these, I'm only interested in the best available piano sound.

That is my position also. But it can be a nice diversion periodically.

As of now the best is only available via piano software.
You may be right. I just have a found it difficult to get that "best" sound out of my computer and into the air.

Touch curves? Well I'm not sure if I will be the kind that will tweak these endlessly. I'm sure the settings that come out of the box will work well.

My position on this, as well.

One point I think is that the controller is designed with this in mind. Other digitals output midi velocity levels with lesser range and probably designed specifically for their own sound generator (not 100% sure on that one).

I no nothing about this. Doesn't sound like you do either.

So, from my perspective ... I could swap my ES7 for the VPC1 and the only significant difference I would notice in my day is that I would be restricted to my software piano sounds exclusively.

Not necessarily a bad thing. I would get used to it.
I would probably begin the journey of searching for a better hardware system in order to realize the "potential" of the software piano sounds I am using. Maybe would begin purchasing additional software in search of that "best" sound.

Maybe it would turn out to be a good thing. Maybe I would find that nirvana of piano sound ... Maybe ...

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Originally Posted by dmd
I would probably begin the journey of searching for a better hardware system in order to realize the "potential" of the software piano sounds I am using. Maybe would begin purchasing additional software in search of that "best" sound.

Maybe it would turn out to be a good thing. Maybe I would find that nirvana of piano sound ... Maybe ...
A lot of us has this jurney behind us, having had a full-fledged DP and ending at not using its internals at all or uttermost at 5% of all the time.

Vid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't trade in an ES7 for the VPC1 if I already had one and not my intention to diss it either.

I started my "journey" with hooking up my old Clavinova (CLP130) with Pianoteq and then added the Bluthner add on. I've added Galaxy D to the mix now which is my current favorite.

I also only use headphones because attempts to use computer speakers or routing the sound through the Clavinova speakers had terrible results. Of course there is a myriad of options for outside sound output but I fear that might be a costly rabbit hole.

My priority for now is to replace the Clavinova with something that has a superior action and better sustain pedal (its just a switch on the Clavinova). I feel the VPC1 was made specifically for someone in my situation. I don't seem to be alone in this respect.

Maybe someone can comment on the velocity levels/curves? Am I right to think that a controller like the VPC are designed to take full advantage of the 128 velocity levels available? I know my Clavinova only outputs something like levels 10 to 100. frown

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
...too each his/her own.

Precisely.

You are very happy with your ES7 and therefore do not feel the need to purchase a VPC1.

However, other players may be approaching the VPC1 from a different background and/or with different needs, so for these individuals the VPC1 is a more attractive proposition.

Just because an instrument has black and white keys, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who plays the piano is obligated to immediately rush out and buy it.

I, for example, would never consider purchasing a Yamaha 'Tyros'-style board, however I appreciate that there is a market for such an instrument among certain types of players.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by curt88
The VPC1 has an Ivory touch preset, but Ivory has a family of pianos (Steinway, Yamaha, Fazzioli, Bosie). I'm curious which of these piano's actions has been captured in the Ivory preset?

Just a quick bump to highlight that this question has been added to the Q&A section of the VPC website:

http://kawaivpc.com/questions

Cheers,
James
x

E
E

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have an MP-10 which seems to be the same keys as the VPC1. I also exclusively use Ivory II American Concert D. Is there a way to get these touch curves for my use? Are they a lot better than a flat curve?

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
Originally Posted by Allan W.
I have an MP-10 which seems to be the same keys as the VPC1. I also exclusively use Ivory II American Concert D. Is there a way to get these touch curves for my use? Are they a lot better than a flat curve?

The MP10 and VPC1 keyboard actions are very similar, however the VPC1's 'RM3 Grand II' action features 3-sensor key detection. This can affect the touch characteristics.

Regardless, however, I'm afraid it is not possible to obtain, nor load the VPC1's 'approved touch curves' onto the MP10.

Cheers,
James
x

E
E
Originally Posted by Allan W.

Maybe having the velocity curve sketch (a screenshot for example) is possible to (*manually*) extrapolate the data and than (manually) copy that into the velocity editor of another software.

* for manually I mean writing a simple script (in python) that take the curve image and write out the midi-in/out mapping in a text file for example.
It's not difficult at all but it'a extremely boring...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, I can try to reconstruct it from a picture of the curve. Would anyone have a copy?

Also, what kind of difference does it make versus the default neutral setting?

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
Allan W.,

If you have a Windows PC, you can download and run the VPC Editor (albeit in demo mode) and find the exact values.

However, once again, the 'approved touch curves' are prepared for the 'RM3 Grand II' action, not the 'RM3 Grand'.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission