Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2060567 - 04/06/13 11:21 PM Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51.
PHarris Offline

The actual instrument I liked the most of everything was the Arius C71PE, but it's $1700, over my $1000 budget and it's slighter larger than the other offerings. So I narrowed it down to these 3 Yamahas.

I've played the P95 and the YDP-S51 and I love the feel of both. I'm assuming the S31 is the same as the S51, touchwise? Nobody sells the S31s anymore, so I'd be buying it blind. Hoping someone here has one or has played one and the s51 for comparison sake.

I hated all the Casios, even the Celvianos. I liked the Casio CPD-120 better than their piano offerings. And for Yamaha, I didn't feel that the Clavinovas played $1000 better than the low end Arius ones - in terms of my preference. But I'm agonizing over two things:

Even with the pedal-board and wood stand, will the P95 make me feel deprived? Is the S31 virtually the same as the S51? I really like the furniture aspect of the S31/51, but I have limited space and another piano in my office and wonder if it's more practical to get a keyboard that can be moved, although I'm not good enough to gig and have a much lighter keyboard I could take out.

I can get a P95 decked out for $649 and a YDP-S31 for $899. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2060600 - 04/07/13 12:48 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
mitzysman Offline

Get the p105. It's even better than the p95.

#2060976 - 04/07/13 07:42 PM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: mitzysman]
PHarris Offline

Is it basically that GHS action vs. GH? I think I played a p105 at Guitar Center, but as it was on a stand, I didn't do it for long.

At least I now know that comparing the P95 to the S31 is apples to apples. The P105 seems like it'd be the equivalent of the YDP-S51, which I really loved playing. I thought I didn't like the P95 as much because it was a keyboard and that it was the cabinet I was in love with for the S31, but perhaps the GHS action really makes a difference to me.

#2061127 - 04/08/13 03:20 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
I own a P95 and it is fine. I have a Clavinova and it is fine, too. And I have an acoustic piano, and it is awesome. The p95 weighs 35 pounds so you can take it and move it anywhere. The stand does not adjust to a piano height so that is not perfect but I can live with that. The only thing that all digital pianos cannot do is sustain a note/chord for 2 measures for a beat of 4 beats for each measure - so for a total of 8 beats. So sit down or stand and press an key on a digital piano and count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8. The sound fades unlike an acoustic piano. Using the sustain pedal is not the same thing - go ahead and try to use the sustain pedal, it is an ugly experience for making a note sustain the usual 8 counts or 2 measures in 4/4 time. But as far as learning to play the piano, it is awesome at 600 dollars in canada. You can play it 24//7/365. Dirty cheap for a piano you can take everywhere. Everyone should own a digital and learn to play the piano (24 hours a day) for only 600 dollars.

The sustaining of a note for 8 beats on an acoustic piano is the only difference that you cannot do on a digital.

#2061149 - 04/08/13 04:29 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: Michael_99]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Michael, everybody who reads this will now try out this test on their digital for themselves; any manufacturer will be looking at this posting with bated breath. . . .! Oh boy!! Can you imagine the rage, the facial expressions, the trips to the piano shops to try out all 200 of `em . . . I mean, who seriously wants any note to sustain for a count of 8?

How slow can a man ride a bike without falling off?

How slow can a guy play without him or his audience dropping off?

(I`m on my way to the piano shop . . .it`s only down the road)

Edited by peterws (04/08/13 04:30 AM)

""

#2061233 - 04/08/13 11:01 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
MagicK Offline

Loc: Germany
Well, first Michael didn't mention the speed. I guess at 200bpm every digital can sustain for 2 measures :-)

Second, there is music that relies heavily on long sustain. But shouldn't single note sustain be as long as pedal sustain on a digital? Or do they treat it different?

Edited by MagicK (04/08/13 11:03 AM)
Edit Reason: Bugfixes

#2061263 - 04/08/13 12:21 PM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: Michael_99]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Michael_99

The sustaining of a note for 8 beats on an acoustic piano is the only difference that you cannot do on a digital.

As quoted this is just nonsense.

No tempo is indicated, and anyway the intended sentiment may apply to some or even possibly most DP's, but not all.

#2061572 - 04/08/13 10:52 PM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: spanishbuddha]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Yes, there was no speed mentioned. But if you have a digital or you try a digital, it is your count of 8 or 4/4 times 2 bars. I have been playing for a year. So I am playing basic music. No, I can' play rock just basic music. Put it this way, go to any acoustic piano and hit middle C and she how long it lasts and then try that on a digital and see how long it lasts on little C. If you say I am crazy, then that is cool, because I love my two digital pianos and want everything be perfect and awesome.

#2061669 - 04/09/13 03:02 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: Michael_99]
MagicK Offline

@Michael: I can count to 8 very fast or very slow. That has nothing to do with Rock'n'Roll. Every piece of music has a time signature (that is 4/4 3/4 and so forth) and a speed in wich these fourths are counted. Modern Music usually defines this in beats per minute (e.g (quarter note) = 120) means 120 quartes per minute 2 quarters per second).
Classical music gives the tempo a name like allegro, andante etc.

Besides that, as i already said, many digitals especially the cheaper ones have a very short sustain. They could hold a note forever, but as the last part of a note usually is a looped sample, it would sound awful.

#2061670 - 04/09/13 03:05 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
PHarris Offline

Nothing I'd play would need a long sustain. I have an old Technics digital piano - one of the first DPs that played at all like a piano. I didn't think it'd be the same, so I rented it before buying and was surprised how it really felt like a piano - better than the crap acoustic I grew up with. All acoustics aren't equal. So I can't yet tell if GH vs GHS is that important - I'm sure they are all better than my 8 year old digital. (The Casio's weren't, though.)

#2061695 - 04/09/13 04:46 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Sure but when you transfer across to an AP it starts going a bit pear shaped.

On the DP you can stick a brick on the sustain pedal or reverse the polarity, the results aren't all that bad.

You try the same with an AP and it starts mushing up really badly.

The casio PX x50 series have double the sustain of their older models. My CDP has about 8 seconds which peaked my interest. However my personal opinion is the Casio PX's don't sound right as I played them back to back compared to some Korg, Rolands and Yamahas, even though the spec was lower on the Korgs, Yams and Rolands, via headphones they sounded much better.

#2061709 - 04/09/13 05:41 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
MagicK Offline

It depends. On my Yamaha PSR Keyboard i could push the sustain the whole time and it sounded ok, on my Kawai i have to be much more careful with my pedalling or it sounds mushy.

#2062746 - 04/11/13 04:59 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
MagicK Offline

I tested it on my CN34. After slowly counting to 8 i still hear the middle C, although faint. On the lowest C i don't think it will ever stop :-) Lost interest in counting at 20.
I think i counted at 60 bpm, but that's only subjective feel :-)

#2063451 - 04/12/13 11:46 AM Re: Deciding between Yamaha P95, YDP-S31 and/or YDP-S51. [Re: PHarris]
PHarris Offline

Went back to the piano store. Apparently, the S31 doesn't use the new Graded Hammer system, only the older GHS system. And when I tried the P95 against the P105, it doesn't hold up. The P105 is superior, but I'm surprised that I'm not that excited by the P155 vs the P105. I think the keys feel a little too heavy for what I'm used to and it didn't feel $400 better to me. If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather just get a console like the S51 ($1499 in my California store) or the C71PE which is $1799. Not that I have $1799, but the P105 gets me something to practice on in the house (better piano is in the office) for a reasonable price and the p155 is just too heavy to be a keyboard, but not a console, which for some reason has some type of effect on me. Not sure if it's the vibrations in the cabinet, or just a mental block, but I feel better playing something shaped more like a piano than a synth.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Connect virtual piano to a loopstation?
by Fannix-kun
10/20/14 01:58 PM
Happy Birthday Charles Ives!!
by Dfrankjazz
10/20/14 01:11 PM
False beating and unison tuning
by SMHaley
10/20/14 12:41 PM
Erard/Linke - Obtaining info from Museum of Music - France
by wdmcjrd
10/20/14 11:59 AM
First Pianniversary
by PhilipInChina
10/20/14 10:06 AM
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, ajames, 36251, Al LaPorte, 43 invisible), 1750 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76594 Members
42 Forums
158380 Topics
2325694 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission