Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2061974 - 04/09/13 02:36 PM Could the Roland RD-64 have been better?
CarloPiano Offline

My question is: could the Roland RD-64 have been better than it finally was? I think it has a few fantastic qualities but Roland lose a big opportunity to build an indispensable traveling tool (at least for my taste). The good qualities it has are:

- It's shorter than any 88 keys slab.
- It weights "only" 12 kg.
- It has a real hammer action (although a bit light one)
- It uses a top DP sound engine that I like a lot
- It's price is around 800 eur
- It reaches A1 note so there is a slight widening of the repertoire one can play on this thing.

So what are the characteristics I miss to be this the ideal weekend break piano?

- I would have liked that it reached 4 more keys at the bottom, until F1. That would made this machine ideal to play any Haydn or Mozart sonata and many Beethoven sonata. Several pieces by later composers could be also played without trowing away some bass notes.
- As many forum members noted on previous threads, they maybe must reduced or removed that giant left control panel, or have moved it's functions to the top panel.
- It has no speakers
- It weights 12 kg. Yes, it is lighter than the FP4 but 12 kg makes it as weighty as the Casio PX-120/130/135/150, so regarding to portability RD-64's only advantage on this respect is that it's a few cm shorter, but not as short as it could be as it has the disproportionate control panel.

I think Roland done a big product in many respects but they lose the opportunity to release a really breaking product. At least that's my humble opinion.

Any thoughts? Thanks! smile

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2061993 - 04/09/13 03:04 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: CarloPiano]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I'll go along with the F-compass thing, I would have thought that would have been obvious to the design team, and yes the controls on the side seem like a waste of space.

I'm not sure I'd picked up on it being speakerless.

#2061997 - 04/09/13 03:10 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: CarloPiano]
ClsscLib Online   content

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I don't care about lack of speakers, but I wish the left panel weren't there. Extra notes and the same length would be good, but 64 notes and less length would be even better, AFAIAC.

I may get one anyway -- it's a lot closer to a piano than the NP-11, my current travel ax. Twice the weight, though.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2062006 - 04/09/13 03:20 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: ClsscLib]
CarloPiano Offline

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
I may get one anyway -- it's a lot closer to a piano than the NP-11, my current travel ax. Twice the weight, though.

Almost triple, indeed. 12 kg vs 4.5 kg. That hangs me back from buying one... I guess it's the price that must be paid for a weighted action.

Thinking on a NP-11. How about your experience, ClssLib? Thanks!

Edited by CarloPiano (04/09/13 03:21 PM)

#2062023 - 04/09/13 03:50 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: CarloPiano]

Originally Posted By: CarloPiano
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib

Almost triple, indeed. 12 kg vs 4.5 kg. That hangs me back from buying one... I guess it's the price that must be paid for a weighted action.

Thinking on a NP-11. How about your experience, ClssLib? Thanks!

The NP is a lot better than nothing, but a lot worse than Casio PX-350, which I also play. There's a big difference between the Casio's decent, weighted-key action and the NP-11's unweighted, spring-activated, pressure-sensitive keys.

The NP is, however, light, short, and cheap. I check it as airline baggage in a Roland Juno padded soft case, which fits it like a glove, and it has always emerged from the baggage hold unscathed. That's almost disappointing, since if United would just crush the danged thing, I'd buy an RD-64.

The best thing about the NP is that I don't worry about it when I travel. Que sera, sera.

#2062073 - 04/09/13 05:40 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: ClsscLib]
CarloPiano Offline

Thank you, ClsscLib.

I just found a photo that has almost convinced me about the RD-64:

The fact you save the nuisance of collapsing the car's seat is interesting comparing to the PX-135 I own. I'm really tempted regardless the weight...

I also guess I wouldn't be bothered by the absence of speakers as headphones or a pair of small computer speakers can be carried easily.

EDIT: I also loved this picture:

Edited by CarloPiano (04/09/13 05:49 PM)

#2062105 - 04/09/13 07:20 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: CarloPiano]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

It wasn't really designed for the classical crowd. No product is perfect, but I think controllers on the side is better than on top of the keys. I really don't like controllers on top when I'm using them quite a bit.
Roland Jupiter 80

#2062106 - 04/09/13 07:23 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: CarloPiano]

The one other thing you'll want to think about is a stand for the keyboard and how you will transport it.

I get by without a stand for the NP -- it's light enough and short enough that there's usually a hotel end table, occasional table, or coffee table that will work reasonably well.

I would fly with the Casio PX-350 in a hard case if I could just think of a way to solve the stand problem.

#2062287 - 04/10/13 05:53 AM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: ClsscLib]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I've used my PX-330 resting on two pretty flimsy coffee tables, and on a single coffee table when its been rather sturdier.

#2062578 - 04/10/13 08:56 PM Re: Could the Roland RD-64 have been better? [Re: Vectistim]
Toblerone Offline

I think an Rd76 would have been nice, but I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm getting by with just 64 keys. Over all I'm happy with it, good sounds and a nice action and very manageable to move around.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, aesop, Anne'sson, *windowlicker*, 40 invisible), 1133 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157152 Topics
2308004 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
08/29/14 06:14 PM
OT - Technical help for recording Silent feature to laptop
by casinitaly
08/29/14 05:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission