2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 115 of 190 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 189 190
Me. I'm still trying to crack Canon. I can play all the variations, but can't quite string them all together yet. Mind you, I have been away for a while, and got a little rusty, but I am doing ok after the rest. I am now concentrating on brushing up my last few pieces in book 2. I have made a start on book 3 just to keep my sight reading in. The 1st few pieces are not too bad and I am getting the hang of them fairly quickly. That must be a good sign. But I think I will find the later pieces hard going...especially after the Alberto bass section.

Romolo. When you do get to grips with Danny Boy, you will find it most satisfying, especially when you find you can play it from memory. I did. But I still make the odd mistake now and then. Well, quite often really. LOL.

I too can relate to your looking at right and left hands. I think its probably normal. I sometimes find that if I close my eyes, after I have memorised it, feeling my way can have a surprising and satisfying effect, but not on all pieces. Try it. It really works?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i-Scherzo, when you get Cannon to where you are happy with it, will you please post a recording. I'd love to hear it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
just started chopins etude. what a beautiful piece i love this melody.(knew i heard it before somewhere) and the song previous to it dark eyes is such a beautiful melody. anxious as usual. also lazy =)

Last edited by joeb84; 04/08/11 09:33 PM.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sidelined for a while. I tripped yesterday and broke my fall with my right arm. Didn't want to sit in ER for hours so will see my ortho doc tomorrow. Hard to type lefty.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Ouch! Sounds like what I did last spring. Did you get it X-rayed?

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Ouch indeed, hope nothing is broken mom3gram.

Howser MD
---------

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

mom3gram, let us know how your arm is after your appointment.

Well I think I'm done with Alfred's method book. I've lost complete interest in playing from it. Can't stand the songs and they don't do much with the left hand. I think book #1 was great though. I asked my teacher if I had to keep going through the book and she said no, and that was it.

I really enjoyed going through book #1 with you guys!

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
Originally Posted by GracieCat

Well I think I'm done with Alfred's method book. I've lost complete interest in playing from it. Can't stand the songs and they don't do much with the left hand. I think book #1 was great though. I asked my teacher if I had to keep going through the book and she said no, and that was it.

GracieCat, which book(s) have you considered or are considering instead of book 2?

Howser MD
---------

Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I tried the ortho doc twice this morning, must have been too early because I only got the answering machine. Then I took off the sling I had been using and showered. It was feeling a bit better - fingers, wrist, elbow and shoulder worked fine, a little pain when I rotated my wrist, but nothing like the excruciating pain on Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure nothing is broken, so I decided to just let it ride. I was able to type, and to do a small sketch in my journal. Not ready to carry anything, or to drive or play piano, but maybe in a few days.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram, let us know how your arm is after your appointment.

I really enjoyed going through book #1 with you guys!

wow i can't wait for that day when i can do that. i hate that _____book lol

Originally Posted by Howser
GracieCat, which book(s) have you considered or are considering instead of book 2?

I'm not going to use any method book. I'm basically playing out of "Easy Piano Classics" (book WP42). It says selected and edited by James Bastien. Nothing my teacher has chosen for me is hard, it's just that the left hand works more. No more banging chords in the left hand.

Outside of that book I'm learning Canon in D, which I just can't get to flow together. It's so choppy. And I'm learning Minuet BWV 116. I'm also going through Alfred's theory book and doing scales. (or not doing scales seeing as I hardly ever practice them...)

Joe, if you hate the book, ask to play from something else. Just throw the book in the trash and go find something that you'll enjoy. smile Frankly, I don't like to sit and listen to classical music, but I'm really enjoying playing the music.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Howser

I'm not going to use any method book. I'm basically playing out of "Easy Piano Classics" (book WP42). It says selected and edited by James Bastien. Nothing my teacher has chosen for me is hard, it's just that the left hand works more. No more banging chords in the left hand.

Outside of that book I'm learning Canon in D, which I just can't get to flow together. It's so choppy. And I'm learning Minuet BWV 116. I'm also going through Alfred's theory book and doing scales. (or not doing scales seeing as I hardly ever practice them...)

Joe, if you hate the book, ask to play from something else. Just throw the book in the trash and go find something that you'll enjoy. smile Frankly, I don't like to sit and listen to classical music, but I'm really enjoying playing the music.

same with me. nothing compares. honestly if you can learn classical you can play anything and theres nothing like it on the piano. i fell in love with it and it's a whole world i knew nothing about and just starting to delve into smile

Thanks GracieCat, book on order.

Howser MD
---------

Masterwork Classics 1-2

[Linked Image]

D
D
Bastien's 'Easy Piano Classics' is a great book - I hate to say it, but I've been playing out of it for a number of years now. Not too easy - not too hard.

C
C
Which is the best book to get the basic course or the all in one book? thanks for reading my post.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clayts
Which is the best book to get the basic course or the all in one book? thanks for reading my post.

neither lol jk. the all in one grin

S
S
I found this link which will enable you to listen to all the pieces in the Bastien book.

http://www.virtualpianist.com/HOF/player/pianomusicplayer.php

Seems to be a very good book. I am just finishing Alfred's book 1 and thinking about asking my teacher if i can use this book alongside Alfred's book 2.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by steveMac
I found this link which will enable you to listen to all the pieces in the Bastien book.

http://www.virtualpianist.com/HOF/player/pianomusicplayer.php

Seems to be a very good book. I am just finishing Alfred's book 1 and thinking about asking my teacher if i can use this book alongside Alfred's book 2.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that link.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! I really did a job on my arm when I fell two weeks ago. Nothing was broken, but I had wrist, elbow, finger and shoulder pain, had trouble opening jars, cutting bagels, driving, carrying laundry downstairs, etc. I just started playing piano again yesterday, and can last about 5 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times a day. I started re-learning Amazing Grace from Book 1. I really like the piece, and never really got it sounding good the first time around. It's coming back pretty quickly this time. Today was also the first time I've driven my car in the two weeks. Everything is feeling a lot better, but still hurts if I overdo. So I'm taking it slow.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Are you seeing a physio for your arm, too?

I went back to Amazing Grace this weekend, too, & I can almost play it now. For some reason I found it really difficult when I was doing Alfred I, & never did pass it. Now that I'm almost at the end of Beyer I wondered if I could play AG now. Almost - much better than before!!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Page 115 of 190 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission