Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2060958 - 04/07/13 07:07 PM Hand positioning when playing.
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
When playing or practicing I always keep my hands on the keys. I never lift up or bounce around. I was practicing yesterday and my step daughter brought it to my attention. I never noticed it before. My hands are almost flat and I never bring my hands down in any rush to play anything. I bring the hands down to the keyboard then begin to play. What are your hand positions when playing and how do you find them beneficial ?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2062040 - 04/09/13 04:24 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I used to play like this, and my teacher has been working on having me avoid this (on jumps). I suppose if you have a long time to move from one position to the next, there is no problem staying in contact with the keys. But if the speed picks up, it is actually faster to move the hand in an arc. In addition, if I'm sticking to they keys all the time, there is usually a fear factor involved, and that fear leads to unnecessary tightening of the arms.

What were you practicing that your daughter thought you were too close to the keys on?

#2062056 - 04/09/13 04:55 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Mazeppa, but now I understand the thoughts of an arc. That's the way my grandfather taught me to move from one area to another in an arc. That's what is so nice about this forum the opportunity to realize and learn. Thank you.

#2062070 - 04/09/13 05:30 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
When playing or practicing I always keep my hands on the keys. I never lift up or bounce around. I was practicing yesterday and my step daughter brought it to my attention. I never noticed it before. My hands are almost flat and I never bring my hands down in any rush to play anything. I bring the hands down to the keyboard then begin to play. What are your hand positions when playing and how do you find them beneficial ?
To me, posts like this illustrate the difficulties and pitfalls in trying to use words to describe technique.

It seems virtually impossible to always keep hands on the keys. That would require sliding along the keyboard while the fingers are touching the keys. In addition to being impossible, all good pianists lift their hands off the keys when there is some free time and under many other circumstances. Also, if the piece is difficult not rushing to play some passage or notes seems virtually impossible. Of course, maybe the OP means something different from what most would mean by not rushing or keeping hands on the keys.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/09/13 05:33 PM)

#2062079 - 04/09/13 05:51 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA

Keeping your fingers on the keys all the time is a good practice, and one that I follow religiously whenever the writing is primarily passagework and smaller chords. But as far as the shape of the hand, there are lots of different touches that you should be using depending on the sound you're trying to produce. If I'm comfortable with a wash of sound, I flatten out and use the pads. If I want a more brilliant or incisive sound, I curl my fingers more towards the nail and in some cases even play on the nails to make every note sparkle a little more.

#2062082 - 04/09/13 05:56 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
You were practicing Mazeppa while doing this? Any chance you can post a video recording of it?

#2062085 - 04/09/13 06:10 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Staying close to the keys is what my teacher would call "economy of motion." It uses the least amount of finger and hand energy, saves time and depends more on the arms, shoulders and back for lateral movement and volume. It also allows for better tone and smoother rapid passage work. The idea of lifting and dropping in an arch is, of course, necessary when jumping from place to place, but even that arch shouldn't be too high in the air because it costs time. If you watch some of the pros carefully, you will see they stay fairly close to the keys.

I was originally taught to play with a high palm arch and high, curved fingers which all contributed to my overall tension. It sounds to me like you are doing fine but it's hard to tell without actually seeing you play.

I think it would be helpful, Serge, if you could post a video so we could all see what you are doing.

Deborah

#2062109 - 04/09/13 07:43 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: gooddog]

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Staying close to the keys is what my teacher would call "economy of motion."
Yes, but this is not what the OP said("always keep my hands on the keys") in his opening post. In addition, most(really all I'd say)professional pianists quite frequently lift their hands quite high(say 6")off the keys when this opportunity is available or appropriate. And sometimes much further than that. Of course, this doesn't mean there aren't passages where lifting one's hands would be very inappropriate or impossible.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/09/13 08:14 PM)

#2062113 - 04/09/13 07:56 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
When playing or practicing I always keep my hands on the keys. I never lift up [..]

The key words here, "always" and "never" should surely not be taken literally, otherwise I would think that the OP would have considerable difficulty playing some pieces well.

It's not practical to try to make a generalization about hand position, since hand position really depends upon context, doesn't it?

Regards,

#2062117 - 04/09/13 08:01 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: BruceD]

Originally Posted By: BruceD
When playing or practicing I always keep my hands on the keys. I never lift up [..]

The key words here, "always" and "never" should surely not be taken literally, otherwise I would think that the OP would have considerable difficulty playing some pieces well.

It's not practical to try to make a generalization about hand position, since hand position really depends upon context, doesn't it?

Regards,
I'd say one should not use "always" or "never" unless they mean it. Here the OP chose to use both of them. In terms of playing the piano even words like "usually" or "infrequently" would be far too strong IMO.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/09/13 08:16 PM)

#2062206 - 04/09/13 11:59 PM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

I am still learning the notes. It will be several months before I can video tape it. But I also need to address my performance anxiety. My daughter who likes classical music but is more in tune with alternative rock and roll has been watching my purchased video tapes. I have over 100 video tapes including Richter, Sokolov, Gilels, Horowitz, Rubenstein, Pollini etc. Really diverse selection of pianists and repertoire. My wife says that when I am at the clinic over the last year she puts in a different video and listens and watches. She is a freshman here at ULL and wants to transfer to Tulane in a couple of years. So all of a sudden at the dinner table she critiques my practice etc. She looks at my scores see's what I am practicing and finds a tape. She is 19 and never did this before and I am flattered at her attention to detail. She is maturing before my eyes and her comments are insightful. So now after I practice for a few hours she texts me " Sounds very good must it be so dry when you practice? More color! This is after practicing Mazeppa for two weeks. Tonight I asked my wife is Courtney coming home soon ? No at school until 7 pm . So I try to get two hours in before she comes home. I wonder how long it will take for her to notice my new approach?

#2062220 - 04/10/13 12:41 AM Re: Hand positioning when playing. [Re: Serge Marinkovic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
The most mistakes happen before the final product is compiled. So, the most improvement can be made in the process before the final product is completed. Play something besides Mazeppa if you want. Just need to see your hands move.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, 36251, Art_Vandelay, 42 invisible), 1468 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156342 Topics
2296222 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission