Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2063459 - 04/12/13 12:02 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: LesCharles73]
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
The one synth program he played is in fact a bit glitchy on the new hardware. That will get sorted shortly.

The other sounds in the machine - EPs, Clavs, strings, etc from our PC3, plus synths and guitars from the Kore 64 ROM have received very positive feedback so far.

The piano programs are preliminary - we only started programming with the new samples about a week ago.
The new samples are a bit more versatile than the older ones, with a lot more harmonic content, esp in the mids.

Hoping to see a few more Messe videos... after that, we'll be releasing better quality audio demos in the upcoming weeks.

Be sure to check in at Keyboard Corner as well as our facebook page for more updates. http://www.facebook.com/kurzweilmusicsystems

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2064721 - 04/14/13 11:36 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
henrik Offline

Loc: malaysia
kurzweil's new product prices have become very competitive. nice stage pianos costing way less than Rolands/Yamahas. I didn't like triplestrike, sounded thin compared to my clavinova clp330. so I'm excited with kurzweil artis if the price is around RD300gx

#2064782 - 04/15/13 03:06 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Dave Weiser]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser
Forgot to add.... we will of course be releasing high quality audio demos of the Artis as we get closer to its release date. Release is on track for July, which means it will hit stores by September.

Is that September 2013? .... I mean we have to ask after all it IS a Kurzweil and its usually a long time between drinks these days ...

#2065606 - 04/16/13 03:16 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oS272H9AfbY

Don't know if it was already posted. Thought it gave a better impression of the AP sound...

Cheers

#2065697 - 04/16/13 07:32 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
HwyStar Online   content

Now that video sounds pretty good JFP. Thanks for the link!

#2066103 - 04/17/13 04:50 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FoKf-Nno_Fo

And another one - that also demonstrates the difference between the old triple strike and the new steinway. Recorded on the mic, but nevertheless you can hear the difference. Closes the discussion about re-using the old samples or not IMHO.

Sidenote: funny enough he talks about noticeable improvements in the low and high register; not mentioning the mid register. That region is for some people where they disliked the triple sound as I understood so far. For sure a coincidence - but it caught my attention..

Some online stores list the Artis already as available soon and pre-order now . I understood "soon" is at the end of 2013 or later, so seems a little bit premature unless Kurzweil can (for the first time ;-) speed up the development and shipment.

#2066372 - 04/18/13 04:58 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
I agree. September is a long wait. I don't understand why they're annoucing the Artis already. A Summer NAMM presentation would make more sense. Still, it's a very interesting DP! As of now - I want one!

#2066375 - 04/18/13 05:24 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yes sounds much better than before. I take back my criticism!

#2066455 - 04/18/13 09:32 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: thomsurf]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: thomsurf
I agree. September is a long wait. I don't understand why they're annoucing the Artis already.!

The smaller companies do that a bit ....

#2066564 - 04/18/13 01:55 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Yes, that does sound a fair bit better than the first demo. I'm sure the new Artis will find its customers and maybe attract a new crowd with these nice updates.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2066639 - 04/18/13 04:14 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ

Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!!

So Dave Weiser:

1. Is the Artis stretched and/or looped? If so, why?
2. Are pedal / key sympathetic resonances implemented? If so, how?

#2066911 - 04/19/13 04:42 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUFnuH...p;v=Wnqde1DA2TA

New AP from around 1:30 ~ followed by the old triple I guess...

#2071913 - 04/27/13 01:42 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Don't think this one has been posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-BypJ0mCA

I wish we would get some official comments regarding the questions concerning adjustemt of pedal noise, sym resonance, duplex , hammer noise etc.

Did Kurz go down some of these paths with the Artis?

#2072318 - 04/27/13 06:00 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: dewster]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: dewster
So Dave Weiser:

*crickets*

Rep shows up out of the blue to promote a product then completely ignores someone wanting to know something about said product. Were my questions too technical? Or is PW too much of a backwater full of hicks for the big boys to care about?

#2072331 - 04/27/13 06:16 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Dave Weiser]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser

For more updates on the Artis, pop over to the Keyboard Corner forum, where I'll be posting/reading a bit more frequently.

As always, if anyone has a pressing Kurz-related issue, feel free to shoot me an email. dave@ycrdi.com

Dave Weiser
Kurzweil R&D

I checked out the thread on Keyboard Corner and it hasn't been active in a while, and I don't think these questions have been answered there but Dave does seem to hang out there and he has provided his contact info.

#2121842 - 07/23/13 09:29 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Seeing the demise of Infinite Response and VAX; is Kurzweil still alive ? No mention of the Artis anywhere since the Musik Messe. Promised sound demo's are completely absent, as is any mention of the product on the Kurzweil site(s). Since the most prominent Kurzweil advocate Dave Weiser seems to have jumped ship a while ago, I wonder if we'll see a similar website tag as on the Infinite Response site anytime soon ???

Hope not, but what's cooking ?

#2122198 - 07/24/13 07:41 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
BeowulfX Offline

Originally Posted By: JFP
Seeing the demise of Infinite Response and VAX; is Kurzweil still alive ? No mention of the Artis anywhere since the Musik Messe. Promised sound demo's are completely absent, as is any mention of the product on the Kurzweil site(s). Since the most prominent Kurzweil advocate Dave Weiser seems to have jumped ship a while ago, I wonder if we'll see a similar website tag as on the Infinite Response site anytime soon ???

Hope not, but what's cooking ?

Waiting for any update(s) too about the Kurzweil Artis but Google search only results to no new ones other than previous NAMM 2013 a few months ago...
PX-5S PC361 PX-320 Graphite 49 Pianoteq 4.5-Standard+Bluethner EWQL Symphonic Orchestra & some additional VSTi X1222FX B1030A KS40A DAW: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 1TB+1TB+120GB-SSD Audiobox E-MU XMIDI 2x2 Sonar 8 Pearl Acoustic Drumset
Contemplating on: Yamaha MOXF6, Korg Kronos X61 or Roland FA-06

#2122224 - 07/24/13 09:12 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Have you chaps onsidered contacting Kurzweil to enquire about the latest information regarding availability?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2122233 - 07/24/13 09:49 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You crossed me with that question ; I did today. I understand what you mean; creating a stir without contacting the company first is sort of....

When they (Kurzweil) provide more info, I'll post it.

#2122240 - 07/24/13 10:01 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: dewster]
Mike_Martin Offline

So Dave Weiser:

*crickets*

Rep shows up out of the blue to promote a product then completely ignores someone wanting to know something about said product. Were my questions too technical? Or is PW too much of a backwater full of hicks for the big boys to care about?

Dave is no longer with Kurzweil.

#2122335 - 07/24/13 01:20 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Mike_Martin]
Big McLargehuge Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin
So Dave Weiser:

*crickets*

Dave is no longer with Kurzweil.

Exactly, was going to post this. Now, one could call that in itself a cause for concern, though I have no idea why he left! smile All I know is I love my pc3 and more choices in pro gear is a great thing, so I hope Kurzweil gets it going. Dave answered several of my questions about my pc3 on different forums and they'll have to go far to replace that level of involvement IMO. It was a big reason why I made my purchase. I'd say the same thing about Mike Martin just above me based on his involvement with Casio stuff smile

#2122349 - 07/24/13 02:01 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Big McLargehuge]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
My Nord Piano 2 is doing the job well enough currently, but definitely looking forward to checking this out when it hits.

I do wish they would've went with the same Fatar TP40L action as on the flagship PC3X/PC3K8. I'd feel a lot better about it. Didn't dig the action on their newest SP5-8 when I played it at NAMM. I hope it's different then that.

Yeah, it's weird there's no info up on their site months after it was announced. confused

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#2122390 - 07/24/13 03:39 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
It appears that Dave has started his own company, DW Consulting.

#2130575 - 08/10/13 12:19 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: LesCharles73]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
It appears to be available. I'd still like to play it first to see how the Fatar TP100 action interacts with the new piano sample.
http://kurzweil.com/news/51/

Same weight & length as the CP50 fwiw. 46 Lbs. & 54.5 " wide. 2"s deeper then the CP50 at 15.5" .

For quick comparison-my Nord Piano 2 comes in at 40.3 lbs & 50.7" wide, 13.4" on the depth.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#2130601 - 08/10/13 02:48 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

3 sensor keybed ??? Aftertouch ?

€ 1199,- in The shop. Resonable price. Don't think it has any resonance effects though (string resonance, sympathic resonance). Only a damper resonance sample; which isn't the same as dynamic resonance processing algorithms. I don't understand the weight actually, most Fatar boards with tp100 are much less kilograms.

Edited by JFP (08/10/13 09:15 AM)

#2131568 - 08/12/13 07:22 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
BeowulfX Offline

With the same hammer action keyboard (TP100)as the SP4-8, hopefully this will be relatively better than the LK40GH action used in their SPS4-8 and SP-5 -- which I didn't personally like when I tried playing these latter two

So the Artis supports half-damper pedalling...this gives it an advantage over the PX-5S Pro in this aspect:

The specs page of the Artis states:
"2 switch pedal inputs, each supporting single or dual, switch or half-damper* pedals (1 switch/sustain pedal is included)...(*for MIDI controller functionality only)"

But only 256 programs (?) as opposed to the lower SP5-8 which has over a 800+ factory presets shocked ...Did the new piano samples eat up much of the ROM space?

I wonder how much polyphony will the new piano samples of the Artis take up from the 128-note currently available and will this leave enough room to layer 3 other sounds?

The EQ knobs: these are not listed as "programmable/assignable". It would have been nice if these can be configured to function as knobs for LFO, Reso etc. as well cool

And yup, no AT and no mention of a 3-sensor keybed frown

And no mention if the ARTIS transmits high-res MIDI too...

But hey, it seems the long-standing complaint on Kurzweil boards is the lack of a better, updated piano sound -- hopefully this bridges the gap and puts it at par with some of the better DPs out there if not the flagship DP models of other manufacturers, that is...

Edited by BeowulfX (08/13/13 12:21 PM)
PX-5S PC361 PX-320 Graphite 49 Pianoteq 4.5-Standard+Bluethner EWQL Symphonic Orchestra & some additional VSTi X1222FX B1030A KS40A DAW: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 1TB+1TB+120GB-SSD Audiobox E-MU XMIDI 2x2 Sonar 8 Pearl Acoustic Drumset
Contemplating on: Yamaha MOXF6, Korg Kronos X61 or Roland FA-06

#2132726 - 08/14/13 10:27 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
karlosserio Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Any new video releases on the Artis?

#2132828 - 08/14/13 02:11 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yup; to sum up some observations made here :

- No 3 sensors, despite the fact that more recent FATAR keybeds DO come with three sensors (Numa Concert / Physis Piano...)
- No aftertouch, despite the fact that most TP100 based boards DO feature aftertouch (Numa Nano, Acuna 88 ...)
- A Kurzweil with knobs instead of only faders , but strangely enough not programmable , like for cutoff , but only fixed master EQ
- over 20 KG, despite the fact that most other TP100 based boards are much lighter (Numa Nano, Numa Piano...)
- Only new feature here is one (ONE!) new sample set for the grand piano preset. That's all folks. The rest is a stripped down version of the PC3 + Kore64 series in all respects ; sound-wise, control-wise, routing and programming wise etc
- Engine and processing seems to be a continuation of what Kurzweil has been using for years now; 128 polyphony Kurzweil chipset, with most probably the same memory slots as can be found in the PC3 series (no gigabytes of memory addressing) , same KDFX unit, KB3 organ etc. Not bad , but a bit dated.
- there are no good sound demo's (yet); the current online demo's make no sense if you want to show off your new grand piano .

All in all , considering the price, it still seems to be a nice product, but IMHO it could have been better with just a few tweaks , like programmable knobs, aftertouch and 3rd sensor as mentioned above. Wouldn't' have cost the world. What I dont understand is why they didn't bring out another PC3 model, keeping all the good stuff, throwing in the new grand preset, replace the heavy TP40 with the TP100 and be done with it. No stripping down of features required...

#2132835 - 08/14/13 02:49 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

- No 3 sensors, despite the fact that more recent FATAR keybeds DO come with three sensors (Numa Concert / Physis Piano...)

I don't think TP100 is available with three sensors, only their heavier boards.

No aftertouch, despite the fact that most TP100 based boards DO feature aftertouch (Numa Nano, Acuna 88 ...)

TP100 from Studiologic (Numa, Acuna, all the same company as Fatar) has AT. TP100 from Nord and Kurzweil don't. I don't know if it's a cost decision, or whether Fatar might not offer it outside their own brands. It's a bit curious that no aftertouch option is mentioned on Fatar's TP100 page
http://www.fatar.com/pages/TP100LR.html
Every other model of Fatar piano action lists AT as an option... but not the TP100. It's not impossible that they may be reserving that as a competitive advantage for their house brands.

#2133077 - 08/14/13 10:34 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: LesCharles73]
Charles Cohen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
FWIW --

From the Kurzweil website:

Quote:
The centerpiece of the Artis Stage piano is an entirely new German 9' grand piano sound offering a level of sound quality and playability that raises the bar for stage pianos in this price range.

Two clauses here:

. . . It's a new sample set, not a re-work.

. . . It raises the bar for stage pianos in this price range.

Not "It makes obsolete all our current models". Just "it's better than other $2,200 DP's".

I await the DPBSD test . . . <g>

. Charles

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, angga888, Almaviva, ASLevelMusicTheory, Alux, 42 invisible), 1480 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251485 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
28 minutes 4 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
30 minutes 24 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission