Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2062635 - 04/10/13 11:01 PM Kurzweil Artis...
HwyStar Offline

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2062643 - 04/10/13 11:15 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Stevesie Offline

Is it just me, or does that thing sound like a real piano?

#2062679 - 04/11/13 12:55 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Good to see that Kurzweil is out there developing new samples! They had been using that old piano sample with minor tweeks along the way for about the past 20 years. Hopefully this and subsequent instruments will put them back in the spotlight. Sounded pretty good too, given the mediocre quality of the audio in the video. I look forward to seeing some technical specs (especially relating to the action). I imagine they're still using Fatar, but we'll see. I have played some surprisingly decent Fatar actions and their new ones are said to be very worthy.

#2062685 - 04/11/13 01:08 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
The action is Fatar TP100 according to Dave Weiser of Kurzweil. He made that comment over at Keyboard Corner forum.

#2062699 - 04/11/13 01:35 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Stevesie]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Stevesie

Is it just me, or don't these raw YouTube event floor videos give any good impression at all about how the piano sounds ?! Can't judge anything about the sound in these vids other than that it sort of sounds like a piano, like any other DP or synth can sound like a piano.

For the rest of the discussion about the artis see the musikmesse 2013 thread. Much has been asked and said about it there already and there is a link to a forum where David Weiss (Kurzweil) participates in the discussion. Cheers , J

#2062701 - 04/11/13 01:42 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I'm hoping it interfaces with computers etc.

#2062715 - 04/11/13 02:24 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Dave B]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Untill
Originally Posted By: Dave B
I'm hoping it interfaces with computers etc.

Until now they always did. The PC3 series quite well actually (USB); with a nice editor as a bonus.

#2062757 - 04/11/13 05:29 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
MVshabeer2 Offline

Probably it will be the same sample as synthogy ivory.

I read somewhere on the internet kurzweil is working with synthogy for next piano (may be just rumor).

Waiting for good demos.

90's triple strike sounds decent on VAST, so this must sound fantastic.

#2062761 - 04/11/13 05:44 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
At 5:06 on that video is that godawful Kurzweil noise. Aarrgh! There is no way on God's earth that is a brand new sound set. Audio is in mono, which is a bummer too, but it just sounds like the classic Kurzweil sound - with those bell like odd notes in the mid range again - which make the sounds INSTANTLY recognisable (that's not a compliment in this case!). Shame.

Who buys the nonsense about recording and sampling for ten years? A one fingered, one armed blind man could set up and record a piano in less than ten years!

I've an idea they have taken the original Kurzweil sounds and fiddled around with them endlessly (yes, possibly ten years, given the difficulties the company has faced) to get something more out of them (more dynamic layers for instance, longer attack samples, who knows).

Anyway, that's enough of my groundless suspicions!

Ps, 7:37 - the "Thriller" sound - cheese!!!

#2062766 - 04/11/13 06:00 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

@EssBrace ; I found it hard to judge at all. Sounded pretty bad on my Focal monitors. Mucho mucho bass and especially mid sound and the hihger range very soft and distance, like from another recording. Quite unbalanced. Can't believe this is how it sounds for real, but probably has more to do with the YouTube recording (bad setup/ bad equipment or both). First let's hear some decent demo files , before final judgement.

Hope you're not right by the way. The old original Kurz piano is still coming of old tape recordings (pre digital age). I really don't believe they choose that as a source again - if they did , we'll that would settle it for most of us I think and render Kurzweil out of the equation. Let's wait and see (hear)...

#2062778 - 04/11/13 07:04 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: JFP
Much has been asked and said about it there already and there is a link to a forum where David Weiss (Kurzweil) participates in the discussion. Cheers , J

You know JFP, you might want to register over there at KC/Music Player forums and ask some of these questions about the Artis to Dave Weiser himself. He's in Boston on East Coast Standard time, so I'm guessing 3-4 hours , maybe less, he'd be checking into that forum.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2062782 - 04/11/13 07:43 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: EssBrace]
MVshabeer2 Offline

I have noticed the bell too. smile

#2062789 - 04/11/13 07:57 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
@EssBrace, regarding that first recording starting at ~5 minutes into the video, I was wondering if it was me or if it really sounded as "cheap" as it did. I know Kurzweil has had their "trademark" sound many artists seek but I can't really get myself over it.

The middle part with that more classical piece, I thought it actually sounded fairly decent although the YouTube video might not do it justice.

As for the other sounds, well... I guess I'd have to be a sucker for Kurzweil to get a kick out of those. Didn't like them unfortunately.

Edited by Clayman (04/11/13 07:58 AM)

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2062795 - 04/11/13 08:40 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: MVshabeer2]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: MVshabeer2

The Ivory II package is a collection of various different pianos, one of which is almost 50GB in size.

I read somewhere on the internet kurzweil is working with synthogy for next piano (may be just rumor).

Source please.

Synthogy's founders George Taylor and Joe Ierardi previously worked for Kurzweil Music Systems - perhaps this is what you're referring to?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2062802 - 04/11/13 08:59 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: EssBrace]
Paolo70 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi all,

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
At 5:06 on that video is that godawful Kurzweil noise. Aarrgh! There is no way on God's earth that is a brand new sound set. Audio is in mono, which is a bummer too, but it just sounds like the classic Kurzweil sound - with those bell like odd notes in the mid range again - which make the sounds INSTANTLY recognisable (that's not a compliment in this case!). Shame.

I recommend being very cautious about evaluating sample quality from a mono recording. If the mixing down from stereo to mono is was not done very carefully, phase clashes between stereo channels may well have wreaked havoc in the original sound. I suspect this is the case with this recording because it sounds illogically canned.

Ciao,
Paolo

#2062998 - 04/11/13 04:06 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Kawai James]
MVshabeer2 Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

The Ivory II package is a collection of various different pianos, one of which is almost 50GB in size.

Source please.

Synthogy's founders George Taylor and Joe Ierardi previously worked for Kurzweil Music Systems - perhaps this is what you're referring to?

Cheers,
James
x

James,
I cant remember where (have been a year or 2), but what I read was something like "Kurzweil working with synthogy for new piano".

This doesn't mean that they have used ivory samples.

Also the above statement will be just a rumor. I don't know.

#2063002 - 04/11/13 04:12 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
MVshabeer2 Offline

#2063021 - 04/11/13 04:48 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: MVshabeer2]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sounds very Kurzweil-ish to me. Will be interesting to hear some good quality recordings in true stereo. But it really does have that sound!

All these years later, what are the chances of them finding either the same source piano or a completely different piano voiced to create those weird bell-like mid notes? And what are the chances of the sampling processes coming up with just that sound again, what, 15, 20 years after the original samples? Zilch, that what the chances are. I'm jumping to conclusions I know but I'm sticking my neck out and saying these new sounds are VERY CLOSELY related to the original Kurzweil samples. It's just an unmistakeable sound.

#2063026 - 04/11/13 04:53 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: EssBrace]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Well, the "Kurzweil sound" was very desirable to lots of people for a long time... maybe an improved version of "that" sound for Kurzweil is more sensible than going for a whole different piano sound. So maybe they are from the same source piano.

#2063033 - 04/11/13 05:20 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe, if, could be, is possible ....as long as they don't provide proper sound demo's we don't know for sure. I guess Dave won't tell us if it was indeed of the same (old) recording. So we'll have to judge from the sound files when they become available. Again , I personally can't tell what I'm hearing from these few raw YouTube vids; is it a bad recording , wrong equipment , wrong wiring and/or settings; want decent demo's that are directly output from the Kurzweil in the best and most clean possible way and with some good variations in phrases to judge.

Pro's ; decent weight, after touch, some nice controller features and hopefully a good collection of the best Kurzweil sounds.

Con's ; it's tp-100 , not GF (can't be), possibly not any other new sounds - apart from the grand piano, possibly no modern features for the AP like half-damping and such (but we don't know yet).

Still much guesswork. We'll see...

#2063036 - 04/11/13 05:23 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: JFP]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
Originally Posted By: Stevesie

Is it just me, or don't these raw YouTube event floor videos give any good impression at all about how the piano sounds ?! Can't judge anything about the sound in these vids other than that it sort of sounds like a piano, like any other DP or synth can sound like a piano.

Is it just me or did someone not actually
watch & listen to the DP demo - they "killed"
the handheld mic and took direct audio into
the camera... it sounds just fine.

#2063189 - 04/11/13 11:27 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Scott Hamlin]
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Here's some info on the Artis in response to questions/speculation..

The new Artis 6 strike sample was recorded within the last 2 years in a top notch studio. We auditioned several pianos and chose the one that we thought would be most versatile. We spent a good amount of time processing it with our proprietary software tools. Just within the past week or so, we have started voicing (programming) with these samples. What's being played at Messe are just preliminary programs.

It is definitely not the same piano that we had sampled for our older instruments. Once y'all get to listen to a better recording on good speakers or with good cans, you'll clearly be able to hear the difference. Apart from the recording itself being a bit higher quality, with larger samples and more roots, you'll easily be able to notice that the two pianos just sound quite *different* from one another.

Also, we are definitely not working with Synthogy or sharing samples with them. They're a great company and make killer products... all of us at Kurz are fans.

For more updates on the Artis, pop over to the Keyboard Corner forum, where I'll be posting/reading a bit more frequently.

As always, if anyone has a pressing Kurz-related issue, feel free to shoot me an email. dave@ycrdi.com

Dave Weiser
Kurzweil R&D

#2063194 - 04/11/13 11:34 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Dave Weiser Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Forgot to add.... we will of course be releasing high quality audio demos of the Artis as we get closer to its release date. Release is on track for July, which means it will hit stores by September.

#2063201 - 04/11/13 11:43 PM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Thanks for posting Dave!

Best of luck with the new board!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2063218 - 04/12/13 12:15 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Clayman]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Clayman
As for the other sounds, well... I guess I'd have to be a sucker for Kurzweil to get a kick out of those. Didn't like them unfortunately.

Heh. In no way do those two random 'legacy sounds' reflect what a Kurz can do or sound like. I don't know why the presenter chose those - I would have loved to hear him play something on the rich orchestral patches.

Edited by LesCharles73 (04/12/13 12:15 AM)

#2063283 - 04/12/13 03:54 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Dave Weiser]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser
The new Artis 6 strike sample was recorded within the last 2 years in a top notch studio. We auditioned several pianos and chose the one that we thought would be most versatile. We spent a good amount of time processing it with our proprietary software tools. Just within the past week or so, we have started voicing (programming) with these samples.

Interesting. I'm wrong. But it still sounds like Kurzweil.

The demo guy says - "recording and sampling and engineering it for years" which is a bit of an exaggeration!

Six dynamic layers though - not too shabby for a hardware product.

#2063286 - 04/12/13 04:10 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: HwyStar]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"The new Artis 6 strike sample was recorded within the last 2 years in a top notch studio. We auditioned several pianos and chose the one that we thought would be most versatile. We spent a good amount of time processing it with our proprietary software tools."

So we chose the one....that we used the first time for the triple strike samples , haha ;-) That would explain what EssBrace is hearing. Or it's the "proprietary software tools" that give it the typical Kurzweil mid kind of piano-touch...

Just kidding of course; I assume it is indeed a brand new (other) piano and hope the tools don't give any piano-sample the typical three-strike sound finish.

Let's be patient and wait for the better demo's of the more final AP sounds. September is still a looooong way off.

#2063305 - 04/12/13 05:49 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Dave Weiser]
MVshabeer2 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser
Forgot to add.... we will of course be releasing high quality audio demos of the Artis as we get closer to its release date. Release is on track for July, which means it will hit stores by September.

So that's for Summer NAMM,
Means don't hope for the K-successor frown

#2063307 - 04/12/13 06:03 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: LesCharles73]
Clayman Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: LesCharles73

Heh. In no way do those two random 'legacy sounds' reflect what a Kurz can do or sound like. I don't know why the presenter chose those - I would have loved to hear him play something on the rich orchestral patches.

So would I, I guess. I understand the presenter may have wanted to appeal to the fans of Kurzweil but I for one would like to hear something more... hmm, realistic?

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown

#2063439 - 04/12/13 11:25 AM Re: Kurzweil Artis... [Re: Clayman]
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Clayman
So would I, I guess. I understand the presenter may have wanted to appeal to the fans of Kurzweil but I for one would like to hear something more... hmm, realistic?

Yeah, me too. Those out-worldly synth sounds are on almost every keyboard. Even old Kurzweils. I would have liked to have heard those new horns he spoke of. That said, the presenter didn't appear to be much of a hardware guy (Dave said in another forum that he's pretty new, so bare with him) and I don't think the demo board was fully programmed yet. It probably came straight from the lab.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Odd
by Minnesota Marty
10/01/14 01:41 PM
Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement
by johnbarnesiii
10/01/14 01:08 PM
Joshua Bell's second concert draws large crowds
by pianoloverus
10/01/14 01:02 PM
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
10/01/14 12:09 PM
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
10/01/14 09:39 AM
Who's Online
155 registered (alans, Adypiano, ajames, Al LaPorte, 48 invisible), 1779 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157923 Topics
2319285 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission