2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2000124 12/16/12 07:09 AM
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Just got the newsletter from Summerkeys for the 2013 session. If you are not familiar with Summerkeys it is an adult summer music camp in Lubec, Maine. They have updated their web page too.

New this year is a "piano trio privilege" option. Two faculty members will play with you everyday and then perform a piano trio. The repertoire you can choose from includes Haydn, Beethoven and others. See the website for details.

It's too early to tell if I can go this year - if I can somehow swing it I will. I have no connection with Summerkeys, just a satisfied customer. I wrote a report about my trip a couple of years ago that you can read here.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I've been wanting to do this since you told us your story two years ago. I'm trying to arrange to be there the first week in July. The vacation time, plane fares, lodging and entry to Summerkeys must all align.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think we should all go to this as it sounds like a ton of fun. We could play piano, eat lobster, play more piano, eat more lobster, play more piano and then eat even more lobster.

We could all stay at Peytons place too (for free). Plus, he will cook us all delicious meals every evening. (He doesn't know about this yet, but I'll talk to him).

Sam, in all seriousness, I wish we had something like this near us as it does sound like a great time. Lots of us like to read your write up that you do on it each year. More pics are mandatory this year too.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

We could all stay at Peytons place too (for free). Plus, he will cook us all delicious meals every evening. (He doesn't know about this yet, but I'll talk to him).

....yea right. Bring your tent. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For me it's one of those "So close and yet so far" things. My art shows go from May till October and I'm pretty much straight out. If ever things mellow out (and I start actually making money again) I plan to do Summerkeys.

SH, I'm not close enough to "stay with". I'm a good three hours from Lubec. I do have a friend with a house right there on the water so I could stay with her. I'd have to see about tent space for you... smile

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
It's SERIOUS now! We have plane tickets and a rental house for a week in Lubek. Now Summerkeys just needs to accept my application. Would LOVE it if more PW folks were there. We really could party.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I think FarmGirl is going sometime summer 2013 - not sure when.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Yep. I'm gonna go around the 1st part of July. I tried to get my hubby going together but he would not go with me. Is anyone going around 7/4?

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I'm going the week of July 22. First time for me, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 12/17/12 10:51 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
I am an avid, avid, avid reader. I post infrequently, but that's just usually how I am! I read Sam's narrative before and thought this would be a great opportunity! Do the spots fill quickly? I am pretty new to piano but practice daily... I have been playing for two or three years. Is this a program for beginners?

Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HalfStep
I am an avid, avid, avid reader. I post infrequently, but that's just usually how I am! I read Sam's narrative before and thought this would be a great opportunity! Do the spots fill quickly? I am pretty new to piano but practice daily... I have been playing for two or three years. Is this a program for beginners?

There are no admission requirements and it is open to all levels. Even absolute beginners are welcome. The two times that I have been there are always people of every playing level, not only on piano, but the other instruments too.

I think that the weeks after the middle of July are the busiest. I have only been the last week of July, and there are so many people the Friday "recital" takes quite a while. If you look at the number of piano teachers for this year, they have more after 7/8 through August.

By the way, for you really good players, if you want to study with a Julliard trained teacher, go when Charles Jones is there and see if you can request him as your teacher. I have heard him play recitals twice, and he is just a wonderful player. My lessons have always been with Greg Biss, and he is a fantastic teacher, full of energy and very knowledgeable.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Farm girl I just sent off my deposit and app for July 1-4 at Summerkeys. Hope to meet you there. We had a piano party last night and played Christmas music. My teacher played a superb arrangement of Claire de lune mixed with Silent Night...just beautiful. I played a piano arrangement (Mark Hayes) of Brightest and Best...a piece I'd never heard before. It is an old folk piece from Kentucky apparently.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Oh WiseBuff and FarmGirl - what a great deal! Have a great time!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I just registered for the week of 8/25. It may be very very crowded though. Is there any other person going at the same time? I opted for a class for two pianos four paws. Have Mozart sonata for two pianos in D in mind.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I went to Summerkeys for the first time last year. I plan to go either the last week in June or the first week in July. I also have a friend that is going with me this year that also plays the piano.
Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by HalfStep

There are no admission requirements and it is open to all levels. Even absolute beginners are welcome. The two times that I have been there are always people of every playing level, not only on piano, but the other instruments too.

I think that the weeks after the middle of July are the busiest. I have only been the last week of July, and there are so many people the Friday "recital" takes quite a while. If you look at the number of piano teachers for this year, they have more after 7/8 through August.

By the way, for you really good players, if you want to study with a Julliard trained teacher, go when Charles Jones is there and see if you can request him as your teacher. I have heard him play recitals twice, and he is just a wonderful player. My lessons have always been with Greg Biss, and he is a fantastic teacher, full of energy and very knowledgeable.

Sam

Oh! Sam, did you realize you got a lesson from the uncle of Jonathan Biss! Did u know that? I just saw Jonathan Biss at the Carnegie Hall.

Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, that is cool isn't it? I have no idea if the uncle ever gave the nephew a lesson. If he did then I could say that I had the same teacher as Jonathan Biss!

Greg Biss's mother was also a famous cellist, which would be Jonathan's grandmother. The whole family is musical.

But this year I'll have a different teacher at Summerkeys since I am going so early - no idea who...

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm thinking longly of Summerkeys right now but know with my job sich and family obligations, it's not to be.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Jonathan's grand mother was not just a good celloist but an incredibly famous one. Samuel Barber composed cello music for her. Quite a family!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raya_Garbousova#section_1

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sam,
I went the first week last year and had Bruce as my teacher. There were only 4 of us so he taught us all. I am going the last week in June this year and requested Bruce since I was so happy with him as a teacher. You can request a teacher and they try to honor the requests. If you do have Bruce, I would be interested to hear what you think. During the first week last year, there were only about 35 people in the church for the performance class and it was very low key. I usually dread performing but I found it to be less stressful than where I take during the year.
I noticed they have added violin and viola in June this year so there may be more people. I am counting the days till I go. Thanks again for your reports since that is how I found out about Summerkeys.

Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission