Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2062034 - 04/09/13 04:15 PM Royal Conservatory Music Development Program?
Miss Karen Offline

Loc: Kent, WA (Covington)
I am considering of having a few of my students go through this program in the next upcoming school year. Has anyone gone through the whole process of preparation, assessments, and completing the levels for any of your students? What do you think of the program? Thank you in advance for your answers and feedback.

Sincerely,

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2062062 - 04/09/13 04:59 PM Re: Royal Conservatory Music Development Program? [Re: Miss Karen]
kck Offline

Interested in replies here just as a piano parent. Kid here is prepping for the TAP for the first time to test this spring. He's doing level 6. It was hard picking a level for him. Level 6 rep is easy, but he's having to work fairly hard to get ready for the rest. It's an EXTREMELY expensive program so I hope it's worth it.

#2062391 - 04/10/13 01:17 PM Re: Royal Conservatory Music Development Program? [Re: Miss Karen]
MrsLois Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Hi there Miss Karen. I have had several students complete the grades of the RCM program, and I think it's a good way to go. I'm not too familiar with other programs (besides ABRSM), but I find that if you pace the preparations and use the books from the beginning of the year, students should be more than prepared. I use the Four Star Sight-Playing and Ear Training books with my kids in addition to the Repertoire, Studies, and Technique, and even the ones who I don't think are particularly musical (i.e. will drop out of piano as soon as Mom and Dad say they can!) have achieved good marks on the exams.

If you do go ahead and enrol students for the exams, make sure you sign up for a teacher number on www.rcmexaminations.org, and have your students enter your number on their exam application. This way, their exam schedule and information will show up in your account.

Good luck!

#2062905 - 04/11/13 01:02 PM Re: Royal Conservatory Music Development Program? [Re: Miss Karen]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Because Miss Karen is in the United States, she would use the U.S. version of the RCM program, the RCM Music Development Program, and do her sign ups at http://www.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/.

#2062907 - 04/11/13 01:07 PM Re: Royal Conservatory Music Development Program? [Re: Miss Karen]
MrsLois Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Ah ok.

#2062918 - 04/11/13 01:28 PM Re: Royal Conservatory Music Development Program? [Re: Miss Karen]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Miss Karen, I am an adult student currently without a teacher (though I did have a teacher for 15 months), preparing for the Music Development Program: Music Theory 3 (which one would normally be taking with Piano Level 7) and Piano Level 1. I'm much more accomplished with paper music theory than I am with playing!

I chose the low piano level for myself because I'm very nervous about my aural skills, and about my ability to memorize, and the RCM recommends that if there's a disparity between skills, to choose the lower level.

I don't know if my experience reflects that of students who work on these things from the beginning with a teacher, but what I find most fiendishly difficult about the program is the aural skills. Identifying intervals, doing playbacks, doing rhythm tapbacks -- all really hard for me.

I try to learn intervals, but the sound of them just doesn't stick solidly in my head to allow me to name them reliably.

The playbacks at level 1, which are just on do-re-mi, are fine because I can hear "low-middle-high", but the level 2 playbacks within a pentascale are a challenge because I find it really hard to pin down steps, skips, and size of skips, and I find it hard to remember pitches or identify pitches in a chord to even be able to tell where the starting note of the playback is compared to the reference chord played at the beginning.

The rhythm tapbacks drive me bananas because they're nothing like how we experience rhythm in real life, where something will be repeated several times and you can hear it within a beat structure. The RCM rhythm tapbacks don't seem to emphasize the downbeat, and you only hear the short snippet twice. Bleeeeagh. I feel like there must be some key for how to grab on to the rhythm and repeat it, but I haven't got it yet. For example, listening to normal music I can very easily hear if it's in 3 or in 4. Listening to the RCM practice rhythm tapbacks, I never have any idea which it is.

I like the practice I am getting at memorization in preparing for the test. I'm terribly slow at it, but it is what it is, and I'm learning about the process of memorization even if I am slow at it. Incidentally, I do not blame my slowness at memorization on being an adult, but on the fact that it's not something I've ever worked at before in terms of having any strategy other than brute force for memorization.

I also like just focusing on the limited set of technical skills for the exam instead of thinking that I should work all 24 scales, chord inversions, and arpeggios into my practice in a short time cycle. I knew all the scales and chords before I started preparing for the exam, so unlike someone who is having to learn the patterns from scratch, for me it just represents patient repetition and slowly building facility and accuracy. Plus I enjoy technical work, so this is a pleasant part of my practicing.

I have a wide taste in music, and am not picky about playing only hard dream pieces, so I am quite happy having the RCM repertory and etude books and playing the pieces at this level. Overall, since stopping my lessons for financial reasons, I'm in somewhat of a rebuilding pattern of going back several levels and moving back up again slowly and carefully. So this fits in with that as well.

I suspect in many ways I'm quite atypical, but I wanted to give this view of what exam preparation feels like for me.

#2062943 - 04/11/13 02:02 PM Re: Royal Conservatory Music Development Program? [Re: Miss Karen]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Karen, as you live here in Washington, I suggest you look at two existing programs, both of which are strong and easily available to you and your students.

For music evaluation, the Guild program is easily as rigorous as RCM, and much more flexible, so you can select testing programs to better fit your students.

For theory and musicianship, our state organization, WSMTA has testing. I don't know where the nearest testing center is to you, but if you cannot find a Seattle/Tacoma testing location, we have one here in Olympia. This year, roughly 150 students will be testing.

If you're looking for a somewhat less rigorous program, Music Federation is fairly strong, and the closest to you is the Puyallup chapter. Contact Mary Ellen Cavelti for details.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 52 invisible), 1869 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253266 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
04/24/14 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
04/24/14 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
04/24/14 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
04/24/14 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
04/24/14 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission