2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#2061996 04/09/13 03:10 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Some disappointment with my Kawai ES7 experience.

The first unit I got had a problem with one key (played louder than the others).

Dealer exchanged for a new unit.

But, it turned out that the second unit has a different feel than the first unit. I loved the feel of the first unit (best feel of any board I've ever tried, and I've tried them all in the last 2 years). But, this second unit I got has lighter feeling keys - and it 'bottoms out'. (Not as much as, for example, Roland, but way more than the original unit.) Hurts my fingers a bit; and harder to control overall because of the lightness.

So - I called Kawai customer service to see if they could do anything to adjust this second unit, which functions perfectly, but feels no where near as good as the first.

They said I should bring into a tech to make sure the felt was was properly situated (a possible cause for the bottoming out). So, I did. Tech said the felt was positioned properly.

So… after some back and forth in talking with Kawai customer service, turns out that there was a change in production at some point on the ES7 units. At the beginning, either all or some of the early models were using the 'wrong' weights (weights intended for two-sensor keyboards, not three-sensor keyboards). And those 'wrong' weights were heavier the the current, more recent, correct weights. So, my first unit had the heavier weights; my current unit has the lighter weights. That's the reason for the difference in feel; and nothing to be done to fix. (They told me they have no more of the older units available.)

I am kind of surprised that other users don't feel that the action is a bit light on the ES7… but perhaps I'm just used to something heavier; don't know.

That's my story, just thought I'd share with the community. Curious if anyone has any similar experience.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I just want to know .... which key was louder than the others.

I also have a key that periodically ... BANGS ...

It is the E key just to the right of middle C.

Could yours have been the same key ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
I
OP Offline
I
The key that was louder was F3 (F below middle C).

But, it wasn't louder mechanically - it was louder 'electronically' (i.e., the note was louder when played).

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Drat !

I was hoping for some consistency.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Info2011, the action on my ES7 feels heavy and I love it. If just recent, any chance the dealer still has the first one you returned. Call him asap. Im sure that one key is repairable. BTW im on my third ES7, returned first two. This one is perfect. I can explain in detail if you care but figured irrelevant.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the suggestion Marko - actually Kawai service tried to get that one back from the dealer (and they would have fixed the one key) - but to no avail.

Yeah, my original unit, action felt heavy. Was great. Alas...

;-)

H
H
Originally Posted by Info2011
The key that was louder was F3 (F below middle C).
But, it wasn't louder mechanically - it was louder 'electronically' (i.e., the note was louder when played).

Was the sound amplified when you pressed the damper pedal or was it louder than other keys even without pedal? And more importantly, is the F3 on the replacement unit working correctly? I had very similar problem on my CA95 so I am very interested.

Is it just me being biased (having Kawai) or are reports of Kawai units failures/replacement MUCH more frequent than for other brands? I recall so many such threads that I lost count...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
These are not failures, but characteristics of some units wink
Now, mine works fine with regards to sound evenness (and everything I've tested so far).
About the changes on action weights...It would be interesting having some serial numbers as a reference. Is it possible?

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I will give you my serial # if helps compare. But is ok to put our serial #s online?

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 04/10/13 07:38 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I meant having the aprox. serial number for the change in the action.

Gherty, are you there?

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
I
OP Offline
I
Hookxs: The louder F3 happened with or without pedal. The replacement unit doesn't have that problem on any of the keys. (BTW, for the record, I did notice the same 'loud note' problem on one other in-store unit, on middle C).

I wonder about the failures/replacement being more common on Kawai (it does seem that there are more posts on these forums for Kawai issues; not that that's a definitive conclusion).

But, frankly, the whole "wrong weights were used on early units" doesn't exactly speak to great quality control. I was told that the weights were visually the same, and that's how/why it happened ... but isn't somebody playing these units before they get boxed? (Meaning, somebody who would notice -- someone who can play).

Frustrating and annoying... but may keyboard issues be our worst problems.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello Info2011,

Thank you for your post.

After reading your message I immediately queried the situation with my colleagues here in Japan and overseas.

The head of the keyboard engineering team informed me that there have been no changes to the key weight of the ES7's action during development.

Furthermore, he noted that this point was clearly explained to the digital piano project manager at Kawai America, who had also raised the same query.

I'm afraid I do not know why the customer service representative that you spoke with suggested that 'early models were using wrong weights', however I can reassure you that this is definitely not the case. Again, to clarify, ES7 instruments manufactured today are using the same key weights as the very first units produced a few months ago.

The digital piano project manager at Kawai America has informed me that a technician will be evaluating the two ES7s that you received shortly, so I'm confident that we will get to the bottom of this mix-up in the near future. And more importantly, provide an instrument that you are 100% satisfied with.

On behalf of everyone at Kawai, may I apologise for this inconvenience, and any the lack of clarity provided by Kawai America's customer service staff.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James

The digital piano project manager at Kawai America has informed me that a technician will be evaluating the two ES7s that you received shortly, so I'm confident that we will get to the bottom of this mix-up in the near future. And more importantly, provide an instrument that you are 100% satisfied with.

Outstanding service Kawai James. This just another reason why Im so happy i bought Kawai and will for as long as possible. You certainly do not see Roland and Yamaha personally jumping in to make things right when someone needs help on the forum. Service is so important when you purchase such intricate and expensive electronics such as a digital piano. You really need the company to stand behind and support it's products. Well done Kawai.

(and yes, Casio has a great guy too with Mike Martin)

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 04/12/13 10:54 AM.
I
OP Offline
I
Wow! Thanks Kawai James for your input and help on this. (Unexpected and greatly appreciated.)

(I'll post any further news once I hear from Kawai America and things can get resolved.)

Again, thanks KJ.

Online Content
Happy to help!

James
x

N
N
Hi guys, I also have a problem with my Kawai's keyboard. One of the keys (F on the right of middle C) is making very loud 'scratching' noise when pressed and then even louder 'clapping' noise when released. I also think action is a little lighter on that key. I think it's just a mechanical problem and doesn't effect sound of the piano, but it's very annoying. Do you guys think problem with my piano is big enough to get a new unit?

Kawai es7, Scandalli Polifonico
Online Content
NYRfan, I would recommend contacting your local dealer to discuss the matter.

Kind regards,
James
x

N
N
I'll call my dealer in a minute. This is a video I just made to show what the problem is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_vJehPOFk

EDIT:

Just got off the phone with my dealer, new piano will be shipped today.

Last edited by NYRfan; 05/28/13 12:25 PM.

N
N
I got second unit and it has the same problem right out of the box. I didn't even play it, just checked if there were any noisy keys. The only difference is, it's a different key. I don't know if I should return it, or just live with it. Any advice? Does anyone else has this problem?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, return it again! I had some issues with Kawai and they resolved my issues immediately. They are outstanding when it comes to customer satisfaction and will do whatever it takes to make sure the customer (me) is happy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission