Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2063485 - 04/12/13 01:12 PM Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard
sightsandsounds Offline

I'm 34 and I have wanted to learn how to play the piano since I was little. I've decided I want to get a keyboard to practice with at home and am looking for some advice as to what would be best.

I'm looking at the Yamaha YPG-235. I know serious piano players haven't given it great reviews, but I am only going to be playing by myself at home, and space is an issue. I need something that I can put away when I'm not using it. I also can't spend more than $300.

I'm really only interested in learning to play Tori Amos songs, so would I miss the extra 12 keys if I'm not playing classical?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2063491 - 04/12/13 01:32 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
The Digital Piano forum will have more info. The Yamaha NP11 and Yamaha NP31 are possibilities. The NP11 is 11 pounds, and it is what I started with. The NP11 has 61 keys and the NP31 has 76 keys. Both have plastic keys and feel like keyboards (not pianos).

Digital pianos have 88 weighted keys and the lowest priced new ones that people like are the Casio CDP120 and Yamaha P35. Both the pianos are over budget, but a person might luck into one of them during a once-a-year sale.

#2063503 - 04/12/13 01:59 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: Sand Tiger]
mobislink Offline

Loc: NJ
I purchased a CDP 120 just before the holiday season for $250. Maybe look for a used CDP 100 or CDP 120.

#2063519 - 04/12/13 02:36 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: sightsandsounds
I'm looking at the Yamaha YPG-235.

I bought something similar but wasn't happy until I got 88 weighted keys.

#2063539 - 04/12/13 03:05 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Well, there is a digital forum and they should be able to help you. I have a yamaha and what is good about them is they are in every town and city so you can get it repaired if needed. Make sure the keys are weighted keys as opposed to spring loaded. It has to feel a piano if you want to play and learn piano stuff. You will probably get a stand for the keyboard, but be sure you test it at the store because some piano/keyboard stands don't adjust to the usual piano height and so the piano/keyboard is too high to have the proper hand position. Not a big deal but it is a consideration when you buy it and get it home and you can't play it properly.

I love my yamaha P95 so I am sure you will enjoy your keyboard/digital piano when you get it and get back to playing piano again.

#2063596 - 04/12/13 04:30 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
> I'm 34 and I have wanted to learn how to play the piano since I was little.

good deal!

> I'm looking at the Yamaha YPG-235.

If you truly want to learn to play, you'll want 88 weighted keys.

> I need something that I can put away when I'm not using it.

If you're going to spend the -absolute- minimum of 4 hours per week practicing,
Getting it out and setting it up every day is not an option.

> I'm really only interested in learning to play Tori Amos songs

Now you're talkin' crazy smile Her songs are not a snap, I think.
Have you found sheet music (or midi files) for all the songs you want
to play? Pop music is notoriously hard to find GOOD arrangements for
as many pop composers do so by ear and don't care about selling the
"source code".

Not to mention that if you're going to learn to play, don't restrict
yourself to a certain type of music. Try out ALL the things.

> so would I miss the extra 12 keys if I'm not playing classical?

I got by with a 76 key digital for a while. Eventually eeeeveryone
who sticks with it gets an 88 key digital.

Good luck to ya - it's the best hobby in the world.

Another thing I put off doing was getting a piano teacher.
That was also a big mistake. You need a human to teach you
to play a piano. Books won't cut it.

Have a look at http://www.pianocheetah.com/piano

You're at the right place to do your research.
But I've found no solid guide for buying your first keyboard.
So I wrote one up. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes smile

#2063695 - 04/12/13 08:03 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
This really belongs in the "digital piano" forum. FWIW, my own opinion:

1. For developing basic keyboard skills and learning theory and harmony, 61 touch-sensitive (not necessarily "weighted") keys are enough. Something like a Yamaha NP-11 will work.

2. If you want to learn _piano_ -- whether classical or pop -- the closer you can get to an acoustic piano, the better. So 88 keys, weighted action, comes into its own.

I don't know Tori Amos' music. But if it's decent, you'll have to learn a fair bit before you get to it.

. Charles

#2064950 - 04/15/13 11:54 AM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Marc Harris Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Not sure why people keep telling you to go to the digital forum. This is very much a beginner question. Also not sure why people seem to be discouraging you by seeming to tell you that if you don't get 88 weighted keys, spend a huge amount of time, and rearrange you home, you might as well not bother.

I say, spend what you want, play when you want!

As regards the specific model you mentioned, I don't have any knowledge. One thing I know about Tori Amos, though, is that she makes very extensive use of sustain. Check if the keyboard has the ability to plug a pedal in, and whether that's important for you.

#2064989 - 04/15/13 01:33 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
have you considered purchasing from craigslist? I put my 3 month old casio cdp 120 on sale cause I upgraded to an acoustic. I sold it for $350 including a stand a bench. i really liked cdp 120, it has 88 weighted keys and aside from the flimy sustain pedal, it was a good starter keyboard. good luck!

#2065189 - 04/15/13 09:43 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
JazzyMac Offline

I hope you find what you're looking for. Due to my other hobbies, I learned the hard way to buy the best my money can afford, or I'll constantly be upgrading looking for the next best thing for my needs.

i,e. I thought I did really well getting my Yamaha P155...but now realize I would like a synth with all the extra sounds to fool around with.

#2065193 - 04/15/13 09:51 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
vexwk Offline

It has to feel a piano if you want to play and learn piano stuff.

#2065206 - 04/15/13 10:20 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The thing about 88 weighted keys is generally when you get into that range you are looking at a better-quality instrument (vs. possibly getting something very un-pianolike/toy piano). Not to say there aren't high-end synths with fewer than 88 keys, but you'll avoid those usually with the price tag.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2066773 - 04/18/13 09:50 PM Re: Advice for Adult Beginner Picking Out Keyboard [Re: sightsandsounds]
Bob M Offline

Loc: North Carolina
sightandsound,

If memory serves, the YPG 235 is not touch sensitive, a real handicap to learning piano. If you really want to keep the price down let me suggest the Yamaha NP-11 which sells for $159. This, unlike the 76-key NP-30 has an "octave shift" function which gets you a more than a 5 octave board. If you like and stick with piano you will soon want a weighted, 88-key piano, whether digital or acoustic, but the 41" long NP-11 is a very convenient instrument to throw in a closet or the trunk of the car.

Here's a very useful link for beginners of any stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDEI0dGW_w

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (aesop, anotherscott, accordeur, albumblatter, 3times2, 37 invisible), 1254 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157608 Topics
2315074 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission