2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hey Guys,

I have my non-degree freshman recital in 2 days sick crazy . Yesterday, I had my dress rehearsal in the venue, and the piano was ok (it's going to be tuned, but the action is still uneven). I recorded the whole thing, and told myself that I would upload a portion here, no matter how badly it went. The run through went well, imo, but I hear SO MANY things that need to (and are going to) be worked out tonight. It has me a little bit nervous.

Without further ado, I present one of my favorite Beethoven sonatas: Op. 81a. What do you all think of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJZEI3xq-sI

Donald Lee III

Last edited by DonaldLee; 04/11/13 03:51 PM.

Donald Lee III
BM '16 James Madison University
MM '18 Cincinnati Conservatory of Music

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
from Facebook : "This content is currently unavailable."

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Offline
Thanks for letting me know! Here's a new link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJZEI3xq-sI

Donald Lee III

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Donald! Overall, your presentation is quite secure -- confidently presented; both technically and musically well-gauged throughout. A few general comments, though:

In the first movement, particularly, I don't get enough sense of surprise -- the illusion of an improvisatory, in-the-moment quality. IMO, the opening material goes through 3 - 4 changes in emotional coloration, none of which I heard convincingly, and the introduction of the fast section was neither sudden enough nor joyful enough for my taste. Your tempo was OK, but I hear more of a giddy, yelping quality in these pages.

To a lesser extent, I would have the same comment in the third movement -- although here I get more a sense of virtuosic "heaviness" that for me is more appropriate to Schumann or Liszt. Although I realize that this movement really IS more virtuosic in character, I'd be inclined to play it in a style similar to his OP 78 or 79 sonatas, both of which IMO hearken back to a Classical "lightness of being".

Just in the interests of full disclosure, I've never studied this Sonata in any detail, and so you can take my comments with the proverbial grain of salt. But, just to reiterate, I heard this as a very secure performance, and have nothing hugely cautionary to recommend.

OP Offline
Thank you so much for you comment! I actually marked everything you said in my score for when I revisit this piece. I feel like it's going to have to marinate in the back of my brain for a while before it really starts to sparkle. It did, however, go VERY well at my recital.

Donald Lee III

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission