Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2063707 - 04/12/13 09:01 PM Best way to practise a new song
PianoHarry Offline

Loc: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
I have noticed time and again that I may be going well with a new tune, only to get stuck at some difficult part which difficulty seems over and above the rest of the piece.
Consequently I have a few 'half tunes' where I have become discouraged at some sticking point.

What is the best way to learn a new song? Start at the end? Start at the beginning and end simultainiously and meet in the middle? Start with the hard bits?

Or none of the above?

Cheers and thanks for any help

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2063709 - 04/12/13 09:04 PM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
pianotimo Offline

play through once with mistakes. zone in on the mistakes and play them alone until you can play them perfectly alone. Incorporate the difficult part with the whole song and play together. clap clap smile

#2063834 - 04/13/13 02:54 AM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
JohnSprung Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
You've already tried it enough to identify the parts that you find difficult. Take those difficult parts and try different fingerings for them. When you have the best fingerings for the hard parts, work outward from there to set the fingerings for the rest. That way you can sort of spread the difficulty around and make it more even. For instance, I sometimes have the same note repeated a few times, but I choose to play it with different fingers just to get in position for what's coming next. Figure out your optimum fingering as efficiently as you can and write it down. Un-learning a practiced fingering to adopt a better one really makes a mess.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2063841 - 04/13/13 03:19 AM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Playing the piano for pleasure. Book is an absolute gold mine on structure.

Plus. Check graham fitch website out.

#2063855 - 04/13/13 04:08 AM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I'd recommend checking out these resources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th5ljgUP9lg (how to practice efficiently)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVgvHWTLOIA (how to work out difficult passages)

I'd start by writing in (in pencil) fingerings for phrases you don't think you'll remember so that you don't practice several different fingerings and ingrain into muscle memory bad ones. Next, I'd make note of how the piece could be broken down into sections (little logical sections of generally no less than 1 measure/bar to no more than a few measures/bars) and possibly also mark these spots on the paper. Then it's just a matter of slowly practicing these sections and then practicing connecting these sections. Members here recommend doing this last part anywhere from 4-10 consecutive times perfectly per section before leaving a section or whole piece completely alone until having slept on it (see the following quote)

Originally Posted By: Ernest Dras ("Slow practice will get you there faster")
The elder Mozart would place ten dried peas in his son’s left coat pocket, and for each successful attempt at a difficult passage, Mozart would move a single pea to his right pocket. When he failed on any piece, even if it was the tenth repetition, all the peas had to be placed back in his left pocket — Wolfgang had to begin anew. What usually happens when using this method is that the student slows down his tempo in order to play the passage perfectly.

#2064116 - 04/13/13 04:25 PM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: UK Paul UK]
PianoHarry Offline

Which author? Amazon has numerous titles by that name. Thanks

#2064220 - 04/13/13 08:46 PM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
IanW Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
UK Paul would be referring to a book written by Charles Cooke in the 1940s. He's right this is a real gem and deals with the specific issue of how to tackle short difficult sections (or fractures, as he refers to them) and turn them from the weakest spot to the strongest part of the piece.

#2064518 - 04/14/13 01:52 PM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: PianoHarry
I have noticed time and again that I may be going well with a new tune, only to get stuck at some difficult part which difficulty seems over and above the rest of the piece.
Consequently I have a few 'half tunes' where I have become discouraged at some sticking point.

You've received good advise already. Will just add ... go slowly mastering small sections. Start putting the sections together only when they are mastered.

Whatever you do though, don't get discouraged and leave it. Keep working on the challenging parts (again in small sections)... for however long it takes until they are as strong as the rest and you can start putting everything together.

There is no point in having the piece otherwise beautiful throughout, but a train wreck for a couple of measures. You understand this of course by way of your initial post.

The way to get past this is with patience, practice, patience, practice and repeat, repeat etc. etc.

#2065175 - 04/15/13 09:09 PM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
PianoHarry Offline

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply. I hope I am in a position to help you one day.
Cheers
Harry

#2065194 - 04/15/13 09:51 PM Re: Best way to practise a new song [Re: PianoHarry]
vexwk Offline

Book is an absolute gold mine on structure.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (AZNpiano, briansaddleback, bennevis, Atrys, beet31425, 19 invisible), 1273 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156349 Topics
2296338 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new work for Japanese Harp "KOTO"
by Iori Fujita
Today at 03:41 AM
Pianos in timber homes vs brick homes
by Jibbers
Today at 02:37 AM
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
Today at 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission