2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Greetings Everyone!

I am seeking your help on choosing a low to mid end DP. I am a software engineer in China with a tight budget. I would prefer key action as much as possible but portability is needed since I have to move once a year in Canton as a result of the rocketing rent rates frown ). Affordable DP models to me are:

1. Korg SP-180,i.e SP-170DX, CNY3650(580USD) including a wooden stand & a three pedal set, it is almost identical with the previous SP-170s except that it comes with the three pedals. The sound quality is impressive but it lacks such popular functionality as split/dual. Also appears plastic.

2. Casio PX-350/358, price unknown, available in December. The abundance of functions is fascinating. However, the 8 watt *2 speakers are not that attractive. Moreover,keyboards of previous Privia models are reputated for quickly becoming loose over time. Is this PX-350 worth waiting for?

One might be interested in what a PX-358 is, most probably just a PX-350 with a few sounds of Chinese traditional instruments.

3. Roland RP-301,same price as YDP-161. Most expensive among three. However, there is some controversy over the Ivory Feel-G keyboard and I cannot try the keyboard for myself for there isn't one around for demonstration. RP-301 is mostly offered by online dealers.

In the beginning, I would just go for a Yamaha P-155. Unfortunately, it is not sold in China that I have to pay heavy transportation and taxes to get one from Japan without official warranty.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Vampire Killer; 07/13/13 09:01 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hello, because I anticipate a few moves myself I only purchased slab pianos.

I like the Korg main piano sound, but think the Casio action is better. Not familiar with the Roland but liked the Ivory Touch on the RD-700NX but didn't consider it because of the weight.
Have you listened to demos as well online?

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
V
OP Offline
V
RD-700NX has a superior keyboard to RP-301 and much more expensive.

I have seen a few clips online for RP-301 on local Roland homepage, sounds a little "cold".

R
R
so have u buy your DP yet? i am thing to get either SP170DX/YAMAHA P35/KORG SP250.

SP250 is old model from my understanding. the DX are better, comes with 3 pedals. but no layering like CP35. it is nice to layer i.e piano and strings, but how about layering other voices? for me...if it only nice to layered piano & strings then..i pass. would like to choose DX. but hey..never try em all. hahhahaha...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Why not travel over to Hong Kong to buy a P155? They sell them at Tom Lee Music for $9000HKD.

The package as a whole weighs 17 kilos which means travelling on the MTR with one is fine, which should get you to Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau.

J
J
If you purchase a digital piano in HK, be prepared to be taxed 10%.

I just checked out Parsons in Shenzhen and they have the old Kawai CA13 for RMB$8300, Kawai CL26II $3950, Casio PX130 for $3700.

You could probably check larger cities like Shanghai or Beijing. Transportation costs within China is quite cheap.

Also, check out www.amazon.cn.

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by justpin
Why not travel over to Hong Kong to buy a P155? They sell them at Tom Lee Music for $9000HKD.

The package as a whole weighs 17 kilos which means travelling on the MTR with one is fine, which should get you to Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau.

I am more than pleased to have read all yr replies after what seemed a long time.

Haven't yet.

Justpin, thanks for yr suggestions. Might visit Tom Lee HK for a P155, but not until my visa get renewed. Incidentally, does this 9k HKD include a stand?

Although Casio DID release ALL the new Privias with good prices on time and they are everywhere with major Internet dealers, I havne't put my dirty fingers on them yet and fell in into indecision when satisfaction varies as I read. There was even a Casio press release held in my neighborhood but I didn't even know about it...

Last edited by Vampire Killer; 04/13/13 10:17 AM.
V
OP Offline
V
Did try SP-170DX when I posted. Reponsive keyboard, cripsy sound, short decay but OK. It was only the lack of the layering niceties keeps me away, you knew it.

Last edited by Vampire Killer; 04/13/13 10:56 AM.
V
OP Offline
V
Visited Parsons next door for the models you mentioned. CA13, cabinet oversized. As for CL-26II, I prefer a more international appearance. The point is the polyphony number, i.e 96, as a programmer, I a binary sick for 64, 128, 256... frown

Last edited by Vampire Killer; 07/13/13 09:07 AM.
V
OP Offline
V
Hello, eventually I have doubled the payment for a Roland FP-80 from an online dealer.

The salesman told me that the FP-80 sold here are made in China. I am a little concerned if the quality will be different from those sold elsewhere.

Those who own FP-80, would you let me know where your FP-80 is made? Thanks.

Last edited by Vampire Killer; 07/13/13 09:08 AM.
E
E
Originally Posted by Vampire Killer
Hello, eventually I have doubled the payment for a Roland

Those who own FP-80, would you let me know where your FP-80 is made? Thanks.

Hello, mine has been made in indonesia.
I have no trouble at all with this DP...a really good DP indeed grin

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission