2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Please feel free to post all your questions, reviews and comments about the FP-80 & FP-50 here.

Original OP:

Roland Connect has announced today (April 4, 2013) the new series.
Let's see....

FP-80
FP-50
Brochure

FP-80 (compared to FP-7f):
+ It appears they smoothed the look by omitting the knobs on the front panel. Back to volume slider.
+ Nice, Acoustic Projection!
+ 200g weight reduction.
+ Reduced power consumption, at medium volume.
+ Super Natural E-Piano
+ Airplay (connect to iOS)

- They went from 2x1/4 inch (FP7F) to mini stereo inputs. (grrrr...)
- Seems no "Open/Close Lid" effect.

I wish they'd show a pic of the back.
And I wonder about the USB to Computer, MIDI only or also audio??? (No info yet)
________________________________________________________________________________

Edits:

Make a long story short, jump here.

Bugs

A review by Enzo.Sandrolini

Last edited by Cmin; 09/03/13 05:44 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Does anybody know the "Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement"?

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the heads-up!

10/10 for the video - it's beautifully done, and I love the transition from home practise to performing on stage.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Cmin

The "S" is not as good as the keyboard build into the HP-505. The "S" instead feels less mature, its keys do not really wobble but to me somehow felt less stabilized along their path of movement, when testing it ones in a shop. The "G" in my tests appeared much worse then the "S", then.

I would rank them like this (lowest quality to highest quality):
Ivory-Feel G
Ivory-Feel S
Ivory-Feel (without any additional letter, like on the HP-505)

Last edited by Marco M; 04/04/13 04:31 AM. Reason: added details
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Maybe it is the same as the FP-7F PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement??? Just a shortened name?

Cheers,
Lenny

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Nice find, something else to drool over. That FP80 is heavy for a slab! Prices?

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Nice find, something else to drool over. That FP80 is heavy for a slab! Prices?

+1 ...drool...
Just announced today - no prices yet.
....and it's 200g lighter than FP-7f!!! (wow, now that makes a difference)

Last edited by Cmin; 04/04/13 04:49 AM.

Cheers,
Lenny

C
C
Originally Posted by Cmin

According to Roland brochures, Ivory Feel-S (former known as PHA III Ivory Feel-S) is almost identical to PHA-III except for the fact Ivory Feel-S is built on a single plastic piece instead of two. I guess this has to do with the lack of the wooden imitation side PHA III has. HP-503 (Ivory Feel-S) and HP-505 (PHA III) feel different each other but IMHO it's not due to the action, which is almost identical, but due to amp+speakers. The final feedback the player receives depends on the sum of many factors, not only the action. As we usually see on Yamaha GH, just the same action may feel quite different on different instruments.

Something similar happens between the older HP-302 and 305. The have the same action (PHA II with escapement) except for the ivory like cover of the 305, and they share the same sound engine but they definitely feel different: the 305 feels, in my opinion, better as its amplification + speakers are more powerful, that's why I picked one instead a 302.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Can anyone please highlight what's new compared to the FP7F - apart from a presumably better speaker system ? All the rest seems pretty much the same ?! Are the EP's now also Super Natural ? And real drawbar organs ? Any changes to the main AP SN sounds or other sounds ?

I know you can use a sort of airplay with the optional WLAN adapter, but such marketing gadgets don't really bother me - better know how much the PIANO is improved (better sounds / better Super antural / changes to keybed (less thumping ) ??)

And prizzzzze ? Dolphin lists the FP80 as 1762 Pounds , which is about € 2075

Expensive considering the Fp7F was about € 1799

Oh and the new backing organ with TWO displays ! What a laugh ...is that really the gadget that will outsell all competition ? One large touch screen , that can be split on certain pages will do the same and better...

Last edited by JFP; 04/04/13 05:54 AM.
C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by JFP
Can anyone please highlight what's new compared to the FP7F - apart from a presumably better speaker system ? All the rest seems pretty much the same ?! Are the EP's now also Super Natural ? And real drawbar organs ? Any changes to the main AP SN sounds or other sounds ?

Yes, E-Piano is now Super Natural
F-80 & F-50 Brochure

Originally Posted by JFP
I know you can use a sort of airplay with the optional WLAN adapter, but such marketing gadgets don't really bother me -

Same here.

Cheers,
Lenny

T
T
I'm pretty sure the AP core sound must be the same as one the current models, but in the video it sounds a bit more organic than on my 300NX. I guess Roland tweaked it to some extent so that they can justify this new model. It might even contain the brilliant and the studio SN pianos found in the 700NX...

Roland RD800, EV ZXA-1.
Time for us FP-7F owners to sell LOL

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Keegan
Time for us FP-7F owners to sell LOL

For a bit better speakers and SN EP (if you care about that at all). And added € 300...

Don't think a lot of FP7f owners will be convinced. IMHO this update is very meager

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Roland says that the EPs are SuperNATURAL-based - not that they use the SN engine. That sounds as if they are samples derived from certain SN settings. And if you note, the blurb says: SuperNATURAL Piano technology powers the onboard grand piano sounds (my emphasis).

The upgrade to the speakers is welcome, particularly if it allows LH bass to be played without distortion, otherwise...?

Last edited by voxpops; 04/04/13 10:43 AM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by voxpops
Roland says that the EPs are SuperNATURAL-based - not that they use the SN engine. That sounds as if they are samples derived from certain SN settings. And if you note, the blurb says: SuperNATURAL Piano technology powers the onboard grand piano sounds (my emphasis).
. . .

From the blurb, on another thread here:

•Roland’s SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine onboard

That suggests the sounds really are "SuperNatural", with the modelling freedom that implies.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I think this is just awkward wording. I'd be quite surprised if SN didn't really mean SN.

The upgrade to the speakers is welcome, particularly if it allows LH bass to be played without distortion, otherwise...?

I don't like speakers placed in the keybed area, they tend to add overall length to the instrument. FP-50 is 1343mm long, the FP-80 is 1396mm, a difference of two inches - this is make or break sometimes when trying to transport it on the back seat of a car.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
"I don't like speakers placed in the keybed area, they tend to add overall length to the instrument. FP-50 is 1343mm long, the FP-80 is 1396mm, a difference of two inches - this is make or break sometimes when trying to transport it on the back seat of a car."

I also think tiny speakers on the side seem a little gimmicky and unnecessary. Maybe Roland will prove me wrong. However, I doubt enough to make me part with my beloved ES7.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by dewster

I think this is just awkward wording. I'd be quite surprised if SN didn't really mean SN.

If you look at the specs on the brochure, there is no adjustment available for the EPs. The AP engine includes the usual (with one or two minor variations) SN effect controls. I believe that the marketing department chooses their words very carefully...

What is interesting is that, compared with the FP-7F, there are 3 additional sounds in the AP bank, and a bunch of extra ones in the EP category. It would be nice if all the RD-700NX SN AP sounds have made it to the FP series.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
What is interesting is that, compared with the FP-7F, there are 3 additional sounds in the AP bank, and a bunch of extra ones in the EP category. It would be nice if all the RD-700NX SN AP sounds have made it to the FP series.

Too true! Roland needs to get the "Studio Grand" out there on more of their products.

I think the FP80 looks pretty good. A nice shape. I have no doubt that the action is the same as PHA-III Ivory Feel-S; they've just simplified their ridiculous nomenclature, clearly.

More versatile SN pianos (without the dreaded metallic clanking mid range), better EPs and, most crucially of all, better speakers was what was needed and it looks like they just may have delivered on all points. The speakers on the FP-7F are awful so lets hope the FP-80 is much better in that respect.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Keyboard triple sensor? I did not see it anywhere

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 04/04/13 12:50 PM.
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission