Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2064982 - 04/15/13 01:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: PianoStudent88]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
It's an acute accent. Either find somewhere else on the web that has already done it and copy the letter from there, or use the codes for grave and acute accents as follows:

è
é

"Les Misérables"

Thanks PS88 - I didn't know there were codes for these things - let me try it:

"Les Misérables"

Wonderful! Now, can anyone give me the exact French pronunciation of Misérables?

Here's a little side note: According to Shelby Foot in his 3-volume history of the American Civil War Victor Hugo's monumental classic novel was very popular with soldiers on both sides, the North and the South (at least those who could read laugh ) - some of the troops from the South under General Robert E. Lee, who were poorly fed and clothed and who were forced to march long distances and fight terrible battles in the worst weather, referred to themselves as "Lee's Miserables" smile

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2064983 - 04/15/13 01:20 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Is it too late to join this recital?

#2064985 - 04/15/13 01:23 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Not at all... in fact, I won't be opening the thread for submissions until May 1st. smile But the recital is a big thing around here, so we like to talk about it long before and after each one.

Welcome to the forum, btw! smile

#2064986 - 04/15/13 01:24 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I plan to submit "Two Trees" from Einaudi's "In a Time Lapse" album. I've got it memorized and am happy with how I play it without the Red Dot. (Yeah, I know, I know. whome )

Do you mean that you know the red dot is a killer ... or that it's yet more Einaudi?! wink

I had meant the former, but the latter is just as applicable. laugh

#2064987 - 04/15/13 01:26 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

"Les Misérables"

Wonderful! Now, can anyone give me the exact French pronunciation of Misérables?

Here's a little side note: According to Shelby Foot in his 3-volume history of the American Civil War Victor Hugo's monumental classic novel was very popular with soldiers on both sides, the North and the South (at least those who could read laugh ) - some of the troops from the South under General Robert E. Lee, who were poorly fed and clothed and who were forced to march long distances and fight terrible battles in the worst weather, referred to themselves as "Lee's Miserables" smile

https://www.box.com/s/ktmkc0n0quza8sxy6e5y

Interesting anecdote from the Civil War!

#2064995 - 04/15/13 01:37 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Not at all... in fact, I won't be opening the thread for submissions until May 1st. smile But the recital is a big thing around here, so we like to talk about it long before and after each one.

Welcome to the forum, btw! smile

Wonderful! Thank you... this gives me motivation to really work on this prelude i've been trying to learn for the past couple of weeks =)

#2065017 - 04/15/13 02:25 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
One of these i will partake in... im guessing itll be the pollonaise in gm but only just got the notes under my fingers :-)

#2065023 - 04/15/13 02:34 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

I wouldn't call this exact, and not solely because I can't convey a French "R" but "lay mee-zay-RAH-bluh" is my inept representation of it.

#2065050 - 04/15/13 03:51 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Last recital I had to pull a last minute cram session in order to submit the tune I really wanted too even though the piece wasn't totally ready. [Yes, once again, I 'peaked' after the recital].

Anyway, I thought to get a head start on this recital and started practicing my new piece right away.

New problem: I 'peaked' about a week ago and am now so sick of playing the piece over and over that I just cannot put the emotional input into it that it deserves. Fortunately, I work on several tunes at any given time but timing the 'peak' is still difficult for me to do.

This seems to be the case because I have yet to figure out how many cycles I can perform a piece before I get sick of it. This is not a joke as I am serious.

I have the ability to take a newly discovered melody and learn it to the point where it gives me goosebumps. [Really, I'm very sensitive]. But after playing the piece over and over, I notice an inverse relationship occurring in that as I get better at playing the piece I also start becoming jaded with it.

I think this occurrence happens because the original 'stimulant' of the melody stats becoming a little diluted over time.

So, now I'm at the point where I either need to forget about the piece I learned and hope to rediscover it again in a few weeks so I can put the emotion back into the piece...[cuz I can't fake it], or I need to start cramming once again in order to have something ready in a couple of weeks.

Vicious cycle I'm telling you!

#2065083 - 04/15/13 04:47 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Last recital I had to pull a last minute cram session in order to submit the tune I really wanted too even though the piece wasn't totally ready. [Yes, once again, I 'peaked' after the recital].

Anyway, I thought to get a head start on this recital and started practicing my new piece right away.

New problem: I 'peaked' about a week ago and am now so sick of playing the piece over and over that I just cannot put the emotional input into it that it deserves. Fortunately, I work on several tunes at any given time but timing the 'peak' is still difficult for me to do.

This seems to be the case because I have yet to figure out how many cycles I can perform a piece before I get sick of it. This is not a joke as I am serious.

I have the ability to take a newly discovered melody and learn it to the point where it gives me goosebumps. [Really, I'm very sensitive]. But after playing the piece over and over, I notice an inverse relationship occurring in that as I get better at playing the piece I also start becoming jaded with it.

I think this occurrence happens because the original 'stimulant' of the melody stats becoming a little diluted over time.

So, now I'm at the point where I either need to forget about the piece I learned and hope to rediscover it again in a few weeks so I can put the emotion back into the piece...[cuz I can't fake it], or I need to start cramming once again in order to have something ready in a couple of weeks.

Just record regularly! Go back one recording when you hit the 1st jaded one? smile

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2065110 - 04/15/13 05:57 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
Last recital I tried to cram out a piece at the last moment --- failed miserably. Did not contribute.
I find that last 10% of finishing a piece is a killer.
This time I hope to succeed. Maybe Villa Lobos, A Lenda Do Caboclo; or Scarlatti K380.

#2065139 - 04/15/13 07:28 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I was hoping to view or hear previous recitals but the link on the page "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forurm" seems to be broken - any ideas

#2065145 - 04/15/13 07:42 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

I wouldn't call this exact, and not solely because I can't convey a French "R" but "lay mee-zay-RAH-bluh" is my inept representation of it.

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

https://www.box.com/s/ktmkc0n0quza8sxy6e5y

Interesting anecdote from the Civil War!

Thanks both of you for the pronunciation assistance - Cheryl, that has to be the shortest shared file ever on Box laugh

#2065157 - 04/15/13 08:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

Just record regularly! Go back one recording when you hit the 1st jaded one? smile

This is a good suggestion and would, or could work but in order for that to happen I would need to record every session whether it is on the digital or the acoustic piano and I just am too lazy to do that. But I'm not a slacker. It's just that I always feel that I can play a piece even better if I practice it more so I usually never record myself unless I am about to run out of time for the recital submission date. It is that date that ultimately forces me to make a recording.

The problem is when I actually do make the recording, I find that I either could have benefited by spending even more time practicing the piece,....or,... the 'sweet spot' of my abilities to perform the piece has come and gone. I find getting it back IS doable but is so much easier if some time has gone by. ...And, if some time has gone by before I try and perform it again, it won't be the same because I will end up playing it differently anyway which in turn makes it into an entirely new piece once again.

I'm telling you, it really is a vicious cycle.

#2065177 - 04/15/13 09:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: earlofmar]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I was hoping to view or hear previous recitals but the link on the page "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forurm" seems to be broken - any ideas

Oops!! We need to change that. A couple of recitals back we moved everything to the PW servers, and it's been a long process of changing all the old links. The best way to browse past recitals is to use the absolutely marvelous searchable index that Sam Smith created and maintains for us:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

#2065180 - 04/15/13 09:20 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

Oops!! We need to change that. A couple of recitals back we moved everything to the PW servers, and it's been a long process of changing all the old links. The best way to browse past recitals is to use the absolutely marvelous searchable index that Sam Smith created and maintains for us:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Link fixed.

#2065201 - 04/15/13 10:13 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm telling you, it really is a vicious cycle.

I suggest looking up the gentleman who initiated all this quarterly torment, and give him a piece of your mind.

Edited by aTallGuyNH (04/15/13 10:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed smiley... I think it's actually funnier that way.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2065296 - 04/16/13 01:28 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Haha, your right TallGuy. A labor of love or self imposed stress? Sometimes that line can get a bit blurred.

In addition, once recital recording time comes around, the subtle differences in our recordings are probably not even that noticeable to everyone else. Of course we can hear it like certain sounds are only heard by dogs but that's just the way it goes. Also, the better you can perform a piece, the more the mistakes you make will bug you. That's because you know you are capable of playing it correctly'... however you realized that you just screwed up.

Which of course leads back to the beginning of the vicious cycle.

#2065323 - 04/16/13 02:22 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

In addition, once recital recording time comes around, the subtle differences in our recordings are probably not even that noticeable to everyone else. Of course we can hear it like certain sounds are only heard by dogs but that's just the way it goes. Also, the better you can perform a piece, the more the mistakes you make will bug you. That's because you know you are capable of playing it correctly'... however you realized that you just screwed up.

How true!
Sometimes I find that I get one recording that is "note perfect" but it doesn't have the "zing", or the "heart". 2 or 3 times now, I've used a less "perfect" (I use the term loosely!) recording for one that has the right energy.

Maybe a week or so of time off from your piece will allow you to go back to it with renewed energy and heart?

#2065330 - 04/16/13 02:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My coming piece was already recorded shortly after the previous recital. Maybe I can still improve on it but that will always be the case :-/

#2065424 - 04/16/13 09:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

#2065432 - 04/16/13 10:03 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

Kawai K3

#2065443 - 04/16/13 10:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Is this different from the monthly recital like the April one that I just participated in? If so, how is it different?

#2065448 - 04/16/13 10:47 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I've missed the last two recitals so I'm hoping to make this one:)
Ive been working on hungary rhapsodie by carl koelling. Hopefully it will be ready by time the recital comes around. I imagine it will be since I have play it for my final exam; well at least half of it:)... Let me just say. I'm starting to really dislike this peace! I've been working on it since January and still haven't gotten to the end of the piece. I can't wait until its finished!:) This class has been rewarding though:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#2065454 - 04/16/13 10:50 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: keystring]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring
Is this different from the monthly recital like the April one that I just participated in? If so, how is it different?

[Monica starts to wonder where keystring has been the past 6 years...]

Yes, it's different. It's (relatively) more formal, and it's held on a quarterly basis. You can read the history of it on the main recital webpage:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

#2065476 - 04/16/13 11:22 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: keystring

[Monica starts to wonder where keystring has been the past 6 years...]

Yes, it's different. It's (relatively) more formal, and it's held on a quarterly basis. You can read the history of it on the main recital webpage:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

I don't think of the monthly threads as a recital - it's a bar without the bouncers. You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal! Sort of open mic in the ABF laugh

Cathy

#2065497 - 04/16/13 12:07 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks both of you for the pronunciation assistance - Cheryl, that has to be the shortest shared file ever on Box laugh

smile Yes, quite possibly lol.

It took MUCH longer to save, format as mp3, upload, and post about than it did to record! (not that it took a long time, but the difference was amusing. )

I am looking forward to hearing your piece TJ.

I got some more help on mine from my teacher during the lesson today - new techniques, if implemented well, will help me play it at a much more dynamic tempo!

#2065572 - 04/16/13 01:33 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

I don't think of the monthly threads as a recital - it's a bar without the bouncers. You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal! Sort of open mic in the ABF laugh

Cathy

smile

Ah, but they do have a bouncer - his name is Greg... eek

#2065575 - 04/16/13 01:36 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I am looking forward to hearing your piece TJ.

I got some more help on mine from my teacher during the lesson today - new techniques, if implemented well, will help me play it at a much more dynamic tempo!

Looking forward to hearing yours too...

Have you seen "Les Mis"? - are you familiar with the marvelous music that runs thru it continuously from beginning to end?

#2065586 - 04/16/13 02:24 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
TJ - oh yeah smile

Cathy

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (aesop, Allard, beet31425, AZ_Astro, AndrewJCW, 22 invisible), 1037 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156857 Topics
2304755 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
38 minutes 20 seconds ago
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
Today at 12:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission