Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2065589 - 04/16/13 02:33 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: jotur
You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal!

Perhaps if someone submitted some Barry White you could erase that strike-through smokin

Kawai K3

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2065636 - 04/16/13 05:00 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Have you seen "Les Mis"? - are you familiar with the marvelous music that runs thru it continuously from beginning to end?

Yes I have seen it - I saw it on Broadway circa 1990!
I was visiting the Big Apple, from my hometown in Ottawa, in the company of 2 bus loads of Girl Guide leaders! Wonderful show, wonderful weekend.

I have seen clips of the recent film production and am very much looking forward to seeing it as well.

In the meantime....your music will tide me over smile

edited to add: btw.... my pronunciation clip has had more hits than my second submission to the April Piano Bar...how weird is that? crazy

Edited by casinitaly (04/16/13 05:31 PM)

#2065680 - 04/16/13 06:41 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I have seen clips of the recent film production and am very much looking forward to seeing it as well.

edited to add: btw.... my pronunciation clip has had more hits than my second submission to the April Piano Bar...how weird is that? crazy

I was very disappointed with the movie - the singing was mediocre at best and terrible at worst - the music is powerful and demands great skill - see another live show if you can, where the cast is chosen based on sheer, unadulterated talent and not "star power"...

I'm not surprised at the popularity of your clip - it is pretty sexy - word must be spreading... smile

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2065820 - 04/17/13 02:14 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

I was very disappointed with the movie - the singing was mediocre at best and terrible at worst - the music is powerful and demands great skill - see another live show if you can, where the cast is chosen based on sheer, unadulterated talent and not "star power"...

I'm not surprised at the popularity of your clip - it is pretty sexy - word must be spreading... smile

Well...I'm still curious about the film, but my enthusiasm is moderated smile

As for the recording...lol.... I'd make one for
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune de Claude Debussy...but this is a family-rated forum wink

#2065824 - 04/17/13 02:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
But it's the -adult- beginners forum, right?

#2065868 - 04/17/13 06:22 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ganddalf Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I plan to play a very famous piece of a Norwegian composer (not Grieg) this time. However, I don't want to tell you which piece before I have submitted the recording. It is technically very demanding, and there is a possibility that I'll be unable to make a good enough recording of it. Of course I have some backups if that turns out to be the case.

#2065875 - 04/17/13 06:55 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
I plan to play a very famous piece of a Norwegian composer (not Grieg) this time. However, I don't want to tell you which piece before I have submitted the recording. It is technically very demanding, and there is a possibility that I'll be unable to make a good enough recording of it. Of course I have some backups if that turns out to be the case.
You teased us with this before, Ganddalf. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's Sinding or Kjerulf.

I mentioned at that time that I'm working on a piece by an Austrian composer but not Haydn. It's technically easy but interpretively demanding. Recording is being hampered (though I'm still quietly confident) by having to concentrate on the Mendelssohn and, as luck would have it, the Grieg Notturno (from the last recital) and the Liszt Consolation are being heavily revised. Nobody complained about my Chopin Nocturne but I may resubmit that as well in light of what I've learned from these last two pieces.

I'm tempted to follow Trapper's opening shot and say that I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful piece...

#2065968 - 04/17/13 11:04 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: zrtf90]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
You teased us with this before, Ganddalf. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's Sinding or Kjerulf.

Maybe you're right, time will show. I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart. smile

#2066031 - 04/17/13 01:50 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Ganddalf]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Darned red dot. I had a perfect run through, made it through the sticky arpeggios at the end, was feeling like really hot stuff, and blew the very - last - chord. Argh!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2066061 - 04/17/13 03:18 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart.
Yes, I decided to shelve the Schubert. I'm dishing up the D minor Fantasy, K. 397. smile It hasn't been in the recitals since 2007! Time for a repeat, methinks.

#2066074 - 04/17/13 03:56 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: zrtf90]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart.
Yes, I decided to shelve the Schubert. I'm dishing up the D minor Fantasy, K. 397. smile It hasn't been in the recitals since 2007! Time for a repeat, methinks.

Look forward to that. By he way I have also thought about playing Schubert at one of these recitals,but that will be later. He has some nice sonata movements....

#2066216 - 04/17/13 08:43 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Yes, Cas's voice is beautiful and honey-smooth. But on top of that, anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

#2066265 - 04/17/13 11:00 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
Valencia Offline

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: Valencia
I'm not sure I will have a piece ready for this recital. Wanted to submit Adieu! by Carl Filtsch but the Mendelssohn recital took so much of my practice time I don't think I can have this ready in a month. Maybe it will have to wait for August.

Why not submit the Mendelssohn? Many folks won't have had a chance to listen to that recital but will be listening to the ABF one.

Hi Andy, This is a good idea. Maybe I will do this. However reading over this thread I am reminded how these quarterly recitals are more formal and of the calibre of recordings everyone submits. Pretty intimidating! Maybe I'll just listen in and enjoy other peoples' contributions for this one.....

#2066352 - 04/18/13 03:02 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: MaryBee]

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
..... anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

That made me think of the film "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline speaks the most outrageous nonsense in Italian, and Jamie Lee Curtis just melts! (at the end of the film it is John Cleese speaking (what I presume is also a mish mash) Russian, to the same effect!

But yes, I agree, French is the most delicious language ever. My favourite word is grapefruit "pamplemousse".

#2066384 - 04/18/13 06:18 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

..... anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

That made me think of the film "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline speaks the most outrageous nonsense in Italian, and Jamie Lee Curtis just melts! (at the end of the film it is John Cleese speaking (what I presume is also a mish mash) Russian, to the same effect!

But yes, I agree, French is the most delicious language ever. My favourite word is grapefruit "pamplemousse".

I have a fresh pamplemousse to start my breakfast just about every morning - a pamplemousse rouge, that is...

I've always thought that Italian was the sexiest and most lyrical and romantic language - hence it's use as the language of opera (in addition to the historical connection).

I'm currently working my way through (deliciously!) "Lidia's Italy in America", the latest cookbook of Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, the very popular host of several PBS cooking shows (and restauranteur) and have wished that she had included a glossary and pronunciation guide for the frequent Italian terms she uses - but I fake it and my wife is almost impressed, referring to me as "Mr. Lidia" smile

#2066385 - 04/18/13 06:24 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Now don't get your hopes up PW members, but I recorded a little piece for the upcoming recital. When I had uploaded it to my computer and converted to MP3 then it was ready for my wife to listen. She hasn't really heard me play since I got my piano as I stuck in a little back room with the headphones on.
Her first words were "that's not you, never, no it couldn't be"

Not the sort of constructive critism I was looking for

#2066409 - 04/18/13 07:38 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I did a test recording and found so many problems. Then I went back and listened to previous submssions of this Nocturne and realized, of course, that not one was without issues. So mine may not be perfect but at least I have a few things I can focus on fixing between now and May 1st 14th!

Kawai K3

#2066437 - 04/18/13 08:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

OK - I understand a straight copy/paste, but what's a UBB link?

#2066447 - 04/18/13 09:01 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

It's the tags that you add for links to work here, like:
Code:
[url=http://google.com]Google[/url]

Kawai K3

#2066462 - 04/18/13 09:59 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

So, I finally heard the clip -- to see what the fuss was all about. Holy Moly... that should be flagged as "NSFW".

Originally Posted By: jotur
You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal!

Perhaps if someone submitted some Barry White you could erase that strike-through smokin

Or just have Cheryl say something random in French...

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2066479 - 04/18/13 10:56 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
laugh

Cathy

#2066509 - 04/18/13 11:41 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's the tags that you add for links to work here, like:
Code:
[url=http://google.com]Google[/url]

Cool Beans! Thanks Andy - I've been using some of them - just didn't know them as UBB - I'll try that when I submit my piece.

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/18/13 11:42 AM)

#2066591 - 04/18/13 02:58 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Meh. This came up sooner than I thought :P I was hoping to have something ready but I seem to have been sidetracked by learning a Chopin Nocturne instead. Ohhh well smile

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2066833 - 04/19/13 12:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
ugh. Just tried recording my piece for the first time. Lots of work to do in the next three weeks!

#2066840 - 04/19/13 12:47 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: MaryBee]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Yes, Cas's voice is beautiful and honey-smooth. But on top of that, anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

Ha! I've made BillyO read the French directions out of a Husqvarna chainsaw instruction booklet because whatever he was saying sounded really, really good!

As far as this recital goes, I'm not sure what I'm gonna play yet. I might just try to improve on an older piece or something. I've been wrapped up with my Mendelssohn piece but I want to submit a different piece for the quarterly recital.

#2066925 - 04/19/13 06:01 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I have been preparing something on and off for two months... finally made it to the last measures, thought I'd try a recording playing from memory... well I instantly forgot half the notes laugh Second take was a bit better but still something to be ashamed of.

It's an easy arrangement, I've learned just 3 out of 5 pages, and I'm still making mistakes/forgetting where I am altogether even at a super snail pace so... we'll see!

#2066966 - 04/19/13 08:23 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

The compelling "voice" on my truck's GPS is that of "Jane" and it's English and it's very alluring - and it was specifically chosen for these two reasons.

However, Jane's days could be numbered if our honorary Italian lady friend would only agree to become a GPS voice - although trying to follow her directions in either French or Italian could prove to be immediately and lethally disastrous for those of us who are not quite fluent in either...

#2066981 - 04/19/13 08:52 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

The compelling "voice" on my truck's GPS is that of "Jane" and it's English and it's very alluring - and it was specifically chosen for these two reasons.

However, Jane's days could be numbered if our honorary Italian lady friend would only agree to become a GPS voice - although trying to follow her directions in either French or Italian could prove to be immediately and lethally disastrous for those of us who are not quite fluent in either...

lol... Buongiorno Trapper Lidia!
Our gps has a woman's voice, and she speaks Italian - only because when we drive in Italy, the British voice couldn't cope with the Italian street names. Mind you the Italian voice sometimes comes out with some doozies of mispronunciation!!

In the interests of public safety, I will not volunteer to make any gps recordings wink

(Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!)

#2066993 - 04/19/13 09:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

lol... Buongiorno Trapper Lidia!
Our gps has a woman's voice, and she speaks Italian - only because when we drive in Italy, the British voice couldn't cope with the Italian street names. Mind you the Italian voice sometimes comes out with some doozies of mispronunciation!!

In the interests of public safety, I will not volunteer to make any gps recordings wink

(Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!)

I've always wanted to hear the Swedish Chef as a GPS voice. Or Mr. T would do, either one.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2067121 - 04/19/13 01:06 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!

Be careful about flirting with the GPS person. Be very careful.

Personally, I've never been good at navigating. Got lost once in a town with only two streets. So my wife has always been our navigator. She's good at it, she's proud of it. She has successfully guided us in all our travels. But when GPS came along, and I started listening to the GPS lady instead of my wife,... well, you can guess what kind of resentments and suspicions this gave rise to. I tell ya, I'm on the defensive now. How often do I have to say it? "Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Once in a while I deliberately ignore GPS lady. It is worth getting lost, just to allay suspicions.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
65 registered (Abby Pianoman, bennevis, bgiles, 17 invisible), 914 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308106 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
08/29/14 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
08/29/14 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission