Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2064815 - 04/15/13 06:38 AM The "One Month to Recital" Thread
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
So tell us what you're working on for the upcoming May 15th ABF Quarterly Recital...

I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful song from the musical "Les Misérables"...

Edited to insert "accent acute"...

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/15/13 07:47 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2064831 - 04/15/13 07:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I think I should start getting some recordings early. See if one shines. But I suspect I'll be recording it right up to the day!

Chopin Nocturne in Eb ....

Kawai K3

#2064837 - 04/15/13 07:53 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
ACK! I hope my tuner can come before I want to record- I'd really like this piece to be recorded on the acoustic!

Stephen Heller: An Old Romance!

#2064839 - 04/15/13 08:03 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
I still do not know... I have an original piece but it's still too "raw"... I think I will keep this piece for the recital of August.
The alternative is to (re)send a piece that I sent to the ABF in 2010 but has now been mixed in a studio by a friend of mine. The result is very unique smile

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2064843 - 04/15/13 08:09 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Already??? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I've been working steadily on the latest installment of my "Message From Space" works. This one is called "Funérailles" and the premise is that our visitor has received some very sad news from away. I'll either go with that or an Eric Satie.

#2064849 - 04/15/13 08:28 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: CarlosCC]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Oh no! Not already! I am not close to being ready.

I was planning on either a Chopin Nocturne that's never been played in the ABF recitals, or a 21st century composition with a glissando at the end (big finish!).

Sam

#2064860 - 04/15/13 08:48 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
My Recital piece will be either the exquisite Nocturne by Vazha Azarashvili or the Edward Elgar Salut d'Amour.

Azarashvili is a composer who lives in Georgia; the country, not the state. And of course Elgar is the Pomp and Circumstance-Graduation March guy.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#2064861 - 04/15/13 08:54 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I've been casually playing about with Debussy's Voiles for the last month or so.It might just be doable if I can tame the tricky animated section in the middle of it.That two bar section raises the technical difficulty level of the piece by a couple of notches.

Edited by timmyab (04/15/13 08:56 AM)

#2064876 - 04/15/13 09:23 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
ACK! I hope my tuner can come before I want to record- I'd really like this piece to be recorded on the acoustic!

Me too... contacting him today, I keep procrastinating on that.

Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 7 isn't ready, maybe in time if I really apply myself. I have other longer term piano priorities though (10 year wedding anniversary is coming up in less than three months), so I'm not inclined to spend all that much time on it.

I'm tempted then to just do "Just The Way You Are" again to get feedback on the acoustic. I realize now that while my left/right dynamics are not that great, the digital exacerbated this quite a bit for my Feb 15th submission. With only 5 levels of touch sensitivity, you basically have to be feather light on the left and pounding on the right to get a good balance. It's actually much more difficult than on the acoustic, there the touch is limited only by the consistency of the action (sadly, I have not yet had my spinet Stanwoodized smile ).

Best of luck to all in your preparations!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2064878 - 04/15/13 09:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Good for you to be ready already with the Eb Nocturne, Andy. I was thinking of doing my rendition in a much later recital as not ready for public consumption. It will be nice to hear and get some some ideas from you and Sam on this one.

Planning on ... Chopin A flat Waltz

Still struggling with cleaning up three measures. If you ever played this piece, you know the ones smile

#2064884 - 04/15/13 09:37 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener
Still struggling with cleaning up three measures. If you ever played this piece, you know the ones smile

I've never learnt this piece but I can mostly play it through at a reasonable tempo. Except for three measures. wink (Actually a few more than that where it slows down a bit too much.)

Kawai K3

#2064892 - 04/15/13 09:51 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful song from the musical "Les Miserables"...

Can someone tell me how to insert that "accent grave" mark (I think it's called) above the first e in Miserables?

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2064904 - 04/15/13 10:13 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

It's an acute accent. Either find somewhere else on the web that has already done it and copy the letter from there, or use the codes for grave and acute accents as follows:
Code:
è
é

è
é
"Les Misérables"

Here's a reference page for all sorts of accents, which I found by googling "html accented character codes".

#2064910 - 04/15/13 10:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Pianostudent88 - help!!!!!

&acirc
&13843
&#192

What am I doing wrong?

&egrave

Do you also hold down some key?

#2064911 - 04/15/13 10:26 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good for you to be ready already with the Eb Nocturne, Andy. I was thinking of doing my rendition in a much later recital as not ready for public consumption. It will be nice to hear and get some some ideas from you and Sam on this one.

#34? eek

XXIX-XXXII

#2064915 - 04/15/13 10:33 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Offline

Trapper it is acute, é

Press the ALT key - hold it down and type 0233, release the ALT, and voila...I mean voilà smile

Greener...yes, I know smile 3 +5 !!!! deadly!
smile

Edited by casinitaly (04/15/13 10:34 AM)

#2064919 - 04/15/13 10:39 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Well, I am afraid of jinxing myself by saying this, but Chopin Nocturne in F minor (55-1) will be my May recital. My tuner doesn't come until May 8 for the first tuning of my new piano, so I will probably record an "insurance" copy on the Avant Grand in the next week or so. At least the video will be on the acoustic!

#2064921 - 04/15/13 10:45 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: keystring]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: keystring
Pianostudent88 - help!!!!!

&acirc
&13843
&#192

What am I doing wrong?

&egrave
Try putting a semi-colon after it.

#2064922 - 04/15/13 10:46 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I plan to submit "Two Trees" from Einaudi's "In a Time Lapse" album. I've got it memorized and am happy with how I play it without the Red Dot. (Yeah, I know, I know. whome )

#2064926 - 04/15/13 10:52 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

[cross-posted]

MaryBee has it: you need the semi-colon at the end of the code.

I can't seem to get casinitaly's ALT method to work; in any case I prefer using the &...; codes because I can remember the word names for the codes better than I can remember the numerical codes for the ALT method.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (04/15/13 11:20 AM)

#2064929 - 04/15/13 10:57 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I plan to submit "Two Trees" from Einaudi's "In a Time Lapse" album. I've got it memorized and am happy with how I play it without the Red Dot. (Yeah, I know, I know. whome )

Great! I love this piece!
thumb

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2064930 - 04/15/13 10:57 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Greener Offline

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

#34? eek

smile

Sorry guys, not following either one of you here:

... not sure what you mean by #34, TallGuy. Or, 3 +5 Cas.

I'm trying and have feeling I will feel dumb when you tell me sick

#2064931 - 04/15/13 11:02 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Do you mean that you know the red dot is a killer ... or that it's yet more Einaudi?! wink

Kawai K3

#2064932 - 04/15/13 11:08 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I've had my recording ready since Saturday. I may re-record still, but I don't think I will. I'll be submitting the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2064933 - 04/15/13 11:08 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Since I missed the last recital I've had a piece ready for months smile Cinnamonbear over in the Pianists Corner was cleaing out his duplicates and I put in dibs, and he kindly sent them to me. One of them is a 1943 Johnny Mercer piece called "GI Jive". Way too much fun smile

Cathy

#2064942 - 04/15/13 11:34 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

#34? eek

... not sure what you mean by #34, TallGuy.

I'm assuming that your Chopin Waltz in A-flat is Op. 69, not Op. 34 -- which would be a tremendously more difficult piece.

XXIX-XXXII

#2064953 - 04/15/13 12:08 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: SwissMS]
Valencia Offline

I'm not sure I will have a piece ready for this recital. Wanted to submit Adieu! by Carl Filtsch but the Mendelssohn recital took so much of my practice time I don't think I can have this ready in a month. Maybe it will have to wait for August.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Well, I am afraid of jinxing myself by saying this, but Chopin Nocturne in F minor (55-1) will be my May recital.

I look forward to hearing this nocturne SwissMS! I'm learning this piece right now too. (still putting it together and have a long way to go).

#2064955 - 04/15/13 12:13 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
casinitaly Offline

#34? eek

smile

I believe TallGuy is asking Waltz A min Op 34?

Which is probably the one you are playing.

My comment supposed you were playing Waltz in Amin, Posthumous, wherein at bar 21, there is a tricky bit with a triplet (3) immediately followed by a "quintuplet" (5).

#2064959 - 04/15/13 12:18 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Valencia]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Valencia
I'm not sure I will have a piece ready for this recital. Wanted to submit Adieu! by Carl Filtsch but the Mendelssohn recital took so much of my practice time I don't think I can have this ready in a month. Maybe it will have to wait for August.

Why not submit the Mendelssohn? Many folks won't have had a chance to listen to that recital but will be listening to the ABF one.

Kawai K3

#2064969 - 04/15/13 12:36 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Greener Offline

#34? eek

smile

I believe TallGuy is asking Waltz A min Op 34?

Which is probably the one you are playing.

My comment supposed you were playing Waltz in Amin, Posthumous, wherein at bar 21, there is a tricky bit with a triplet (3) immediately followed by a "quintuplet" (5).

OK, making more sense now ... thanks for clarifying.

No worries everyone ... It is Op 69 no 1 (I should have said waltz in A flat major.) My rendition is beautiful throughout but a train wreck for 3 measures. Just enough to destroy the piece as the disasters are nicely spread out ... smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 48 invisible), 1728 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156153 Topics
2293208 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
16 seconds ago
Can You, Will You Help?
by Piano World
39 minutes 23 seconds ago
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
Today at 09:33 AM
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
Today at 08:58 AM
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission