Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2064815 - 04/15/13 06:38 AM The "One Month to Recital" Thread
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
So tell us what you're working on for the upcoming May 15th ABF Quarterly Recital...

I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful song from the musical "Les Misérables"...

Edited to insert "accent acute"...

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/15/13 07:47 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2064831 - 04/15/13 07:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I think I should start getting some recordings early. See if one shines. But I suspect I'll be recording it right up to the day!

Chopin Nocturne in Eb ....

Kawai K3

#2064837 - 04/15/13 07:53 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
ACK! I hope my tuner can come before I want to record- I'd really like this piece to be recorded on the acoustic!

Stephen Heller: An Old Romance!

#2064839 - 04/15/13 08:03 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I still do not know... I have an original piece but it's still too "raw"... I think I will keep this piece for the recital of August.
The alternative is to (re)send a piece that I sent to the ABF in 2010 but has now been mixed in a studio by a friend of mine. The result is very unique smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2064843 - 04/15/13 08:09 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Already??? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I've been working steadily on the latest installment of my "Message From Space" works. This one is called "Funérailles" and the premise is that our visitor has received some very sad news from away. I'll either go with that or an Eric Satie.

#2064849 - 04/15/13 08:28 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: CarlosCC]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Oh no! Not already! I am not close to being ready.

I was planning on either a Chopin Nocturne that's never been played in the ABF recitals, or a 21st century composition with a glissando at the end (big finish!).

Sam

#2064860 - 04/15/13 08:48 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
My Recital piece will be either the exquisite Nocturne by Vazha Azarashvili or the Edward Elgar Salut d'Amour.

Azarashvili is a composer who lives in Georgia; the country, not the state. And of course Elgar is the Pomp and Circumstance-Graduation March guy.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#2064861 - 04/15/13 08:54 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I've been casually playing about with Debussy's Voiles for the last month or so.It might just be doable if I can tame the tricky animated section in the middle of it.That two bar section raises the technical difficulty level of the piece by a couple of notches.

Edited by timmyab (04/15/13 08:56 AM)

#2064876 - 04/15/13 09:23 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
ACK! I hope my tuner can come before I want to record- I'd really like this piece to be recorded on the acoustic!

Me too... contacting him today, I keep procrastinating on that.

Chopin Prelude Op. 28, No. 7 isn't ready, maybe in time if I really apply myself. I have other longer term piano priorities though (10 year wedding anniversary is coming up in less than three months), so I'm not inclined to spend all that much time on it.

I'm tempted then to just do "Just The Way You Are" again to get feedback on the acoustic. I realize now that while my left/right dynamics are not that great, the digital exacerbated this quite a bit for my Feb 15th submission. With only 5 levels of touch sensitivity, you basically have to be feather light on the left and pounding on the right to get a good balance. It's actually much more difficult than on the acoustic, there the touch is limited only by the consistency of the action (sadly, I have not yet had my spinet Stanwoodized smile ).

Best of luck to all in your preparations!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2064878 - 04/15/13 09:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Good for you to be ready already with the Eb Nocturne, Andy. I was thinking of doing my rendition in a much later recital as not ready for public consumption. It will be nice to hear and get some some ideas from you and Sam on this one.

Planning on ... Chopin A flat Waltz

Still struggling with cleaning up three measures. If you ever played this piece, you know the ones smile

#2064884 - 04/15/13 09:37 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener
Still struggling with cleaning up three measures. If you ever played this piece, you know the ones smile

I've never learnt this piece but I can mostly play it through at a reasonable tempo. Except for three measures. wink (Actually a few more than that where it slows down a bit too much.)

Kawai K3

#2064892 - 04/15/13 09:51 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful song from the musical "Les Miserables"...

Can someone tell me how to insert that "accent grave" mark (I think it's called) above the first e in Miserables?

#2064904 - 04/15/13 10:13 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's an acute accent. Either find somewhere else on the web that has already done it and copy the letter from there, or use the codes for grave and acute accents as follows:
Code:
è
é

è
é
"Les Misérables"

Here's a reference page for all sorts of accents, which I found by googling "html accented character codes".

#2064910 - 04/15/13 10:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Pianostudent88 - help!!!!!

&acirc
&13843
&#192

What am I doing wrong?

&egrave

Do you also hold down some key?

#2064911 - 04/15/13 10:26 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good for you to be ready already with the Eb Nocturne, Andy. I was thinking of doing my rendition in a much later recital as not ready for public consumption. It will be nice to hear and get some some ideas from you and Sam on this one.

#34? eek

XXIX-XXXII

#2064915 - 04/15/13 10:33 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

Trapper it is acute, é

Press the ALT key - hold it down and type 0233, release the ALT, and voila...I mean voilà smile

Greener...yes, I know smile 3 +5 !!!! deadly!
smile

Edited by casinitaly (04/15/13 10:34 AM)

#2064919 - 04/15/13 10:39 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Well, I am afraid of jinxing myself by saying this, but Chopin Nocturne in F minor (55-1) will be my May recital. My tuner doesn't come until May 8 for the first tuning of my new piano, so I will probably record an "insurance" copy on the Avant Grand in the next week or so. At least the video will be on the acoustic!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2064921 - 04/15/13 10:45 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: keystring]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: keystring
Pianostudent88 - help!!!!!

&acirc
&13843
&#192

What am I doing wrong?

&egrave
Try putting a semi-colon after it.

#2064922 - 04/15/13 10:46 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I plan to submit "Two Trees" from Einaudi's "In a Time Lapse" album. I've got it memorized and am happy with how I play it without the Red Dot. (Yeah, I know, I know. whome )

#2064926 - 04/15/13 10:52 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

[cross-posted]

MaryBee has it: you need the semi-colon at the end of the code.

I can't seem to get casinitaly's ALT method to work; in any case I prefer using the &...; codes because I can remember the word names for the codes better than I can remember the numerical codes for the ALT method.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (04/15/13 11:20 AM)

#2064929 - 04/15/13 10:57 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
I plan to submit "Two Trees" from Einaudi's "In a Time Lapse" album. I've got it memorized and am happy with how I play it without the Red Dot. (Yeah, I know, I know. whome )

Great! I love this piece!
thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2064930 - 04/15/13 10:57 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Greener Offline

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH

#34? eek

smile

Sorry guys, not following either one of you here:

... not sure what you mean by #34, TallGuy. Or, 3 +5 Cas.

I'm trying and have feeling I will feel dumb when you tell me sick

#2064931 - 04/15/13 11:02 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Do you mean that you know the red dot is a killer ... or that it's yet more Einaudi?! wink

Kawai K3

#2064932 - 04/15/13 11:08 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I've had my recording ready since Saturday. I may re-record still, but I don't think I will. I'll be submitting the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2064933 - 04/15/13 11:08 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Since I missed the last recital I've had a piece ready for months smile Cinnamonbear over in the Pianists Corner was cleaing out his duplicates and I put in dibs, and he kindly sent them to me. One of them is a 1943 Johnny Mercer piece called "GI Jive". Way too much fun smile

Cathy

#2064942 - 04/15/13 11:34 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

#34? eek

... not sure what you mean by #34, TallGuy.

I'm assuming that your Chopin Waltz in A-flat is Op. 69, not Op. 34 -- which would be a tremendously more difficult piece.

XXIX-XXXII

#2064953 - 04/15/13 12:08 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: SwissMS]
Valencia Offline

I'm not sure I will have a piece ready for this recital. Wanted to submit Adieu! by Carl Filtsch but the Mendelssohn recital took so much of my practice time I don't think I can have this ready in a month. Maybe it will have to wait for August.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Well, I am afraid of jinxing myself by saying this, but Chopin Nocturne in F minor (55-1) will be my May recital.

I look forward to hearing this nocturne SwissMS! I'm learning this piece right now too. (still putting it together and have a long way to go).

#2064955 - 04/15/13 12:13 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Greener]

#34? eek

smile

I believe TallGuy is asking Waltz A min Op 34?

Which is probably the one you are playing.

My comment supposed you were playing Waltz in Amin, Posthumous, wherein at bar 21, there is a tricky bit with a triplet (3) immediately followed by a "quintuplet" (5).

#2064959 - 04/15/13 12:18 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Valencia]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Valencia
I'm not sure I will have a piece ready for this recital. Wanted to submit Adieu! by Carl Filtsch but the Mendelssohn recital took so much of my practice time I don't think I can have this ready in a month. Maybe it will have to wait for August.

Why not submit the Mendelssohn? Many folks won't have had a chance to listen to that recital but will be listening to the ABF one.

Kawai K3

#2064969 - 04/15/13 12:36 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Greener Offline

#34? eek

smile

I believe TallGuy is asking Waltz A min Op 34?

Which is probably the one you are playing.

My comment supposed you were playing Waltz in Amin, Posthumous, wherein at bar 21, there is a tricky bit with a triplet (3) immediately followed by a "quintuplet" (5).

OK, making more sense now ... thanks for clarifying.

No worries everyone ... It is Op 69 no 1 (I should have said waltz in A flat major.) My rendition is beautiful throughout but a train wreck for 3 measures. Just enough to destroy the piece as the disasters are nicely spread out ... smile

#2064982 - 04/15/13 01:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: PianoStudent88]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
It's an acute accent. Either find somewhere else on the web that has already done it and copy the letter from there, or use the codes for grave and acute accents as follows:

è
é

"Les Misérables"

Thanks PS88 - I didn't know there were codes for these things - let me try it:

"Les Misérables"

Wonderful! Now, can anyone give me the exact French pronunciation of Misérables?

Here's a little side note: According to Shelby Foot in his 3-volume history of the American Civil War Victor Hugo's monumental classic novel was very popular with soldiers on both sides, the North and the South (at least those who could read laugh ) - some of the troops from the South under General Robert E. Lee, who were poorly fed and clothed and who were forced to march long distances and fight terrible battles in the worst weather, referred to themselves as "Lee's Miserables" smile

#2064983 - 04/15/13 01:20 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Is it too late to join this recital?

#2064985 - 04/15/13 01:23 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Not at all... in fact, I won't be opening the thread for submissions until May 1st. smile But the recital is a big thing around here, so we like to talk about it long before and after each one.

Welcome to the forum, btw! smile

#2064986 - 04/15/13 01:24 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Do you mean that you know the red dot is a killer ... or that it's yet more Einaudi?! wink

I had meant the former, but the latter is just as applicable. laugh

#2064987 - 04/15/13 01:26 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

"Les Misérables"

Wonderful! Now, can anyone give me the exact French pronunciation of Misérables?

Here's a little side note: According to Shelby Foot in his 3-volume history of the American Civil War Victor Hugo's monumental classic novel was very popular with soldiers on both sides, the North and the South (at least those who could read laugh ) - some of the troops from the South under General Robert E. Lee, who were poorly fed and clothed and who were forced to march long distances and fight terrible battles in the worst weather, referred to themselves as "Lee's Miserables" smile

https://www.box.com/s/ktmkc0n0quza8sxy6e5y

Interesting anecdote from the Civil War!

#2064995 - 04/15/13 01:37 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
ElleC Offline

Not at all... in fact, I won't be opening the thread for submissions until May 1st. smile But the recital is a big thing around here, so we like to talk about it long before and after each one.

Welcome to the forum, btw! smile

Wonderful! Thank you... this gives me motivation to really work on this prelude i've been trying to learn for the past couple of weeks =)

#2065017 - 04/15/13 02:25 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
One of these i will partake in... im guessing itll be the pollonaise in gm but only just got the notes under my fingers :-)

#2065023 - 04/15/13 02:34 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I wouldn't call this exact, and not solely because I can't convey a French "R" but "lay mee-zay-RAH-bluh" is my inept representation of it.

#2065050 - 04/15/13 03:51 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Last recital I had to pull a last minute cram session in order to submit the tune I really wanted too even though the piece wasn't totally ready. [Yes, once again, I 'peaked' after the recital].

Anyway, I thought to get a head start on this recital and started practicing my new piece right away.

New problem: I 'peaked' about a week ago and am now so sick of playing the piece over and over that I just cannot put the emotional input into it that it deserves. Fortunately, I work on several tunes at any given time but timing the 'peak' is still difficult for me to do.

This seems to be the case because I have yet to figure out how many cycles I can perform a piece before I get sick of it. This is not a joke as I am serious.

I have the ability to take a newly discovered melody and learn it to the point where it gives me goosebumps. [Really, I'm very sensitive]. But after playing the piece over and over, I notice an inverse relationship occurring in that as I get better at playing the piece I also start becoming jaded with it.

I think this occurrence happens because the original 'stimulant' of the melody stats becoming a little diluted over time.

So, now I'm at the point where I either need to forget about the piece I learned and hope to rediscover it again in a few weeks so I can put the emotion back into the piece...[cuz I can't fake it], or I need to start cramming once again in order to have something ready in a couple of weeks.

Vicious cycle I'm telling you!

#2065083 - 04/15/13 04:47 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Last recital I had to pull a last minute cram session in order to submit the tune I really wanted too even though the piece wasn't totally ready. [Yes, once again, I 'peaked' after the recital].

Anyway, I thought to get a head start on this recital and started practicing my new piece right away.

New problem: I 'peaked' about a week ago and am now so sick of playing the piece over and over that I just cannot put the emotional input into it that it deserves. Fortunately, I work on several tunes at any given time but timing the 'peak' is still difficult for me to do.

This seems to be the case because I have yet to figure out how many cycles I can perform a piece before I get sick of it. This is not a joke as I am serious.

I have the ability to take a newly discovered melody and learn it to the point where it gives me goosebumps. [Really, I'm very sensitive]. But after playing the piece over and over, I notice an inverse relationship occurring in that as I get better at playing the piece I also start becoming jaded with it.

I think this occurrence happens because the original 'stimulant' of the melody stats becoming a little diluted over time.

So, now I'm at the point where I either need to forget about the piece I learned and hope to rediscover it again in a few weeks so I can put the emotion back into the piece...[cuz I can't fake it], or I need to start cramming once again in order to have something ready in a couple of weeks.

Just record regularly! Go back one recording when you hit the 1st jaded one? smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2065110 - 04/15/13 05:57 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
stumbler Offline

Last recital I tried to cram out a piece at the last moment --- failed miserably. Did not contribute.
I find that last 10% of finishing a piece is a killer.
This time I hope to succeed. Maybe Villa Lobos, A Lenda Do Caboclo; or Scarlatti K380.

#2065139 - 04/15/13 07:28 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I was hoping to view or hear previous recitals but the link on the page "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forurm" seems to be broken - any ideas

#2065145 - 04/15/13 07:42 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

I wouldn't call this exact, and not solely because I can't convey a French "R" but "lay mee-zay-RAH-bluh" is my inept representation of it.

https://www.box.com/s/ktmkc0n0quza8sxy6e5y

Interesting anecdote from the Civil War!

Thanks both of you for the pronunciation assistance - Cheryl, that has to be the shortest shared file ever on Box laugh

#2065157 - 04/15/13 08:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Just record regularly! Go back one recording when you hit the 1st jaded one? smile

This is a good suggestion and would, or could work but in order for that to happen I would need to record every session whether it is on the digital or the acoustic piano and I just am too lazy to do that. But I'm not a slacker. It's just that I always feel that I can play a piece even better if I practice it more so I usually never record myself unless I am about to run out of time for the recital submission date. It is that date that ultimately forces me to make a recording.

The problem is when I actually do make the recording, I find that I either could have benefited by spending even more time practicing the piece,....or,... the 'sweet spot' of my abilities to perform the piece has come and gone. I find getting it back IS doable but is so much easier if some time has gone by. ...And, if some time has gone by before I try and perform it again, it won't be the same because I will end up playing it differently anyway which in turn makes it into an entirely new piece once again.

I'm telling you, it really is a vicious cycle.

#2065177 - 04/15/13 09:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: earlofmar]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
I was hoping to view or hear previous recitals but the link on the page "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forurm" seems to be broken - any ideas

Oops!! We need to change that. A couple of recitals back we moved everything to the PW servers, and it's been a long process of changing all the old links. The best way to browse past recitals is to use the absolutely marvelous searchable index that Sam Smith created and maintains for us:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

#2065180 - 04/15/13 09:20 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By: earlofmar

Oops!! We need to change that. A couple of recitals back we moved everything to the PW servers, and it's been a long process of changing all the old links. The best way to browse past recitals is to use the absolutely marvelous searchable index that Sam Smith created and maintains for us:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Link fixed.

#2065201 - 04/15/13 10:13 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm telling you, it really is a vicious cycle.

I suggest looking up the gentleman who initiated all this quarterly torment, and give him a piece of your mind.

Edited by aTallGuyNH (04/15/13 10:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed smiley... I think it's actually funnier that way.

XXIX-XXXII

#2065296 - 04/16/13 01:28 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Haha, your right TallGuy. A labor of love or self imposed stress? Sometimes that line can get a bit blurred.

In addition, once recital recording time comes around, the subtle differences in our recordings are probably not even that noticeable to everyone else. Of course we can hear it like certain sounds are only heard by dogs but that's just the way it goes. Also, the better you can perform a piece, the more the mistakes you make will bug you. That's because you know you are capable of playing it correctly'... however you realized that you just screwed up.

Which of course leads back to the beginning of the vicious cycle.

#2065323 - 04/16/13 02:22 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]

In addition, once recital recording time comes around, the subtle differences in our recordings are probably not even that noticeable to everyone else. Of course we can hear it like certain sounds are only heard by dogs but that's just the way it goes. Also, the better you can perform a piece, the more the mistakes you make will bug you. That's because you know you are capable of playing it correctly'... however you realized that you just screwed up.

How true!
Sometimes I find that I get one recording that is "note perfect" but it doesn't have the "zing", or the "heart". 2 or 3 times now, I've used a less "perfect" (I use the term loosely!) recording for one that has the right energy.

Maybe a week or so of time off from your piece will allow you to go back to it with renewed energy and heart?

#2065330 - 04/16/13 02:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My coming piece was already recorded shortly after the previous recital. Maybe I can still improve on it but that will always be the case :-/

#2065424 - 04/16/13 09:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

#2065432 - 04/16/13 10:03 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've never tried it, but I'm assuming that it's possible to insert a webpage link (such as to YouTube) into the "Additional Comments" section of one's Recital submission - can anyone verify this?

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

Kawai K3

#2065443 - 04/16/13 10:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Is this different from the monthly recital like the April one that I just participated in? If so, how is it different?

#2065448 - 04/16/13 10:47 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I've missed the last two recitals so I'm hoping to make this one:)
Ive been working on hungary rhapsodie by carl koelling. Hopefully it will be ready by time the recital comes around. I imagine it will be since I have play it for my final exam; well at least half of it:)... Let me just say. I'm starting to really dislike this peace! I've been working on it since January and still haven't gotten to the end of the piece. I can't wait until its finished!:) This class has been rewarding though:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#2065454 - 04/16/13 10:50 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: keystring]
Monica K. Offline

Is this different from the monthly recital like the April one that I just participated in? If so, how is it different?

[Monica starts to wonder where keystring has been the past 6 years...]

Yes, it's different. It's (relatively) more formal, and it's held on a quarterly basis. You can read the history of it on the main recital webpage:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

#2065476 - 04/16/13 11:22 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

[Monica starts to wonder where keystring has been the past 6 years...]

Yes, it's different. It's (relatively) more formal, and it's held on a quarterly basis. You can read the history of it on the main recital webpage:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

I don't think of the monthly threads as a recital - it's a bar without the bouncers. You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal! Sort of open mic in the ABF laugh

Cathy

#2065497 - 04/16/13 12:07 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

Thanks both of you for the pronunciation assistance - Cheryl, that has to be the shortest shared file ever on Box laugh

smile Yes, quite possibly lol.

It took MUCH longer to save, format as mp3, upload, and post about than it did to record! (not that it took a long time, but the difference was amusing. )

I am looking forward to hearing your piece TJ.

I got some more help on mine from my teacher during the lesson today - new techniques, if implemented well, will help me play it at a much more dynamic tempo!

#2065572 - 04/16/13 01:33 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

I don't think of the monthly threads as a recital - it's a bar without the bouncers. You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal! Sort of open mic in the ABF laugh

Cathy

smile

Ah, but they do have a bouncer - his name is Greg... eek

#2065575 - 04/16/13 01:36 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am looking forward to hearing your piece TJ.

I got some more help on mine from my teacher during the lesson today - new techniques, if implemented well, will help me play it at a much more dynamic tempo!

Looking forward to hearing yours too...

Have you seen "Les Mis"? - are you familiar with the marvelous music that runs thru it continuously from beginning to end?

#2065586 - 04/16/13 02:24 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

TJ - oh yeah smile

Cathy

#2065589 - 04/16/13 02:33 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal!

Perhaps if someone submitted some Barry White you could erase that strike-through smokin

Kawai K3

#2065636 - 04/16/13 05:00 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

Have you seen "Les Mis"? - are you familiar with the marvelous music that runs thru it continuously from beginning to end?

Yes I have seen it - I saw it on Broadway circa 1990!
I was visiting the Big Apple, from my hometown in Ottawa, in the company of 2 bus loads of Girl Guide leaders! Wonderful show, wonderful weekend.

I have seen clips of the recent film production and am very much looking forward to seeing it as well.

In the meantime....your music will tide me over smile

edited to add: btw.... my pronunciation clip has had more hits than my second submission to the April Piano Bar...how weird is that? crazy

Edited by casinitaly (04/16/13 05:31 PM)

#2065680 - 04/16/13 06:41 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have seen clips of the recent film production and am very much looking forward to seeing it as well.

edited to add: btw.... my pronunciation clip has had more hits than my second submission to the April Piano Bar...how weird is that? crazy

I was very disappointed with the movie - the singing was mediocre at best and terrible at worst - the music is powerful and demands great skill - see another live show if you can, where the cast is chosen based on sheer, unadulterated talent and not "star power"...

I'm not surprised at the popularity of your clip - it is pretty sexy - word must be spreading... smile

#2065820 - 04/17/13 02:14 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

I was very disappointed with the movie - the singing was mediocre at best and terrible at worst - the music is powerful and demands great skill - see another live show if you can, where the cast is chosen based on sheer, unadulterated talent and not "star power"...

I'm not surprised at the popularity of your clip - it is pretty sexy - word must be spreading... smile

Well...I'm still curious about the film, but my enthusiasm is moderated smile

As for the recording...lol.... I'd make one for
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune de Claude Debussy...but this is a family-rated forum wink

#2065824 - 04/17/13 02:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
But it's the -adult- beginners forum, right?

#2065868 - 04/17/13 06:22 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I plan to play a very famous piece of a Norwegian composer (not Grieg) this time. However, I don't want to tell you which piece before I have submitted the recording. It is technically very demanding, and there is a possibility that I'll be unable to make a good enough recording of it. Of course I have some backups if that turns out to be the case.

#2065875 - 04/17/13 06:55 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: Ganddalf
I plan to play a very famous piece of a Norwegian composer (not Grieg) this time. However, I don't want to tell you which piece before I have submitted the recording. It is technically very demanding, and there is a possibility that I'll be unable to make a good enough recording of it. Of course I have some backups if that turns out to be the case.
You teased us with this before, Ganddalf. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's Sinding or Kjerulf.

I mentioned at that time that I'm working on a piece by an Austrian composer but not Haydn. It's technically easy but interpretively demanding. Recording is being hampered (though I'm still quietly confident) by having to concentrate on the Mendelssohn and, as luck would have it, the Grieg Notturno (from the last recital) and the Liszt Consolation are being heavily revised. Nobody complained about my Chopin Nocturne but I may resubmit that as well in light of what I've learned from these last two pieces.

I'm tempted to follow Trapper's opening shot and say that I'm putting the finishing touches on an emotionally wrenching but hauntingly beautiful piece...

#2065968 - 04/17/13 11:04 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: zrtf90]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
You teased us with this before, Ganddalf. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess it's Sinding or Kjerulf.

Maybe you're right, time will show. I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart. smile

#2066031 - 04/17/13 01:50 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Ganddalf]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Darned red dot. I had a perfect run through, made it through the sticky arpeggios at the end, was feeling like really hot stuff, and blew the very - last - chord. Argh!

Working on:
Bach - Inv. #14
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2066061 - 04/17/13 03:18 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart.
Yes, I decided to shelve the Schubert. I'm dishing up the D minor Fantasy, K. 397. smile It hasn't been in the recitals since 2007! Time for a repeat, methinks.

#2066074 - 04/17/13 03:56 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: zrtf90]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
I also have strong reason to believe that you plan to play Mozart.
Yes, I decided to shelve the Schubert. I'm dishing up the D minor Fantasy, K. 397. smile It hasn't been in the recitals since 2007! Time for a repeat, methinks.

Look forward to that. By he way I have also thought about playing Schubert at one of these recitals,but that will be later. He has some nice sonata movements....

#2066216 - 04/17/13 08:43 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, Cas's voice is beautiful and honey-smooth. But on top of that, anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

#2066265 - 04/17/13 11:00 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
Valencia Offline

Originally Posted By: Valencia

Why not submit the Mendelssohn? Many folks won't have had a chance to listen to that recital but will be listening to the ABF one.

Hi Andy, This is a good idea. Maybe I will do this. However reading over this thread I am reminded how these quarterly recitals are more formal and of the calibre of recordings everyone submits. Pretty intimidating! Maybe I'll just listen in and enjoy other peoples' contributions for this one.....

#2066352 - 04/18/13 03:02 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: MaryBee]

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
..... anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

That made me think of the film "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline speaks the most outrageous nonsense in Italian, and Jamie Lee Curtis just melts! (at the end of the film it is John Cleese speaking (what I presume is also a mish mash) Russian, to the same effect!

But yes, I agree, French is the most delicious language ever. My favourite word is grapefruit "pamplemousse".

#2066384 - 04/18/13 06:18 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

..... anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

That made me think of the film "A Fish Called Wanda", where Kevin Kline speaks the most outrageous nonsense in Italian, and Jamie Lee Curtis just melts! (at the end of the film it is John Cleese speaking (what I presume is also a mish mash) Russian, to the same effect!

But yes, I agree, French is the most delicious language ever. My favourite word is grapefruit "pamplemousse".

I have a fresh pamplemousse to start my breakfast just about every morning - a pamplemousse rouge, that is...

I've always thought that Italian was the sexiest and most lyrical and romantic language - hence it's use as the language of opera (in addition to the historical connection).

I'm currently working my way through (deliciously!) "Lidia's Italy in America", the latest cookbook of Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, the very popular host of several PBS cooking shows (and restauranteur) and have wished that she had included a glossary and pronunciation guide for the frequent Italian terms she uses - but I fake it and my wife is almost impressed, referring to me as "Mr. Lidia" smile

#2066385 - 04/18/13 06:24 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
1000 Post Club Member

Now don't get your hopes up PW members, but I recorded a little piece for the upcoming recital. When I had uploaded it to my computer and converted to MP3 then it was ready for my wife to listen. She hasn't really heard me play since I got my piano as I stuck in a little back room with the headphones on.
Her first words were "that's not you, never, no it couldn't be"

Not the sort of constructive critism I was looking for

#2066409 - 04/18/13 07:38 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I did a test recording and found so many problems. Then I went back and listened to previous submssions of this Nocturne and realized, of course, that not one was without issues. So mine may not be perfect but at least I have a few things I can focus on fixing between now and May 1st 14th!

Kawai K3

#2066437 - 04/18/13 08:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If you just put a straight http://blah.blah in there it should go through but you would have to copy / paste. I guess a UBB link would work directly so long as there isn't any attempt to strip that from the uploaded form.

OK - I understand a straight copy/paste, but what's a UBB link?

#2066447 - 04/18/13 09:01 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's the tags that you add for links to work here, like:
Code:
[url=http://google.com]Google[/url]

Kawai K3

#2066462 - 04/18/13 09:59 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

So, I finally heard the clip -- to see what the fuss was all about. Holy Moly... that should be flagged as "NSFW".

You know, smokey, drinks, people talking while you play, dancing, making out - talk about less formal!

Perhaps if someone submitted some Barry White you could erase that strike-through smokin

Or just have Cheryl say something random in French...

XXIX-XXXII

#2066479 - 04/18/13 10:56 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

laugh

Cathy

#2066509 - 04/18/13 11:41 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's the tags that you add for links to work here, like:
Code:
[url=http://google.com]Google[/url]

Cool Beans! Thanks Andy - I've been using some of them - just didn't know them as UBB - I'll try that when I submit my piece.

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/18/13 11:42 AM)

#2066591 - 04/18/13 02:58 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Meh. This came up sooner than I thought :P I was hoping to have something ready but I seem to have been sidetracked by learning a Chopin Nocturne instead. Ohhh well smile

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2066833 - 04/19/13 12:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ugh. Just tried recording my piece for the first time. Lots of work to do in the next three weeks!

#2066840 - 04/19/13 12:47 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: MaryBee]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Yes, Cas's voice is beautiful and honey-smooth. But on top of that, anything spoken in French sounds sexy, doesn't it?

Ha! I've made BillyO read the French directions out of a Husqvarna chainsaw instruction booklet because whatever he was saying sounded really, really good!

As far as this recital goes, I'm not sure what I'm gonna play yet. I might just try to improve on an older piece or something. I've been wrapped up with my Mendelssohn piece but I want to submit a different piece for the quarterly recital.

#2066925 - 04/19/13 06:01 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I have been preparing something on and off for two months... finally made it to the last measures, thought I'd try a recording playing from memory... well I instantly forgot half the notes laugh Second take was a bit better but still something to be ashamed of.

It's an easy arrangement, I've learned just 3 out of 5 pages, and I'm still making mistakes/forgetting where I am altogether even at a super snail pace so... we'll see!

#2066966 - 04/19/13 08:23 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The compelling "voice" on my truck's GPS is that of "Jane" and it's English and it's very alluring - and it was specifically chosen for these two reasons.

However, Jane's days could be numbered if our honorary Italian lady friend would only agree to become a GPS voice - although trying to follow her directions in either French or Italian could prove to be immediately and lethally disastrous for those of us who are not quite fluent in either...

#2066981 - 04/19/13 08:52 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

The compelling "voice" on my truck's GPS is that of "Jane" and it's English and it's very alluring - and it was specifically chosen for these two reasons.

However, Jane's days could be numbered if our honorary Italian lady friend would only agree to become a GPS voice - although trying to follow her directions in either French or Italian could prove to be immediately and lethally disastrous for those of us who are not quite fluent in either...

lol... Buongiorno Trapper Lidia!
Our gps has a woman's voice, and she speaks Italian - only because when we drive in Italy, the British voice couldn't cope with the Italian street names. Mind you the Italian voice sometimes comes out with some doozies of mispronunciation!!

In the interests of public safety, I will not volunteer to make any gps recordings wink

(Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!)

#2066993 - 04/19/13 09:25 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

lol... Buongiorno Trapper Lidia!
Our gps has a woman's voice, and she speaks Italian - only because when we drive in Italy, the British voice couldn't cope with the Italian street names. Mind you the Italian voice sometimes comes out with some doozies of mispronunciation!!

In the interests of public safety, I will not volunteer to make any gps recordings wink

(Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!)

I've always wanted to hear the Swedish Chef as a GPS voice. Or Mr. T would do, either one.

XXIX-XXXII

#2067121 - 04/19/13 01:06 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!

Be careful about flirting with the GPS person. Be very careful.

Personally, I've never been good at navigating. Got lost once in a town with only two streets. So my wife has always been our navigator. She's good at it, she's proud of it. She has successfully guided us in all our travels. But when GPS came along, and I started listening to the GPS lady instead of my wife,... well, you can guess what kind of resentments and suspicions this gave rise to. I tell ya, I'm on the defensive now. How often do I have to say it? "Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Once in a while I deliberately ignore GPS lady. It is worth getting lost, just to allay suspicions.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2067128 - 04/19/13 01:19 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Riddler]

Originally Posted By: Riddler

Personally, I'd like to have Sean Connery as my gps guide!

Be careful about flirting with the GPS person. Be very careful.

Personally, I've never been good at navigating. Got lost once in a town with only two streets. So my wife has always been our navigator. She's good at it, she's proud of it. She has successfully guided us in all our travels. But when GPS came along, and I started listening to the GPS lady instead of my wife,... well, you can guess what kind of resentments and suspicions this gave rise to. I tell ya, I'm on the defensive now. How often do I have to say it? "Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Once in a while I deliberately ignore GPS lady. It is worth getting lost, just to allay suspicions.

Ed

LOL Good advice Ed -

Most of the time I am the navigator, not the GPS lady. Sometimes I shout to my husband -"Don't listen to her!" --- and he, wise man that he is - ignores her.

#2067305 - 04/19/13 07:14 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Riddler]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Ed

smile

My wife strongly dislikes "Jane" my English GPS lady - it has something to do with the fact that she got us lost in Portland, Maine a couple of years ago - we were trying to bypass the city and ended up downtown - she kept saying "take the motorway" (which is English for freeway or expressway or interstate) and I did, but there were too many interconnected motorways and either Jane or I got confused (I'd like to think it was her) - my wife has never forgiven her - now when we travel she refuses to get assistance from Jane, but instead taunts her (and me) by saying things like "are you going to take the motorway here?"

But, I still have faith in Jane - when I'm driving alone I even use her during trips where I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there - her voice is so, well, a, er, reassuring...

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/19/13 07:14 PM)

#2067444 - 04/20/13 03:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

"Honestly, honey, I do NOT have a thing going with that GPS lady!!!"

Ed

smile

My wife strongly dislikes "Jane" my English GPS lady - it has something to do with the fact that she got us lost in Portland, Maine a couple of years ago - we were trying to bypass the city and ended up downtown - she kept saying "take the motorway" (which is English for freeway or expressway or interstate) and I did, but there were too many interconnected motorways and either Jane or I got confused (I'd like to think it was her) - my wife has never forgiven her - now when we travel she refuses to get assistance from Jane, but instead taunts her (and me) by saying things like "are you going to take the motorway here?"

But, I still have faith in Jane - when I'm driving alone I even use her during trips where I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there - her voice is so, well, a, er, reassuring...

lol.... Ours, which we call Nagging Nellie (because when we don't listen to her she nags us to turn around and go back), has never really lead us astray, but she too likes to try to send us up on the "autostrada"(highway) too much for my liking. There should be a way to turn off the selection of toll roads but I can't find it on mine. On two or three occasions she's helped us find beautifully scenic routes to travel...There are good days and bad with Nellie.

(We seem to have hijacked the thread...but it's your thread..hmmm, maybe we should get back on track (Oh, I sound like Nellie!)

#2067921 - 04/21/13 08:30 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

(We seem to have hijacked the thread...but it's your thread..hmmm, maybe we should get back on track (Oh, I sound like Nellie!)

OK Nellie - back on track - what was the topic? Oh yes, the Recital - my piece is now recorded - 3 times - can't figure out which is best (or least worst...) - still time for a better 4th - one of the advantages of missing a Recital - 6 months to polish your piece - sometimes still not enough...the other question - will another contentious current thread in the ABF cause complications? Probably not, but it's nice to have a little contention - just to break the monotony and stir up the blood...

#2067963 - 04/21/13 11:03 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

Do you find that other thread contentious? I don't think it is -I think some great things have come out of it.

I've been practicing like mad the past few days and my piece is coming along very nicely.

Plus the tune is scheduled for 30 April - I hope that on 1 May I'll be able to get a good recording!

#2067999 - 04/21/13 12:10 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Great news for me. This time I will make it. I am recording a Debussy piece that is not so well known. At least not as much as Clair De Lune. I'm giving myself time till a couple of days before the date and I will record it. Whatever happens happens smile

Recitals:

#2068061 - 04/21/13 02:19 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Wondered what this posting was about. May 5 recital? Dammit, I`ll need a new woolly hat for that . . . . not to mention a tune . . . when d`ya book it in for? And to who?

""

#2068073 - 04/21/13 02:42 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Do you find that other thread contentious?

Well, I would say, overall, the participants seem rather more chafed than chuffed. smile

XXIX-XXXII

#2068139 - 04/21/13 04:45 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: peterws]

Originally Posted By: peterws
Wondered what this posting was about. May 5 recital? Dammit, I`ll need a new woolly hat for that . . . . not to mention a tune . . . when d`ya book it in for? And to who?

Oh Peter, you're out ot the loop. Let me lasso you back in smile

Here in ABF we have quarterly recitals.
They happen in February, May, August, November.
Call for submissions is on the 1st of the month and you can submit any time til 9pm EST on the 14th.
The recital opens for listening on the 15th.

I think we're on number 28 now.
You can check out previous recitals here, at the wonderful index prepared by SamS :

ABF Recital Index

They're loads of fun!

TallGuy: I get it smile

#2068188 - 04/21/13 06:47 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
ElleC Offline

I'm assuming there's going to be another thread for this come May 1st? Otherwise, where/who do we submit our piece to? Also, does it have to be video as well as audio or audio only will suffice?

#2068200 - 04/21/13 07:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: ElleC]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ElleC
I'm assuming there's going to be another thread for this come May 1st? Otherwise, where/who do we submit our piece to? Also, does it have to be video as well as audio or audio only will suffice?
Audio only is just fine. Some people take video of themselves playing, others make a production of some degree or another. Many just listen to the audio and skip the videos entirely, so there should be zero pressure on that aspect (or any other for that matter).

The call for submissions will look quite like this: ABF Quarterly Recital #29

XXIX-XXXII

#2068216 - 04/21/13 08:25 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Well, I have "a" recording. But I hate recording. Not because I make mistakes - I don't make any more mistakes than anyone else. But it is such a nuisance - I have to take everything apart and move it into the office, where the computer is, and then reassemble it, plus get out the cable to hook it up. But there's no way to reach the computer comfortably from the keyboard, and I have to wear headphones, and they not only sound crappy, they sound out of tune so I'm never sure I've even played the right notes, and it's absolutely not my favorite thing to do. And then, if I want to do it more than one session I have to move the bench and the computer chair around, and I can't get around the keyboard to get to anything. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

So I have one more weekend, but I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation. Snort.

So you may have to put up with whatever I've got.

In my next life I'm going to be rich and I'll be able to afford a set up that's easy and good.

Cathy

#2068232 - 04/21/13 08:55 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I ordered a Zoom H2n today from Sweetwater.com. I hope to have it figured out in time to record something to submit. I'm clearly very optimistic that I will get the hang of the thing because I downloaded Audacity tonight too!! I am determined to be able to join in on these recitals if not in May then the next one!!

#2068242 - 04/21/13 09:04 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Well, I have "a" recording. But I hate recording. Not because I make mistakes - I don't make any more mistakes than anyone else. But it is such a nuisance - I have to take everything apart and move it into the office, where the computer is, and then reassemble it, plus get out the cable to hook it up. ...

In my next life I'm going to be rich and I'll be able to afford a set up that's easy and good.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, not sure what kind of set up you have. However, many use a portable recording device. Many on the forum have a Zoom brand device. A few have a Tascam. I use a Sony. Depending on how many features and what kind of quality a person desires, the cost might be $40 to $400 (on up if a person wants fancy). I am the low end with a used Sony voice recorder and am happy with the audio quality. A bonus is that I can use it to make field recordings.

#2068246 - 04/21/13 09:07 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I know, Sand Tiger, but at the minute $40 for a recording device is for someone rich smile

Thanks for the concern, tho.

Cathy

#2068260 - 04/21/13 09:39 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Got a few more recordings today. The last one was close, very close, but a couple of very audible gaffes mean I'll have to keep going.

Kawai K3

#2068344 - 04/22/13 12:11 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Crap - not sure I'm gonna make this one. frown

#2068432 - 04/22/13 02:57 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Sheesh! You guys are amazing. Cannot believe some of you already recorded your work. I should be doing it but have not done it yet. I will submit Bach prelude and fugue. Will start recording this week.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2069011 - 04/23/13 12:34 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: BenPiano]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Crap - not sure I'm gonna make this one. frown

May I suggest "The Secretary"? Most here have not heard it... I'm pretty sure. And I'm certain it would be well received.

XXIX-XXXII

#2069379 - 04/23/13 02:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Yeah! I got a good take on my first try today! However, I sent it to my teacher and I am sure she can find things that I could improve. So, maybe I won't celebrate yet....

Working on:
Bach - Inv. #14
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2069420 - 04/23/13 03:53 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Allard Offline

The call-for-submissions is creeping up so soon. Just mailed my tech, hopefully he has time to tune and fix my piano!

And in the meantime, I got to fix a few more issues with my recital piece laugh

#2069694 - 04/24/13 12:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
AimeeO Offline

Decided to re-record my Mendelssohn piece for the recital. I feel like I'm cheating! But my ending was so jumbled due to tension - and each subsequent recording got even worse! I think I need to break that section back down and build it back up.

#2069844 - 04/24/13 09:31 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: AimeeO]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
Decided to re-record my Mendelssohn piece for the recital. I feel like I'm cheating! But my ending was so jumbled due to tension - and each subsequent recording got even worse! I think I need to break that section back down and build it back up.

AimeeO - that's not cheating - it's a dedicated pianist's desire for self-improvement - now, if you submitted it to Ecco Fatto, or if you had Mendelssohn record it for you, that would be cheating (but good luck with that last one laugh )

#2069849 - 04/24/13 09:37 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: AimeeO]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AimeeO

I read an article on Gramophone's website about the Berlin Phil recording the Rite of Spring:

Originally Posted By: Gramophone
Like virtually all of the orchestra’s recordings under Rattle’s tenure, Rite will be released as a live recording. The process is more complicated than the name ‘Live Recording’ implies, much more than just taping the performance. They record all the performances of the concert (three, in this case), as well as the dress rehearsal (a pre-take to catch the quiet moments) and then have a patch session afterwards, if need be.

Well, if they can do that for a live recording, all bets are off for the ABF recital! wink

Kawai K3

#2069959 - 04/24/13 12:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sort of begs the question as to what exactly they wouldn't consider to be "live" in that case?

XXIX-XXXII

#2070054 - 04/24/13 04:04 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate I plan to perform Norwegian music, and it is not going to be flawlessly.

#2070067 - 04/24/13 04:29 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Ganddalf]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate

I keep looking for a smiley face/wink when I've seen people posting comments like this... but there isn't one, unfortunately.

Nobody is talking about kicking anyone off of anything. It was hyperbole (which I regret), for the sake of provoking discussion.

frown

XXIX-XXXII

#2070068 - 04/24/13 04:31 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]

I'm not sure if I'm kicked out of the quarterly recital or not (haven't been following the thread about that subject for a while). If I'm allowed to participate

I keep looking for a smiley face/wink when I've seen people posting comments like this... but there isn't one, unfortunately.

Nobody is talking about kicking anyone off of anything. It was hyperbole (which I regret), for the sake of provoking discussion.

frown

My computer is a dying cow, otherwise ATallGuy would not have beat me to the punch in telling you that there's no way you, or anyone else, is "kicked off".

We will be delighted to hear your Norwegian submission!

#2070078 - 04/24/13 04:42 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

[quote=aTallGuyNH

frown [/quote]

Of course I understand that. And just to make everything clear - I don't always add a smiley when I'm joking. smile smile smile

I made a first recording of my piece just an hour ago.I hope, however,that I can do better. Next time I'll play Bach for 30 minutes before I make an attempt.

Edited by Ganddalf (04/24/13 04:42 PM)

#2070086 - 04/24/13 04:55 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I'm planning to make my first appearance on the recital stage. I bought a Zoom recorder and plan to have a version of The Non-Pareil be Scott Joplin. I have already resigned myself to the fact that there will be a few flubs.....my goal is to keep them to a minimum! My wife was listening to one of my recording and actually gave me a compliment!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#2070127 - 04/24/13 05:47 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
FarmGirl Offline

Writing this at work. So when is it due? 5/1 or 5/15? I need to travel to NY again so if it's 5/1 it won't happen.
If its 5/15, will submit.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2070148 - 04/24/13 06:27 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Writing this at work. So when is it due? 5/1 or 5/15? I need to travel to NY again so if it's 5/1 it won't happen.
If its 5/15, will submit.

Submissions open 5/1 and close 5/15 - so there is a 2 week submission period.

Sam

#2070166 - 04/24/13 06:47 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Ganddalf]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

frown

Of course I understand that. And just to make everything clear - I don't always add a smiley when I'm joking. smile smile smile

Oh, good! I tell you, I'm getting a complex about that other thread. smile

Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
I'm planning to make my first appearance on the recital stage. I bought a Zoom recorder and plan to have a version of The Non-Pareil be Scott Joplin. I have already resigned myself to the fact that there will be a few flubs.....my goal is to keep them to a minimum! My wife was listening to one of my recording and actually gave me a compliment!

Great, new blood! smile

Spousal compliments are the best, definitely. Hearing my wife say (when I explained that I don't like to practice around her because I figure it will drive her crazy), "it's OK, I actually like to hear you play", had me beaming. I still avoid playing around her like the plague though... which I think is the key to her continuing to like it.

XXIX-XXXII

#2071210 - 04/26/13 03:48 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Allard Offline

Well darn. Piano can't be tuned until after the deadline. Now I'm not sure whether to record on the digital or just roll with whatever the grand feels like serving up. It'll probably still sound good.

#2071351 - 04/26/13 09:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam S - Phew! 5/15 it is! Thank you.

Michael - I agree with TallguyNH on that spousal compliment. I only got one in the recent past. I think , I am generalizing of course, wives are generally kinder to husbands' hobby than husbands to wives. I think they don't need to want to watch TV while you play the piano. They have much more things to do.

#2071355 - 04/26/13 09:48 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: FarmGirl]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Sam S - Phew! 5/15 it is! Thank you.

Michael - I agree with TallguyNH on that spousal compliment. I only got one in the recent past. I think , I am generalizing of course, wives are generally kinder to husbands' hobby than husbands to wives. I think they don't need to want to watch TV while you play the piano. They have much more things to do.

Pah, not in my house!!!

(But definitely my wife is kinder than my daughter.)

Kawai K3

#2071413 - 04/26/13 11:10 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Michael Taylor - yea! A new Joplin! (I actually used a recording with more mistakes but more music for my Joplin piece - mistakes are just part of the deal - music! That's what we're here for! And especially Joplin!)

Cathy

#2071543 - 04/26/13 01:29 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
AimeeO Offline

This quote from my favorite cover band has been my mantra, lately..
"So you know what if you play the wrong chord at some point, you just get more notes.. which is kind of like a better value?"

#2071586 - 04/26/13 02:24 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

So it'll be Cole Porter for me... if I can get a decent recording! I have it well memorized and flowing but there are still a couple of places where I could stumble. We'll see.

#2071695 - 04/26/13 04:59 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

I cleared a couple of hours this morning to take my first stab at recording. Alas, my neighbor ALSO cleared those hours to mow her lawn and engage in a seemingly endless bout of weed-whacking. frown

#2071735 - 04/26/13 05:55 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I cleared a couple of hours this morning to take my first stab at recording. Alas, my neighbor ALSO cleared those hours to mow her lawn and engage in a seemingly endless bout of weed-whacking. frown

Hmmmm... if you recorded anyway it could be a candidate for a "Funniest Background in a Recording" thread.

XXIX-XXXII

#2071751 - 04/26/13 06:37 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
1000 Post Club Member

Spousal compliments are the best, definitely. Hearing my wife say (when I explained that I don't like to practice around her because I figure it will drive her crazy), "it's OK, I actually like to hear you play", had me beaming. I still avoid playing around her like the plague though... which I think is the key to her continuing to like it.

My wife heard my playing for the first time in a few months when I recorded a piece recently. Her words were "that's not you, no never" not very encouraging at the time.

#2071957 - 04/27/13 06:10 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: sinophilia]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
So it'll be Cole Porter for me... if I can get a decent recording! I have it well memorized and flowing but there are still a couple of places where I could stumble. We'll see.

Cole Porter! Great!

I'm very curious to find out which of his many wonderfully lyrical and sophisticated songs you've chosen...

I did "So in Love" a few Recitals back - the man was a song writing genius!

#2071977 - 04/27/13 07:53 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

Oh poor me, it's So in Love... simplified and shortened and stretched to a snail tempo!

I'm so not going to listen to your recording before I do mine blush

#2072019 - 04/27/13 09:39 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I had sworn never to play my recital submission again. And then I had my piano tuned.

There was no way I was going to submit my April 13 recording when, as of this morning, I have a freshly-tuned, gorgeous-sounding grand piano sitting around. I'm not sure I did it justice -- I only had the emotional and physical fortitude for one take. But to me, this is better than any previous recording I made; if only because I'm determined to believe that.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2072650 - 04/28/13 06:49 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: sinophilia]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia

Oh poor me, it's So in Love... simplified and shortened and stretched to a snail tempo!

I'm so not going to listen to your recording before I do mine blush

That's ok - it wasn't good enough that it would discourage you - but then again it wasn't bad enough that it would encourage you either smile

#2072944 - 04/28/13 04:53 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Saranoya]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
I had sworn never to play my recital submission again. And then I had my piano tuned.

Exactly the same here :-p

In fact I made a recording already a beginning of april on a tuned piano. My normal tuner was ill. So after several weeks of postponing and trying to keep my piece up to scratch, another tuner tuned it instead.

However I did not really like the octave stretch in the top register. And I felt that the piece could use a little more breathing.

So when it was retuned a few days ago (yes, two tunings in one month... am I getting picky or is this the weather??) I decided to retake it. Took me two days to get it back to recording level as I had not seriously played it for about a month...

The jury is still out there to see which one is better - my well prepared first take or this quick retake.

#2073437 - 04/29/13 11:33 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I was just browsing thru some Recital stats (see Piano Recital Index under Quick Links, left side column):

So far in the 29 previous ABF Recitals there have been 1,580 individual performances by 368 different performers (only one of which was on an accordian).

The average number of performers per Recital is 54.

The average number of novices (first timers) per Recital is 13 (it's curious to note that strangely enough the first Recital was all novices - go figure).

Only 4 people have performed in all 29 Recital (Super Hunky, Monica, Cooper & Mike White).

47 people have performed in 10 or more Recitals (yes, that includes the 4 above).

The top 6 composers (in descending order) represented are: Chopin (139, Bach (112), Einaudi (61), Beethoven (56), Schumann (38) & Mozart (31) [I list the top 6 so that I can include Wolfgang, who in a totally unbiased opinion, should be at the top!].

The average number of hints/suggestions/complaints after each Recital that there were too many intimidating veterans performing and that the Recital should be renamed to help encourage beginner entries is 3 laugh

Edited to add for those unfamiliar with him that I believe that Einaudi fellow was an Italian Baroque composer active & popular around the time of Vivaldi and Monteverdi, although I could be wrong about that...

Edited by TrapperJohn (04/29/13 11:51 AM)

#2073438 - 04/29/13 11:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

47 people have performed in 10 or more Recitals.

Five of us are on 9 recitals, including me ... will we make it 52 people after this one?! smile

Kawai K3

#2073569 - 04/29/13 03:22 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
So then.... since my k3 is being tuned this week and i have been getting to grips with the chopin pollonaise in gm (way above my pay grade to be fair...)

Id like to pop my recital cherry with it... and after reading all the threads ,about the recital not intended for an elitist group... i am not too worried about being burned at the stake...

So i will be focusing on what i can to get the best of it till the due date...

:-) apart from tonight, decided to have an evening with the missus for once. Lol

#2073947 - 04/30/13 05:49 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yesterday I made a recording of an original piece and my daughter asked me why not send it to the recital. Indeed, it is an original piece made ​​with her ​​participation (I played the melody and she was giving her opinion).
So it's decided. I'll send my first original piece... eek

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2074077 - 04/30/13 10:36 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

CarlosCC - hurray for offspring smile I'm looking forward to your piece.

Cathy

#2074084 - 04/30/13 10:47 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
sinophilia Offline

Grrr if I get the dynamics right, I make a silly mistake at the end; then I add non-existent pauses and hesitations; then I start messing up the parts I am supposed to have no problems with... anyway, I have a single somewhat decent take, but hopefully I'll be able to do better on Thursday.

#2074093 - 04/30/13 11:00 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: jotur]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cathy

Now, I'm starting to get terrified... eek
Do not expect anything special. It's a very simple melody, but my daughter loves it... What to do...??

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2074155 - 04/30/13 12:03 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hm.... Submit or not submit..... That's the question.

#2074165 - 04/30/13 12:23 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Ganddalf]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hm.... Submit or not submit..... That's the question.

There is only submit.

Kawai K3

#2074175 - 04/30/13 12:40 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Andy Platt]
sinophilia Offline

There is only submit.

+1

#2074273 - 04/30/13 03:04 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Having been foiled by the neighbor's lawn service last week when I tried to record, I set out again this morning. In the 90 seconds that it took to drag my mic stand and Zooms out of the closet, BOTH neighbors simultaneously started mowing their lawns. mad

Oh well. I fixed lunch instead and tried again later, and I now have a good enough take to submit, though I may try for better later.

#2074280 - 04/30/13 03:07 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: Monica K.]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Having been foiled by the neighbor's lawn service last week when I tried to record, I set out again this morning. In the 90 seconds that it took to drag my mic stand and Zooms out of the closet, BOTH neighbors simultaneously started mowing their lawns. mad

I think they are all spying on you!

Kawai K3

#2074401 - 04/30/13 05:30 PM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: TrapperJohn]

Freshly tuned piano....and I'm just not ready to record! argh....

Had a great lesson today though and worked on some of the trickier (for me) passages. I'm optimistic!

#2074658 - 05/01/13 12:59 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: CarlosCC]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Cathy

Now, I'm starting to get terrified... eek
Do not expect anything special. It's a very simple melody, but my daughter loves it... What to do...??

Hmmmm... Maybe we could make a pact to both submit our simple daughter-related melodies?

My daughter made up a melody the other day -- a simple little pattern, but it's cute. I made some basic chords to go along with it. Unfortunately, the chords I made up exceed my ability to actually play them at a decent pace, but I'm still considering submitting it.

I'm still working on Chopin Prelude Op 28, #7 -- it's rough in terms of speed, rhythm, dynamics, and accuracy -- but it's perfect otherwise. smile

Tuner is coming on Friday... can't wait. I hope he can fix some of my sticking keys too. The Chopin just doesn't work well when D4 & A5 go down but not up. mad

XXIX-XXXII

#2074733 - 05/01/13 04:43 AM Re: The "One Month to Recital" Thread [Re: aTallGuyNH]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tuner is coming on Friday... can't wait. I hope he can fix some of my sticking keys too. The Chopin just doesn't work well when D4 & A5 go down but not up. mad

ha ha ha

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
74 registered (bennevis, Altair, Alex75001, aesop, 22 invisible), 971 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315787 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission