Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 16 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#2064599 - 04/14/13 05:32 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
In the first Steinway Magazine of 2012 Sergey Babayan says this about Daniil Trifonov. "A talent like his is born maybe once every 100 years. He breathes music."(My boldface) Of course, Babayan is only one of the most important teachers in the world so he wouldn't know much about whether talent exists or whether it is something one is born with.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/14/13 05:36 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2064619 - 04/14/13 06:17 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: pianoloverus]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
In the first Steinway Magazine of 2012 Sergey Babayan says this about Daniil Trifonov. "A talent like his is born maybe once every 100 years. He breathes music."(My boldface) Of course, Babayan is only one of the most important teachers in the world so he wouldn't know much about whether talent exists or whether it is something one is born with.

Did you mean "...whether talent is acquired or whether it is something one is born with" ?

#2064642 - 04/14/13 07:21 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Mwm]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mwm

Did you mean "...whether talent is acquired or whether it is something one is born with" ?

That's probably what he intended to say.

And, to add my opinion to this issue: Talent is innate; you are born with it. Skill is acquired, and is usually a combination of talent and hard work.

Polyphonist

#2064644 - 04/14/13 07:26 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: pianoloverus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA

What a ridiculous thing for Babayan to say. What about all of the other pianists out there? Is Trifonov the next best thing since Horowitz? I don't even find him all that good to be honest. His Chopin op. 25 is fantastic, but everything else that I've heard I find to be nothing special.

#2064649 - 04/14/13 07:28 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Polyphonist]

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

And, to add my opinion to this issue: Talent is innate; you are born with it. Skill is acquired, and is usually a combination of talent and hard work.
Actually, I didn't mean to say that although it would have been reasonable.

My point was a few people on the thread think that talent(as it normally used and how it is defined)doesn't really exist but Babayan clearly does and clearly is using it in its normal meaning as something one is born with.

#2064655 - 04/14/13 08:07 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

Actually, I didn't mean to say that although it would have been reasonable.

My point was a few people on the thread think that talent(as it normally used and how it is defined)doesn't really exist but Babayan clearly does and clearly is using it in its normal meaning as something one is born with.

Is this your "evidence"? Someone else used the term in reference to someone else, and this clearly indicates the thing itself exists?

Using that theory, the Earth should still be the center of the Universe. For that matter, it should also still be flat.

#2064673 - 04/14/13 08:49 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Close this thread already.

#2064687 - 04/14/13 09:29 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

I second the motion.

Polyphonist

#2064692 - 04/14/13 09:59 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Polyphonist]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I second the motion.

Someone or something must be forcing you to read it against your will, because otherwise, you could simply not click on it if you don't want to read it.

#2064789 - 04/15/13 04:25 AM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
So anyone can compose on the level of Mozart with enough hard work? That argument just doesn't hold water.

I don't believe that anyone here is expressing a "enough hard work" argument.

As for Mozart, though, he represents the worst example possible if you want to prove the importance or even the existence of talent.

When you take account of the extremely high cultural level in which he grew up: a bourgeois family in Salzbourg, Austria in the middle of the 18th century, the Enlightenment. A family of musicians, a father who was kapellmeister, composer, pedagogue, who taught the older sister at home.

You don't realize the richness and the power of circumstances such as these.

#2064793 - 04/15/13 05:05 AM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: landorrano]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano
So anyone can compose on the level of Mozart with enough hard work? That argument just doesn't hold water.

As for Mozart, though, he represents the worst example possible if you want to prove the importance or even the existence of talent.

When you take account of the extremely high cultural level in which he grew up: a bourgeois family in Salzbourg, Austria in the middle of the 18th century, the Enlightenment. A family of musicians, a father who was kapellmeister, composer, pedagogue, who taught the older sister at home.

Then why weren't all of the other kids with the same situation becoming Mozart-level musicians? Mozart wasn't the only one in that situation...

#2064880 - 04/15/13 09:27 AM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Derulux]

Originally Posted By: Derulu
Is this your "evidence"? Someone else used the term in reference to someone else, and this clearly indicates the thing itself exists?
You talk as if the "someone" I quoted is a random person on the street. I quoted one the major teachers on the planet who probably knew more about music when he was 12 then you or I will ever know. These are the type of people who I think really know if talent exists and what it means.

My view is that when one hears someone like Trifonov play it is so astounding that it is almost impossible to believe that this would be possible without some kind of gift that is innate. And I think an overwhelming percentage of people agree.

The dictionary definition of the word talent includes the fact that it is innate. You may not like this, but this is how most people use this word for a long time.

Edited by pianoloverus (04/15/13 10:22 AM)

#2064972 - 04/15/13 12:52 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: landorrano

Then why weren't all of the other kids with the same situation becoming Mozart-level musicians? Mozart wasn't the only one in that situation...

This has been repeated, but I suppose another iteration won't do any harm. smile

There are many variables that go into the making of a Mozart. One such variable is this: he wanted to. Obviously, someone who grows up inside a tuba, but wants to be a blacksmith, will never take to the tuba.

For those who wanted to, Mozart more-than-likely worked very differently than them.

As for the enduring fame he has enjoyed, there are multiple factors that go into that, but I don't want to side-track the thread with a discussion of fame or popularity. We've had those threads before, too. smile

You talk as if the "someone" I quoted is a random person on the street. I quoted one the major teachers on the planet who probably knew more about music when he was 12 then you or I will ever know. These are the type of people who I think really know if talent exists and what it means.

Did I do any less? Some of the foremost thinkers in world history believed in geocentrism, and/or the idea of a "flat" Earth. (Same goes for the earlier example of "Zeus" that I used in reference to a thunderstorm.) Heck, for a third example, let's use Isaac Newton and gravity. His equation is also wrong (if you don't allow for tolerances, which you really shouldn't if you're trying to determine exactly what's going on).

I've been using physics, but we could also use religion. Those of us who do not believe in God fly in the face of the Pope's theory, who, arguably, knows the most about the subject. We can say the same for all monotheistic names for God, all polytheistic beliefs, all past mythologies that are no longer worshiped.

Point is, hearsay, conjecture and belief are not evidence.

I have absolutely no problem if you believe in the idea of talent. Believe me, I'm not that overbearing that I think "my way" is right. But if you want to prove it to me--and I would sincerely like us to keep trying, because I'm enjoying the discussion--it has to be real evidence. (And if you did somehow manage to prove it, I would openly change my own belief to match the new evidence available.) smile

Quote:
The dictionary definition of the word talent includes the fact that it is innate. You may not like this, but this is how most people use this word for a long time.

Yep, I'm aware of both points. I have no problem with how other people view talent--I simply believe their position is untenable. And I wouldn't bring it up in passing conversation, either; we just happen to have the question posed, and hopefully for those of us partaking, have been enjoying the discussion and opposing viewpoints of the participants.

To your "popularism" suggestion: Geocentrism is also in the dictionary. Does that mean the Earth is the center of the universe? Or, perhaps an even better argument, when everyone believed it was true, did that necessarily make it true? wink

#2064992 - 04/15/13 01:34 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
Okiikahuna Offline

Arguing about the correct definition of a word is a very different thing from a discussion of the relative importance of different influences on a musician's development. Sometimes these semantic arguments arise simply because a word has so much baggage attached to it from being used so often by different people to mean so many different things, that it is not clear whether people are arguing about the meaning of the word or something else. But, when people don't agree on the meaning of terms, they often mix these very different issues.

So, why not just toss the word "talent." Pick a word such as "innate aptitude" to refer to whatever aptitude one is born with. Use another word, say "nurture" to describe the aptitude that comes from nurture and exposure at a very young age when one's synapses are still being developed and then you can discuss your opinions about the relative importance, or even existence, of any one of these elements without it being an argument about the correct definition of a word.

I personally think that would be a more interesting discussion than the correct definition of the word "talent." Others may disagree.

K.

#2064998 - 04/15/13 01:43 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Okiikahuna]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Okiikahuna
Arguing about the correct definition of a word is a very different thing from a discussion of the relative importance of different influences on a musician's development. Sometimes these semantic arguments arise simply because a word has so much baggage attached to it from being used so often by different people to mean so many different things, that it is not clear whether people are arguing about the meaning of the word or something else. But, when people don't agree on the meaning of terms, they often mix these very different issues.

So, why not just toss the word "talent." Pick a word such as "innate aptitude" to refer to whatever aptitude one is born with. Use another word, say "nurture" to describe the aptitude that comes from nurture and exposure at a very young age when one's synapses are still being developed and then you can discuss your opinions about the relative importance, or even existence, of any one of these elements without it being an argument about the correct definition of a word.

I personally think that would be a more interesting discussion than the correct definition of the word "talent." Others may disagree.

K.

We're not discussing the "correct definition" of the word "talent". We are, in fact, discussing whether it exists at all -- or at least, that has been the premise of my involvement in said discussion. smile

#2065022 - 04/15/13 02:33 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

The variables you speak of are not sufficient by themselves for the making of a Mozart.

#2065026 - 04/15/13 02:42 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Anyone can sing, but only people with talent can sing well.

What's the difference between the winners of American Idol and the many thousands and thousands of people who don't even make it through the auditions? The winners have a lot of talent.

Do you honestly believe that those horrible singers that don't make it to Hollywood don't WANT to be great singers? You don't think they LOVE music?

#2065066 - 04/15/13 04:18 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

You actually place American Idol and Talent in the same context? Shame!

#2065067 - 04/15/13 04:19 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bowling for Dollars. Now there is Talent.

#2065071 - 04/15/13 04:28 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

The variables you speak of are not sufficient by themselves for the making of a Mozart.

I have spoken of maybe five or six of five thousand or more variables. Every single moment of every day, a new variable may be added. And since Mozart died over 200 years ago, it is impossible to say for certain which variables impacted his life. I'm all for discussing the topic, but this is borderline ridiculous. wink

#2065078 - 04/15/13 04:36 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Derulux]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Derulux,

I have spoken of maybe five or six of five thousand or more variables. Every single moment of every day, a new variable may be added. And since Mozart died over 200 years ago, it is impossible to say for certain which variables impacted his life. I'm all for discussing the topic, but this is borderline ridiculous. wink

Your stance is what's ridiculous, to be blunt.

#2065080 - 04/15/13 04:38 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

The thread is even more ridiculous...

Polyphonist

#2065081 - 04/15/13 04:45 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Polyphonist]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

I'm in favor of it being locked.

#2065084 - 04/15/13 04:52 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

I don't mind bluntness. smile

My question, which has yet to be adequately explained, is why? No one who believes in "talent" has been able to provide any examples of concrete proof of the existence of "talent". Why, then, is my stance the one that seems ridiculous? wink

PS- if we're not going to add anything academic to the discussion, then for the sake of those who are putting in a little more effort, let's not respond. It sidetracks and derails an otherwise interesting conversation, and one that I am enjoying. If you find that you aren't enjoying it, you don't need the thread locked--simply stop reading it.

#2065087 - 04/15/13 05:00 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

I'm in favor of it being locked.

No use in saying it anymore...let the moderators come and decide for themselves. wink

Polyphonist

#2065089 - 04/15/13 05:06 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Derulux]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

I don't mind bluntness. smile

My question, which has yet to be adequately explained, is why? No one who believes in "talent" has been able to provide any examples of concrete proof of the existence of "talent". Why, then, is my stance the one that seems ridiculous? wink

I mentioned the human brain many posts back, to which you replied with something along the lines of "I think all of our brains are basically wired the same". That's like saying our genetic makeups are all the same. The brain is an incredibly complex thing with room for a lot of variation. Different personalities, different tastes, different interests, different TALENTS... for you to just write it off as nothing important is just willful ignorance.

We aren't all the same. Get used to that fact. Talent does exist and it lies in the wiring of the individual's brain. Everything about anyone lies in their brain.

#2065121 - 04/15/13 06:14 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Derulux]

I don't think your stance is ridiculous but the way talent is usually considered makes it almost impossible to provide concrete proof for it. OTOH I think so many people believe in that talent(as in "born with it")exists because the greatest pianists play so well at such a young age that even if they had every other advantage of the type you've mentioned it would not be enough to explain their greatness.

#2065129 - 04/15/13 06:58 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Derulux]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It is somewhat like asking for concrete evidence of "love" or "beauty". There may be none, but yet, many people mysteriously act as if those things exist.

Whether or not there is concrete "scientific" evidence for a concept that is intangible but which is still evident to a reasonably observant person who sees it (especially if it is a person who is trained in the area in which it appears) is probably not critical to its existence.

And too, if one could provide evidence that talent exists, what would that evidence look like? In previous threads here regarding talent, IIRC, some writings and studies on the subject that were cited seemed more controversial than satisfactory.

#2065137 - 04/15/13 07:22 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: Derulux]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA

I'm very late to this party, but as another one of your many admirers, Derulux, I'm astounded by your statements. Yes, yes, exposure to music at home, nurturing parents, great teachers, slaving away at the piano for 25 hours a day, yada, yada, yada, is all important. But none of it means anything without native talent. It is not simply one of many components of great piano playing, it is the bedrock. It is foundational. It is the sine qua non. All of the other things you've mentioned are important, but without innate musical talent, these thousands of variables will never produce a great pianist, or even a very good pianist.

You seem to demand some sort of proof of its existence, but talent falls into the category of "I know it when I see it", and doesn't easily lend itself to measurement or simple proofs. But I think correlation works pretty well. How many of the world's great pianists were not prodigies? Can you point to an example of someone who struggled for 10, 15, 20 years, and through sheer determination, and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, finally reached the pinnacle of their art? A prodigy is one who displays exceptional ability or talent at a very young age, talent that is so extraordinary as to be unexplainable by the factors you have cited. What four, five, or six-year old child could possibly practice the 4-8 hours a day that even many of the greatest pianists spend practicing? You'd be lucky to get 30-60 minutes from one so young. Yet such young pianists do exist, are quickly recognized as prodigies, and progress at a rate far beyond their peers, regardless of their practice regimen.

So how would you explain such prodigies? Do you really believe it's all environmental? If you do, I must strongly disagree. smile

#2065138 - 04/15/13 07:27 PM Re: VIRTUOSO TECHNIQUE!!! [Re: King Cole]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
It is a very old debate called nature vs. nurture.

Music is my best friend.

Page 6 of 16 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
22 minutes 18 seconds ago
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
Today at 10:58 AM
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
Who's Online
148 registered (alfredo capurso, ajames, anamnesis, accordeur, 36251, 29 invisible), 1558 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158398 Topics
2326032 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission