2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
http://www.hummingbirdnotation.com/index.html

Why change? If it ain't broken don't fix it, the say. And while I don't feel that way, I do think that most things in the current (and very classical) notation system is fine as it is... Perhaps there would be ways to make it look better, but I can't see how a Chopin work would look with the hummingbird notation... brrr...

thoughts?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Very bad idea...it would be a huge pain in the butt for every single pianist, of any level, on the planet. And I mean HUGE. Plus, why change? Just why?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What's their point?

How is this supposed to be easier?

M
M
Doesn't look like it would be much easier, or much harder, for someone starting from scratch. Maybe the redundancy, whereby the name of a note is indicated by both its position on the staff and the style of the note head, would be helpful; in theory, at least, there'd be no more "is this supposed to be an E or an F?"

I hope BTB weighs in, since he's a fan of alternative notations.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'm hoping it's a joke. If they're serious, it is very poorly conceived. For starters, why use a staff at all if the notes are individually identifiable?

I messed around with it (conceptually) to try and wrap my head around reading the pieces. I think it's possible, but can't see any reason to support why it would be considered "easier". It's just as visual-spatial and patter-recognition-based as "classical" notation.

Almost seems like someone was trying to create guitar tabs for the piano, doesn't it?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
I saw this over the weekend. It's sort of interesting, but ultimately not helpful. Why?

The difficulty people have with reading music has nothing to do with the symbols themselves. The difficulty people have with reading music is simply a lack of time spent on learning it at a young age.

If language were taught in the schools for 40 minutes each week, nobody would be able to write, either. (And yes, I think it's that simple.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
The only element of the notation I don't like is the symbols for the notes. If they were all black, and the rest of the notation the same, I think it would be very usable. The curlicues indicating sharps or flats are a brilliant idea, and the lines that indicate the duration of sound are helpful as well. I usually end up having to write lines in beginners' music to indicate how long the note is, that should be enough to show that the traditional system isn't intuitive.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How easy a system is to learn is different from how easy it is to use once learned. I think that Hummingbird is thinking only about the first question.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Total waste of time. Anybody who can learn this can learn standard notation. Anybody who wants to go further in music will have to convert to standard notation. There is nothing difficult or wrong with standard notation. It has all the information you need, in the most succinct way possible. This Hummingbird notation is a poor solution to a non-existent problem.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Idiotic.

M
M
To me that just looks like someone playing with the "Wingdings" font, but even if it were miraculously simpler than traditional notation, I doubt it would ever take hold for the same reason that the QWERTY keyboard persists despite not making ergonomic sense.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
For me, the hummingbird notes are distracting because of all the different shapes and fillings. This looks much less convenient than standard notation.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mermilylumpkin
To me that just looks like someone playing with the "Wingdings" font, but even if it were miraculously simpler than traditional notation, I doubt it would ever take hold for the same reason that the QWERTY keyboard persists despite not making ergonomic sense.

I didn't even think of that.. but now that you mention it, that's exactly what it looks like!

What kind of keyboard do you use? I had a roommate in college who was obsessed with ergonomic keyboards.. split/angled/inverted.. some really weird stuff. But some of them were much more comfortable.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I'm sorry, but that looks more difficult to read than standard notation, even from just glancing at it, especially if your eyesight is not what it once used to be. Who has time to see what [art of the circle is filled or if it has a dot or some random squiggly?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by boo1234
I'm sorry, but that looks more difficult to read than standard notation, even from just glancing at it, especially if your eyesight is not what it once used to be. Who has time to see what [art of the circle is filled or if it has a dot or some random squiggly?

To be fair, you wouldn't have to notice what part of the circle is filled, if you know the staff already. The pitch designation signs seem not to be essential, rather just an aid for beginners.

The time-value notation is where the system truly departs from traditional notation. There is an advantage to showing long notes stretched out along the measure; it provides a graphic, intuitive image of the relative note values. But I wonder how it looks in a complex polyphonic texture. It might start looking rather cluttered. Traditional notation, which confines the information about a note to the spot in the measure where the sound begins, is clean and easy to look at. There are fewer horizontal objects competing with the staff lines.

Traditional notation distinguishes voices in polyphonic music by means of stem direction. Does the hummingbird system have a way to do this?

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Problem is that apart from 8ths and 16ths we have triplets, quinteplets, and various other ratios going on, etc... So I think that this system might be quite complicated in such music.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The only thing I noticed from it is how foreign and confusing it is, which gives me empathy for my beginner students, especially the adults.

Regular notation, with which pianists are all familiar and at home with, is probably just as confusing to them as this Hummingbird thing is to us.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've seen worse -- on this forum, amongst other, er, places.

Incidentally, Brahms devised his own system of notation during his childhood, before he knew of the existence of standard notation.

Schoenberg proposed a new system of notating pitch specifically to eliminate the constant and potentially confusing use of accidentals in post-tonal music.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission