2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
You don't see that the way it's written is clearly the way the voice leading works?

Of course I do! Didn't you think I was including that in "what's going on musically"?

I guess you think that's synonymous with 'which hand to play things with.' What I'm telling you is, there's a very large contingent that doesn't agree.

And you're part of that group?

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I certainly am. Although I never thought of that solution, I might try it.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by debrucey
I certainly am. Although I never thought of that solution, I might try it.

What is the musical justification for it? The fact that it makes it a little easier is a very bad reason...

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No it's not. It's a very good reason.
If the musical result is the same, which in this case I'm convinced it would be, there doesn't need to be a musical justification.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
No it's not. It's a very good reason.
If the musical result is the same, which in this case I'm convinced it would be, there doesn't need to be a musical justification.

But the musical result isn't the same. You get different voicing, and the RH sounds disconnected, while the LH arpeggios become too prominent.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You don't get a different voicing if you are skilled enough to control the sound.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You don't get a different voicing if you are skilled enough to control the sound.

That's an ignorant thing to say. There will always be a subtle difference and no pianist in the world can control that. Why don't you post recordings of you doing it both ways and I will tell you which one is which.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I never said I was talking about myself.

If no pianist in the world could control subtle voicings then playing fugues would be impossible.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I never said I was talking about myself.

If no pianist in the world could control subtle voicings then playing fugues would be impossible.

Not so. Fugues are designed to be played the way they are played. Chopin did not designate that passage to be played in this manner.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Irrelevant.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Irrelevant.

Not at all. Fugues are written so that it will be feasible to play them as the composer intended with the tools available (2 hands). Also, you don't debate by dimissing people's arguments without refuting them. That's what children do.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven't dismissed your argument.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You answered it with "Irrelevant", so yes, you did. Plus, it's not irrelevant.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No I didn't.

In my opinion the fact that Chopin didn't designate a passage to be played with a particular rearrangement among the hands (if indeed that is even arguable) is irrelevant.

This doesn't mean I dismissed your argument, merely that I disagreed with it.

Last edited by debrucey; 04/16/13 01:51 AM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
All right, well, be that as it may, the fact that Chopin split up the passage in a certain way between the hands means that he intended it to be played that way. A minute difference in technical difficulty does not give a pianist the license to change that. Tell me, which pianist plays it the "alternate" way and makes it sound the same as what Chopin wrote?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
....you don't debate by dimissing people's arguments without refuting them. That's what children do.

But Poly, you've made it hard to get anywhere by seemingly ignoring (or forgetting) things that have been said. Your basic premise seems to be that if a composer puts notes on a certain clef, it means they are intended to be played by a particular hand. We're saying that many people just don't accept that principle.

You're presenting arguments for why you think your 'rule' is good. Obviously those who don't accept the rule feel that other things can outweigh the considerations you're mentioning.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
By the way, I'm going to sleep in a few minutes, so we can pick this up tomorrow if you be so inclined.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
....you don't debate by dimissing people's arguments without refuting them. That's what children do.

But Poly, you've made it hard to get anywhere by seemingly ignoring (or forgetting) things that have been said. Your basic premise seems to be that if a composer puts notes on a certain clef, it means they are intended to be played by a particular hand. We're saying that many people just don't accept that principle.

You're presenting arguments for why you think it's good to follow your 'rule.' Obviously those who don't accept the rule feel that other things can outweigh the considerations you're mentioning.

All right. I feel this conversation is not getting anywhere, so have it your way. Even if you disregard the way Chopin wrote it, I think that the passage is clearer and more appealing when the middle notes are taken with the RH as written.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"All right, well, be that as it may, the fact that Chopin split up the passage in a certain way between the hands means that he intended it to be played that way."

Not necessarily. I see no reason why this can be so confidently stated.

Surely the fact that this alternation is new to me despite all the recordings I have listened to shows that it's not so easy to tell the difference as you suggest.

I've already made numerous other rearrangements in other areas of the piece (none of which anyone has noticed), so adding one more doesn't bother me. 'Pianistic license' is a bit of a silly concept in my opinion, and is certainly not something that ever keeps me awake at night. To me, taking something with the other hand is no more drastic than changing a fingering.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

You're presenting arguments for why you think it's good to follow your 'rule.' Obviously those who don't accept the rule feel that other things can outweigh the considerations you're mentioning.

All right. I feel this conversation is not getting anywhere, so have it your way. Even if you disregard the way Chopin wrote it, I think that the passage is clearer and more appealing when the middle notes are taken with the RH as written.

Conversations tend not to go anywhere when one of the participants ignores most of what the others are saying.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission