Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2065422 - 04/16/13 09:32 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Forget the word 'normal'

- just a few classical pieces that touch also the higher registers and different playing styles (low notes are almost always impressive on any DP - mid / high notes is where it becomes more difficult for the lesser models) .

P.S. the demo starts out just fine, but then it's followed by some smooth , mostly mid / low register improvised chord pressing. If you took offense in my remark (fake jazzy..) , that was not my intention. It's just more difficult to hear how a DP sound will hold up without proper real pieces being played - preferably some we all know well - instead of some of the 'demo's' we often hear.

Apart from that; simply demonstrating the capabilities by silent pressing and holding notes while playing others (sympathic resonance effect), playing + holding one or two high notes and let them fully decay naturally , playing a mid high chord repeatedly going from ppp to fff and other such examples give a nice impression too.

And for the record ; I'm not 'normal' , who is...?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2065427 - 04/16/13 09:46 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: JFP]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JFP
If you took offense in my remark (fake jazzy..) , that was not my intention.
too late.

#2065446 - 04/16/13 10:40 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is more what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V3XjI9e_kX4

Unfortunately completely distorted on the camera microphone ; but this tells much more about the capabilities of the DP. Now the same movie with direct audio recording and you have a very nice demo...

#2065453 - 04/16/13 10:49 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
The Italian demo sounds fine to me...

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2065460 - 04/16/13 10:59 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: 36251]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: 36251
too late.

You need to apologize harder JFP! Say you love fake jazz - SAY IT!! wink

It doesn't sound bad in the videos - too bad SL pretty much blew it with me years ago. But we need larger sample sets to shake things up with the big boys.

Google Translate:

Quote:
The sampling technology more advanced
The new sounds Concert Grand and Grand Stage are based on 1 GB of memory samples of very high quality, made respectively of two models of acoustic piano concert absolute reference, such as a Model D and an F 308, previously granted and tuned by one of the most renowned technical sector, preferred and required for many musicians worldwide.
The original samples of pianos and 88 include all the notes, recorded with high quality microphones, placed in 5 strategic points of the instrument. This was played with different dynamic levels. Then all samples were mixed on two tracks Master Stereo high resolution. Both sounds have 9 levels dynamics (ppp = from pianissimo to fortissimo = ffff) and the various levels are interpolated in real time with a complex system of cross-filtering, to reproduce as accurately as all the nuances dynamic timbre, and thus make the performance more expressive as possible, with seals, the most delicate and intimate, the most aggressive, always with the maximum dynamic control.

Quote:
The DSP works with a clock speed of 300 MHz, which allows for incredible performance of 2400 MIPS (millions of instructions per second), corresponding to 1800 MFLOPS (millions of floating point operations per second), these figures allow a maximum total latency (delay between the button down and the sound generated), from 4.5 to 6 milliseconds, virtually undetectable under all conditions of execution.

Impressive.

#2065471 - 04/16/13 11:18 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: dewster]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dewster
too late.

You need to apologize harder JFP! Say you love fake jazz - SAY IT!! wink

I'm sorry ...I'm sorry ...I'm sorry (OK ?) !!

By the way - I tried to explain what I think are good examples to demonstrate the capabilities of the sound engine IMHO. In the other youtube video I found, there are a few of those examples where he demonstrates some of these features (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V3XjI9e_kX4). Unfortunately bad audio recording quality.

The first video demo DOES indeed sound OK - I've also restated several times I like the sound of the NUMA - but it misses a few examples that show more of what the Numa can really do. Anyway we'll probably hear more of the Numa Concert the coming weeks ..., like it so far.

#2065515 - 04/16/13 12:17 PM Re: Numa Concert [Re: 36251]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Thanks. Don't really likes what he plays (a normal classical piece please - instead of fake jazzy nonsense ?) , but I still like the sound !
What's normal? You?

Ha ha. I had similar thoughts. But anyway wasn't it improvisation? Important skill to learn, one day. .

#2065556 - 04/16/13 01:10 PM Re: Numa Concert [Re: JFP]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I'm sorry ...I'm sorry ...I'm sorry (OK ?) !!

That's better. We obviously have a highly esteemed fake jazz dignitary visiting this site, and the whole world is watching.

#2065565 - 04/16/13 01:23 PM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't know how often I can repeat I may have used an excessive verdict in my sentence (sorry again ?). But to my own defense what I mostly meant is that smooth low / mid chords phrases may not expose the full richness of a certain piano model or cover up problematic regions. Therefore I said I didn't like what he was playing (after the initial classical bit). It was not primarily a musical verdict, but more that I'd rather hear other kind of demo's to hear all the details of the DP. I should have put in in another way obviously ;-)

IMHO on almost any DP some forte note in the bass range sounds impressive. Some smooth playing in the mid range as well. That's why you hear that so very often in so many demo's I think.

And indeed I originally come from a classical background, not Jazz. So what do I know about jazz or improvisation...mea culpa.

#2065857 - 04/17/13 05:37 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2DiTQ-EOgM

Not bad at all! Would love to try that wooden keybed combined with that new Steinway D and Bosendorfer/Fazioli sample they claim to have included in this board.

#2066908 - 04/19/13 04:39 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#2068095 - 04/21/13 03:32 PM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

From the Numaworld page:

"The Concert & Stage Grand sounds have been based on a source of 1GB studio quality 5 tracks digital recording of reference pianos preferred by top artists. The original recording included all 88 notes, captured by 5 close and surround studio microphones, played at multiple dynamic levels. Such accurate sound database has been reduced and mixed into a stereo 2 tracks (L/R) with hi-resolution and sampling rate.

The final sounds, both of the Concert Grand and Stage Grand, are based on 9 dynamic levels (from pianissimo to fortissimo) and the various layers are interpolated in real-time with cross-filtering and loudness parameters."

Rather vague; based on a 1GB recording / original (!) recording had 88 key-sampling / ...has been reduced and mixed into a stereo 2 tracks.

So what's in the machine in the end ? Still 1GB of sample material, or was that just the size of the first recording session and later on reduced and repacked and put into (presumably) 128MB memory ? Same goes for the 88 key sampling - has that been thinned and reduced as well for the final sample set ? I guess the translation from Italian to English causes this pretty vague description that can make the critical reader suspicious of what made it into to final instrument, but a cleared statement from Studiologic would help a lot.

#2068498 - 04/22/13 07:48 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: JFP]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
is doesn't sound like one small step for studiologic, one giant leap for piano players... does it?
From the Numaworld page:

"The Concert & Stage Grand sounds have been based on a source of 1GB studio quality 5 tracks digital recording of reference pianos preferred by top artists. The original recording included all 88 notes, captured by 5 close and surround studio microphones, played at multiple dynamic levels. Such accurate sound database has been reduced and mixed into a stereo 2 tracks (L/R) with hi-resolution and sampling rate.

The final sounds, both of the Concert Grand and Stage Grand, are based on 9 dynamic levels (from pianissimo to fortissimo) and the various layers are interpolated in real-time with cross-filtering and loudness parameters."

Rather vague; based on a 1GB recording / original (!) recording had 88 key-sampling / ...has been reduced and mixed into a stereo 2 tracks.

So what's in the machine in the end ? Still 1GB of sample material, or was that just the size of the first recording session and later on reduced and repacked and put into (presumably) 128MB memory ? Same goes for the 88 key sampling - has that been thinned and reduced as well for the final sample set ? I guess the translation from Italian to English causes this pretty vague description that can make the critical reader suspicious of what made it into to final instrument, but a cleared statement from Studiologic would help a lot.

is doesn't sound like one small step for studiologic, one giant leap for digital piano players... does it?

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2068519 - 04/22/13 08:37 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well , the resulting Steinway grand (first preset) sounds good to me ...

#2077497 - 05/05/13 05:27 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: JFP]
Qbert Offline

Loc: Italy

Furthermore the local MusicStore price is € 1699 (incl 21% VAT), which is more than the list price in Italy for € 1499 (what's the tax in Italy ?)

1499 is the current price in Italy, VAT incl.

#2093976 - 06/02/13 03:44 PM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I took the German price. For me it would be € 1728. That is € 228 more than in Italy. For € 1499 it would be much much more interesting compared to the rest of the competition in stage piano's. Now it would cost more than an Fp-80 (street price); which offers much more sounds and features for the money.

Question:
- does anyone know if the basic piano samples in the Numa Concert are the same as in the Numa Piano. Meaning they only added a better keybed and some more sophisticated resonance processing ? Technically they seem identical, apart from the keys. Same control layout, same sound set, same memory and Trs algorithm . So, did SL indeed exchange the base sampleset for a new (better) set and if so, does that also count for the EP's and other sounds...

Perhaps a Numa Piano owner has more knowledge of this. SL / Fatar doesn't respond on any inquiries - do they ever ?! - and the store doesn't know. And ...of course the piano can not be seen or played anywhere unless you live near the well-known German web shop retailer.Which 95% of European customers do not...

#2162860 - 10/07/13 05:09 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Haven't seen this demo before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0uu2kmM3CM

Such an appealing instrument, but the company behind it is not.

#2185543 - 11/20/13 08:29 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
wizardofkeys Offline

yet another video...
focused on showing off the sound ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-O5M4HUrQ8

#2187996 - 11/25/13 10:34 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
voxpops Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Oh dear! (And I don't mean the translation.)

Google translation of review

#2188445 - 11/26/13 03:59 AM Re: Numa Concert [Re: robipiano]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hard to read through the translation and an indication of what the Numa could (or could not) be. Always remember it is just one post / one opinion. Try for yourself in a shop is still the best way to verify if all is true or just personal preference , a Monday morning unit or both.

Nearest dealer that has one on display is 250km away. Bit to far to test it myself and write a review. Have no intention to buy one, just out of curiosity...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Atrys, ando, adanepst, 36251, BB Player, 13 invisible), 1114 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission