Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#2030929 - 02/11/13 03:45 AM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
This is a frustrating thread to read now. There's some odd folks out there.

DBill - you need to understand the distinction between the Casio dealer network and any issues that may raise and the simple fact that you were interested in a brand new Casio product that it seems NO ONE HAS AT THE MOMENT. Whatever the situation with the evolving Casio network you are not going to get a 650 within a day or two - the product is brand new and stocks are just not out there yet.

As Sam and Mike have said - be patient or buy an alternative product.

Trying to act as some digital piano James Bond (007 - licence to moan) and "tipping off" Kraft or anyone else that Casio might or might not include them in their network or authorised retailers for this product is not your place and - if I were to be charitable - I would describe as "eccentric" behaviour. I have no doubt Kraft can look after their own relationship with Casio without any input from you.

Having read your posts if I was Casio I'd be awfully grateful you'd decided to buy a Kawai!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2031115 - 02/11/13 12:24 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: DBill]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: DBill
For that matter, how would I have any knowledge of what your business agreements were?
I'm not calling you the bad guy, I'm only saying you are too impatient if you want the Casio to come to you. Some previous internet dealers thought/hoped they would represent the new models and that created the cloud of different information that surrounded you. When we spoke a few days ago, I anticipated this and explained how some places would dance around while getting your hopes up. I gave you an estimated timeline from Casio based on the best information available. And, at that time, I clarified why far away dealers couldn't just satisfy your request.

I do not expect you to know the business agreement when you approached me. You didn't do anything wrong, but know that posting the PM's will not be embarrassing to me. I explained that you needed to visit a dealer. I hoped Casio would find the next closest dealer (not me) and assign them to you, but that is their decision. Even that would require an exception to the new dealer model where you must try before you buy. Nothing has changed in the week since we spoke except that Casio is a week closer to answering you.

You were asking some of the wrong questions to some of the wrong people. You didn't know you were asking the wrong questions, and since this is not like the previous AP's, gratification is not instant for everyone, everywhere. I accept you choosing an alternative product that meets your needs and your timeline. I just don't like the idea that Casio somehow let you down. Even the competitor had to order a DP for you. By March when it arrives, Casio probably would have had an answer for you. That's my whole point.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2031123 - 02/11/13 12:37 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
poggler Offline

First off, just really have to thank the dealers and DP company representatives who contribute to this board. Really helps in the decision-making process.

FWIW, I think Casio is doing right by limiting their new Celvianos to authorized dealers. It makes it more difficult, sure. I'd rather order it online, sure. But at least in this case, chances are it encourages the customer to go to several B&M stores to try out different DPs, possibly promoting a better decision and customer satisfaction. It also might help improve perception of product value long-term (once people get used to the idea of Casio having authorized dealer-only products).

I really hope some people who've actually purchased and played an AP-650 over a longer period of time can contribute to this post or start a new (non-dead horse) thread.

#2031913 - 02/12/13 03:08 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
DBill Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
For anyone who still had any remaining doubts as to whether I would buy a Casio Celviano 650 or a Kawai CN34, I officially ordered (including credit card number) the CN34 today. A friend of mine will be picking it up in Denver, CO on Sat. (Feb. 16) and bringing it back to Durango on Sun. The sales agent said this method of delivery would not affect the warranty, and it saves on shipping costs.

The deciding factor for the decision between the two machines was Kawai’s publicly posted, 5-yr, parts and labor, on-site service warranty.
http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/warranties/Kawai_DP_5yr_warranty.pdf

The two machines have many features in common although as you might expect, the CN34 has a few that the Casio 650 doesn’t have. For example the CN34 has Handbells, Tubular Bells, Church Bells, Carillon, etc. that might be fun to play with for Christmas music. On the other hand I’m not sure how I might play “Helicopter”. Alternately, you could split the keyboard so that all but one of the keys are a regular piano, and play the other note, “Applause”, at the end of your performance.

Besides the usual splits, instrument overlays, layers, etc., the CN34 has a Balance Slider that can control the relative volume of each. For example, suppose you have a musical piece where the melody is played in the lower notes by your left hand. (i.e. pv88’s Schubert) You can split the keyboard (at any arbitrary key) but keep the same instrument on both sides. Then you can use the Balance Slider to increase the relative volume of the lower notes. This is somewhat easier than trying to play fortissimo (or even louder) with your left hand at the same time your right hand is supposed to be limited to pianissimo (or even quieter).

Of course, you pay more for all of the above as a CN34 costs more than the Casio 650’s $1599.

The only uncertainty that I have is the volume of the CN34’s speakers. The CN34 will be going in a large room (ceiling slopes from 20 ft. high on one side to 25 feet on the other side). As with the 650, you can always add external speakers. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

There are videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pd-7Vtt5kw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyRUY8OKeI that give quick reviews of the CN34.They are what you would expect from “infomercials”, but they are a good introduction.

#2031927 - 02/12/13 03:34 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: DBill]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@Bill,

Congratulations on your Kawai CN34, as I think you will like the sounds, action, and response, of this digital. No need to worry about the speakers as they should be reasonably loud enough as is, although adding speakers with an additional subwoofer would help in bringing out the lower bass range.

Also, your warranty (with Kawai) is a very good one, too.

Would like to hear your review, when you can do so.

#2031980 - 02/12/13 04:41 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
poggler Offline

From what I've seen and read I like both the AP650 and CN34. However, is it fair to compare them to each other? Doesn't the CN34 cost around $600 to $700 more?

#2032009 - 02/12/13 05:26 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Andy,
Is your assessment based on the AP-650's built-in speakers, or while using headphones? I tinkered with the 150/350 recently and thought there was not much improvement, while using the built-in speakers. But I do think they sound a lot better than the PX-x30 with headphones. (Having said that, no they don't compare to the Roland SuperNatural right next to them with headphones, but I'm just curious if maybe some of Casio's woes result from headphone sound mastering.) Though I also thought the Roland sounded like crap through GC's external speaker setup ... perhaps that's not so surprising, heh. I did like the texture on the PX-350 keys after having used the Roland for a while.

When I got my PX slab last year, my wife (from Japan) said, "Casio, don't they make watches?" Lol, I think the AP-650 has an uphill battle as a dealer exclusive model.

#2032042 - 02/12/13 06:35 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: xorbe]
andy0140 Offline

Xorbe,

Both. Speakers or headphones, for me, the initial decay in the middle range was unacceptable.

That's why I quickly returned it to the store and swapped it for the roland.

Edited by andy0140 (02/12/13 06:42 PM)

#2032120 - 02/12/13 09:01 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
DBill Offline

Assuming the Casio Celviano AP 650 will be priced at $1599 (And I think my info on this price is reliable), I paid almost $600 more for the Kawai. I think the 650 is also a good machine – especially for its price. The problem that I ran into was the ability to buy it.

Casio will eventually get a usable dealership organization, but the problem is when. I gave up waiting for it and instead will have the CN34 by Sunday evening. (Followed by “Some adult assembly required”.)

There’s already been a photo coverage of the CN34 on this forum (at http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1988239/1.html ), and I don’t think I can add much to that. I bought the “Rosewood” color ( http://store.kawaius.com/p/cn34-rosewood-digital-piano?pp=8&pp=8 but well under this price) instead of white, but other than that, it will look about the same.

As for a musical review, it’s been 35 years since I’ve played a piano and it’s going to take a while before I can get the old skills back. (And that’s assuming I can get my fingers to work properly.) At this point, my only review is that any piano that you can get your hands on is better than no piano.

pv88 may have a good point about the CN34 needing a subwoofer. It takes a lot of sound energy to get a good sound output for low frequencies, and the CN34 may need some help. (Note: The long string lengths of the large acoustics (equals higher energy storage capacity) are what give them their great bass tones.)

I’ve got the 2 vol. set of “The Library of Piano Classics” and think I can start in again from that level. There’s also a lot of free classical sheet music available on the Internet. For example I’ve downloaded Liszt’s 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody (which at one time I could play from memory), so I’ll have plenty to work with. The version that I downloaded appears to be a note for note match with Maxim’s video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byGI1mDi3no

Liszt will have to wait for a bit. There are portions where your right hand gets a real workout, and I may never get that ability back. I think I may try Grieg’s “In the Hall of the Mountain King” (A. Pero’s arrangement – not this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LAhKkPUo_A ) fairly early as that is a musical representation of where I live. (Will also give the CN34’s low notes a test. I can compare headphone output with speaker output, and if there’s a notable difference, the speakers would be assumed guilty.)

#2032195 - 02/13/13 12:10 AM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
poggler Offline

@DBill,

Thanks for checking in. It'll be great to hear your feedback on your experiences with the CN34 (maybe in a new thread?).

#2032388 - 02/13/13 10:18 AM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
DBill Offline

Good suggestion.
I've started a new thread with the title of: Colorado Kawai CN34.

#2034050 - 02/16/13 01:10 AM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
DBill Offline

The following advertisement for a Celviano AP 650 for “Under $1600” was at BHA Piano Center, but has suddenly disappeared from the Internet.

What happens next for the Celviano AP 650’s price and availability is not known.

#2043637 - 03/05/13 10:46 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
baileypeterson Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: andy0140
Mike - which particular video(s) are you referring to ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGG1GwWGhBA

#2065040 - 04/15/13 03:22 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: Mike_Martin]
pianoworldanon Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin
Originally Posted By: poggler
I'm sure the in-home service costs extra?

No. If you live in large city in California, I'm certain there is a close service center. Regardless in home service on Celviano products is included with your warranty.

Mike, can you tell me about Casio's in home service? The closest location from where I live will require a total of 4 hours of drive. Two round trip of 2 hours each. The two round trip is required where I'm to leave the piano at the shop for 1 week for them to diagnose and request the main board. Then I am to return to pick it up. When you speak of in-home service, this means Casio can send a tech to where I live? I've called casio before, but I was only told to drive it down to the closest location, even though I told the Casio Customer Support person that I will have to drive 4 hours total just to get the main board swapped. How do I go about requesting an in-house service? I have one of those "please wait" error message that won't go away when the piano is reset to factory settings. The piano also cannot save any settings even with the Backup switched from off to on. The other problem is that the Backup to OFF cannot be maintained after a powercycle. And then there's the "ERROR, DATA EXCHANGE" error when connecting with a laptop.

#2065092 - 04/15/13 05:17 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: baileypeterson]
pianoworldanon Offline

Originally Posted By: baileypeterson
Originally Posted By: andy0140
Mike - which particular video(s) are you referring to ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGG1GwWGhBA

Is there anyway to upgrade the decay time for older / new models that also have the short decay time via a flash upgrade or is this an issue of not having enough physical memory? Memory are cheap these days. Not sure why the piano didn't have the longer decay time to begin with.

#2065333 - 04/16/13 03:06 AM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Cause the longer it is, the more evident is a bad looping!!!

#2065661 - 04/16/13 06:04 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
Mike_Martin Offline

Pianoworldanon,
I have reached out to you privately to try to help you with your situation. I needed some basic information from you, like where you bought your Casio, your product serial number and specifically who at Casio you've been in touch with. You've told me that you don't want to tell me these things.

Clearly there is a breakdown in communication at Casio which I am trying to correct. I am trying to help you. Without information from you, I can't seem to figure out where you're getting this incorrect information. Casio will provide IN HOME WARRANTY REPAIR for Celviano products. This also includes large Privia models like PX-850. As the General Manager of the division, I'm quite certain what I am talking about.

If you'd like to provide me with this information, I'd personally make an effort to get your AP-620 up and running again. I also believe that there are adjustments to the the velocity curve and the brightness setting that will make you significantly happier with your AP-620.

#2066736 - 04/18/13 07:53 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: Mike_Martin]
pianoworldanon Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike_Martin
Pianoworldanon,
I have reached out to you privately to try to help you with your situation. I needed some basic information from you, like where you bought your Casio, your product serial number and specifically who at Casio you've been in touch with. You've told me that you don't want to tell me these things.

Clearly there is a breakdown in communication at Casio which I am trying to correct. I am trying to help you. Without information from you, I can't seem to figure out where you're getting this incorrect information. Casio will provide IN HOME WARRANTY REPAIR for Celviano products. This also includes large Privia models like PX-850. As the General Manager of the division, I'm quite certain what I am talking about.

If you'd like to provide me with this information, I'd personally make an effort to get your AP-620 up and running again. I also believe that there are adjustments to the the velocity curve and the brightness setting that will make you significantly happier with your AP-620.

I've emailed you. One of the problems is that the piano can no longer save settings even though BACKUP is ON. The other issue is that it can't be reset back to factory defaults though it use to be able to and now gets the "please wait" error, though I'm fortunate that it would go away upon reboot, where as other people are not so lucky.

#2066751 - 04/18/13 08:48 PM Re: Casio AP-650 [Re: andy0140]
Mike_Martin Offline

Got your note. You'll hear from someone tomorrow.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (Almaviva, aesop, 36251, accordeur, A Guy, 35 invisible), 1411 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156848 Topics
2304650 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
16 minutes 46 seconds ago
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
35 minutes 12 seconds ago
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
Today at 08:53 PM
Hello to Everyone and to PianoStudent88
by Gene Williams
Today at 08:23 PM
Is this Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
Today at 08:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission