Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2065761 - 04/16/13 11:06 PM 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses?
Hoosier Offline

Loc: California
Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated... I own a grand piano that I use regularly at my home. I recently purchased an upright so that I (and others) could use it at a family home--realistically only a few months a year. However, now that it is time to move it from dealer, I find myself wondering whether to spend money to move it cross country now or later. In other words, do I move it to family home now or move it to my house now? Anybody have experiences with 2 pianos or with underused pianos? Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2065768 - 04/16/13 11:25 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I don't have experience with owning two homes, or two pianos. But I have quite a bit of experience at transportation logistics. Moving it twice will cost a lot more money than moving it once, and it also increases the risk of damage. I would recommend moving it as few times as possible.

#2065773 - 04/16/13 11:33 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Hoosier Offline

Very good point on transportation cost and risk. Just to be clear--used second piano and not my second home! kind of embarrassed with how it reads.

#2065781 - 04/17/13 12:03 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Really overcomplicating the "move" thing. Uprights move easily. Unless it is an upstairs or downstairs move, it's Uhaul time, and they don't cost that much to rent. I don't think it cost effective to move an upright across the country because the cost of the move might exceed the value of the upright. How many miles is it actually being moved?

I grew up with two pianos in the house, the grand in the living room, the upright in my bedroom. There was never an issue of them both being used a decent amount.

#2065896 - 04/17/13 07:57 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Well, I don't know if this helps or not ( I hope it does) but I have three decent pianos in my home; two in my music room (a grand and a studio upright) and another upright in another room. Neither goes unplayed or unappreciated for any period of time. I always gravitate toward the grand, but I do play the uprights weekly.

If I had more room (and more money) I'd have a piano in every room! smile Not that I can play all that well, but I happen to like acoustic pianos (and I enjoy learning to play).

Good luck, what ever you decide.

Rick

#2065898 - 04/17/13 08:03 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I hope I'm understanding your post correctly. If you're buying the piano for the purposes of having a piano at the family home, then I'm guessing this home has times where no one is living in it? If that's the case, you may need to take some extra precautions about the conditions of the home when it is vacant (like temperature and humidity regulation).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2065915 - 04/17/13 08:52 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Rickster]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Well, I don't know if this helps or not ( I hope it does) but I have three decent pianos in my home; two in my music room (a grand and a studio upright) and another upright in another room. Neither goes unplayed or unappreciated for any period of time. I always gravitate toward the grand, but I do play the uprights weekly.

If I had more room (and more money) I'd have a piano in every room! smile Not that I can play all that well, but I happen to like acoustic pianos (and I enjoy learning to play).

Good luck, what ever you decide.

Rick

Funny you say that cause I still have my Hamilton Baldwin oldie upright on the other living room and yes, I spent most of the time on the Grand but I cant resist just sitting on the upright and playing a little, mainly the recital pieces for a change.
Totally different experience and it helps me get used to playing on a different piano so that I can adjust when recital time comes up and having to face a totally different piano there.

Edited by shaolin95 (04/17/13 08:53 AM)

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2065979 - 04/17/13 11:32 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
I would say leave the two at your one house and if you really want another one at the second home then buy a third piano. That takes care of that. I have two concert grands in two different rooms. One is an SD-6 Baldwin and the other is an 1871 restored Steinweg. People that visit get a kick out of new vs old/ European vs American etc.

Two in one home doesn't qualify for hoarding, at least not yet anyway smile
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2066264 - 04/17/13 10:57 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
I have two homes...one with a grand and a digital, and the other with a cheapie keyboard. When I'm in the second home, I really, really miss having a decent piano. I'm leaning toward moving your upright to the family home, so you can enjoy a real piano when you're there.

#2066294 - 04/17/13 11:52 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
A house is not a home without at least two pianos in it. (A drum kit, a good bass amp, and a B3 will help to warm the place up)

#2066442 - 04/18/13 08:51 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
gmf001 Offline

Loc: Uxbridge, ON, Canada
Having two pianos in the house is nice. You have two different experiences and if there's more than one pianist in the house it avoids arguments. In our household we have two large grands (an S&S B and a Shigeru SK7) far enough apart that you can just here the other one while you're playing, but not loud enough to annoy. It's a nice feeling (though not sure how the non-pianists feel :-) ) A Roland digital at the cabin rounds out the assortment when we're at the lake during summer (there we have to fight over it).

#2066601 - 04/18/13 03:18 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France

I must say that my experience of having two pianos seems not to be in line with the general view. I bought a Sauter a couple of years ago and neglected to dispose of my Schimmel. They stare balefully at one another from opposite walls. I fondly imagined that I might like to play both instruments, revelling in the subtle differences in tone and action between the two. What actually happens is that I play the Sauter all the time and the poor old Schimmel gathers dust.

#2067043 - 04/19/13 10:40 AM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
patH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
If I understand you correctly, the upright piano is for your "family home", not your home.

What I don't know: Is your family home unoccupied most of the time, or is it just you who are not there most of the time?
If it's the latter, I'd say: Send the upright to your family home.
If it's the former, then it depends on how the climatic conditions are. An unoccupied house can have huge variations in temperature and humidity (since it's not heated and the windows are closed); acoustic pianos might suffer from it and go out of tune quickly. In that case, a digital piano might be the more obvious choice.

#2067755 - 04/20/13 07:13 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Hoosier Offline

Thanks all. I've decided to not move upright. Temperature at family home is now 30F with light snow, last week it was 55F. Given that it wouldn't be played much when I'm not there, I don't want to ruin a good piano. Thanks again--as always this forum is helpful.

#2067757 - 04/20/13 07:16 PM Re: 2 Pianos-1 house or 2 houses? [Re: Hoosier]
Hoosier Offline

By the way, I'm fearing Jean-Claude's post about lack of play. Bottom line--don't get sucked in to buying another piano with plans to put a piano everywhere!!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
10/01/14 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
10/01/14 10:37 PM
piano beats in groups
by SKJP
10/01/14 09:42 PM
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
Who's Online
105 registered (Anticlock, anotherscott, ando, 36 invisible), 1280 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157937 Topics
2319444 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission