2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hoosier Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thoughts and experiences would be appreciated... I own a grand piano that I use regularly at my home. I recently purchased an upright so that I (and others) could use it at a family home--realistically only a few months a year. However, now that it is time to move it from dealer, I find myself wondering whether to spend money to move it cross country now or later. In other words, do I move it to family home now or move it to my house now? Anybody have experiences with 2 pianos or with underused pianos? Thanks.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I don't have experience with owning two homes, or two pianos. But I have quite a bit of experience at transportation logistics. Moving it twice will cost a lot more money than moving it once, and it also increases the risk of damage. I would recommend moving it as few times as possible.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
H
Hoosier Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Very good point on transportation cost and risk. Just to be clear--used second piano and not my second home! kind of embarrassed with how it reads.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Really overcomplicating the "move" thing. Uprights move easily. Unless it is an upstairs or downstairs move, it's Uhaul time, and they don't cost that much to rent. I don't think it cost effective to move an upright across the country because the cost of the move might exceed the value of the upright. How many miles is it actually being moved?

I grew up with two pianos in the house, the grand in the living room, the upright in my bedroom. There was never an issue of them both being used a decent amount.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I don't know if this helps or not ( I hope it does) but I have three decent pianos in my home; two in my music room (a grand and a studio upright) and another upright in another room. Neither goes unplayed or unappreciated for any period of time. I always gravitate toward the grand, but I do play the uprights weekly.

If I had more room (and more money) I'd have a piano in every room! smile Not that I can play all that well, but I happen to like acoustic pianos (and I enjoy learning to play).

Good luck, what ever you decide.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
I hope I'm understanding your post correctly. If you're buying the piano for the purposes of having a piano at the family home, then I'm guessing this home has times where no one is living in it? If that's the case, you may need to take some extra precautions about the conditions of the home when it is vacant (like temperature and humidity regulation).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Well, I don't know if this helps or not ( I hope it does) but I have three decent pianos in my home; two in my music room (a grand and a studio upright) and another upright in another room. Neither goes unplayed or unappreciated for any period of time. I always gravitate toward the grand, but I do play the uprights weekly.

If I had more room (and more money) I'd have a piano in every room! smile Not that I can play all that well, but I happen to like acoustic pianos (and I enjoy learning to play).

Good luck, what ever you decide.

Rick

Funny you say that cause I still have my Hamilton Baldwin oldie upright on the other living room and yes, I spent most of the time on the Grand but I cant resist just sitting on the upright and playing a little, mainly the recital pieces for a change.
Totally different experience and it helps me get used to playing on a different piano so that I can adjust when recital time comes up and having to face a totally different piano there.

Last edited by shaolin95; 04/17/13 08:53 AM.
N
N
I would say leave the two at your one house and if you really want another one at the second home then buy a third piano. That takes care of that. I have two concert grands in two different rooms. One is an SD-6 Baldwin and the other is an 1871 restored Steinweg. People that visit get a kick out of new vs old/ European vs American etc.

Two in one home doesn't qualify for hoarding, at least not yet anyway smile

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
I have two homes...one with a grand and a digital, and the other with a cheapie keyboard. When I'm in the second home, I really, really miss having a decent piano. I'm leaning toward moving your upright to the family home, so you can enjoy a real piano when you're there.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
A house is not a home without at least two pianos in it. (A drum kit, a good bass amp, and a B3 will help to warm the place up)

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
G
G
Having two pianos in the house is nice. You have two different experiences and if there's more than one pianist in the house it avoids arguments. In our household we have two large grands (an S&S B and a Shigeru SK7) far enough apart that you can just here the other one while you're playing, but not loud enough to annoy. It's a nice feeling (though not sure how the non-pianists feel :-) ) A Roland digital at the cabin rounds out the assortment when we're at the lake during summer (there we have to fight over it).

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

I must say that my experience of having two pianos seems not to be in line with the general view. I bought a Sauter a couple of years ago and neglected to dispose of my Schimmel. They stare balefully at one another from opposite walls. I fondly imagined that I might like to play both instruments, revelling in the subtle differences in tone and action between the two. What actually happens is that I play the Sauter all the time and the poor old Schimmel gathers dust.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I understand you correctly, the upright piano is for your "family home", not your home.

What I don't know: Is your family home unoccupied most of the time, or is it just you who are not there most of the time?
If it's the latter, I'd say: Send the upright to your family home.
If it's the former, then it depends on how the climatic conditions are. An unoccupied house can have huge variations in temperature and humidity (since it's not heated and the windows are closed); acoustic pianos might suffer from it and go out of tune quickly. In that case, a digital piano might be the more obvious choice.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
H
Hoosier Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks all. I've decided to not move upright. Temperature at family home is now 30F with light snow, last week it was 55F. Given that it wouldn't be played much when I'm not there, I don't want to ruin a good piano. Thanks again--as always this forum is helpful.

H
Hoosier Offline OP
OP Offline
H
By the way, I'm fearing Jean-Claude's post about lack of play. Bottom line--don't get sucked in to buying another piano with plans to put a piano everywhere!!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission